Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The airline experience has become miserable

No Excuses

11 minutes ago, China said:

If we're doing the "I remember" thing, I remember when airlines supplied actual metal knives, forks and spoons with in flight meals.  I think my father still has some he took home from National and Allegheny (now USAir) airlines.

Also, if you've never seen it, watch the movie, The Parallax View.  It is entertaining in that in one scene the guy goes right up to the gate, pays for a ticket in cash and walks on the plane.

i can remember smoking on planes. Pretty sure the several dozen times i flew across the ocean as a youngun in a sealed metal tube filled with smoke shaved years off my life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zoony said:

i can remember smoking on planes. Pretty sure the several dozen times i flew across the ocean as a youngun in a sealed metal tube filled with smoke shaved years off my life.

The funny part was when they had a smoking and non-smoking section.  As if that mattered.  The smoke from the smoking section travelled to the rest of the plane anyway.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Being a young(er looking), brown, male has never helped make it more fun. I can't count the number of times I've been "randomly" selected for extra searches or interviews.  

Not to start an anecdotal battle, but I am white and feel that if there is profiling I must be the most unlucky white guy in the world. 

I hardly fly more than 2-3 times per year, I would say I've been selected 4 times in the past 3 years

36 minutes ago, China said:

Also, if you've never seen it, watch the movie, The Parallax View.  It is entertaining in that in one scene the guy goes right up to the gate, pays for a ticket in cash and walks on the plane.

While smoking a cigar,  I remember those days

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Not to start an anecdotal battle, but I am white and feel that if there is profiling I must be the most unlucky white guy in the world. 

I hardly fly more than 2-3 times per year, I would say I've been selected 4 times in the past 3 years

Yea I always feel that it is weird that I am a white Male traveling on a US military ID and can't remember the last time I wasn't  selected for a random check.  I always figure I am their token guy to say they aren't profiling. 

My cousin’s husband works for Bill Nelson on the Senate committee which oversees the airlines. He frequently has the chance to speak to airline CEOs on these issues. 

The amount of ****ing airline CEOs do is unreal. They won’t budge an inch and want Congress to do something about the gulf carriers that are eating the lunch of American carriers overseas. There isn’t any compromise, so I wish all you schlubs stuck in economy good luck. 

(Due to am absurd amount of flying back and forth to Cali in ‘16 for work travel I now have a head start in getting Delta status and I am lucky enough to get bumped up. I abhor domestic economy) 

Edited by SkinsHokieFan
  • Like 1

I haven't flown in years but one of the last times was from Albuquerque to National with stop in Dallas. The TSAs decided to pick on a white guy about my age who had been to either Sandia or White Sands and had more clearances to think of. This one TSA started being really rude and bullying, pulling the guy aside and going through his carry on etc. This is at the gate. The white guy I know had higher clearances than the TSA could even dream of. 

I think I took one trip after that, then decided never to fly again. Can't deal with all the TSA stuff.

Give me a small seat, fat neighbor, loud talking jerks within a couple seats of me -- but if I have headphones and entertainment and my own snacks.

I don't care.

Summer travel season just ended... I abhor the summer business trips... I hate family travelers, including my own wife who doesn't care what time she shows up at the gate.

But it honestly beats a car ride for 10 hours... for price and speed.

To the reclining seat guy -- they are made to recline... I normally will recline my chair 50%... the only person this hurts is the poor schmo in the back bulkhead who cant recline.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

To the reclining seat guy -- they are made to recline... I normally will recline my chair 50%

Okay maybe not ebola then.  Flu

10 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

My cousin’s husband works for Bill Nelson on the Senate committee which oversees the airlines. He frequently has the chance to speak to airline CEOs on these issues. 

The amount of ****ing airline CEOs do is unreal. They won’t budge an inch and want Congress to do something about the gulf carriers that are eating the lunch of American carriers overseas. There isn’t any compromise, so I wish all you schlubs stuck in economy good luck. 

