Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Ok, so I've been trying to figure this out and everything I found was vague.

I guess I don't understand the point of the rookie pool equation if the final number means nothing.

The final number absolutely means something. In this case it means that based on the positions and numbers of the Redskins draft picks (most importantly reasonably high picks in round 1 and round 2) we need to allocate about $6.5M to signing our rookies which is not therefore available for using to sign free agents.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Looks like lions going with Allen's theory 2DL are better than 1 stud DL.  Maybe we get Hankins now , open up Dan's wallet and make up for last years mistake. 

They have two very good young d-lineman under contract already.

Using the Eagles again as a model of comparison, this is the defensive front they trotted out last year, snap counts and percentage of total defensive snaps.

INTERIOR

Fletcher Cox -- 607  (58.93%)
Timmy Jernigan -- 493  (47.86%)
Beau Allen -- 423  (41.07%)
Destiny Vaeao -- 231 (22.43%)
Elijah Qualls -- 104  (10.10%)
Justin Hamilton -- 44  (4.27%)

EDGE

Brandon Graham -- 663  (64.37%)
Vinny Curry -- 576  (55.92%)
Chris Long -- 496  (48.16%)
Derek Barnett -- 424  (41.17%)
Steven Means -- 52  (5.15%)

It should be noted that, for how good the Eagles line was, Brandon Graham led the team with 9.5 sacks, then Cox with 5.5, then Long with 5.0, Barnett, 5.0, Curry 3.0, Jernigan, 2.5. They weren't a team that recorded a lot of sacks.

In constructing our competing line, a comparison by offseason's end might look something like this:

INTERIOR

Fletcher Cox -- Jonathan Allen
Timmy Jernigan -- Johnathan Hankins / Victor Vea / Da'ron Payne
Beau Allen -- Stacy McGee  (6'2, 333 vs 6'3, 341)
Destiny Vaeao -- Matt Ioannidis (6'4, 291 vs 6'3, 308)
Qualls / Hamilton flotsam -- McClain / Hood / Lanier flotsam

EDGE

Brandon Graham -- Ryan Kerrigan
Vinny Curry -- Preston Smith
Chris Long -- Pernell McPhee / other FA signing
Derek Barnett -- Ryan Anderson

Meanwhile, the Eagles lost 26 year old Beau Allen and 29 year old Vinny Curry and gained 34 year old Haloti Ngata and 32 year old Michael Bennett.

Obviously, Fletcher Cox is a defensive MVP caliber player, and he makes that line what it is. But I would argue that we have better edge starters, and Ioannidis and McGee make for stronger #3 and #4 interior linemen. Anthony Lanier recorded 5 sacks last year, which would've been tied for 3rd highest overall on the Eagles. He provides a compelling interior X factor on obvious passing downs.

Health will obviously be a crucial factor in the success of our front, as it is for any team's. The Eagles don't make the superbowl if Fletcher Cox goes down in week 5. And our line's performance would've looked a lot different if we got 600 healthy snaps from Allen instead of 159. Ioannidis looked like a genuine difference maker before he broke his hand.

We're missing a dominant run stuffer, the #2 interior lineman. And we're missing pass rushing depth. We need to sign someone like McPhee, whose signing I'm sure would be widely under appreciated. He would be our under-the-radar Chris Long signing.

Ryan Anderson is the big X-factor for me. He compares favorably with Terrell Suggs, both athletically and with a similar personality makeup. Both didn't show well at the combine -- Suggs (6'3, 262) ran a 4.8, only did 19 reps on the bench, and his 32" arms scared off teams -- while Anderson (6'2, 253) ran a 4.78, didn't do the bench, with 31.5" arms. But they're both relentless, high-motor, intensely passionate, disciplined players, considered to be alpha-dogs among alpha-dogs.

Maylock: "Ryan Anderson is an explosive edge rusher. ... He sets a physical edge. He converts speed to power better than any edge rusher in this draft. ... He's a leverage player. He gets underneath you and knocks your jock on the ground. I like him in the run game. I like his energy in the pass game and he's an all-day sucker. Really good football player."

By several accounts, Ryan Anderson is re-shaping his body this offseason. I think there's reason to be optimistic that he can take a Year 2 leap in a similar fashion as Fuller and Ioannidis did last year. Allen, too. If that happens and we add 2 key players -- and stay healthy -- our front could be among the better ones in the league.

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The final number absolutely means something. In this case it means that based on the positions and numbers of the Redskins draft picks (most importantly reasonably high picks in round 1 and round 2) we need to allocate about $6.5M to signing our rookies which is not therefore available for using to sign free agents.

I was using the equation to solve for the cap hit, I wasn't sure if that equation was for estimation purposes or a hard rule used to formulate the cap hit for rookies but Goskins10 cleared that up for me.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy I was looking at it like this.

Skins rookie pool = $6,523,881

So $6,523,881 (2018 Rookie pool) - ($480,000 X 7)(Number of draft picks this year)

So if you solve for that you get $3,163,881 and I thought that was the cap hit.

I was wrong, my bad.

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Based on recent play and the tread on his tires Murray would be grossly overpaid at 3.5 million and I doubt he could beat Perine out in training camp.  I get the desire to have the position fixed now but no point in throwing money at guys who are no better than the current roster and there is nobody out there in this FA class.

I’m confused. He ran the rock 180 times for about 700 yards and had six TDs. I’m not saying he’s great or anything but the takes if him being on Matt Jones level of sucking lol.

