Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to sign Adrian Peterson per NFL.com

Reaper Skins

Damn, we have a lot riding on this game. AP will probably have to be the one to lead us to victory. Zboy is going to get his yards and do damage so think the game may come down to he vs AP.

How glorious would it be to win one for Rich Tandler, AP to break Dorsett's record, and Riggo's, all on the same day.

If anyone needs a maintenance day, its definitely him. The ankle, the "how was it not hypered" hypered knee, and popped out shoulder... The guy plays as hard as anyone on our team. The man's a menace!

18 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Damn, we have a lot riding on this game. AP will probably have to be the one to lead us to victory. Zboy is going to get his yards and do damage so think the game may come down to he vs AP.

How glorious would it be to win one for Rich Tandler, AP to break Dorsett's record, and Riggo's, all on the same day.

If anyone needs a maintenance day, its definitely him. The ankle, the "how was it not hypered" hypered knee, and popped out shoulder... The guy plays as hard as anyone on our team. The man's a menace!

We are so lucky to have him. I'm concerned he won't last much longer at this rate, though. 

Alex is going to need to step up his game so we have something else to offer on offense otherwise we will be a sub-.500 team.

4 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We are so lucky to have him. I'm concerned he won't last much longer at this rate, though. 

Alex is going to need to step up his game so we have something else to offer on offense otherwise we will be a sub-.500 team.

It's mind boggling that Doug brought him in for a workout, yet didn't tell Allen.  With Guice going down, it seems such a no brainer. What the hell is Allen doing these days anyways.  AP still looks a man among boys at times.

I am happy to see Adrian was back (limited) at practice; indeed folks here were right and it was a presumed maintenance day. I do think we need to have Bibbs and Perine active this week, and give AP a series or 2 off.  Especially if the game gets out of hand.  We are in this for the long haul and he is already nicked up. Not all backs have Frank Gore DNA.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

It's mind boggling that Doug brought him in for a workout, yet didn't tell Allen.  With Guice going down, it seems such a no brainer. What the hell is Allen doing these days anyways.  AP still looks a man among boys at times.

I am happy to see Adrian was back (limited) at practice; indeed folks here were right and it was a presumed maintenance day. I do think we need to have Bibbs and Perine active this week, and give AP a series or 2 off.  Especially if the game gets out of hand.  We are in this for the long haul and he is already nicked up. Not all backs have Frank Gore DNA.

This fact alone argues for elevating Doug and/or others in the FO who argued for this to a decision making level in the organization. 

26 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Don’t get your hopes up in smith he’s playing at exactly the average level he’s played at the last thirteen years...last year was an anomaly 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Don’t get your hopes up in smith he’s playing at exactly the average level he’s played at the last thirteen years...last year was an anomaly 

Exactly I don't know what Gruden thought he was getting in Smith, but he's nothing but average. With that being said Cousins couldn't win here either. So at least Smith is cheaper, but this team needs to think about looking for his replacement in a year or so. 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I'd contend that Smith can improve a bit. I don't know that I'd classify him as "average" over his five games here. He's got to be bottom-third of the league thus far. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'd contend that Smith can improve a bit. I don't know that I'd classify him as "average" over his five games here. He's got to be bottom-third of the league thus far. 

I would counter with Alex this year doesn't have the Defense and RB's he's used to having either. But yes, I think SiP said he was ranked in the 20's so far this year. Granted, this is a new team for him, so growing pains should have been expected. And as I've said on numerous occasions, he needed more pre-season work. But Alex is probably not a good fit for the offense, and even when he is, he's just ok.

22 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I would counter with Alex this year doesn't have the Defense and RB's he's used to having either. But yes, I think SiP said he was ranked in the 20's so far this year. Granted, this is a new team for him, so growing pains should have been expected. And as I've said on numerous occasions, he needed more pre-season work. But Alex is probably not a good fit for the offense, and even when he is, he's just ok.

I’ll be the first to say I am concerned about our run game and defense.  That both are not as good as they’ve looked.  With that said, we’re ranked pretty high in many of the pertinent categories - rush yds/game (O and D), takeaways/game, pts/game, etc.  To be fair, our rushing ypa is rather low.  

I’d argue our run game isn’t quite as good as he had in KC, but our defense is better than what he had (for the most part).  That’s not factoring in that his not-so-good play has stalled more drives, lead to fewer opportunities for the run game, allowed defenses to focus more on stopping the run, and has put more pressure on the defense.  

I do agree he needed more time in the preseason, though I can’t imagine 10 or 15 more plays putting him much further ahead than he is now.  Starting to really agree with your last statement.  I said around the time of the trade that it probably made a lot more sense for him to land in Cleveland or Denver (SIP keeps mentioning Jacksonville, which probably would have been a good fit as well).  Of course, that opinion was not based on schematic fit, but rather a philosophical fit.  

