Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

People don't seem to understand that we don't need any new receivers, at least none that will probably make this roster and make an impact,

#1 Doctson

#2 Richardson 

#3 Crowder

The FO has already stated their love for Robert Davis (consider him the new Ryan Grant), Harris will vie for snaps, and you have your veteran in Quick. Could they draft one later? Why not. But that players impact is irrelevant unless you assume someone is getting injured.

If you are sitting here claiming you want to spend cap on more at this position; do you understand how Alex Smith works? He targets RB's more than his receivers. KC's backup TE had a comparable amount of catches than most the receivers on that roster. If you're looking for a new "receiver" for our offense, it'll need to come in the form of a half-back splitting time with Thompson out of that role.

Consider this; the offense is going to need to change to fit Smith, or Smith is going to need to change to fit the offense you think they should run. One of those situations tends to not pan out for teams. They're going to play to his strengths, meaning receivers #4 and beyond will be lucky to see 12 catches in the season. But even then his biggest targets in the passing game are already set in stone;

#1 Reed

#2 Crowder / Richardson

#3 Thompson / Draft pick / Marshall mold

#4 Doctson 

#5 Vernon Davis

There you have it. Smith's quick release and underneath throwing patterns suggest the plays will be drawn up to hit 1 or 2 of those targets as early as possible. There isn't a need for another receiver on any level equal to their needs on defense or the offensive line.

• Like 4

As our receiving core is, I think we know what to expect from just about everyone but Doctson.  He will probably be the key this season.  In reality, he will probably be option #3 or 4 most of the time with Reed, Thompson, and Crowder/Richardson, but if he plays like a #1 this season the passing offense will be really good. It will be interesting to watch, because Richardson was who we needed last year, a fast guy to keep the safetys deep, so the young receiver in Doctson could find more space underneath.  Because of this he will get more 1 v 1s both underneath and deep than he did last season, so then it will be up to him to improve on last year.  We've seen what he can do at his best, now we need him to come down with more of the 50/50 balls and tough, but not too tough catches.

• Like 3

If anyone think this receiving core is solid, then you are kidding yourself. I definitely can see Washington drafting Ridley at 13 if he is there. Richardson is a speedster that had a break out year to some in 2016 but either was hurt or just missing in games in 2017. Doctson will not take a game over neither will Crowder as did a Tyreek Hill has done in KC in his first two seasons. The Skins needs a superior force on offense that demands attention at all times. Draft a playmaker for once, please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skins3000 said:

If anyone think this receiving core is solid, then you are kidding yourself. I definitely can see Washington drafting Ridley at 13 if he is there. Richardson is a speedster that had a break out year to some in 2016 but either was hurt or just missing in games in 2017. Doctson will not take a game over neither will Crowder as did a Tyreek Hill has done in KC in his first two seasons. The Skins needs a superior force on offense that demands attention at all times. Draft a playmaker for once, please.

We won in Seattle last year because of doctson..and Kirk's toughness...hide n watch..Smith will make doctson have a huge season...but if veta veya or the defender from Georgia is there ya gotta go with one of them ..

• Like 1

Alex does seem to use his RBs a lot in the passing game. It kinda makes sense, since most times there's a mismatch with a LB in man/man. I'm wondering what Keith Marshall's status is. Gruden spoke highly of him before Marshall's injury last year. If that's a bust, I would still like to see (the team's name sake) James Washington picked up in the draft to help this receiving corp - but at the RB position. This is a WR at 6'0, weighing 205 pounds. Washington has outstanding ball skills (Biletnikoff winner) and is projected to go in the second round. Please pick this guy up. Can you imagine a LB matched up with this guy? Defenses will have to adjust. The more adjustments, the more holes, the more scores. 

• Like 1

Our WR corpse is shaping up into being mediocre, at best.  I am not impressed.  Hopefully Quick or Harris take major strides and can dominate press DBs physically and take the next step.  I see those 2 adding more to their game, than the others. Crowder and PRich are cooked. Doctson despite this being last year being rookie season blah blah is no spring chicken. Our best hope may be a bulked Doctson. By committee by ****ty. I want some go to guy to force the defense and so Jay can design plays off of that.

It's high time we stop considering TEs specifically Reed as a WR. Drafting a WR expected to contribute in year 1 is a pipe dream.  We seem close to set. 

The best thing to happen to our WRs may be an all down back drafted and take the heat off the wideouts. 

• Haha 2

On 4/9/2018 at 8:36 PM, bakedtater1 said:

We won in Seattle last year because of doctson..and Kirk's toughness...hide n watch..Smith will make doctson have a huge season...but if veta veya or the defender from Georgia is there ya gotta go with one of them ..

Come on man, Doctson made a play not many plays. I am not saying Doctson cannot become a good receiver but stop thinking just because they are a Redskin they are great players. Skins brought in Scandrick to be on the opposite side of Norman, the defense had many injuries last year but if the unit stays healthy that unit will be fine. Offensively it is about scoring points and when your best receiver is a running back that is not going to win games. There is not one skill player on offense that will make the pro bowl if the skill players remain the same. Reed could but we all know a broke nail here and someone thumps his head Reed is going to miss multiple games. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

At first I was like no way step off

Then I read that he is a red zone threat (sound like a need?) 

