Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

Richardson and Crowder were solid yesterday. Doc didn't do much, but again he's going up against the best CB in the league, Peterson can make All Pros look invisible.

I think we'll be fine at WR. The Cards secondary is damn good and took away the deep stuff.

With that said, I don't think Doc will ever be that star stud WR. I do think he can be a solid #1 WR who gets you ~900-1000 yards but I don't think he'll ever be on that Brown/OBJ/Jones level. But in this offense, that should be fine.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Richardson and Crowder were solid yesterday. Doc didn't do much, but again he's going up against the best CB in the league, Peterson can make All Pros look invisible.

I think we'll be fine at WR. The Cards secondary is damn good and took away the deep stuff.

With that said, I don't think Doc will ever be that star stud WR. I do think he can be a solid #1 WR who gets you ~900-1000 yards but I don't think he'll ever be on that Brown/OBJ/Jones level. But in this offense, that should be fine.

I would agree. I think the best case is if Doc can get to the Michael Thomas, Kennan Allen..tier. The issue is those guys beat you with great routes and solid hands and Doc hasent shown that ability as of yet. I do believe better days are ahead and with good weather we could see improvement this week.

4 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I would agree. I think the best case is if Doc can get to the Michael Thomas, Kennan Allen..tier. The issue is those guys beat you with great routes and solid hands and Doc hasent shown that ability as of yet. I do believe better days are ahead and with good weather we could see improvement this week.

I'm not even sure he'll be that good(and Thomas is a stone cold stud). Best case might be someone like Michael Crabtree, or Pierre Garcon but with more size/athleticism.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not even sure he'll be that good(and Thomas is a stone cold stud). Best case might be someone like Michael Crabtree, or Pierre Garcon but with more size/athleticism.

You're right, in Jays offense, he doesn't need to be.  I'll add we are getting away with not getting chunks of yards from our WR's because we are getting it from Reed and CT, but as I've mentioned before, I'm trying nit to think about what happened with them last season.  This issue will vault to the top if something happens to either of them

As was said by others and myself a month or more ago, if the run game exists, there just won't be any one target getting that much love. The ball is going to get spread around depending on coverage. Lots of mouths to feed, and only so many attempts to go around. The goal is winning. Fantasy Football production for individuals is not on the list of Jay's priorities. 

30 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not untrue, but I would buy the PP defense more if we didn't see a disappearing act in most other games from Doc.  Next week, the Colts have probably the worst corners in the league, let's see what he does then.  Buf then, it might be bad weather so he'll have a baked-in excuse.

I'm highly skeptical of his upside potential.  I mentioned it somewhere earlier that he's more Torrey Smith, than #1 WR.  And even he was better than Doc has been.  He's a compliment, at best.  Cant be anything more than that catching under 50% of the balls thrown your way.  Somebody else will always have to do the heavy lifting.  Year 3 is put up or shut up time.  

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not sure he'll be that good either.

Me either, he's not consistent enough.  I dont think you're ever gonna look for Doctson on 3rd and 6 when you have to have it. 

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're right, in Jays offense, he doesn't need to be.  I'll add we are getting away with not getting chunks of yards from our WR's because we are getting it from Reed and CT, but as I've mentioned before, I'm trying nit to think about what happened with them last season.  This issue will vault to the top if something happens to either of them

The thing is, you have to think about that, because that happens every year.  The next season you can count on both Reed and CT for 16 weeks will be the first one. I fully expect one (or both) of them to come up lame for several weeks at a time this year.  

People keep talking about "Jay's offense" like we didnt have DJax, Garcon, and Crowder getting tons of looks.  The WRs have been a big part of the offense up until we stopped having ones we could rely on.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ouch.

Doctson to me is kinda a one trick pony. He's a 50/50 ball guy and that is really about it. He's not going to going across the middle and get you 1st downs. He's not a vertical threat. And her certainly can't take a game over. Doctson is just a guy that can get you some TD's on fades and jump balls. I really wish he was a more complete WR, but right now, he lacks in more areas than not.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dez isn't washed up.  69 catches for 838 yards and 6 touchdowns last year.  I'd definitely take that production this year.  

He's certainly not the gamebreaker that he used to be but if he can move the chains and be better at blocking than Doctson.  I could be better at blocking than Doctson, so could you.   I'm sure Dez would be fine.

He can turn down offers if he wants, free agents turn down offers all the time.  

Well, i tend to go by the notion that says talented veterans aren't sitting down in early September if they have anything left in the tank.

Especially when the two offers he turned down... are the only two offers he got.

I feel pretty confident about this team, barring injuries. I'm ready to go with our guys.

~Bang 

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Well, i tend to go by the notion that says talented veterans aren't sitting down in early September if they have anything left in the tank.

Especially when the two offers he turned down... are the only two offers he got.

I feel pretty confident about this team, barring injuries. I'm ready to go with our guys.

~Bang 

Now that the season has started and contracts aren't guaranteed. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in for a workout with Alex. Especially if your 4-5 WRs are going to miss more than a little time. 

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The thing is, you have to think about that, because that happens every year.  The next season you can count on both Reed and CT for 16 weeks will be the first one. I fully expect one (or both) of them to come up lame for several weeks at a time this year.  

People keep talking about "Jay's offense" like we didnt have DJax, Garcon, and Crowder getting tons of looks.  The WRs have been a big part of the offense up until we stopped having ones we could rely on.

