Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

I think we’ll be okay with our top three dbs  at least from a talent standpoint. 

Norman is very good. 

Moreau has a ton of potential and a year in the system. 

Dunbar is better than we give him credit for and held the fort pretty well when everybody was hurt. 

Cromartie and Holsey fight it out for fourth corner. 

The problem with Breeland is given his personality you can’t bring him back at a cheap salary and a demotion. It’s tio many blows to the ego. 

16 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

I'd take Galette back.  But you're right, I can only imagine the bridge has been burnt with the likely low-ball offer and the follow-up 'slave-wages' tweets.  @Burgold hit the nail on the head too when he commented that Hankins and Galette both think their value is a lot higher than the market is willing to offer.  And, by not signing to a team before the draft, I bet their stock is 50%-75% of what was.

So is Gallette still available because teams don't think "he has it" anymore ?

Or is it simply because Gallette won't budge on a non-rational salary demand ?

Or because his comments about the Redskins turned away other teams, and not just the Redskins ?

I mean, I understand basically why the Redskins don't want him back now, but I'm surprised and curious why he hasn't signed elsewhere.

I still firmly believe this defense needs another pass rusher. Galette makes too much sense but it’s apparent the FO doesn’t want him in the locker room. With the selection of Chubb, it was just announced DEN won’t pick up Shane Ray’s option on his rookie contract. Due to the expected compensatory picks in next year’s draft, I would try floating Denver a 5th, or maybe a 4th for him. He was hurt last year, but showed a ton of promise in his sophomore campaign. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What players have come out and said they didn’t want him?  That is news to me. 

And its possible that that the coaches/FO just didn’t want him at the expensive contract he was asking for (and the one he got with the Panthers). It would be INCREDIBLE value if no other team signed him and we were able to have him play under the cost of the tender. 

And yes, we will get torched from the slot all year if Orlando Scandrick is our slot CB. I watched a lot of  Dallas games last year, and Scandrick was their worst secondary player by far IMO. PFF data also bears that out. 

The other two guys competing for that spot are 7th round picks (one from 2017 and one from 2018). That is far from a Kendall Fuller-like talent that only fell due to injury. I was definitely not one of the ppl calling for Fuller to be cut after the 2016 season because I realized the dude was a legit 1st round pick without the injury, and it would probably take a full season to get back to form. There was a lot of raw clay for coach Gray to work with there. I highly doubt he gets the same results from either 7th round pick, and I think we’d be fools to rely on it. If we do, there’s a good chance that good QBs will exploit that weakness over and over again throughout the season. 

If Breeland doesn’t sign the tender and no team picks him up, the worst thing that can happen is that we cut him at an extremely minimal loss. It’s a low risk, high reward move that teams like the Patriots and Eagles would do in a second. 

You missed a few things. I never said players had said they didn't want him. I said what if. I did said it's odd that no one is jumping to his defense like they did Fuller. That is a huge distinction. I do not know any more than you do which is actually my point. There is so much we do not know that making proclamations or any assumptions is extremely pre-mature. 

I presented why I believe it's possible they do not want him. Could they have said we are not offering competitive money and then let him go? Maybe - but that's not what he said. Breeland said he was never approached about staying a Redskin. I do find it interesting how people get a single guy in their mind as the panacia of solutions for the team. Breeland has not really been much of a fan favorite until now that he is cut. Also, personally I think his attitude sucks. He whined when Norman was brought in and pouted instead of fighting for a job. Then in a contract year he plays a bit better but nothing to get excited about. Like it or not, they have decided to move on. That was my original point. Not really worth any more discussion about Breeland.

As for the others - You are clearly down on Scandrick. I agree he was pretty bad last year. But then again he was and has been a bit nicked up. If - again this is a big if - he can stay healthy and is even half of what he was he will be fine as a stop gap. Also, he is virtually free. If any of the new guys beat him out you can cut him pretty easily. They do have several other guys they can look at. Clearly they feel they have the guys in house that can compete. Again, while I have little faith in Bruce I do have faith in Jay and Torrian. If they say the guys in house can compete then until they prove me wrong then I will give them a chance. 

Also, lost in all this is that with a much improved dline that can actually stop the run, the DBs will not always be on the heels. We will not have to put  8 in the box just to stop the run. If the dline is as good as I believe it can be - this will take a lot of pressure off the backfield. 