(Due to am absurd amount of flying back and forth to Cali in ‘16 for work travel I now have a head start in getting Delta status and I am lucky enough to get bumped up. I abhor domestic economy) 

Carriers are printing money.  Its disgusting, the moment they hit a rough patch the government will bail them out again

All of you complainers are elitists who are uncomfortable having to be squashed by the fat hoi polloi.  Discomfort is the direct result of efficiency and democracy.  This article speaks to all of your concerns: https://qz.com/quartzy/1395661/why-you-should-be-glad-to-sit-in-the-middle-seat/

In all seriousness, he does make some good points.

I've always thought the airline experience is something that no one really liked but everyone tolerates.  I mean, what counts as a great flight?  You arrive 20 minutes earlier than you thought you would, no turbulence and a smooth landing on the runway.  Unless you get to sit next to a smoking hot member of the opposite sex (or if you're LSF, the same sex :headbang:), strike up a conversation and get their number, that's practically the only thing that can make it a great flight.

I've flown a bunch over the years and I've never once thought to rave about how great my airline experience was.  Even if I never get selected by the TSA to be harassed, even if I don't get stuck next to the fat guy, even if the guy in front of me doesn't recline (I'll recline too, it's like dominos falling), even if the kids in the row in behind of me can shut the **** up and make it the whole way without making noise...did I really enjoy it?  Probably not.  If none of those things happen, and the flight leaves on time, there's no turbulence and we get there a little early with a silky smooth landing...I'm thankful for that but I'm not about to high five the crew on the way out and write a nice Yelp review or something.

I look at flying kinda like being stuck in the middle of a bank robbery (not that I have been, but I've watched enough movies).  Everyone stay calm, turn over your money, shut the **** up, don't make any sudden movements and we'll get through this thing together.

Look at this review from Johanna L on Yelp about her recent terrible flight from Dulles to San Francisco:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/united-airlines-dulles

Long before all the negative press United Airlines received, I had a previous subpar experience on an international flight. Since then, this has definitely not been my preferred airline. I will say this particular flight ended up being much more enjoyable than anticipated only because it ended up being less than half full. It was also a holiday weekend so we thought it was rather strange but we'll take it! We pretty much could have all had our own aisle and window seats. Some of the guests took advantage of the entire row to sleep - it was great! The flight attendants were very attentive as we made their job easier
with so few guests! The flight attendants were also very patient and professional with several guests who tried to "upgrade themselves" and cause drama. Also, I will note the leg room is pretty good for economy and the seats were nicely maintained. Due to the lighter load - not only did we depart Dulles early, we arrived almost an hour early into SFO. SCORE! 

Ok, so long before negative press UA received she had a subpar experience and it's still not her preferred airline BUT SHE STILL BOOKED WITH THEM ANYWAY.  And Johanna got lucky enough to fly on a half full plane on a holiday weekend!  You've got a better chance of hitting a Powerball ticket.  Legroom!  GOT THERE AN HOUR EARLY!?!?! Score!

But oh no, can't be thankful for a half full plane and arriving early!

However, with that being said there were still several things that bothered me. For starters, there was no wifi on this flight for whatever reason. No TV screens in front of the seats (does United just not have them anymore?) which would be fine except we couldn't get anything to work on our personal devices either.  Basically, there was very little to do for almost 5 hours. I slept...A LOT, read the flight magazine cover to cover, and annoyed my travel companion haha!  

Oh my god, 5 hours without wifi and no TV screens!  How does anyone in 2018 America cope?

Couldn't get your personal devices to work?  Sounds like your personal problem, Jo!  Maybe you should have charged the batteries before you left so you could play Angry Birds on the plane!!  How about picking up a book or some magazines in the terminal?  

She wasn't entertained for A WHOLE FIVE HOURS!  There was very little to do on her flight so she slept A LOT in five hours.  But still found time to read the flight magazine cover to cover and annoy her travel companion.

haha!

This was also my first experience with BASIC ECONOMY which doesn't allow a full carry on - what?! For how expensive the flight still was, I thought it was ridiculous. However, there ended up being so much room in the overhead bins that we put one of our bags up there anyway. NOTE TO SELF: never book basic economy, this girl can't deal haha!).

Whoa, Johanna really slumming it with us commoners in BASIC ECONOMY.  So since this girl can't deal with all the legroom, a half full plane and arriving an hour early on a holiday weekend (that's why it was expensive you dumb ****) she needs to remind us that when she flies, she's better than us.  

haha!

