Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Dan Snyder: We do not like being fans anymore; we tolerate it

MassSkinsFan

27 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Funny that you mention it, I was going to ping him, and he does write fantasy which is right up my alley.

Honestly I think this could be a simple thread (maybe in tailgate) that could just take off on its own. Its so difficult to get through these depressing times like right after the Smith trade. I could write a fantasy novel on my Madden franchises that have come about since then. (Johnathan Allen set the sack record).

This actually reminded me of a thread I started back in December that addresses this very topic. I had some other "alternative history" threads last year, too - most of them during the off-season. I love alternative histories and it's a genre I've been looking to read up on. 

3 hours ago, Dan73 said:

You see this mods I am now Snyder yesterday I was Allen. So anymore guff from you guys and I will trade you to the Dallas Cowboys website for Ham samwhich gifs.

Mods, don't ban this guy.  He has a good sense of humor.

Plus, he might really be Snyder, and if you ban him he might shut down the site.

Spot on dude. 

This org is embarrassing... the whole KC situation is unforgivable. I love the team and hate the front office. 

I love the skins and never thought I would say this, other than if they changed the name, but likely I will have to walk away for at least a time... I would never support another team but I love NFL and I guess I would be a red zone guy only. 

The eagles win, in the coaches 2nd year with a backup qb...KC is leaving, our new QB is 34.. so many shots to the gut.

THe main thing is is that I don’t trust these jackasses to build a lego building let alone a contender. 

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I've been seeing the contrast between the 'Skins and the Eagles - especially with leadership. I don't know if the Birds are going to build a dynasty or even if they're going to dominant the NFC east for the time being but can you imagine if we had a guy like Lurie running this team? 

Maybe it's because I live in Pennsylvania now and I'm surrounded by Eagles fans but I've never noticed how rock solid the Eagles are as an organization until now. 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, thebluefood said:

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I've been seeing the contrast between the 'Skins and the Eagles - especially with leadership. I don't know if the Birds are going to build a dynasty or even if they're going to dominant the NFC east for the time being but can you imagine if we had a guy like Lurie running this team? 

Maybe it's because I live in Pennsylvania now and I'm surrounded by Eagles fans but I've never noticed how rock solid the Eagles are as an organization until now. 

The Eagles have been solid for a long time.  They made a couple of critical mistakes that had me excited, with the Chip Kelly fiasco (don't let the recent success cloud your memory of that!), but they righted the ship.  As a fan of a rival team, the best part of the Chip Kelly era was getting rid of Howie Roseman.

It was the same with Marty, for us - only, in reverse.  The bets part of being a fan of the team, was getting rid of Vinny at that time.  The following year, Snyder cans Marty and brings back Vinny.  In the Eagles case, they eventually get over the Chip Kelly phase, and ... drat it all... bring back Howie.  Snyder would have been wise to bring in Roseman during that phase, wine and dine him, try to convince him that he was treated poorly, whatever it took.  Howie wasn't some unheralded, unfound person.  He was well known, and successful at what he was doing.  You look at the success the Eagles had in the 2000s, Howie is a big part of that.  Meanwhile, you look at our failures in the 2000s, I feel Vinny is a big part of that.  Now, you have the opportunity to at least try to get someone of that high caliber... and of course... we ignore it.

That's just the way it goes here.  It is incredibly frustrating.  We let our flotsam go (or at least, Marty did) and probably Snyder was shocked no one grabbed him.  The Eagles let a talented individual go... I'm shocked no one managed to find a place for him.

The Chip Kelly fiasco is what really stands out to me. After making a decision that just completely blew up in their faces, you'd expect a team to seize up or panic. They bet a lot on Kelly and they came up snake eyes - that kind of thing could cripple a franchise for years. Yet, it seems as if Lurie and his staff managed to act swiftly to minimize the damage while also playing it cool instead of freaking out and over-correcting.