As for the NE Patriots and Philly - Philly is the same classless organization that just tried to trash Guice. They do not have a history I would want to emulate even though they did win a SB. But Ok, i tried to find where they executed this strategy but could nto find anything. It may be there but i am just not finding it. My understanding is that NE is about the only team to really use this designation. I could be wrong though. If you know of a time they did so - remember they are on the other side of Blount, not the tender side. The Patriots did do so with Blount and it worked out for them. They got a 7th rd pick. 

I do not know the compensation formula, so how are sure it would net them anything higher than a 7th - which I believe we have already maxed out at 4 comp picks. So another 7th is useless. Do you know the formula? Can you share? I would be interested. 

Last but not least, the tender is for just under $2M. He has to be tendered 110% of his last salary (just under $1.8M). Once he signs the tender it becomes fully guaranteed if I understand the rules right. 

As I said this is like when people were trying to convince everyone that the team should tag Kirk again and force a trade. I get these are different positions but to me nityher makes sense. It sounds nice until you take a minute to understand what can go wrong. 

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

As for Scandrick, I'm no expert on ex-Dallas players. I mainly know them by how they play against us.

But I clearly remember that whenever we played Dallas, Scandrick was doing bad things to us - like a thorn in our side.

Jason Hatcher..the dude we just released..idk..I look back and think we've never really got much production from ex cowboys..hope that changes with scandrick..

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You missed a few things. I never said players had said they didn't want him. I said what if. I did said it's odd that no one is jumping to his defense like they did Fuller. That is a huge distinction. I do not know any more than you do which is actually my point. There is so much we do not know that making proclamations or any assumptions is extremely pre-mature.

The way you worded that question made me think you were including "if" on only the first part of the question.  I apologize, since it looks like you weren't trying to claim players came out against Breeland.  You were only asking the question, I guess.

Players had a long time to get used to the idea that Breeland would be gone, and Moreau was his likely replacement. That's just how NFL teams operate.  The Fuller situation was different.  He was suddenly traded.  It was a big shock to everyone and was the leading media story for days.  I'm not surprised players came out to post reactions on Twitter. 

I'm not sure how I made any proclamations or assumptions, so I'm actually not too sure what the point of this part of the exchange was.  Neither of us know how Breeland was viewed by other players in the locker room.

I presented why I believe it's possible they do not want him. Could they have said we are not offering competitive money and then let him go? Maybe - but that's not what he said. Breeland said he was never approached about staying a Redskin. I do find it interesting how people get a single guy in their mind as the panacia of solutions for the team. Breeland has not really been much of a fan favorite until now that he is cut.

As I said above, the writing was on the wall for Breeland once they draft Moreau in 2017.  I'm not surprised he was never approached.  It could be that they didn't want him at any price, but it could definitely also be that they knew his asking price was too high (as the Panthers contract bears out) when they already had a replacement waiting in the wings.

As for the others - You are clearly down on Scandrick. I agree he was pretty bad last year. But then again he was and has been a bit nicked up. If - again this is a big if - he can stay healthy and is even half of what he was he will be fine as a stop gap. Also, he is virtually free. If any of the new guys beat him out you can cut him pretty easily. They do have several other guys they can look at. Clearly they feel they have the guys in house that can compete. Again, while I have little faith in Bruce I do have faith in Jay and Torrian. If they say the guys in house can compete then until they prove me wrong then I will give them a chance. 

Yes, I am down on Scandrick.  I do not want to go into the season with him as our starting nickel CB.  I think he fractured a bone in his hand last year, right?  That's not exactly going to allow me to give him much of a pass.  If it was a leg injury or a rib injury like Norman, I would definitely be a lot more prone to excusing his putrid performance last season.  But that's not the case here.

Regarding the other guys, I just don't have the same faith you do that Jay and Gray can turn these 7th round picks (do you know the hit rate in that round?) into good starters at the nickel position.  It's definitely possible.  But I don't think it's likely.  And I'd rather not go into the season with our solution at slot CB being two 7th round guys and one (IMO) washed up vet.  Breeland has already shown he performs extremely well in the slot (check the PFF stats) over his career and would be a definite upgrade over anyone we currently have projected to start there.

