Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Dan Snyder: We do not like being fans anymore; we tolerate it

MassSkinsFan

33 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

Hey if you don't like things pick a new team. Better fans may make going to the games more enjoyable. 

This applies to everything in life.

We really don't have that option.  Most of us have been fans our entire life. For me personally that represents over 40 years.  It's too late to change, I wish I could  but it's simply not an option.  So we are stuck with an ownership group that for some reason you appear just fine with despite what we have seen for the past 2 decades.  That's fine but you certainly shouldn't blame others for feeling differently.

No one forces any of us to cheer for the Skins.

Zorn and Shanny were hard to watch especially after Williams was supposed to take over. 

The switch to the 3-4 annoys me most as it set us back.

The 2008 draft was stupid too.

35 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

No one forces any of us to cheer for the Skins.

Zorn and Shanny were hard to watch especially after Williams was supposed to take over. 

The switch to the 3-4 annoys me most as it set us back.

The 2008 draft was stupid too.

I have not been familiar with your work before this weekend.    After a few exchanges it is clear that your takes make zero sense, on top of that you are nasty to others which is so endearing.   Kind of mind boggling that anyone would be critical of Redskins fans who are frustrated after decades of incompetence at the top but here you are.  

After  51 posts it appears that you just aren't very good at this.  Perhaps you should take up another hobby.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have not been familiar with your work before this weekend.    After a few exchanges it is clear that your takes make zero sense, on top of that you are nasty to others which is so endearing.   Kind of mind boggling that anyone would be critical of Redskins fans who are frustrated after decades of incompetence at the top but here you are.  

After  51 posts it appears that you just aren't very good at this.  Perhaps you should take up another hobby.  

I will do as I please.

59 minutes ago, Dan73 said:

I will do as I please.

You are 100% free to form and communicate your own opinions and challenge opinions of others. But if you want to continue as a member of this board you do that within the rules of the board - so no, your not free to do as you please. You’ve had a couple of warning shots about this already - play the ball not the man.

Challenging ideas or opinions is fine - challenging other posters personally or being disrespectful to them is not.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You are 100% free to form and communicate your own opinions and challenge opinions of others. But if you want to continue as a member of this board you do that within the rules of the board - so no, your not free to do as you please. You’ve had a couple of warning shots about this already - play the ball not the man.

Challenging ideas or opinions is fine - challenging other posters personally or being disrespectful to them is not.

I guess this means I am not Bruce Allen then?

13 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Don't get too excited about the fantasy though because this mythical Snyder Super Bowl trophy is never going to exist.

Thank you.  The "what if SnyderAllen's terrible GM decisions win the Super Bowl?" argument is idiotic and has just got to stop. 

It's like if a kid is about to chow down on a Tide Pod, and the rest of us are trying to stop him, and along comes some idiot saying, "But what if it gives him super powers?"

I wish somebody could write some fanfiction on what if Snyder never bought the team. Would the patriots be as dominant? Could we have a dynasty? Would we have kept Trent Green? Would Norv have been a good coach, or who would have replaced him? Would we have kept Johnson? Stephen Davis? No Ol Ball Coach? 

So many questions 

27 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wish somebody could write some fanfiction on what if Snyder never bought the team. Would the patriots be as dominant? Could we have a dynasty? Would we have kept Trent Green? Would Norv have been a good coach, or who would have replaced him? Would we have kept Johnson? Stephen Davis? No Ol Ball Coach? 

So many questions 

I believe that the team would have remained with his son John Cooke  and Norv Turner would have been the coach longer probably retaining Brad Johnson as the starting qb

20 minutes ago, c slag said:

I believe that the team would have remained with his son John Cooke  and Norv Turner would have been the coach longer probably retaining Brad Johnson as the starting qb

That's one option but remember when he tried to buy it (with Snyder) but it failed? Would somebody like a Jordan have purchased us? What about the owner of the Jaguars? Or a former player, i wonder 

Wasn't a big part of Trent Green leaving due to the team's ownership being in limbo?  If John Cooke had retained ownership, you would think they would've kept Trent here.

Norv probably should've been fired sometime in the middle of the 1998 season when we started 0-7. I don't blame Snyder for ultimately firing him, but should've waited until the end of the 2000 season, and the classless way he treated Norv was just piss-poor.

And for God's sake, if you fire Marty because the GM you want to bring in doesn't like Marty, don't you want to close the deal with said GM?

Otherwise, its difficult to say how the Skins would've fared under different ownership, but its not hard to imagine that the team would've done better than they have under the star-struck Snyder. 

9 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Wasn't a big part of Trent Green leaving due to the team's ownership being in limbo?  If John Cooke had retained ownership, you would think they would've kept Trent here.

Norv probably should've been fired sometime in the middle of the 1998 season when we started 0-7. I don't blame Snyder for ultimately firing him, but should've waited until the end of the 2000 season, and the classless way he treated Norv was just piss-poor.

And for God's sake, if you fire Marty because the GM you want to bring in doesn't like Marty, don't you want to close the deal with said GM?

Otherwise, its difficult to say how the Skins would've fared under different ownership, but its not hard to imagine that the team would've done better than they have under the star-struck Snyder. 

I think it could read like a pick your own adventure book. What you say is true but at each turn it could have gone differently. How different would we be if we had done some of those things correctly? 

