Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Lead NFC East

Burgold

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Four division games left and a two game lead.  We're definitely in control of our fate.  But this team isn't really better than Dallas or Philly.  We could still fart this thing away.  We need to get to ten wins to punch our ticket.

With this roster, having our fate in our hands this late in the season is nothing short of impressive.  We can say what we want about whether the roster should look like this, especially on offense, but how many times was season supposed to be over by now?

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

Over the years, the football gods have hated us. Every fumble bounced straight into the hands of the opponent. Every fluke that was possible to derail a game derailed a game. We have lost in the craziest ways possible. We gave up twenty point leads with 3 minutes left in the game!

We absolutely won by fluke yesterday. The football gods for once smiled at us and moved us out of their hell.

I'm okay with that.

I told my brother yesterday that some of the games we've won this year turned to losses in other past seasons.  The luck we have had this year is crazy, but I will enjoy it as long as it lasts.

8 hours ago, Burgold said:

True and I agree... but missing that 20 yard field goal is kinda flukey! In any case, I agree we won because of both timely really good defensive plays, miscues by TB's offense, and one or two happy flukes.

Yeah, but even a 20 yard fg and the other miss wouldn't have made the game that much closer. Both misses would have tied the game, so we're taking about simply having to get the lead again. But we had stopped them on both those drives and one was a 48 yarder which is not a gimmie. 

8 minutes ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

I told my brother yesterday that some of the games we've won this year turned to losses in other past seasons.  The luck we have had this year is crazy, but I will enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Yep, that Dallas game that FG goes in and we lose in overtime in previous years, for sure.  I believe a lot of that is due to the defense limiting the opportunities of other teams.  Luck is preparation times opportunity, take one out, no luck.  Dallas coulda got closer or busted a play for the lead, but they didn't.

1 hour ago, ThePackisback said:

You guys think the 91 team was one of the best of all time as far as Super Bowl champs go?

Yes. But don't take my word for it.

"This team was one of the most dominant NFL teams of all time despite playing with a bunch of guys that other franchises viewed as castoffs. During the 1991 regular season, the Redskins outscored their opponents by a combined score of 485-224 and outscored their playoff opponents by a combined score of 102-41."

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-top-7-super-bowl-winning-teams-of-all-time.html/

"4. 1991 Redskins
As ESPN contributor Eddie Epstein has noted, you can look at two stats to get a pretty good idea of just how great a team is: yards gained per pass attempt, and yards allowed per pass attempt. The 1991 'Skins topped the NFL in each category, with Mark Rypien averaging 8.5 yards per attempt, while his colleagues on Washington's defense allowed only 6 yards per attempt.

Rypien's targets? Art Monk, who caught 71 passes for 1,049 yards, and Gary Clark, who averaged almost 20 yards per catch, gaining 1,340 yards on 70 receptions. Washington was also good on the ground, with Earnest Byner and Ricky Ervins combining for 1,708 yards.

The 'Skins outscored their opponents 485-224, and they had a tough schedule. After going 14-2, they romped through the NFC playoffs, beating the Falcons 24-7 and demolishing the Lions 41-10 on their way to the Super Bowl. In the Big Game, the 'Skins beat the cursed early-1990s Bills 37-24."

http://www.espn.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/greatest.html

44 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Yes. But don't take my word for it.

"This team was one of the most dominant NFL teams of all time despite playing with a bunch of guys that other franchises viewed as castoffs. During the 1991 regular season, the Redskins outscored their opponents by a combined score of 485-224 and outscored their playoff opponents by a combined score of 102-41."

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-top-7-super-bowl-winning-teams-of-all-time.html/

"4. 1991 Redskins
As ESPN contributor Eddie Epstein has noted, you can look at two stats to get a pretty good idea of just how great a team is: yards gained per pass attempt, and yards allowed per pass attempt. The 1991 'Skins topped the NFL in each category, with Mark Rypien averaging 8.5 yards per attempt, while his colleagues on Washington's defense allowed only 6 yards per attempt.

Rypien's targets? Art Monk, who caught 71 passes for 1,049 yards, and Gary Clark, who averaged almost 20 yards per catch, gaining 1,340 yards on 70 receptions. Washington was also good on the ground, with Earnest Byner and Ricky Ervins combining for 1,708 yards.

The 'Skins outscored their opponents 485-224, and they had a tough schedule. After going 14-2, they romped through the NFC playoffs, beating the Falcons 24-7 and demolishing the Lions 41-10 on their way to the Super Bowl. In the Big Game, the 'Skins beat the cursed early-1990s Bills 37-24."

http://www.espn.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/greatest.html

What was the biggest strengths of the 91 team?