The bigger point im trying to make is that it doesn’t have to be Murray, I threw out another cheap name. The bottom line point is with Chris Thompson here no one should think that they should draft a RB high. They is gonna be a wasted pick.

Why? Because unless they are going to stop using CT then that next RB is joining a committee. Why draft a guy your going to give less then 15 carries a game to in the first or second round? Wouldn’t that usage limit how much you want to invest into the position? It does me. They need a committee compliment RB. We aren’t looking for a bellcow if the plan is to keep using CT. You don’t draft those in the first two rounds

Well, if there was any question that Hankins requests were not reasonable or in the ballpark... I think Detroit just answered them. Bruce Allen is still a cheap sonofagun, but Hankins asking price seems to make a lot of GMs gun shy.

13 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Just so you don't think I'm crazy I was looking at it like this.

Skins rookie pool = $6,523,881

So $6,523,881 (2018 Rookie pool) - ($480,000 X 7)(Number of draft picks this year)

So if you solve for that you get $3,163,881 and I thought that was the cap hit.

I was wrong, my bad.

I think you're right. (Maybe also crazy.) We do need to spend $6.5 million on rookies. But those signings bumps the 7 lowest-paid players off the bottom of our salary cap, at 480K apiece, so the marginal extra cost of signing the rookies (as opposed to the minimum salary players they replace on the salary cap) is $3.2 million, rather than what we'll actually spend on rookies, which is $6.5 million.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Well, if there was any question that Hankins requests were not reasonable or in the ballpark... I think Detroit just answered them. Bruce Allen is still a cheap sonofagun, but Hankins asking price seems to make a lot of GMs gun shy.

Tomsula needs to get on the phone and sell the DL and D to Hankins.  He can do it.  He probably has already tried but give it the 1 then 2 punch!

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

A+ if Skins sign Hankins.  F if they don't.

You have to fill some holes before the draft and The middle of the defense is the biggest need.  Not a F because of the draft and another chance to fill that need. But it takes a way the chance of a impact player dropping to us or trying to fill a couple other holes with 1 pick, Left Guard or Runningback.

6 minutes ago, Romberjo said:

I think you're right. (Maybe also crazy.) We do need to spend $6.5 million on rookies. But those signings bumps the 7 lowest-paid players off the bottom of our salary cap, at 480K apiece, so the marginal extra cost of signing the rookies (as opposed to the minimum salary players they replace on the salary cap) is $3.2 million, rather than what we'll actually spend on rookies, which is $6.5 million.

So we were both right but in the end the net is going to be more like $3.2M - so I stand corrected on that count. Unlike some I can admit when I am wrong. 

So fair enough @JSSkinz 

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

You have to fill some holes before the draft and The middle of the defense is the biggest need.  Not a F because of the draft and another chance to fill that need. But it takes a way the chance of a impact player dropping to us or trying to fill a couple other holes with 1 pick, Left Guard or Runningback.

I'd like for us to trade out of the 1st round with AZ or Pitt (or a team in desperate need of a QB as Jackson or possibly another one of the other blue chippers MIGHT still be there and add more ammo to our draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  This draft is deep at CB, Interior DL as well as other positions we need, if we signed Hankins which would be like drafting a 1st or 2nd rounder.

10 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Maclin at WR, Boone at LG, they would be on my list as decent vets if available on low contracts.

I'm not understanding the want  for another receiver here. Alex Smith's history even shows he doesn't favor the WR position much, and rarely hits his 4th guy. Doctson, Richardson, Crowder are the only one's getting looks there with a big portion of his throws going to TE's and HB's. Kansas City's offense featured really small hybrid receivers running short routes. Money is on Crowder, Reed, and Thompson to get the bulk of the work.

27 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

By several accounts, Ryan Anderson is re-shaping his body this offseason. I think there's reason to be optimistic that he can take a Year 2 leap in a similar fashion as Fuller and Ioannidis did last year. Allen, too. If that happens and we add 2 key players -- and stay healthy -- our front could be among the better ones in the league.

This is something I wonder about with both Anderson and Perine. If both slimmed down some, how much speed could they gain? Gruden spoke about Anderson slimming down but not Perine. I'm not saying he is the answer but i know we asked Murphy to bulk up then slim form before his big year and I'm wondering if we will do similar things with other players. 

One of the problems I have with the simple "draft a rb" philosophy is that it still becomes a single point of failure. I would love somebody like who is a combination of Thompson and Perineum terms of speed, pass catching, pass blocking, yards after contact, etc. But we have Marshall who is all those things and injury prone as all get out, so it doesn't matter. Can one of Kelley or Perine be a 210 - 215 pound back and become faster?

And how much will Smith affect our running? People  were raving about Perine last off-season but then he was not as good as expected. Well Smith and the read option and just having to be aware of his running impact those 3rd and 1 plays? 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd like for us to trade out of the 1st round with AZ or Pitt (or a team in desperate need of a QB as Jackson or possibly another one of the other blue chippers MIGHT still be there and add more ammo to our draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  This draft is deep at CB, Interior DL as well as other positions we need.

So would I, but it takes 2 to tangle as the say.  If we some how sign Hankins , I would love a trade down recoup the 3rd. I think OL is next RB then CB.  If we don't sign Hankins I am all for a trade down also.

43 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Looks like lions going with Allen's theory 2DL are better than 1 stud DL.  Maybe we get Hankins now , open up Dan's wallet and make up for last years mistake. 

Hope not.  Not interested in any more players/agents trying to make a point.  I want players that want to be here and aren't trying to break the bank.

Archived