The gate /terminal area was really dated with very limited food options. It was rather disappointing in my opinion. The in flight options seemed decent though at reasonable prices but we decided to just wait it out and make something once we got home. 

Ah, yeah.  I hate it when I go to public places and they look dated.  When I take public transportation, I expect the latest and greatest decor.  Limited food options, what'd you expect, Michelin-Starred chefs and all the accoutrements at the gate?  It's fast food and casual dining in pretty much every single airport.  

Whew, she had to wait it out and make something when she got home after a 5 hour flight with no wifi and TV.  I don't know how she did it.  People run ultra marathons, graduate from top schools and perform amazing feats of invention and engineering, survive terrible natural elements in hurricanes and blizzards and Jo is patting herself on the back for waiting out mediocre food options so she could make something when she got home.  I don't know how she did it.

Hey Jo, how are those reasonable prices in San Francisco?

As mentioned earlier, I haven't flown on United in quite some time. This is still not my airline of choice but if I were to fly with them again, at least I know how to be better prepared!

2 stars out of 5 for Johanna because she got a half full flight on a holiday weekend, legroom, and arrived an hour early and couldn't cope with 5 hours of no wifi and TV because she didn't prepare herself properly.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Haha 3

On 9/28/2018 at 6:38 AM, No Excuses said:

This is just a general rant. Over the past few months I have been traveling quite frequently for work. Flying is just an absolutely horrendous experience at this point.

It is remarkable that in a country where a substantial chunk of the population is obese or overweight, seats on aircrafts have gotten exponentially smaller to squeeze more and more people into a single flight. The end result is a miserable experience for everyone involved.

Yesterday on a three hour flight, I was squeezed into my already tiny seat because the passenger adjacent to me couldn't fit into her seating space. I had to give up about a quarter of my seating space to her.

Most airlines have instituted policies for larger passengers of size, and countries like Canada mandate that such passengers be given a 2nd seat at no additional charge. I know most US airlines have policies in place to accommodate passenger comfort but I don't think this ever gets enforced. 

Something needs to change.

I'm in san jose now i flew six hours to be here I have no complaints

just get a tablet and download stuff then watch. problem solved

oh also fly jetblue. so much leg room and tv on my flight. it wasn't working from boston though

On 9/28/2018 at 7:00 AM, No Excuses said:

I have this option too but for some reason I feel compelled to pick the most economic option aside from flying in the absolute pits of air travel (Spirit etc). But I think United has entered that territory now.

I'm going to look into Jet Blue or Virgin from here on out.

more leg room and DirecTV on flight, although it didn't work for my second one. but i had coach and sat at row 3 with ample leg space. definitely fly jetblue and hope your tv service works because it's huge. was watching kavanaugh hearings on plane Thursday

I fail to see where "the airline experience" got worse. (Maybe the 80s or early 90s) It has sucked for decades. I've had to deal with all kinds of BS on flights going back 20+ years. Over a decade ago I sat in a seat with a 6ft5 500pounder in the next seat. Nobody did **** about it. If it wasn't a 1 hr flight I would have raised hell though.

I'm white too, got the full jihadi terrorist treatment in the airport before leaving the US (on US military orders) and then entering another country. Like really? I'm already off the airplane and you still want to search all of my **** and then ask questions about all of it? Despite the fact that your country (Japan) has stores that sells the most ridiculous form of pron known on the planet? Ok, have fun then!

My most recent experience was the realization that I shouldn't ever again buy a ticket from any website like vayama, Travelocity, or expedia. I ended up not flying to my wife for Christmas last year because vayama didn't inform me that my flight changed and didn't give me a different itinerary.  This was known to them 3 months before my flight in December (I know this because I filed a complaint with the US government and that was the response from the airline) yet I was not informed until the day before my flight that i needed to simply change my flight itinerary because my original flight changed by 2 hours in China making my exiting flight impossible.