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Also, lost in all this is that with a much improved dline that can actually stop the run, the DBs will not always be on the heels. We will not have to put  8 in the box just to stop the run. If the dline is as good as I believe it can be - this will take a lot of pressure off the backfield.

Yes, our DL is much improved.  The thing that's so great about a slot WR though is that the OL doesn't have to buy much time for the QB to get the ball out when a QB is targeting a slot WR.  That's why slot WRs are expected to be quicker rather than fast, and excellent route runners, because they need to get open quickly.  For most of a slot WR's routes, the DL can't be expected to get to the QB before the QB throws the ball to his WR. 

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

As for the NE Patriots and Philly - Philly is the same classless organization that just tried to trash Guice. They do not have a history I would want to emulate even though they did win a SB. But Ok, i tried to find where they executed this strategy but could nto find anything. It may be there but i am just not finding it. My understanding is that NE is about the only team to really use this designation. I could be wrong though. If you know of a time they did so - remember they are on the other side of Blount, not the tender side. The Patriots did do so with Blount and it worked out for them. They got a 7th rd pick. 

I do not know the compensation formula, so how are sure it would net them anything higher than a 7th - which I believe we have already maxed out at 4 comp picks. So another 7th is useless. Do you know the formula? Can you share? I would be interested.

Philly's top brass (Roseman, Pederson, Douglas) actually came out and categorically denied that anything bad happened with Guice.  If I had to bet money on it, it was likely Guice's former agent or the agents of other RBs in his class that put those rumors out there for the media to run with. 

In regards to the Eagles and Patriots comment, I wasn't referring to only the tender situation.  I am referring to the fact that those franchises take advantage of inefficiencies in the market and seize on the opportunities to game the "system" to their full advantage.  This would be something I could see both franchises doing if they were in a similar situation with a player of Breeland's caliber.

Regarding the comp pick formula, you can read this article to help your understanding: https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Basically, in regards to this situation, Breeland will likely be offered more money than Terrelle Pryor, whose salary is currently counting towards our 4th comp pick (6th round).  If Breeland signs for more money, he could likely land us a 5th round comp pick.  So instead of the 3,5,6,6 we are currently projected to get, we could turn that into 3,5,5,6. 

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Last but not least, the tender is for just under $2M. He has to be tendered 110% of his last salary (just under $1.8M). Once he signs the tender it becomes fully guaranteed if I understand the rules right. 

As I said this is like when people were trying to convince everyone that the team should tag Kirk again and force a trade. I get these are different positions but to me nityher makes sense. It sounds nice until you take a minute to understand what can go wrong. 

I am failing to see any real downside to offering him the tender.  Especially compared to the upside of having Breeland start for us at Nickel or having a better comp pick.  Can you lay out the downsides to this as you see them?

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No notable releases yet, if things stay on course, I'd like Breeland or Cromartie please. :)

More

Notable unsigned veteran free agents hours before the draft:

* Dez Bryant * Eric Reid * NaVorro Bowman * DeMarco Murray * Johnathan Hankins * Eric Decker * Karlos Dansby * Brandon Marshall * Bashaud Breeland * Kenny Vaccaro * Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

101 replies631 retweets1,529 likes

Id take DRC as well. Between him and Scandrick we also get emergency cover at safety if required. Someone needs to step up at LG and C or we'll be on the look out for a vet during camp.

and I will repeat myself on Hankins...we need more than a great starting DL, we need a great complete DL group, otherwise come week 8 we'll be banged up again getting 150 yards per game hung on us through November and December. 

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Basically, in regards to this situation, Breeland will likely be offered more money than Terrelle Pryor, whose salary is currently counting towards our 4th comp pick (6th round).  If Breeland signs for more money, he could likely land us a 5th round comp pick.  So instead of the 3,5,6,6 we are currently projected to get, we could turn that into 3,5,5,6. 

Agreed. Also, i hadn't realised there was a deadline of that nature so a tender to Breeland at that cost would be worthwhile.

No news at all on the Hankins front, the entire league seems to have moved on at this point and I highly doubt any of the offers he got during his FA visits are still on the table.  He is probably looking at little more than vet minimum to sign right now and so will probably hedge his bets and wait for training camps to start up as a timely injury or two could push his price back up.

