Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Dan Snyder: We do not like being fans anymore; we tolerate it

MassSkinsFan

If I make take up for my former colleagues on the sports desk: you've always got to meet deadline. Doesn't matter if nothing's going on, doesn't matter if your particular beat is in the off season and the "hot stove" is ice cold or, worse, you live in a market with no pro or major college sports, like the one I used to work in. There were many-a-day at my old newspaper gig where I saw our sports department (made up of two guys covering prep sports in three-four counties) trying to squeeze out something interesting for the next day's paper because as sure as the sun rises, there will be a sports section in tomorrow's paper - whether it's a major market daily like the Post or a small-town weekly. 

I've never had to work on the daily sports-talk radio or TV side but I imagine it's the same times 100 since those shows can run between 1 and 4 hours. The hours some of them put in - waking up at 2 a.m. and not leaving until supper time - are ghastly. Then you consider the pay rank-and-file media workers put in (less than 10 percent are union, according to the BLS) and so on and so forth. On top of that, there's a bunch of folks who only work seasonally on "one sport" channels like NFL Network (there was a great first-person story on that in Deadspin awhile back).

Point all this is: yes, the current sports media market is garbage but the people demanded that garbage and lives depend on that garbage. And let's face it, the 'Skins have given the local sports radio talking heads and newspaper columnists in D.C. plenty to talk about over the decades - from Shirley Povich's famous story about the time Jim Brown "integrated" the 'Skins end zone to the consistent stream of baffling nonsense that's been coming out of Ashburn since 2000. I've got way more tears to shed for the underpaid, overworked beat reporter than I'll ever have for Dan Snyder and his ilk. 

5 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

...and for those of you who have not seen the Cranky Fans guide to Dan Snyder, here is a link to it (btw, this could use an update):

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13039846/the-cranky-redskins-fans-guide-to-dan-snyder

I'd love to see the update, though this is damning as-is. Most of this is just plain fact. Snyder is not an astute businessman or NFL owner.

4 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I'd love to see the update, though this is damning as-is. Most of this is just plain fact. Snyder is not an astute businessman or NFL owner.

And it's not like his predecessor was a saint or even a pleasant person to be around all the time but my God the man had the magic touch when it came to owning sports teams. Bought two sad-sack, has-been franchises in the Lakers and the 'Skins and helped make them winners.

Stories like that one bring the contrast between the team's previous and current majority owner into stark view. Like I said, The Squire is not up for canonization any time soon but I don't know if he alienated as many people in 35+ years as team owner in some capacity as Daniel Snyder has managed to in less than 20.

Nice post and while I agree w the sentiment let me offer Snyder’s take as response to your letter......

Dear Fan,

You’re right I didn’t read your post and I don’t care what you say or think.   Above all don’t ever tell me how to spend my money.  After all I bought this team for $800 million, my net worth is at 2.3 billion and the franchise has a value just under 3 billion so I’m doing just fine.  My friend Bruce has made me more money these last few years so how dare you insult Bruce.   He’s more valuable to this franchise than any quarterback, player, coach you name it.   

Whats more ore is you fans spend you’re money on this team and make me richer and that’s awesome for me.   Heck I laugh every time I see one of you wearing a haynesworth jersey,  that still cracks me up.

thinking about it, I even charged you to come to preseason practices and you guys complained yet I still got rich......hmmmmm, I even hired an offensive coordinator when I got a little drunk and then turned him into a head coach and still my net worth increased.

i can make any dumb move and these fans will still buy my jerseys, come to my stadium and buy my pricey watered down beer

The only way you could hurt me is if I was poor so it doesn’t matter what you say, fans, who needs them, not me, I have lots of people that say yes to me.  I even own an am radio station where I control the content of sports radio so yeah, life is good.   I’m rich, Bruce is a great friend and keep giving me your money.   

Yours truly

the greatest owner since jack Kent cooke

And in cas you couldn’t tell I’ve come to the epiphany that Snyder doesn’t care.   I used to think TK might be Snyder but why would Snyder ever even care.   Having good football people makes sense but unlikely we ever run like the Steelers, pats, or packers from top to bottom.   So our best hope and only hope is pure Lady Luck.   If the cubs in baseball could win anything can happen........while I’d love to give my blueprint for redskins state of the union and offer up ideas like Roquan Smith or DaRon Payne in the 1st or Allen Robinson as free agent.  Instead I’ll remain self aware that Snyder doesn’t care and fedex field is quickly turning to guaranteed on time delivery of loss after loss

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Also - I found this today. Apparently, this is an old school-style punk band out of Alexandria and they seem to share our sentiments. 

I'd put a "NSFW" tag here but I'm not gonna lie - I had a hard time understanding what they're singing. 

Cancer in song form

when was the last time  a franchise QB hit the open market in the prime of his footballin career? 

and what team was it? oh yeah the redskins. they ley KC walk out the door after dropping 4000 yrds with lil to no recievers. 

frankly I am about to jump ship. one player don't make a team. but when a franchise continually makes the wrong decisions. it makes me not interested in what this team is doing or going to do. I already refuse to buy any redskins merchandise. wife was saying the other day. my hat was getting kinda well, old and dirty. said its about time for a new one. NOPE. no money spending on this team from me. life is too short to waste rooting for this team to get better. did not even get the sunday ticket last year. guess what I missed? another loosing season. 

I'm not laughin at the browns. IMO, we are worse off then them. 

they would not let a Franchise QB, in his prime, walk out their door. 

Im a lifelong skins fan and previous season ticket holder and I plan on not watching any football next year. The combo of trading away fuller and the eagles winning the super bowl has pushed me over the edge. This is the first time in months I’ve visited this site when it used to to a daily occurrence. I’m ready for the split. 

Archived