Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

15 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Thanks for the tweet.

Sounds like the Redskins are having great practice sessions with the Jets.

Outside the fighting, of course. :)

Also glad to hear that Moses' injury scare yesterday was a false alarm, and that he was back out there today. :815:

28 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Thanks! That was interesting.

They are optimistic on Pryor .... I guess much like we were this time a year ago.

edit - Seems Josh, Chris and Ryan arent big fans of joint practices. They make a good point -- seems like a lot of time is wasted on "scuffles" and then trying to calm every down and then re-set things .. only to have another "moment" a few plays later. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/12/josh-norman-chris-thompson-criticize-joint-practic/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Thompson and Norman stopped short of saying joint practices are a waste of time. Both also mentioned that young players on both sides, in an effort to make the squads, were trying to add something “extra” when making tackles, in turn upsetting the veterans on the receiving end.

Thompson said he was “trying to maximize every single play” he got because he is still making his return from last year’s season-ending injury, so the distractions and lost time certainly added to his disappointment.

“We’re not able to be productive and get stuff done,” he said. “At one point I think it was every three plays there were guys, coaches trying to break up fights. That way we’re not getting each other better. We just out here to be out here.”

Thompson suggested the teams stay separated on their own fields if the fights continue.

Like Norman, Ryan Kerrigan lamented the loss of work when fights disrupt practice, because as a starter he feels he gets fewer reps in preseason games.

“Us veterans gotta do a good job of continuing to try to police that over there, and make sure we’re not the ones that are fighting,” Kerrigan said.

Three different local reporters, that I heard today from camp on ESPN Richmond, made references to Pryor being a Bon Secours Training Facility Legend, All Star. and a Hall-of-Famer, Maybe he'll fare better in NY, but Jets fans might want to temper expectations a little bit. We've seen the August highlight reel catches, and how that translated when the calendar flipped to September.

What struck me about the Jets fan dialogue was how bleak their prospects seem. It reminded me of ES in the Zorn era.

With the Skins putting together a better roster than in past years (and seemingly improving each year for several years) I feel like those days are behind us. When I read that Jets board it looks like a mix of doom and unrealistic hope.

Here on ES we have that, but it's cut with tempered optimism backed up with a fair amount of fact and a sprinkling of juju.

12 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I have no issue with the fights, and in fact, I like to see it.  You cheap shot our guy on our field... if we DIDN'T do anything, I'd consider us weak.  Trent is a leader on this team, he's respected, and this is why.  He'll go to war with an entire team to defend one of his brothers.  I don't want guys LOOKING for a fight, but if you're gonna bring one to our door, be ready to get a response.  

From what I gathered, we were actually getting the better of them in practice, and the last hit may have been out of frustration.  I saw various tweets stating we were beating them in individual match ups, and at one point Leonard Williams challenged Trent in one on ones, and Trent stood him up and handled him.  Craig Hoffman was on the Junkies this morning and he said the vets all said the worst part about the fight was that it interrupted a very strong practice on our side.  

My uncle went on the field to fight @ WVU when he was the OC at Cuse, the team rallied together and made a nice late comeback in that game, it can be galvanizing....even some wild coaches are not shy to join the fracas on occasion, evidently.

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@redskinss Our starting offensive line is no better than the one we've started with in years past.  The running backs we have available are no better than what we've had in years past. 

Why exactly should we believe that we are all the sudden going to have an effective running game?

I understand that it sucks to be let down and lack hope before even the 2nd preseason game is played.  But it's asking a lot to make people fool themselves into believing all is swell with the current group of guys who've proven they are unable to get it done in the past.  Sure, there's a chance we could see some improvement but it's very far from a given.

It may have been addressed, but Alex Smith is a far superior QB, he will help the running game immensely with pre-snap calls/audibles that take advantage of matchups in ways the Cousin couldnt. Kirk, imho, is a reactionary guy while Smith is someone who sees things in advance. I don’t think they are particularly close, but few agree with that.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It may have been addressed, but Alex Smith is a far superior QB, he will help the running game immensely with pre-snap calls/audibles that take advantage of matchups in ways the Cousin couldnt. Kirk, imho, is a reactionary guy while Smith is someone who sees things in advance. I don’t think they are particularly close, but few agree with that.

