Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Is Cam Simms so bad he can't get playing time over Inman? I know his run at a colt Brennan award was short-lived, but you cant teach size... sucks all his great catches were on a practice field or pre season game. 

Little Sims is a good slot guy... Terry needs help for the 2 role bad

AGG made a brief appearance... is he also that fsr behind Inman?

• Like 1

In hindsight getting rid of Adrian was even stupider than I thought. I assume Gibson is just going to be a straight up running back now. With so little depth and productivity from the receivers and tight ends, I’d rather have backs in there that can pass protect and use Gibson as a z receiver. Stephen Sims hasn’t shown he’s ready to take the next step and really there isn’t another receiver outside of terry that would make another nfl squad. Right now it’s all about Haskins development but just like last year you can’t evaluate squat with what he has to work with. Gibson will have plenty of time to learn the back position. Unless he’s absolutely clueless when it comes to route running then it makes no sense keeping him as an H-back getting 40-50 yards a game.

2 hours ago, RedskinsFanInSanAntonio said:

Look at all the 0-2 teams that would be willing to trade a receiver to the WFT.

Only one that makes sense is Ron’s former team and acquiring Curtis Samuel. Seems to not be part of the panthers offense so far in a new system.

I have seen enough from Inman.

Curtis Samuel was someone discussed much earlier in the offseason. That would be an excellent move.

• Like 2

I'd like to look into signing Corey Davis from Tennessee. Fourth overall pick in 2017, hasn't blown up but hasn't been a bust either. Titans declined his fifth-year option, so he's a free agent at the end of the year.

I may be biased as he went to my alma matter, but he has the size, hands and speed to be a perfect compliment to McLauren. Be a nice pickup potentially if they can get him signed to a good contract.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Can we please get a Presidential Pardon from Jason Wright, to set Cody Latimer free, to play ?

Is this our great hope? Cody Latimer? Oh what trying times...next thing we know passing roughians will be saying "ni" to old ladies.

I'd take a hard run at Juju Smith Schuster in FA. The Steelers have some cap issues, currently projected about $16m over the cap. Chris Godwin is also a FA, but TB has about $28m in space. And the Eagles (~64$m over) and Saints (a whopping $79m over) are wholly ****ed ...and the Eagles have Dallas Goeddert...which means Zach "What's His Ass" Ertz might be available...

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 3:46 AM, PartyPosse said:

In hindsight getting rid of Adrian was even stupider than I thought. I assume Gibson is just going to be a straight up running back now. With so little depth and productivity from the receivers and tight ends, I’d rather have backs in there that can pass protect and use Gibson as a z receiver. Stephen Sims hasn’t shown he’s ready to take the next step and really there isn’t another receiver outside of terry that would make another nfl squad. Right now it’s all about Haskins development but just like last year you can’t evaluate squat with what he has to work with. Gibson will have plenty of time to learn the back position. Unless he’s absolutely clueless when it comes to route running then it makes no sense keeping him as an H-back getting 40-50 yards a game.

Yeah, the Swiss army knife component of Gibson seems to be missing in the early going.  I imagine not trying to overburden the rookie, but his WR skills were supposed to be part of his selling point.  Frankly, I thought he was more receiver than RB coming out, just from the scouting reports.  Even though looking at him, I would never think he looked like a wideout. 

Just turning and handing it off wasnt what I was thinking would be the best use of his skills.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, the Swiss army knife component of Gibson seems to be missing in the early going.  I imagine not trying to overburden the rookie, but his WR skills were supposed to be part of his selling point.  Frankly, I thought he was more receiver than RB coming out, just from the scouting reports.  Even though looking at him, I would never think he looked like a wideout. 

Just turning and handing it off wasnt what I was thinking would be the best use of his skills.

I have found this very disappointing. I was hoping to see him used the way they used McCaferey with more short passes in space behind the LOS and further. He seems like the type of back that feeds of being in space yet they are using him in a traditional rb role. That's what Barber is for.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Basically the entire offseason added absolutely nothing to the offense. Gibson isn’t much right now, AGG isn’t doing anything, Charles is barely practicing, Logan Thomas can’t catch. Meanwhile Trent Williams and Jordan Reed are playing well and AD is still looking productive in Detroit. Our veteran wr pick ups, Latimer is a discount Plaxico Burress and Inman is a discount Latimer.