Junior is in an even worse position I think.  Once we decided to pull our offer he had visits with the Raiders and Browns but no contract even though the Browns talked numbers with his agent.  I know we were specifically turned off by the twitter comments but that probably applies to the other 31 teams in the league too.  I do a lot of hiring in my position and I always check out the social media footprint of any applicants and they go straight into the trash can if there is anything either vulgar or just suggestive of an immature personality.

So I checked the numbers for the June 1 tenders. Bashaud Breeland made $1,797,000 last year. He has to be offered at 100%, so that's the tender the team has to offer him to try and maintain his compensatory pick rights (mind you he was getting $7 million per from Carolina). Junior Galette made $775,000. As a veteran, he has to be offered at 110%, or $852,500. Both seem like no-brainers to tender. Breeland will surely sign elsewhere for money once his foot is healed. Galette might even accept the offer if he's gotten nothing better. But that seems like a no-risk situation for the team, getting a cheaper pass rusher for less than a million (if he makes it to final cuts)

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Jason Hatcher..the dude we just released..idk..I look back and think we've never really got much production from ex cowboys..hope that changes with scandrick..

I think Hatcher was one of our better acquisitions from Dallas. Better than Bowen, etc. Maybe you were thinking of Bowen.

Hatcher may have only given us 2 years before he retired, but they were 2 good years of production, and pass pressure.

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The way you worded that question made me think you were including "if" on only the first part of the question.  I apologize, since it looks like you weren't trying to claim players came out against Breeland.  You were only asking the question, I guess.

Players had a long time to get used to the idea that Breeland would be gone, and Moreau was his likely replacement. That's just how NFL teams operate.  The Fuller situation was different.  He was suddenly traded.  It was a big shock to everyone and was the leading media story for days.  I'm not surprised players came out to post reactions on Twitter. 

Possibly, but there was nto even one - sorry to see him go. As I said though I have no idea. I was just posing it as a possibility. 

I'm not sure how I made any proclamations or assumptions, so I'm actually not too sure what the point of this part of the exchange was.  Neither of us know how Breeland was viewed by other players in the locker room.

The proclamations was about how people were going to get torched and other players/teams would run all over us. Was not about Breeland. 

As I said above, the writing was on the wall for Breeland once they draft Moreau in 2017.  I'm not surprised he was never approached.  It could be that they didn't want him at any price, but it could definitely also be that they knew his asking price was too high (as the Panthers contract bears out) when they already had a replacement waiting in the wings.

Yes, I am down on Scandrick.  I do not want to go into the season with him as our starting nickel CB.  I think he fractured a bone in his hand last year, right?  That's not exactly going to allow me to give him much of a pass.  If it was a leg injury or a rib injury like Norman, I would definitely be a lot more prone to excusing his putrid performance last season.  But that's not the case here.

Regarding the other guys, I just don't have the same faith you do that Jay and Gray can turn these 7th round picks (do you know the hit rate in that round?) into good starters at the nickel position.  It's definitely possible.  But I don't think it's likely.  And I'd rather not go into the season with our solution at slot CB being two 7th round guys and one (IMO) washed up vet.  Breeland has already shown he performs extremely well in the slot (check the PFF stats) over his career and would be a definite upgrade over anyone we currently have projected to start there.

I am aware of the hit ratio of the rounds have posted it here myself several times. However, once in the building, anything can happen. Would I prefer they get a Cromartie? Sure. But if they feel they have the guys, again I feel good about how Jay and his coaches have developed players. You disagree clearly. Fair enough. I just don't see it that way. 

Yes, our DL is much improved.  The thing that's so great about a slot WR though is that the OL doesn't have to buy much time for the QB to get the ball out when a QB is targeting a slot WR.  That's why slot WRs are expected to be quicker rather than fast, and excellent route runners, because they need to get open quickly.  For most of a slot WR's routes, the DL can't be expected to get to the QB before the QB throws the ball to his WR. 

But you can also allow help, especially since we play a lot of zone. May not stop the reception but can limit the impact by having people in early support. 

Philly's top brass (Roseman, Pederson, Douglas) actually came out and categorically denied that anything bad happened with Guice.  If I had to bet money on it, it was likely Guice's former agent or the agents of other RBs in his class that put those rumors out there for the media to run with. 