Exactly, at least Jay is smart enough to recognize his best skill position players aren't his WRs.  Having two 1000 yard receivers in one season wasn't an accident, its what he had and what he did with it.

7 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Doctson to me is kinda a one trick pony. He's a 50/50 ball guy and that is really about it. He's not going to going across the middle and get you 1st downs. He's not a vertical threat. And her certainly can't take a game over. Doctson is just a guy that can get you some TD's on fades and jump balls. I really wish he was a more complete WR, but right now, he lacks in more areas than not.

I agree, jus not ready to call that his ceiling yet.  He needs more weight, he's not built to be that big target going over the middle and that's what we need. His leaping ability is othwr worldly though, like go go gadget springs in his feet

Edited by Renegade7

Unless there are a bunch more injuries, there's no way that Dez will get an offer to come here. 

Mo Harris should be back soon, and if they IR a WR and need a fill-in, that guy will be Brian Quick.

The next WR they sign needs to be able to play specials, not play offense.  That's not Dez. 

They also have 3 WRs on the practice squad.

In order for Dez to be an option, probably two of Dockston/Richardson/Crowder  has to go down and Harris/Quick have to not be available.  Then they might look at Dez...

It's not going to happen.  At least not for a while. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Now that the season has started and contracts aren't guaranteed. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in for a workout with Alex. Especially if your 4-5 WRs are going to miss more than a little time. 

Harris is the 4, when he's healthy, which I think should be soon?  Sims and Quinn are 5-6. But he's not a 5-6 receiver because he doesn't play (or at least hasn't in a long time, and probably wouldn't want to) special teams.  That's what you need out of the 5-6 guys right now.  Because the starters are healthy. 

If the starters start dropping like flies, then I can see the need.

Now, do I care if they bring him in for a workout?  No, that's fine.  But there's no way they sign him to play special teams or be inactive on gameday.  I doubt he would unseat Mo Harris as the 4 when he's healthy. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Harris is the 4, when he's healthy, which I think should be soon?  Sims and Quinn are 5-6. But he's not a 5-6 receiver because he doesn't play (or at least hasn't in a long time, and probably wouldn't want to) special teams.  That's what you need out of the 5-6 guys right now.  Because the starters are healthy. 

If the starters start dropping like flies, then I can see the need.

Now, do I care if they bring him in for a workout?  No, that's fine.  But there's no way they sign him to play special teams or be inactive on gameday.  I doubt he would unseat Mo Harris as the 4 when he's healthy. 

"When he's healthy". I get nervous about guys who have a concussion before the season even starts. 

I agree Special Teams is important. Glad to see Rob getting down there on coverage yesterday. That's big for him.

If he comes in and looks in shape and healthy and would sign for the low end. I'm open to that idea even if he doesn't play teams. I'd like another big body out there for the quick short passes where whoever catches the ball can push his way forward a little. Also don't mind a guy with a chip on his shoulder. If he produces, you got a 1 year bargain. If he doesn't, you can drop him on the spot.

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless there are a bunch more injuries, there's no way that Dez will get an offer to come here. 

Mo Harris should be back soon, and if they IR a WR and need a fill-in, that guy will be Brian Quick.

The next WR they sign needs to be able to play specials, not play offense.  That's not Dez. 

They also have 3 WRs on the practice squad.

In order for Dez to be an option, probably two of Dockston/Richardson/Crowder  has to go down and Harris/Quick have to not be available.  Then they might look at Dez...

It's not going to happen.  At least not for a while. 

Well said....the special teams point especially. 

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

"When he's healthy". I get nervous about guys who have a concussion before the season even starts. 

I agree Special Teams is important. Glad to see Rob getting down there on coverage yesterday. That's big for him.

If he comes in and looks in shape and healthy and would sign for the low end. I'm open to that idea even if he doesn't play teams. I'd like another big body out there for the quick short passes where whoever catches the ball can push his way forward a little. Also don't mind a guy with a chip on his shoulder. If he produces, you got a 1 year bargain. If he doesn't, you can drop him on the spot. 

However in that case, he's probably inactive.  Now, IF Harris, Quinn and Sims are ALL out, then yeah, you have a spot for a non-ST guy.  But if Harris is up, you don't, and Dez would be inactive.

I haven't heard about Harris' health recently.  I think it really all revolves around that.  Quinn/Sims replacements have to play ST.  Harris replacement could be a non-ST contributor. 

EDIT: I should also say that I'm not looking at this emotionally as "Dez is a dirty cowboy, never sign him."  I honesty don't care about that at all.  I'm just looking practically at what it would take to sign Dez and have him contribute.  I don't think it would be worth signing him if he was just going to be inactive...

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

51 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang 

Peterson could be sitting in early September if Guice didn't get hurt, he's still got something left in the tank for sure.  I think there are guys out there that aren't playing that do have something left in the tank.  Dallas has a terrible receiving corps, I am sure Dez would be ok for them.  

Yesterday was nice but I am not feeling super confident just yet.

• Like 2

Was really excited about what we saw from Richardson, and Crowder. Hopefully if Sims and Quinn are injured for a week Doc can relax and have a better showing next week.

If Sims or Quinn are able to play next week they should get as many targets as Doc IMHO. Hopefully between Harris, Sims and Quinn someone can play.

If not "Welcome to the NFL Simmie Cobb".....

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I’m not going to disagree with you here, but I will say that I watched about 4 available games of all his (googled Doctson targets 2017) and I was surprised to see how many different ways he was used.