Then Vayama, after calling them at least 10 times, tells me that they fixed it and I can fly on the same flight leaving  the US and a different f!ight leaving Beijing but after I drive 4hours to Dulles I'm informed at check-in that I have a reservation for the flight but its not paid for by Hahn Air! So I ask who is Hahn Air? I bought a flight from Vayama! So I'm standing there for about an hour talking on my cellphone to Vayama while the guy is patiently waiting for my ticket to be paid for. But finally I'm told on the phone with Vayama that Hahn Air is refusing to pay for the ticket (despite the fact that they told me earlier not to worry, just go to the airport and get your ticket there) and therefore I am screwed.  I'm yelling at the guy WHO the hell is Hahn Air? I have a reservation for this flight, I'm standing here trying to check in and all you have to do is Pay for it! I already paid you months ago!!! Nothing is done and the guy basically tells me that I shouldn't have even gone to the airport despite the fact that they told me earlier that it's not a problem that my e-ticket isn't available online and I can just check in at the airport.

So I have to find a way to get back home and find another ticket  (on December 19th) despite already paying for a ticket. I finally get back home that night and file a complaint and immediately the airline tells me that my ticket was originally purchased by Hahn Air, resold to me by Vayama and that they notified Hahn Air in September that they changed the flight times. Therefore Vayama purchases their flights from a middle man company called Hahn Air. So do all of those websites apparently. From now on I'm only buying directly from the airline even if it's more money and I have to buy separate tickets from a different airline to get to where I'm going. I ended up having to miss my wife's birthday and Christmas and New year because vayama is a piece of **** company. I bought another ticket and didn't leave until January 6th because Vayama never found a ticket for me and I didn't want to wait anymore.

The airlines do suck but even worse is the BS you have to go through at the airports and changing flights in foreign countries, I.E. China.

• Sad 1

On 9/28/2018 at 10:47 AM, zoony said:

biases towards passengers who are dumb enough to sign up for airline credit cards

Hey, I resemble that remark. 

Actually, I got a United saphhire (I think that's what it's called) card when I traveled a lot because I got 4 free lounge passes, free checked luggage and a few other things.  I traveled enough for pleasure and work, it was worth the fee, which I called and had waived every year because I traveled enough, and at the time, spent enough money on the card.

After kids, we now use a Disney card.  Had almost a free trip to Disney World last year.  That there is some useful benefit when you have kids...

I have an international flight coming up.  Thankfully Im sitting next to my wife, i am way stronger and i will dominate the armrest.

I might be stronger than my wife, but I always get stuck in the middle seat and never get armrest dominance.  Which is a microcosm of my life...

It is `economy plus` for the 9 hour leg, and business class for the 3 hour leg.  Im curious to see how economy plus is

What airline? I never, eva, eva eva fly a US airline internationally.  Recently, we've flown British Airways, last year to London and this year to Barcelona, and their premium economy is like domestic business class in most airlines.  It's very good.  My wife flew Emirates to Thailand.  Loved it.  I used to fly Lufthansa, but haven't in a while.  That's the most efficient airline ever.  They managed to load a 747 in India, with Indians, in 45 minutes. Honestly, I would have thought finding a cure to cancer would have been easier.  (As a person of Indian decent, I feel like I am somewhat justified in being able to comment on this, as it comes from a place of experience and (mostly) love.) 

Compared to Air India, where the procedure typically takes 3 days, that's rather impressive.  I haven't flown Air India since I was a kid, but the boarding gate is right next to Lufthansa in Mumbai, or was.  We had flight times which were about 10 minutes apart, with Lufthansa leaving slightly before.  The AI flight started boarding an hour before the Lufthansa flight. I KID YOU NOT.  It started over 2 hours before departure.  There didn't seem to be any system.  Just "Plane door is open, GO!"  We were boarded, door closed and ready to go before AI had finished boarding. There were also at least 3 screaming matches between passenger and gate crew over there.  It was absolutely incredible. 

7 hours ago, Xameil said:

I fly quite frequently, and almost exclusively United due to the international travel. The times I havent flown United, my experiences havent been any different in some cases it was worse. In fact because of my status, United treats me well.

I was 1k United for a while.  I honestly think you're basically flying a different airline.  There's really no similarity to normal travelers.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, No Excuses said:

This is just a general rant. Over the past few months I have been traveling quite frequently for work. Flying is just an absolutely horrendous experience at this point.