So despite putrid statistics in 2017 I would be open to a one year deal to prove himself. Having him aboard would not be the end of the world. I've been conditioned to hate Dez Bryant since he was drafted by Cowboys so I guess a little bit of my reluctance having him here is because of that. I just don't see how he makes this team better when we have so many other needs. People acting like he will come here and magically make this team into a SB contender. Please. Get a grip. 

Just now, ixcuincle said:

At first I was like no way step off

Then I read that he is a red zone threat (sound like a need?) 

So despite putrid statistics in 2017 I would be open to a one year deal to prove himself. Having him aboard would not be the end of the world. I've been conditioned to hate Dez Bryant since he was drafted by Cowboys so I guess a little bit of my reluctance having him here is because of that. I just don't see how he makes this team better when we have so many other needs. People acting like he will come here and magically make this team into a SB contender. Please. Get a grip. 

I don't think anyone is saying signing Dez makes us SB contenders.  Signing him should solidify our receiving corps though and give Smith another weapon and red zone target/threat.  I don't think signing him will hurt the team either, especially if we can manage to stay healthy and land solid picks rounds 1 and 2 that can contribute immediately.

Mike Jones of USA Today reports that Bryant is not on the radar in Washington right now. The phrasing leaves room for that to change, although the Redskins may not think there’s room for him in a receiving group that’s currently fronted by Jamison Crowder, Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson.

Report: Dez Bryant not on radar in Washington right now

:rofl89:If true, this front office is more delusional than I could've imagined.  "Not in our plans", or "not interested"...I'd be fine with.  "No room"?!  Lol.

45 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

So despite putrid statistics in 2017...

His stats were better than all of our WRs last year, unfortunately lol...

2 minutes ago, megared said:

Report: Dez Bryant not on radar in Washington right now

:rofl89:If true, this front office is more delusional than I could've imagined.  "Not in our plans", or "not interested"...I'd be fine with.  "No room"?!  Lol.

Those are Jones' words, not the Skins'...and it was just him guessing.

Edited by Califan007

The only way I would want Dez if he signed a revenge, "F U Cowboys" kind of contract. Signed on the absolute cheap to stick to the Cowboys.

I do think he's declining.

He's never been a good team mate.

He's not a mentor kind of player... except perhaps by observing his training habits.

He is more of a known quantity and much more of a finished product than either Doctson or Richardson, but I want those guys to become finished products. If Dez signs the kind of contract that allows the best player to play and doesn't guarantee he's the stater... Then I'd be friendlier to the idea of bringing him in. If Dez wanted to have a Vernon Davis type role, he might actually excel at that and really be valuable. I don't want him as a stop gap, expensive starter.

• Like 1

As mentioned in previous posts, Smith favours the short passing game and utilising his RB's. If Reed can stay healthy (highly unlikely) then there's just not enough targets to go round. Dez would eat into all of the WR targets. That would harm both the development and confidence of the younger guys.

Regarding Dez - the more motivated he is (vs the NFC East, and Dallas in particular, obviously), the more likely he demands the ball, the more likely he gets frustrated and causes issues.  

So for me, it’s a no.  

He can still play though and would be an upgrade for us.  Just don’t think the net results are worth it.  

Depending on the cost and length on contract, I could go for this.  He turns 30 in November.

We have $17M in cap space, so either we spend it on Dez or we keep rolling it over into next year.

I wonder if Snyder is having cash flow problems?

• Like 1

If he wants revenge on Dallas and will sign here within reason, sign him. Can you imagine Bryant and Reed with Doctson, Richardson and Crowder in a 4 wide set with CT in the backfield? Throw in Guice or Michel in the 2nd round and Alex Smith will be the happiest QB in the league. Gruden would be in heaven. I hate Dez Bryant but as a Skin I love him....pro sports suck.

• Like 1

He doesn't seem the head case he once was. 

maxresdefault.jpg

It's like that non TD seemed to change him. Or maybe age/injuries are slowly taking their toll.

That Dallas playbook should be worth something though.

Edited by RandyHolt

I like our receiving corps as is, and Smith will hopefully see and target Doctson a lot more than was the case last year with a cautious approach by the QB. Barring injury, this group could be quite special, particularly when you throw Reed in the mix (any updates on his rehab?), and Thompson out of the backfield. A real running game would be killer for that play-action scheme, and would make all of those guys even more dangerous.

As far as Bryant goes, no thank you. I don't want any former Cowboys on this squad, moving forward. Not coaches. Not players. Not trainers. You can send the cheerleaders to me, but not to FedEx. If that dude ends up in SF, you can best believe that Kyle will find a way to use him and make him a very dangerous weapon again. Prescott is simply not the kind of QB you want to pair with a wideout like Bryant, so that wasn't going to work out anyway. I hope the guy can rebound and make something happen with another team. Even at 29, a fresh start can bode well for a longer career. Hell, Alex Smith is 33 and we signed him. A lot of teams will be lining up for Bryant. Good luck to the kid.

• Like 1

The receivers are terrible. 

On 4/13/2018 at 8:40 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Just saw that we spend the least amount on the WR position in the league: https://overthecap.com/positional-spending

Though we spend the 2nd most on the TE position, so I guess it balances out. 

We don't get great production from our TE's either. 

Edited by Cliffmark1