The altercation happened at the combine. Both admitted so. Guice's agent asked for a revisit in Philly and all agreed that went well. I agree the leaking could be about his agent. This is where I got it. If they are walking that back - OK. Have honestly not kept up with it. But it's not like philly has not done this before. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/28/source-altercation-between-eagles-guice-happened-at-scouting-combine/

In regards to the Eagles and Patriots comment, I wasn't referring to only the tender situation.  I am referring to the fact that those franchises take advantage of inefficiencies in the market and seize on the opportunities to game the "system" to their full advantage.  This would be something I could see both franchises doing if they were in a similar situation with a player of Breeland's caliber.

It did not read that way so fair enough. It does appear that the new FO there is doing a good job and using the resources they have. 

Regarding the comp pick formula, you can read this article to help your understanding: https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

I am very well aware of this article and have posted it numerous times for others. But they say right up front it's not scientific or anything close to exact. It's a combination of salary, playing time and other. But they do not know much more than their speculation. BTW: Love overthecap.com. Great site. Love the salary calculator. 

I am failing to see any real downside to offering him the tender.  Especially compared to the upside of having Breeland start for us at Nickel or having a better comp pick.  Can you lay out the downsides to this as you see them?

I believe if he signs the tender it's fully guaranteed and you are stuck with him. Unlike NE who knew Blount was leaving, there is a possibility at this point for $2M - with no other offers - he might sign it and then just be douche. I am not positive about this, but I believe if signs the tender and he is injured, they cannot release him without an injury settlement which is even more money. And for what, moving a 6th rd comp pick to a 5th rd - maybe? If we did not already have comp picks coming, then I might see it differently. But if I understand things properly we are already in line for the 4 max. Maybe i am wrong there. 

Finally, the biggest difference between us is I am glad he is gone and want him to stay that way. I do not think he has the right temperament needed to be successful. He whines too much and seems more about himself than the team. I am not in the locker room. It's just my impression of him, an impression he has done nothing to change since he complained about Norman coming in then pouted most of 2016 instead of seeing it as a challenge. 

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I both agree and disagree - how is that for commitment!!  

I agree in the end they were placeholders.Not sure they were the best they could get. Had wee paid up we could have had Hankins last year and still have him this year. There were a few others we could have had. What they were were the most economical options last year. 

Also, I am certain (no I was not in the room so it's just my opinion), they believed those two would solve the Dline issue. I get the feeling that Tomsula tried to tell them (Bruce basically) that you can't throw band-aids at the Dline (this with admitting I was hopeful the two Mcs would be the answer) and was proven right this year. With us taking JA last year then tripling down with Payne and Settle, it's clear that either Manusky, Tomsula or both are being heard and respected. I see this as a good thing. 

Could it be that Doug's best attribute - his people skills - is exactly what was needed to keep egos in check? He seems to be front and center on a lot of the recent decisions. I hope so for the teams sake. At least for this off-season it seems to be working.

Also, we (and I definitely include myself here), may have underestimated his talent evaluating abilities. Again, I hope so for the teams sake. I still do not liek Bruce. But if this continues to work, whether it's because of him or despite him, if it works then it is what it is. 

As for the players: I don't see it that way. 

1st team - Iaonnidis, Payne, Allen

2nd team - Settles, Taylor, Lanier 

If they keep 7, it will be between Hood or McGee unless Taylor gets injured or can't make the team. They both have positives. McGee is younger - 3 yrs. Hood is cheaper but he is also a lot less dead cap with the same cap savings as releasing McGee. McGee played decent when he was in. Not great but well enough. 

Hood has been here longer and from what I have heard is a locker room leader. Many of the young guys look up to him. The coaches may want to have a guy with more experience with the Redskins. It's very unlike they both make the team unless someone gets injured. 

So for me, I can't really speak on Hankins. I haven't seen one down from the guy. As a matter of fact, he might've just been a "name" out there in free agency based on the fact that he hasn't signed yet. Notwithstanding, I think the Skins have been true to their word about building through the draft, sprinkling in FAs on one year deals where needed. Some of FAs work out, some don't. I think the McGhee pickup was more about getting what you could with the money you had allotted for that position. Maybe there was other players out there that may have been better. But if they weren't much better, why pay more? I think the Junior G and Pernell McPhee situation speaks to that idea. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I believe if he signs the tender it's fully guaranteed and you are stuck with him. Unlike NE who knew Blount was leaving, there is a possibility at this point for $2M - with no other offers - he might sign it and then just be douche. I am not positive about this, but I believe if signs the tender and he is injured, they cannot release him without an injury settlement which is even more money. And for what, moving a 6th rd comp pick to a 5th rd - maybe? If we did not already have comp picks coming, then I might see it differently. But if I understand things properly we are already in line for the 4 max. Maybe i am wrong there. 