It is remarkable that in a country where a substantial chunk of the population is obese or overweight, seats on aircrafts have gotten exponentially smaller to squeeze more and more people into a single flight. The end result is a miserable experience for everyone involved.

Yesterday on a three hour flight, I was squeezed into my already tiny seat because the passenger adjacent to me couldn't fit into her seating space. I had to give up about a quarter of my seating space to her.

Most airlines have instituted policies for larger passengers of size, and countries like Canada mandate that such passengers be given a 2nd seat at no additional charge. I know most US airlines have policies in place to accommodate passenger comfort but I don't think this ever gets enforced. 

I personally think that if you can't fit into a seat, you should have to purchase a second seat at a discount.  While I don't think there should be discrimination in any way, the simple fact of the matter is that it's not the airline's fault they need to give up a second seat, and to your point, it's not fair to other paying customers either. 

Also, as an aside, we just have to figure out how to reduce the number of grossly overweight individuals. And we need to re-define what that means.  Part of the problem is that obese is defined in a way that is ridiculous, and it's politically driven.  We need more honestly and ability to change habits early so we have less people with these severe health issues.  Not only is it bad for the individual, but it puts a strain on just about every part of our society.  I like McDonalds and chocolate and candy as much as anybody, but somehow I manage to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

We need to focus on this as a society, and make it both easy and inexpensive to be healthy.  But that's probably for another thread. 

• Like 1

Good luck taking a train to the Caribbean.

Buncha whiners in this thread.  If you're complaining about other people being loud on an airplane put on some ****ing headphones.

I have a pretty regular routine when I fly now a days, which is like 5 or so times a year soley for vacations.  I typically fly SW as I mentioned due to points and getting free flights for us everywhere.  I pretty much pop on my headphones and start playing my Switch like 2 minutes after takeoff because I enjoy taking off and looking out the window.  Then I'll get double jack and coke, and depending on the length of the flight, I may get more of those.  Then after we land I turn off my Switch and I'm in some place warm and sunny with clear water, except on the return flight.  Then it's usually rainy and/or cold in Baltimore.  I hate Baltimore.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, No Excuses said:

Airlines es should be able to charge for a second seat. If you require two seats, and you want to fly, you should have to buy two seats. But hey, at least they are getting rid of the emotional support parakeets... so, it’s not all doom and gloom.  In the mean time, why don’t you mention to your overly obese friend that planet fitness has memberships for 9.99/mo. Shaming? Sure, but bro, you could save her life. Isn’t that worth a little shame.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

This isn't a discussion about how obese or large people need to lose weight. That is not going to happen overnight.

100% we need to adopt the Canadian model. You either start making seats that are big enough to accommodate people comfortably or you offer larger people a second seat for free on your tiny ****ty planes.

I've flown on Canadian airlines and even their cheaper airlines like Porter are significantly better than the crap we pay for.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In the mean time, why don’t you mention to your overly obese friend that planet fitness has memberships for 9.99/mo. Shaming? Sure, but bro, you could save her life. Isn’t that worth a little shame.

Comments like this are always 100% made by chuds who themselves could use the 9.99/mo planet fitness membership.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

This isn't a discussion about how obese or large people need to lose weight. That is not going to happen overnight.

100% we need to adopt the Canadian model. You either start making seats that are big enough to accommodate people comfortably or you offer larger people a second seat for free on your tiny ****ty planes.

I've flown on Canadian airlines and even their cheaper airlines like Porter are significantly better than the crap we pay for.

I really think a lot of it comes back to all of these travel websites. 

Travel is 100 percent sold on price. Got a vacation coming up?  Go on all the travel sites and choose the cheapest flight. 

Airlines know this. We have incentified the airlines to provide the cheapest up front price possible. What this means

Excessive baggage fees. This is a back end charge. Doesn’t show up in the up front price. Which leads to everyone carrying on, making the confined space even more miserable. Not to mention the mob at the end of the jetway that we all must navigate thru. 

Tiny seats. More seats, lower up front fares. The consumer has made it clear that more legroom is not worth $50 per ticket.  

No more freebies of any kind. Airlines trying to sell you on everything from the moment you book. Credit cards, box lunches, exit row seats, etc

again the market is broken. This is like a remedial case study on why libertarians are ****ing idiots.