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’ll be the first to say I am concerned about our run game and defense.  That both are not as good as they’ve looked.  With that said, we’re ranked pretty high in many of the pertinent categories - rush yds/game (O and D), takeaways/game, pts/game, etc.  To be fair, our rushing ypa is rather low.  

I’d argue our run game isn’t quite as good as he had in KC, but our defense is better than what he had (for the most part).  That’s not factoring in that his not-so-good play has stalled more drives, lead to fewer opportunities for the run game, allowed defenses to focus more on stopping the run, and has put more pressure on the defense.  

I would say KC had a better Defense over the AS years, but not much better. Half of the time he was there it was top 5 or higher. The last 2 years it's fallen off, but before then it was elite. Ours is not, IMO. Not yet anyway.

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I do agree he needed more time in the preseason, though I can’t imagine 10 or 15 more plays putting him much further ahead than he is now.  Starting to really agree with your last statement.  I said around the time of the trade that it probably made a lot more sense for him to land in Cleveland or Denver (SIP keeps mentioning Jacksonville, which probably would have been a good fit as well).  Of course, that opinion was not based on schematic fit, but rather a philosophical fit.  

I agree, AS was not a great fit, not just because of not being on a run first team, but not being a drop back passer.

6 hours ago, FS#21 said:

I know this is wishful thinking but I would give AD the week off vs. the Giants no matter what the outcome this weekend. We can beat them without him.

I don't know about that. We lost to a 1-5 Colts team (they have their only victory of the season) because AP was a non-factor. Without him, I'm not sure we can get into double digits.

Adrian Peterson teaches younger teammates optimism

You know the sports cliché: team signs Hall of Fame veteran brimming with confidence, who joins a locker room full of grizzled youngsters. Or is that backward?

The legend of Adrian Peterson continues to grow around Redskins Park, as he is now teaching his younger teammates about the power of positivity.

After Sunday's win, he called into Pro Football Talk and discussed how some Redskins have a goal of trying not to lose.

"They’ve got to stop," he said with a laugh. "I’m tired of hearing, 'We can't keep winning one and losing one.' I’m always thinking positive. This is a young team. They’re thinking about that. Lose that! Focus on this being the first division game and win it."

Keep in mind that Peterson nursed a debilitating shoulder injury and painful knee injury through a week of practice and had perhaps his best game of the season. Afterward, he needed the help of a team staffer to remove his jersey and shoulder pads. Then, he calls into a national media outlet and talks about looking forward optimistically.

"It hurt every time he carried the ball, it hurt every time he got hit," PFT host Mike Florio said. "There was an early play where he cut back and he hesitated because he said he knew it was going to hurt. And it did. After three of four carries, he just said, 'You know what? I don't care. I've got to play. It's going to hurt one way or the other.'

"He wants to prove to Washington that they picked the right guy."

Case closed. Adrian Peterson is the hero that D.C. deserves and needs right now.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/news/adrian-peterson-teaches-younger-teammates-optimism

7 hours ago, FS#21 said:

I know this is wishful thinking but I would give AD the week off vs. the Giants no matter what the outcome this weekend. We can beat them without him.

I wished I believed that, we seem to lose to them once a year no matter what their record is.  They were pitiful last season and they still crushed the Redskins in the last game.  Not saying they can't beat the Giants but its definitely not a slam dunk.

It's not surprising to hear AP being a little banged up, but he knows his body better than anyone of us including the doctors.

The guy is a rarity in the league. Hec, if he were playing in the 80's, he'd just slap some mud on that **** and get back out there.

For those who didn't know, back in the days of 'th' Hogs', even John Riggins was banged up a lot. There were times he spent days in traction at the hospital to help relieve pressure on his back, and once sunday came around he was in the backfield plowing through defensive lines, then after the game back to the hot tub, traction, 12-pak, ice bath, then back on the field, and he missed quite a few practices.

AP is in that type of mold. Good old fashioned grain-fed tough.

I really hope we can keep him around for another year as Guice comes in next season. Im super excited about Derrius but AP has been unbelievable. Not just with his production either. We've missed this kind of veteran leadership badly since 59 retired. Having Peterson to mentor Guice during effectively his rookie year would be invaluable for Guice's development and would allow Peterson to keep playing in a diminished role with limited carries so he's not getting battered every game. Carry 4 backs with CT and Bibbs and thats an unbelievable RB group with talent, depth, variety and leadership to carry into the season.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Once again, AP put the offense on his back today. He has to be the front runner for Comeback Player of the Year.

We could just call them the Washington Adrian Petersons. I'm only half kidding. Dude is literally our offense. Literally.

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was thinking today about how I wanted to get AP last season and folks were laughing me out of the threads for it, saying he was entirely washed up.

People think Doctson will amount to something here. People don’t know much. To a lessor degree, but similarly to AP...bring Dez here and he’s automatically our #1 and the difference will show.

Archived