I like the potential of the team in the long run but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed in the progression of our offense. I wonder if Ron isn’t really interested in Dwayne as the QB but he doesn’t really wanna rock the boat. It seems like there’s almost too much of an emphasis to prop up the occasional thing that Haskins does well (yes, we get it. Dwayne gave a good halftime speech in the eagles game). It’s like they’re almost sacrificing this year of development from Dwayne and maybe even Dwayne himself to get everyone else up to game speed by easing them along slowly. I know it’s only 2 games but Dwayne is a sitting duck out there

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Basically the entire offseason added absolutely nothing to the offense. Gibson isn’t much right now, AGG isn’t doing anything, Charles is barely practicing, Logan Thomas can’t catch. Meanwhile Trent Williams and Jordan Reed are playing well and AD is still looking productive in Detroit. Our veteran wr pick ups, Latimer is a discount Plaxico Burress and Inman is a discount Latimer.

I like the potential of the team in the long run but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed in the progression of our offense. I wonder if Ron isn’t really interested in Dwayne as the QB but he doesn’t really wanna rock the boat. It seems like there’s almost too much of an emphasis to prop up the occasional thing that Haskins does well (yes, we get it. Dwayne gave a good halftime speech in the eagles game). It’s like they’re almost sacrificing this year of development from Dwayne and maybe even Dwayne himself to get everyone else up to game speed by easing them along slowly. I know it’s only 2 games but Dwayne is a sitting duck out there

Ron's approach to building the offensive roster feels like why people like to go with offensive minded head coaches.  

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Ron's approach to building the offensive roster feels like why people like to go with offensive minded head coaches.  

Actually one of the first things Ron did was offer Amari Cooper more money then Dallas, over 100 million.  He didn't get what he wanted and saved the money for future considerations and is allowing the young WR to step up.  Clearly they have plans and backup strategy.  Fans are just impatient.  They weren't planning to win this year...is that news to anyone?!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Actually one of the first things Ron did was offer Amari Cooper more money then Dallas, over 100 million.  He didn't get what he wanted and saved the money for future considerations and is allowing the young WR to step up.  Clearly they have plans and backup strategy.  Fans are just impatient.  They weren't planning to win this year...is that news to anyone?!

our offer to Cooper allegedly only contained ~20% in guaranteed money compared to the 60% in guaranteed money he got from Dallas, plus when factoring in tax our total contract offer would have netted Copper himself less cash. 

I think the notion we seriously chased Cooper is flawed if I’m being honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the notion we seriously chased Cooper is flawed if I’m being honest.

I think we made legitimate offers to both Hooper and Cooper, but smartly didn't go overboard. Dallas kind of painted themselves in a corner with that deal--given how much they gave Elliot too. They're not in terrible shape with the cap next year, right now--but they have to sign Prescott, and the franchise tag for QBs is $37.7m. They have about $25m last I checked, but it's really difficult to see Dak making less than that, so it'll be interesting.

• Like 1

Just saying, McLaurin is on pace for 1,400+ yards, and Sims is on pace for 800+.

That's fine.

What's not fine is that the RB's are non-existent in the passing game.  They're used in motion and other stuff, but all we seem to throw to them are wheel routes and those are well covered so far.  Where are the RB screens, the quick outs against a LB or dump offs after that side was cleared of defenders?

RB's get a sizeable chunk of passing yards from a team, but ours seem to get nothing.

• Like 1

The lack of the RBs in the passing game so far makes me wonder how much of our offensive struggles overall are on Turner. It's been two games, and there are many factors we don't see or information we aren't privy to make any kind of accurate assessment--but it's something to watch.

• Like 2

I'd like to see some screens to Gibson as well but maybe the coaches just don't trust the OL to execute?

I actually don't think Turner has been an issue. I haven't minded the playcalling all that much. We've gone spread, passed on 1st down, etc. We're just severely lacking talent at critical areas which is hampering us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd like to see some screens to Gibson as well but maybe the coaches just don't trust the OL to execute?

I actually don't think Turner has been an issue. I haven't minded the playcalling all that much. We've gone spread, passed on 1st down, etc. We're just severely lacking talent at critical areas which is hampering us.

I’m not down on Turner per say - especially considering the handicaps he’s working with - I just think he could do better in terms of play calling to his personnel.  

The idea that Arizona surprised us by playing man... it seems to me you should always have an audible ready for that type of situation, and motioning someone to check for man is a no-brainer.  

As I alluded to though - the qb struggling with accuracy is rough going for an OC.  

• Like 2

We have an offense full of first and second year players and coaches, I can't believe they haven't lit the world on fire yet, in a year the HC has said that they won't set the world on fire. We should definitely panic and lose faith in the building process.

Cam will start getting some PT which is good. He couldn't run an accurate go route across a bridge, but he's very good at getting open when the **** hits the fan. And it does early and often.

I'd like to see Wright returning kicks and getting some PT.

• Like 3