Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

With Breeland not signing with anyone yet, is there any chance that we might sign him to any type of deal that benifits us? Our secondary scares me in a way, but with a d-line now it might over come it.  I just want to hear yalls opinions on bringing him back if the deal is right. 

2 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

With Breeland not signing with anyone yet, is there any chance that we might sign him to any type of deal that benifits us? Our secondary scares me in a way, but with a d-line now it might over come it.  I just want to hear yalls opinions on bringing him back if the deal is right. 

This article is a very interesting and technical take on the prospects of Breeland returning to the Skins.

What should the Redskins do about Bashaud Breeland ?

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/5/4/17314540/what-should-the-redskins-do-about-bashaud-breeland

Once the ‘Skins have tendered Breeland, and after the Tuesday deadline passes and Breeland is still a free agent, there are four possible outcomes:

1. Breeland signs with another team before the July deadline (22 July or the first day of training camp, whichever is earlier), and the Redskins may get a better compensatory pick than they would have gotten otherwise. He’s likely to sign a contract with an APY in excess of $7m per season, which would likely result in a 5th round comp pick, moving the Redskins up from the current (estimated) 6th rounder for Terrelle Pryor. It’s just one round higher, but it comes at no cost to the ‘Skins.

2. Breeland signs the tender with the Redskins ($1.977m) and plays another season for Washington.

3. Breeland signs the tender with the Redskins ($1.977m) and they trade him for a draft pick.

4. Breeland doesn’t play in the NFL in 2018 (a very unlikely outcome).

7 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I wouldn't think so, because I don't believe that the Redskins' not re-signing Breeland is simply contract-demand related.

39 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I wouldn't think so, because I don't believe that the Redskins' not re-signing Breeland is simply contract-demand related.

This is the point many seem to be missing. The Redskins did not even give him any offer. Some suggested they may have not given an offer because they knew it would be too much. If that were true, then once the Ravens deal feel through, there would have been some noise. 

It's clear - like it or not - the Redskins do not want Breeland back, period and it has nothing to do with compensation. 

30 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is the point many seem to be missing. The Redskins did not even give him any offer. Some suggested they may have not given an offer because they knew it would be too much. If that were true, then once the Ravens deal feel through, there would have been some noise. 

It's clear - like it or not - the Redskins do not want Breeland back, period and it has nothing to do with compensation. 

Yep.

Breeland hasn't been the same since the Redskins brought Josh Norman to Washington D.C. His reaction that day was head-scratching and selfish.

It reminded me a lot of Lavar Arrington's reaction when the Redskins brought back Joe Gibbs, which was also head-scrtaching and selfish on Arrington's part.

His bad attitude eventually led to Arrington's departure. I believe Breelands' eventually led to his.

Bree had "character-concerns" coming out of college (great Shanny-Steal in 4th) then failed a weed test in his second year with Skins.  Tried to keep his head on straight but eventually blew up on coaching staff in practice Year 3.  Took his helmet off, sat on water cooler on the sideline.  Scot McBeast (prolly drunk off that MALT) apparently waited outside of the showers and told him "get dressed and meet me in my office" (Principle Skinner, take notes = Don't be so soft.)

Then the tweet-storms, the overall weirdness, etc.  I'll always fondly remember how Bree straight-up BOSSED the most feared WR in the NFC East (took his notes from ST21 on TO), but at the same time- happy to say farewell. 

Weird guy overall-- I wish for his personal success (truly, bc it's not easy for everyone) and grateful for the moments he gave us.  No chance he's a Redskin ever again,

On 5/6/2018 at 6:42 PM, Butters20 said:

You don't think they'd line up a trade partner willing to part with a pick for only having to pay him 1.97? 

He failed a physical.... that would void a trade... and why would they trade for him if they can sign him as a free agent?  

Edit:  You may be onto something here... as a free agent he may be looking to get ~$8 mil a year like he was reported offered by the Panthers, but if we can then tender him and put him on the block, a team may want to kick the tires on a show me deal for $1.97 mil.  This is an interesting point and could be a very smart move. 

On 5/6/2018 at 6:13 PM, SkinsGuy said:

Yep.

Breeland hasn't been the same since the Redskins brought Josh Norman to Washington D.C. His reaction that day was head-scratching and selfish.

It reminded me a lot of Lavar Arrington's reaction when the Redskins brought back Joe Gibbs, which was also head-scrtaching and selfish on Arrington's part.

His bad attitude eventually led to Arrington's departure. I believe Breelands' eventually led to his.

