Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

20 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Badet doesn't seem to be much. His "highlight" reel shows him to catch mostly with his hands and no explosive plays whatsoever. Plus, one of his highlights is him getting injured.

It's a poor highlight reel but that's the XFL - all of the WRs ran their routes, turned around and waited for the ball to be thrown to them - - the QB never attempted any passes to hit WRs in stride.  Badet has speed and is the size of DeShaun Jackson.  If he can be coached up to take the top off of the defense then it will be a good pickup.  Risk is zero and he should be able to play special teams as a punt returner.  If he turns out to be an upgrade over the current #4-#5 WR then it's a win.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let's say it's Week 7.  We're 3-3.  Bears are 1-5 or 2-4 and decide to trade Allen Robinson.  He wants 18-19 million a year after the trade.  How much are you willing to give up?

At 3-3 we would be, at worst, 2 games out of first place in the division. So yeah, I go for it as he would instantly transform our passing game and free Terry from being constantly double teamed.

I'd offer a third and if necessary consider a second round pick straight up.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It’s so disingenuous that people keep popping in here and posting the same tripe about “win one game and people think a vet WR puts us over the top” when that isn’t what’s happening at all, and that’s been explained many times.

People want to help Haskins develop and see what he’s got, and OL don’t seem to be on the block. Feel free to disagree with the idea but at least appropriately represent the argument you’re trying to refute, no one thinks an OBJ or Robinson type puts us in the playoffs.

I think it's more about not wanting Haskins to die back there, the same way Bengals are complaining about Burrow getting killed back there. I assume you were replyng to my comment about Dez above yours, and if not then i'm sorry, but it's worthwhile to see what he has in the tank as a reliable pass catcher to assist in Haskins development. Nobody is saying, at least I'm not, that Dez, or any vet wideout, puts us over the top. But at least with Dez, you're not paying a steep price or pick to get him like you would with OBJ or Robinson.

Far too often young QB's are ruined or permanently scared in the pocket due to poor Oline play and fearing for their life. I believe this was true with Ramsey and others.

and I do agree with your point that it's more wise to then build the oline as opposed to a vet WR.....

something else I'd mention is either bringing back Penn or another name is Jared Veldheer. I hear he is trying to make a comeback after retiring last year. Cowboys tried him out a few days ago but nothing signed yet. Hoping Charles works out but i'm not counting on him, a rookie with no camp, to immediately be Trent Williams.

Veldheer is immediately the 2nd best player on the line not named Scherff

Edited by SemperFi Skins

54 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Jared Veldheer. I hear he is trying to make a comeback after retiring last year. Cowboys tried him out a few days ago but nothing signed yet. Hoping Charles works out but i'm not counting on him, a rookie with no camp, to immediately be Trent Williams.

Veldheer is immediately the 2nd best player on the line not named Scherff

He played Right Tackle.  Where would you fit him in?  Considering his age and history are you thinking a one-year deal while the existing young OL get more development time?  

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

At 3-3 we would be, at worst, 2 games out of first place in the division. So yeah, I go for it as he would instantly transform our passing game and free Terry from being constantly double teamed.

I'd offer a third and if necessary consider a second round pick straight up.

You are high as a kite if you'd would ever considering giving Allen Robinson that kind of money. On top of trading that away to get him. That's what we're going to be paying McLaurin in a couple years and you want to have two ~$20M receivers? Nope, grow from within and there will be FA's next year and we'll pay Terry when it's time. 

• Like 1

I’d save the draft picks and look to rebuild the OL in the draft because if you believe in Haskins that he can become a very good QB then we all know the upper echelon QB’s always make their receivers look better than advertised.  I’m not saying don’t upgrade the WR position I’m saying don’t throw away draft picks for an older veteran WR who’s going to cost big time $.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Hope AGG gets it in gear. All hands on deck for such a weak position Group. Hope he gets on the field soon. 

It's going to take him some time.  When we picked him, he was one of the draft picks I thought would take longest to develop.  He's got talent, but he has a long way to go.

I look at this position group as just "skill position players" instead of WRs.  I was somewhat surprised there weren't more passes in the flat, or short, to RBs last week.  I would imagine you'll see more of it as the season goes along.  I think Scott Turner was trying to really trick the Eagles with some RPO stuff, some other reads, etc, and I think he's going to settle down and going to the quick game, and going with tempo.  Those things worked well last week.  When things work well, you tend to see more of them from competent coaches.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

He played Right Tackle.  Where would you fit him in?  Considering his age and history are you thinking a one-year deal while the existing young OL get more development time?  

My try him at LT. Yes, one year deal. He posted on twitter he's ready. If anything, swing tackle. I trust the coaches to put him to use. He may be too big for a Guard role.

2 hours ago, moondog said:

You are high as a kite if you'd would ever considering giving Allen Robinson that kind of money. On top of trading that away to get him. That's what we're going to be paying McLaurin in a couple years and you want to have two ~$20M receivers? Nope, grow from within and there will be FA's next year and we'll pay Terry when it's time. 

I am usually high as a kite anyway. 😄

Be that as it may this is a passing league. One receiver can be stopped-- see last week's game film and the all over the field tight coverage by Slay on Scary Terry with a safety often sliding to protect against a deep throw.

If by week 7 we have a chance to win the division-- the future becomes NOW. To hell with next year. Nothing is promised by being patient when you pass on an opportunity for greatness  that's staring you in the face.

Why play it safe? He who dares either wins or loses valiantly.

The timid can stay safe at home by the fire sipping warm rum and telling "what if" tales about how they almost had it all.

As for the money. Pay him his market value-- whatever that is.

We made a similar so called break the bank move for Amari Cooper and failed to get him. We would be more dangerous today as an offense had we acquired him. 

A tandem of McLaurin and Robinson will inject fear into defensive coaches and players alike. 

"Fear is the mind killer."

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

19 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Voice_of_Reason for sure. Find what he can do and let’s see it. Even if he’s out there to block or use his body to make easy short throws, something. He can’t be that worse that Inman, who seems like a JAG. Excited about what he can bring to the table. I’m sure they are on it. Hoping the kid can contribute soon. 

I think they like Inman because he at least runs ok routes and knows where he’s supposed to be.  

AGG played at Liberty. The jump from that to NFL is colossal. 

I think they’ll get him

a few reps here and there but it’s going to be a project.  

Lack of off season probably really effected the development of both him and Gibson, who both could be contributors, as much as anybody.