8 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

Everything. That ESPN paragraph that Morneblade cites pretty much sums it up. I would say the offense, particularly the passing game, was a greater strength than the defense, but the D was still rock solid. The D shut out three of the first five opponents......those shutouts are the last the Skins have had, period. 

I think the '91 Skins are sort of forgetten even by Skins fans because of that lack of a signature playoff moment or win. 82 team had the win over the Cowboys and Riggo's SB run. 83 had the win over Montana's 49ers. 87 had Green's punt -return hurdle over Chicago and the seconf quarter TD outburst in the SB.  The 91 team could only play the teams in front of them, and the playoffs were just workmanlike butt-kickings over ATL and DET (two teams which really did nothing before or after that season) and the Bills, in the midst of losing four SBs in a row. 

16 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

There were no weaknesses. It would take less time to talk about the weaknesses than the strengths. They were the 85 Bears on steroids. No one talks about that team but they were far and away the single most dominant football team in the modern era. They lost 2 games, 1 because they were 11-0. Both were division games. 1 against a Dallas team that was young but went on to win 3 of 4 Superbowls and a game against a Philly team that was a dominant defensive force. That was game 16 that season and they had locked up everything they could and rested everyone. Point differential in those 2 games? 5 points. We lost 2 games by 5 points. Went into the playoffs and beat the 2 opponents 24-7 and 41-10. Super Bowl was over by halftime.

16 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

There were no weaknesses. It would take less time to talk about the weaknesses than the strengths. They were the 85 Bears on steroids. No one talks about that team but they were far and away the single most dominant football team in the modern era. They lost 2 games, 1 because they were 11-0. Both were division games. 1 against a Dallas team that was young but went on to win 3 of 4 Superbowls and a game against a Philly team that was a dominant defensive force. That was game 16 that season and they had locked up everything they could and rested everyone. Point differential in those 2 games? 5 points. We lost 2 games by 5 points. Went into the playoffs and beat the 2 opponents 24-7 and 41-10. Super Bowl was over by halftime.

Question for ya? You think the 96 Packers were as good?

1 hour ago, ThePackisback said:

Question for ya? You think the 96 Packers were as good?

No. Honestly, the 91' Redskins were likely the most complete team ever. Here is a stat you will never see again. They gave up 7 sacks for the entire year.

7 sacks over 16 games. On 447 attempts.

Tot Yds & TO     Passing Rushing Penalties
Player                     PF    Yds     Ply    Y/P   TO  FL 1stD Cmp Att Yds TD Int NY/A 1stD Att Yds TD Y/A 1stD Pen Yds 1stPy
Team Stats 485 5741 996 5.8 23 12 302 261 447 3692 30 11 8.1 179 540 2049 21 3.8 107 90 798 16
Opp. Stats 224 4293 946 4.5 41 14 242 292 548 2947 13 27 4.9 151 348 1346 11 3.9 72 94 767 19
Lg Rank Offense 1 4     3 4 9   26 5 2 3 1   1 7 1 18        
Lg Rank Defense 2 3     3 14 3   27 9 5 2 2   2 3 12 11        

1 minute ago, ThePackisback said:

It hurts that we are 4-4-1 too. Losing always stings. We have been spoiled since Farve came along in 1992 lol. I think the Skins are almost there as far as being a consistent playoff team.

Farce is one of my all time favorites..He was a great one

32 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

You think we can beat Seattle Thursday night? I agree Farve was great but he did make a lot of mistakes. He was a gunslinger.

I think the packers can win that game. The Seahawks are not the team they used to be. Losing key pieces to their defense and a few offensive players i think has a lot to do with that. They’re 4-5 now. 

42 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

It hurts that we are 4-4-1 too. Losing always stings. We have been spoiled since Farve came along in 1992 lol. I think the Skins are almost there as far as being a consistent playoff team.

You guys are wasting Rodgers prime.  You should've won a couple of more Superbowls but your head coach has held the team back.

Czaban has been critical of McCarthy and not watching the Packers enough, not sure why. Green Bay has posted consistent double digit win seasons except the ones where AR has missed significant time due to injury. Problem with GB is that they always seem to be the 3 or 4 speed heading into the paloffs and eventually wind up playing better teams on the road. Of course, in 2011 they were 15-1 and lost to home (to the Giants, who had beat the 16-0 Pats four years earlier). And that loss at Seattle in the NFCCG featured some pretty bizarre things.

As for the Skins, they seem to be in good shape, but not a lock, to take the division. But they are going to have to win a home playoff game, something this team hasn't done since 1999, to get folks to really buy in for 2019, IMO.

Archived