As I've said elsewhere: it's one thing to inherit a mess, which he did in 1994, and build a winner. You can separate yourself from it emotionally. You can shift some of the failure's responsibility on "the last guy."

It's another when it's your mess. That elicits a completely different response and you learn a lot about people - especially people in authority - when that happens. Lurie took responsibility for his actions and then went back to work to make sure it doesn't happen again. As someone who has made a lot (and I mean a lot) of mistakes in a professional capacity, I can't say I've done the same every time. 

28 minutes ago, Killer Rob said:

what was the bigger hiring blunder?

eagles signing kelly or us giving this guy the keys to the car:

zorn_shivering.gif.c0e405bd1776e50e896d14cb227b18d6.gif

The Kelly hire was a reasonable move that had a good chance of paying off big time, but ultimately did not.  Kelly was tearing it up in college, had coaches like Belichick praising him and looking to him for advice, was a trend-setter on the cutting edge of innovation, etc.  Zorn was basically a nobody.

1 hour ago, ncr2h said:

The Kelly hire was a reasonable move that had a good chance of paying off big time, but ultimately did not.  Kelly was tearing it up in college, had coaches like Belichick praising him and looking to him for advice, was a trend-setter on the cutting edge of innovation, etc.  Zorn was basically a nobody.

And strictly from a W-L standpoint, it's not like Kelly had a terrible tenure in Philadelphia. Eagles won a division championship in 2013 after going 4-12 the year before. He had a record over .500 before he was fired - back to back 10-win seasons. The 'Skins haven't had consecutive 10+ win season since - well, you all know. 

If the Redskins ever win a SB with Dan as owner, will the dialogue change?

I'm just thinking of the Egles (yes I misspelled their ****ing name!!). Up until this year, they haven't won ****!! Jeffrey Lurie has owned them for 21 years. As a matter of fact, there are 13 other team owners that have never won the SB. They've all made mistakes. Now that's not to say they are not getting heat rounds from their fan base (Mike Brown probably has protection in Cincinnati). All I'm saying is this.....the dialogue always changes when you win. 

To me, trying to maneuver what's true and what's bull****s as it relates to a office I've never stepped foot in is beyond futile. All this bull**** takes away from the "sport" or the fun of football. As much bull**** as we all have to put up with on a day to day basis (commute, work, dumb ass people, etc.), its great to just sit down with a cold one and watch a little bit of Redskins football without getting into the "politics". At my age, I'm not delusional enough to think I can run a professional sport franchise. I really think this is about the only place that gets that far in the weeds with this ****. Oh yea, there is that Dallas owner that's talked about nationally. But that's more about the owner's dumb ass statements than the way the team is run (**** 'em anyway).

I'll say this...Snyder purchased the team as a fan. He's still a fan. That's a good thing!!

As a business owner myself, I also know this to be true..... Snyder will make business mistakes for the rest of his life......and you will too if you're into making things happen! 

But the bottom line to me is this: The team will be better when they get more play-makers, some "dogs", and a lot of smart players. That's it!!! Players win ****ing football games!!! Players win SB.

If Jeffrey can win, so can Dan.

49 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

This is not the comparison I would be using if I was trying to defend Dan Snyder.

Lurie has been over .500 67% of the time he’s owned the team (24 seasons).  44 more wins than losses.   His teams have played in 26 playoff games, 6 conference championships, 2 Super Bowls, winning one.

Dan Snyder’s teams have been over .500 a little over 25% of the time (19 seasons).  39 more losses than wins.  His teams have played in 7 total playoff games and 0 conference championships.

7 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I'll say this...Snyder purchased the team as a fan. He's still a fan. That's a good thing!!

Oh my achin' head..... I am SO tired of hearing this horse****. "He calls himself a fan so that qualifies him to run the team!!"

TheDan is the best thing that Cowboy, Eagle and Giants fans have going for them. He has done more damage to this franchise, the fanbase and it's legacy than all the collected "swinging gate" moments in history. His inability to run things is a problem, his utter cluelessness about his inability is massive.