Finally, the biggest difference between us is I am glad he is gone and want him to stay that way. I do not think he has the right temperament needed to be successful. He whines too much and seems more about himself than the team. I am not in the locker room. It's just my impression of him, an impression he has done nothing to change since he complained about Norman coming in then pouted most of 2016 instead of seeing it as a challenge. 

I believe this is the real source of our disagreement, so I'll just respond to this part.

I too am not sure what we would have to pay if he gets injured, but we'd have to pay virtually any player on our roster an injury settlement if it comes to that.  If you're implying he would fake an injury, I really really doubt he would pull that move or be petty enough to play below his skill level in order to try to "get back" at the Redskins for the tender.  Why?  Money.  It's a powerful motivator.  He stands to lose tens of millions if he doesn't play and play well this year.  He was a mid round pick in 2014, so it's not like he has a lot of money to fall back on.  He will be very motivated to play well and hit free agency next year for the mega contract he feels he is worth (and we will get a 2020 comp pick when he leaves).  Even if he does get injured, losing a couple of million will be worth taking the chance.

I understand you are glad he is gone.  But personally, I just want the best players we can possibly get to suit up on Sundays and win us football games.  I think Breeland has proven he can be a solid contributor in that endeavor, especially when he is playing slot CB.  I truly think this defense can flirt with top 5 status if Payne is as advertised and our key players stay healthy.  But only if we sure up the slot CB position.  Otherwise, I fear that position will be exploited on a regular basis throughout the season.

For me, signing Breeland to the tender is a win-win situation.  Either we sign him and he plays or we sign him and another team signs him away from us, which increases our comp pick in 2019.  The only real risk is him getting injured and losing our ~$2m we invest in him this season for nothing.  That is definitely not enough money in my eyes to prevent us from making this move.

13 hours ago, Burgold said:

Injuries are not anybody's fault, but the Redskins gave Galette two years for free. Very few teams would have done that for a guy they had no history with. They also treated him with kid gloves last year, very carefully monitoring his pitch count. That probably frustrated him, but was a smart thing to do. I can't speak to how the Front Office negotiated with him, but the Redskins treated Galette as well as anyone could.

Almost every other team would have cut bait after two achilles injuries. Most wouldn't have re-signed him after one.

Exactly. It speaks to the team's belief in him. But it also speak to Galette in a good way. I mean you can't dismiss the fact that he got a freakin' tattoo of the team logo on his shoulder. And like you said, the team paid him for two years. They must've considered Galette a good guy. So who know's, maybe they bury the hatchet. Again, if they do, I believe Galette would ball out. 

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I believe this is the real source of our disagreement, so I'll just respond to this part.

I too am not sure what we would have to pay if he gets injured, but we'd have to pay virtually any player on our roster an injury settlement if it comes to that.  If you're implying he would fake an injury, I really really doubt he would pull that move or be petty enough to play below his skill level in order to try to "get back" at the Redskins for the tender.  Why?  Money.  It's a powerful motivator.  He stands to lose tens of millions if he doesn't play and play well this year.  He was a mid round pick in 2014, so it's not like he has a lot of money to fall back on.  He will be very motivated to play well and hit free agency next year for the mega contract he feels he is worth (and we will get a 2020 comp pick when he leaves).  Even if he does get injured, losing a couple of million will be worth taking the chance.

I understand you are glad he is gone.  But personally, I just want the best players we can possibly get to suit up on Sundays and win us football games.  I think Breeland has proven he can be a solid contributor in that endeavor, especially when he is playing slot CB.  I truly think this defense can flirt with top 5 status if Payne is as advertised and our key players stay healthy.  But only if we sure up the slot CB position.  Otherwise, I fear that position will be exploited on a regular basis throughout the season.

For me, signing Breeland to the tender is a win-win situation.  Either we sign him and he plays or we sign him and another team signs him away from us, which increases our comp pick in 2019.  The only real risk is him getting injured and losing our ~$2m we invest in him this season for nothing.  That is definitely not enough money in my eyes to prevent us from making this move.