Oh, I didn’t know that.  Super Bowl here we come.

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ironically and fascinatingly, you are not going to make many friends here by complimenting the new QB or criticizing the old one. :runlukerun:

I'm just here to nominate volsmet for the Nobel prize. If he can talk Battered, of all people, off the ledge and get him to say this....

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oh, I didn’t know that.  Super Bowl here we come.

...volsmet might just be the best negotiator that ever lived.

Just yanking your chain, Battered. Yanking it like Alex Smith is going to be yanking the chains forward when we win our first playoff game since 2005. :headbang:

I can't help but wonder how the guice injury could potentially effect roster decisions.  For example, take a Danny Johnson vs Orlando scandrick roster decision. Some teams are in position to take a chance on a danny Johnson.  If you are in "must win now" mode, you probably go with scandrick.  Does guice's injury lead to more uncertainty about 2018, to the point where the key decision makers feel more pressure to have that "win now mode" type players on other units to compensate for the hit to our run game? 

We all know jay and Bruce's seat is at least a little warm.  A 4-12 season could get them both canned.  Whereas a week ago they may have felt comfortable with the direction of the team, and after a solid camp could feel comfortable taking d Johnson.  Does the guice injury and the resulting hit to our run game lead to some anxiety about how we fare in 2018, and lead them to take the guy who can contribute more today to help them get a better record now due to self interest and self preservation?  I have no reason to think jay is not a stand up guy, but everyone on the planet acts in what is best for them and their family.  Could the Redskins have been reluctant to take the saints offer of 2 firsts for the 13th pick this year for the same reason, because the ones calling the shots may have felt they didn't have time to wait another year to bear the fruit?  Impossible to know, i just hope the outcome is what is best for the team in the long run, even if 2018 is below expectations.

FWIW, i personally hope gruden would survive a 4-12 season, and I was only using Johnson vs scandrick to symbolize any roster battle that is future potential vs today's production type decision.  Also Everett vs blanding.  Bibbs vs a veteran rb who gets cut from another team, etc

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I can't help but wonder how the guice injury could potentially effect roster decisions.  For example, take a Danny Johnson vs Orlando scandrick roster decision.  If you are rebuilding, you are more inclined to take a chance on d Johnson.  If you are in win now mode, you probably go with scandrick.  

Losing Guice is unfortunate, but won't ultimately change the win now mentality of the upper brass, coaches, or players. Rebuild mode will not be on the table for at least two more years. 

5 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Losing Guice is unfortunate, but won't ultimately change the win now mentality of the upper brass, coaches, or players. Rebuild mode will not be on the table for at least two more years. 

Poor choice of words on my part.  I don't think the Redskins are rebuilding, I just used that as an example of how a rebuilding team and a team that is expected to compete for a title represent both ends of the spectrum, with the Redskins being somewhere in between them.  I'll edit the post.  

And I am still optimistic about 2018, this can be a playoff team, but I think it's fair to wonder if those calling the shots will bypass a raw high upside player due to their seat getting a little warmer after guice went down.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, JSSkinz said:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about Saturday's practice.

They said Payne was destroying everyone and on one play he jumped the snap, picked up the ball and then punted it 25 yards downfield and Bruce Allen caught it.

Bruce Allen's shining moment as a Redskins exec

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

FWIW, i personally hope gruden would survive a 4-12 season, and I was only using Johnson vs scandrick to symbolize any roster battle that is future potential vs today's production type decision.  Also Everett vs blanding.  Bibbs vs a veteran rb who gets cut from another team, etc

Even with being destroyed by injuries last year we were 7 and 9.

4 and 12 is not in the cards unless we lose everyone. I love the coaches and the team we are building, but another year not making the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7 should also put them on the hot seat.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

4 and 12 is not in the cards unless we lose everyone. I love the coaches and the team we are building, but another year not making the playoffs at 8-8 or 9-7 should also put them on the hot seat.

I disagree with you there.  If I had to guess, I think the skins go 7-9.  10-6 best case scenario and 4-12 worst case scenario.  Our schedule is brutal.  Afc south and nfc south are arguably two best divisions in football, and we were 1-5 in our division last year.  Also play the Packers.  While I don't think it is likely, 4-12 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Archived