Stop calling him a fan, fans want the team to succeed, fans want a team they can be proud of. TheDan wants the limelight cast by the effort of others. If he wants to prove to me or anyone else that he actually IS a fan, that he genuinely cares about this franchise, he will sell it to someone sincerely dedicated to its success.

10 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Absolutely. The whole point of the OP is to suggest that Dan can make changes that need to be made in order to win.

As a business owner myself, I also know this to be true..... Snyder will make business mistakes for the rest of his life......and you will too if you're into making things happen! 

But the bottom line to me is this: The team will be better when they get more play-makers, some "dogs", and a lot of smart players. That's it!!! Players win ****ing football games!!! Players win SB.

I get where you're coming from, working in a highly innovative environment myself. We learn from our mistakes and we take risks. 

But, we also make sure the right people with the right skills are hired and allowed to do their jobs. We do not tolerate idiots and promptly dismiss them when it becomes obvious that's what we're seeing. If Dan did that, we would not have suffered Vinny Bug Eyes for so long.

Yes, we do need to get more play-makers, dogs and smart players. Who is going to find those people, get them to join the Skins and make it all feasible? We might not agree, but I do not think our FO has the talent to find them. I'd argue that our recent improvement in this area is due to SMGM, not Bruce Allen. At this point I'm hoping I'm wrong, but my eyes tell me I'm not.

Their respective records tell a different story. 

11 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Tell you what, if that day ever comes I will let you humble me, prison inmate style, with a samurai sword. Not the handle either... the business end.

Winning in the NFL isn’t like, “hey, everybody gets a turn!” It’s not that it hasn’t been dan’s turn yet and that when it inevitably happens, everyone’s just going to jump on the bandwagon. He has been incompetent in his role as custodian of the Redskins franchise for going on two decades now. His managerial and sexual impotence are the reason we’ve been and will continue to be an embarrassment both on and off the field.

@joeken24 - I'm really having a hard time finding the similarities between Snyder and Lurie. They contrast more than they compare.

-Lurie's a Boston boy (life long Pats fans) who bought the Eagles, despite thinking it was a iffy purchase, and has built the team up to be one of the most consistent winners in the league. He seems to be a low-key owner who is liked and respected by Eagles personnel and team owners across the league. 

-Snyder's a local, born and bred 'Skins fan, who jumped at the chance at buying the team in '99 and has become a punchline in the D.C. area and the nation-at-large because of his "hands on" approach to the team since buying it and has managed to alienated everyone from fans to personnel to park rangers. 

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Tell you what, if that day ever comes I will let you humble me, prison inmate style, with a samurai sword. Not the handle either... the business end.

Winning in the NFL isn’t like, “hey, everybody gets a turn!” It’s not that it hasn’t been dan’s turn yet and that when it inevitably happens, everyone’s just going to jump on the bandwagon. He has been incompetent in his role as custodian of the Redskins franchise for going on two decades now. His managerial and sexual impotence are the reason we’ve been and will continue to be an embarrassment both on and off the field.

Was this necessary?

Yeah it’s ridiculous how many people just reply with “you aren’t a real fan!” Or “fair weather fan” or hater or some such nonsense. 

I mean the measures I have gone to to watch games, go to games, buy merchandise... missing family events, I mean thank god for Sunday Ticket..

I almost ruined my honeymoon searching for a TV in Mexico to find the final of the skins-giants game in 2001 (skins lost).

I painted my basement the color of a skins jersey! Walls filled with autographs and pics. Burgundy and Gold everywhere!  I even have a mcnabb McFarland statue... though I tried to re-paint it into Rg3 in 2012 with no success. I’m no better than any other fan and I know it’s a bit much sometimes...but I am passionate about the team...  just can’t stand that the FO has turned it into the 90s Bengals or just cleveland.

Archived