Fair enough and I agree with the bolded. We just disagree with what that looks like. And he did already pout an entire season - 2016. So I have some data to suggest he could be that petty. Either way I see guys like that as a cancer in a locker room. For me he was addition through subtraction. It's not always just about skill. 

Anyway, interesting discussion. Probably time to move on. Neither are likely to change our thoughts on this.  So cheers! :cheers:

7 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

So for me, I can't really speak on Hankins. I haven't seen one down from the guy. As a matter of fact, he might've just been a "name" out there in free agency based on the fact that he hasn't signed yet. Notwithstanding, I think the Skins have been true to their word about building through the draft, sprinkling in FAs on one year deals where needed. Some of FAs work out, some don't. I think the McGhee pickup was more about getting what you could with the money you had allotted for that position. Maybe there was other players out there that may have been better. But if they weren't much better, why pay more? I think the Junior G and Pernell McPhee situation speaks to that idea. 

Hankins would have helped. But him specifically was not really my point. They had other options and chose to go with the Mcs. So to me it was not intended to be a stop gap. It just ended up that way. That's just me though. Who knows what they really thought. 

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough and I agree with the bolded. We just disagree with what that looks like. And he did already pout an entire season - 2016. So I have some data to suggest he could be that petty. Either way I see guys like that as a cancer in a locker room. For me he was addition through subtraction. It's not always just about skill. 

Anyway, interesting discussion. Probably time to move on. Neither are likely to change our thoughts on this.  So cheers! :cheers:

Hankins would have helped. But him specifically was not really my point. They had other options and chose to go with the Mcs. So to me it was not intended to be a stop gap. It just ended up that way. That's just me though. Who knows what they really thought. 

I suppose you're right about no one knowing. This whole idea for me was based on the Hughes signing only a couple weeks ago. He got released after the draft without so much as a practice.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think Hatcher was one of our better acquisitions from Dallas. Better than Bowen, etc. Maybe you were thinking of Bowen.

Hatcher may have only given us 2 years before he retired, but they were 2 good years of production, and pass pressure.

You're right.. Bowen is who I was thinking about..

Man, AJ Francis needs to grow up. He was a UDFA, he bounced around 4 teams before we even picked him up. We cut him in final cuts 2016 and he was still unemployed in November when we picked him back up. He should be grateful we called, because if we hadn't called then, he'd likely be selling used cars like Leonard Hankerson by now - we are the only reason he is still in football. It's just not a good look to be that salty. If he was as good as he seems to think then we wouldn't have cut him.

Agree he won't make final cuts with NYG (the second worst team in the entire league last season who were presumably the only ones who called him now).

In all fairness, AJ played well last year, with a PFF grade of 71.4. He showed promise and after years of not being able to stay on a roster the thought was that he had finally won a spot. Honestly I'm surprised he was let go instead of Hood. But that said, he's JUST a NT and Hood can be a DE as well, in fact he was drafted to be an elite DE. But if we hadn't addressed the NT position in the draft I was calling for AJ to be the starting NT instead of Hood and whoever else.

I'm glad to see that he caught on somewhere else.

Something in the air when players go to the NY Giants from here.  

Antonio Pierce held a grudge -- I get it from his stand point

Devin Thomas was snarky about the Redskins when he got there

Ditto K. Robinson

Now Francis

It's my mantra the week leading up to whenever we play the NY Giants but that team for me is right up there with Philly and Dallas as a hated rival.  Sometimes I notice they get a pass from some fans as the more benign of the three division rivals.   I don't agree with that.

The Giants to me are the most snarky team in the NFC East relating to the Redskins.  They do the most smack talk.  They feel entitled as if the Redskins should be their doormat every season.  Their players have cited any loss to the Redskins as being their worst loss of the season because the Redskins are the team they own and should beat.  Guys like R. Wynn who played for both teams admitted that the Giants have least respect for Redskins by far than any team in the NFC East. The Antre Rolle comments from years ago.  If you ever watch First Take, Max Kellerman loves to say that as a Giants fan he fears the Eagles and Dallas but never Washington.  On and on and on and on.

When ex-Redskins become Giants they all join in on the snarkiness real quick 

Archived