I happen to think we are doing a lot correct now, if only by due theory, we but we have dug ourselves such a hole that it's hard to notice. That said, Snyder can always sell the team and allow us to start a new adventure

But in the SnyderSkins choose your own adventure book, every decision whether actual genius or Wile E Coyote genius, in the end results in a:

boom.jpg

Not much of a mystery and probably won't sell many copies after the first couple books. 

Only really good for the hardcore Wile E Coyote fans.

@SkinsFTW, that's the point of writing it ourselves. We can write our own ending. Now the question is do we want it to be believable or soothing. I don't care about believe-ability any more because real life is believe-able enough and its depressing. i need something soothing. Its just like reading a regular novel when the good guys win. I know that **** doesn't happen in real life, but it still makes me feel better, like there's hope to be had in this world.

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So many questions 

There's a lot of interesting alternative history scenarios involving Washington sports: 

-What if Calvin Griffith never moved the original Senators to Minnesota and, instead, built a winning team in D.C. (the Twins won a pennant four years after moving to Minneapolis)? Can you imagine D.C. Stadium rocking and rolling in the middle a pennant race and then hosting a World Series? That series went to 7 games and the last game was played at the Met. That could have been the first Game 7 hosted in Washington since the '24 Series.  

-What if Bob Short never bought the expansion Senators and they stayed in Washington? With better leadership, we could have had two winning teams playing in the same stadium. 

-What if Bobby Bethard stayed with the 'Skins? Does he still have the winning touch? Would the team, aging as it was, go through a full fledged overhauling like the Cowboys did in the 1990s? If so, would Gibbs be there for the rebuild or would they go in another direction? 

-(My personal favorite): What if George Preston Marshall went through with the sale to Clint Murchison and the Redskins moved to Dallas? Washington almost certainly would have gotten an expansion franchise since the deal would have gone down as the AFL was starting up. Maybe D.C. become an AFL/AFC city and has a Beltway rivalry with the Colts/Ravens. Maybe instead of Minneapolis, Pete Rozelle puts an expansion in Washington to keep us an NFL market. 

-And this one: what if Dan Snyder never buys the team? Does John Kent Cooke still get outbid? Does Charley Casserly stay in town? If so, can he build a winning franchise with Norv Turner at the helm? 

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

@thebluefood, I love it. And when you concatenate some of those things....wow.

Now where's a good writer when you need one.

Well, @Burgold is pretty handy with a pen - he's even a published author! 

I'm a little out of practice since I'm not a reporter anymore but I am looking to pick it back up again as part of my Lenten commitment (going to try to write every day, no matter what, for 40 days to keep myself in the habit). 

I've been thinking a lot about that scenario where the 'Skins are sold to Murchison and the Senators stay in D.C., though. Maybe writing something about that wouldn't be the worst idea. Would require some pretty heavy research but this is one of my favorite topics so maybe it'll be a labor of love. 

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Hi Mr. Snyder!

I'l be your friend if you hire a football GM

You see this mods I am now Snyder yesterday I was Allen. So anymore guff from you guys and I will trade you to the Dallas Cowboys website for Ham samwhich gifs.

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Well, @Burgold is pretty handy with a pen - he's even a published author! 

I'm a little out of practice since I'm not a reporter anymore but I am looking to pick it back up again as part of my Lenten commitment (going to try to write every day, no matter what, for 40 days to keep myself in the habit). 

I've been thinking a lot about that scenario where the 'Skins are sold to Murchison and the Senators stay in D.C., though. Maybe writing something about that wouldn't be the worst idea. Would require some pretty heavy research but this is one of my favorite topics so maybe it'll be a labor of love. 

Funny that you mention it, I was going to ping him, and he does write fantasy which is right up my alley.

Honestly I think this could be a simple thread (maybe in tailgate) that could just take off on its own. Its so difficult to get through these depressing times like right after the Smith trade. I could write a fantasy novel on my Madden franchises that have come about since then. (Johnathan Allen set the sack record).

14 hours ago, hail2skins said:

There are various things I remember from the Marty times:

1) Marty demanded Vinny be out.  That apparently rubbed Snyder the wrong way, but he had agreed to giving Marty full control.

2) Marty had to cost cut, so he trimmed the roster down quite a bit and basically did the best he could with a lot of guys who NFL experts knew weren't going to make us winners immediately.  We still managed 8-8 that year, which really isn't bad all things considering, but it was tough to watch certainly.  The thing is, the thinking fan felt like somethin good could come the following year.

3) Marty gave advice to Darrell Green.  I don't think this was meant as a big news report back then, but I remember there was this almost palpable dislike for that.   Maybe it was just in my circle of people, but I remember there was a pretty unanimous negative reaction to that story that Marty had "tips" for DG on playing DB.

4) When Marty was fired, following a year of "inside scoops" on the Redskins Organization that many of us attributed to Vinny anyway, Snyder went and re-hired Vinny again.  It's not like Vinny was waiting around.  Upon getting fired, he went to other teams; no one was interested.  So, "somehow" he was still available for Snyder after a year of maybe giving out negative gossip on the Skins.

This kind of history is why the Redskins are considered one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL even when they have some successful seasons (even though the decision making has clearly in my mind gotten better, there is always a tendency to raise an eyebrow and scrutinize the moves - player, FO, all - with a negative tilt... due to decisions like this in the past).

-- sorry for the ramble... what I don't remember is... who is this GM? that is escaping my memory.

Archived