And he's already had public contention with Gruden and some of the players on offense, to the point where he got kicked out of practice.  I would imagine his agent went to him then and told him to keep his head down and just make it to free agency.  Ball out and get paid.  Well now he's sitting at home (apparently) waiting for the phone to ring.   I want to say I heard a report that the injury required a skin graft and that he may not even be ready to run until the beginning of training camps.  I would assume he'll stay out on the open market until then, when he can go in and actually work out for a team.  

This failed physical is going to linger with him, and he's damaged goods now... every GM and Coach that takes a look at him will always be asking about the failed physical.  

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Envious the Panthers got CJ Anderson, although would like to see the value of his one year deal

Guice, Anderson, CT25 would have been a potentially great backfield combination.

CJ would certainly upgrade over Kelley and Perine.  

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

CJ would certainly upgrade over Kelley and Perine.  

I'm excited about a Guice, Perine, Thompson and Bibbs background. The only problem I have with that is Bibbs's age. at 25/26, I don't see much upside in his growth. But, I wonder about the guy we drafted a few years back - Keith Marshall. Is he even still on the roster? He was a guy who had all the skills and had some potential but kept getting hurt (2 years in a row at least). Then there's Byron Marshall who was looking good until he just fell on that kickoff. But I think that these backs give a receiving option out of the backfield that we lost when Thompson went down. Guice could be that too, but we haven't seen it ouside of his pro day. I feel like with Perine and Kelley we have to backs who are similar in style to Guice but lesser backs, with Perine better than Kelley. But the 4 some mentioned above gives us some nice depth at the position.

16 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Keith Marshall. Is he even still on the roster? He was a guy who had all the skills and had some potential but kept getting hurt (2 years in a row at least). T

The only skill Marshall had was straight line speed. From what I remember, he could not catch, block or juke. I don't think he was a quick shifty side to side runner. Get him an open lane and sure, he could out run the defense. Also his vision in the NFL was terrible. Maybe it was a confidence thing.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

saw in the OP that bill Callahan is a FA? did we give him a contract extension yet, or does it look like he'll be coaching somewhere else?

I can't find anything on his contract status.  Has he been working with the team this offseason?  Is he expected back and officially signing a new deal just a formality?

20 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Then it should be amazingly easy for another OG to outperform him in camp.

Cooley playing OG should be able to beat out Lauvao.

I hope we draft a beast LG/C next year. We need some better interior guys.

I for one am happy we brought back Lavaou, unfortunately, imo as of today he’s the best we got at LG. Hoping one of the unknowns steps up and out plays him. And we end up cutting him and going for youth/unknown. We’ll see, when healthy (I know I know) I think he’s been eh to ok..

Surprised this hasn’t made the forum yet. In case some of y’all might have missed it

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/deadline-passes-for-free-agents-to-count-against-compensatory-pick-formula?fv-home=true&post-id=107042

Overthecap has released the formula for who is going to get comp picks now that this is not an issue anymore

https://overthecap.com/2019-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5-8-2018

They are reporting the Redskins will get a third for Cousins, a fifth for Long, and two sixths for Grant and Pryor. 

Pretty nice haul imo. And now they can sign anyone they want and not lose those picks, or in the ongoing discussion about Breeland get any picks if they lose someone

15 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

Lauvao has been poor for a while. Unless he's costing a pittance I don't see the point.

This is not a good sign at all.  Lavauo is cooked.  I guess they're gonna just throw bodies at the problem and see what happens. 

12 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Surprised this hasn’t made the forum yet. In case some of y’all might have missed it

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/deadline-passes-for-free-agents-to-count-against-compensatory-pick-formula?fv-home=true&post-id=107042

Overthecap has released the formula for who is going to get comp picks now that this is not an issue anymore

They are reporting the Redskins will get a third for Cousins, a fifth for Long, and two sixths for Grant and Pryor. 

Pretty nice haul imo. And now they can sign anyone they want and not lose those picks, or in the ongoing discussion about Breeland get any picks if they lose someone

Is there anyone sitting out there that we should be signing? I'm not aware of any. Unless Hankins can play OG. 

12 hours ago, bobandweave said:

First, certainly thanks for posting this. I would caution however this is just Overthecap guess based on what they know about the formula. It's probably a pretty good guess and likely will be what the team gets, but until the league releases their list we cannot be 100% sure. 

What's interesting is that they are still holding onto the narrative that the Redskins spend heavily in free agency when that has not been true for several years now. Really not since Bruce has been here - I can't stand the guy but you have to give him credit for changing that part of the culture - of course maybe to a fault. 

If this is accurate, they will have some capitol to make some moves during the draft, or maybe even trade for someone - like maybe a starting LG!!  :chair:

NBC sports had an article about comp picks.  It points out that performance also figures into it.  So I hope Grant and Pryor have awesome years.  It says that Compton and Paul's contracts are to low for comp picks rather than four being the max

Archived