Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Dude, it’s a great sign when other teams are signing your backups at starter pay (Trent Murphy/Ryan Grant). That’s how you obtain compensatory picks.  

That wasn't my point, there have been countless posts after the couple signings we had that 'well, there goes another comp'. Silly, many were made after Scandrick signing. 

9 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

A team really shouldn't be obtaining comp picks year in and year out. It's more of a sign you aren't resigning quality guys and thats a problem. This happens to be a good (and bad because we're losing this talent) year for us. But its not like thats how you build championships. The Comp pick pool should circulate through various teams through the years. Further, its pretty well documented that NE really hasn't nailed their draft picks in these spots

Actually, good team should probably be gaining comp picks every year. If you draft well, simple economics tells you that you can't re-sign everyone. Look at the Redskins. The team doesn't have a ton of cap and saw Long ($7 million), Murphy ($7 million), Cousins ($28 million), and Paul (a couple million). Look at th original contracts for Grant and Breeland (over $15 million combined before voiding) and then possibly Pryor and Galette. That's a ton of money. No team can sustain paying players like that each year.

The idea is to re-sign the real difference makers and draft replacements for the others. And if you keep drafting well, you'll keeping losing players via free agency. Cause you won't have the money to sign them all. And you'll net more draft picks to pick players from. Which you develop and hope enough pan out. And the cycle continues

6 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

That wasn't my point, there have been countless posts after the couple signings we had that 'well, there goes another comp'. Silly, many were made after Scandrick signing. 

considering how against Scandrick people were even if mistaken it makes some sense.  But honestly the idea you should be getting comp picks every year seems wrong.  Because ever year contracts expire and every year you'll be bringing in new people anyway.  So why not accept some will be leaving and get what you can?

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Actually, good team should probably be gaining comp picks every year. If you draft well, simple economics tells you that you can't re-sign everyone. Look at the Redskins. The team doesn't have a ton of cap and saw Long ($7 million), Murphy ($7 million), Cousins ($28 million), and Paul (a couple million). Look at th original contracts for Grant and Breeland (over $15 million combined before voiding) and then possibly Pryor and Galette. That's a ton of money. No team can sustain paying players like that each year.

The idea is to re-sign the real difference makers and draft replacements for the others. And if you keep drafting well, you'll keeping losing players via free agency. Cause you won't have the money to sign them all. And you'll net more draft picks to pick players from. Which you develop and hope enough pan out. And the cycle continues

But that doesn't happen every year because of the variability of draft and needs of that team in FA themselves that year. Teams can't project 4 years down the road that this pick is gonna be a prime comp candidate. It happens, but theres a lot of variability involved and rarely will be a yearly phenomena for teams.

I want as many draft picks as possible. Just isn't my focus right now. I hope we do great and anticipate Pryor and even Gallete signing. But right now get me Suh or Hankins. I'll worry bout next years house money later

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Saved $2m, but taking a $15m cap hit with the trade. Frees up the cap going forward in 2019 though.

Thats not correct. Tampa takes over his contract. Only 5 million was prorated. It saves the Giants 12.5 million in cap space.

14 minutes ago, -JB- said:

6a00d83451af1569e201538fb45eb6970b-pi

Below is the breakdown of Garcon’s deal.
2017 cap hit: $6.425 million

Base Salary: $3.625 million
Prorated Signing Bonus: $2.4 million
Per Game Roster Bonus: $250,000
Workout Bonus: $100,000

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

But that doesn't happen every year because of the variability of draft. Teams can't project 4 years down the road that this pick is gonna be a prime comp candidate. It happens, but theres a lot of variability involved and rarely will be a yearly phenomena for teams.

I want as many draft picks as possible. Just isn't my focus right now. I hope we do great and anticipate Pryor and even Gallete signing. But right now get me Suh or Hankins. I'll worry bout next years house money later

You have to trust the process.  You can’t be out there in free agency slinging contracts to every single FA.  No thanks to Suh.  That last sentence of your post scares me.  That’s Damn Snyders MO since he got here.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Weird, saw a tweet stating differently, but that makes sense.

You are right.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats not correct. Tampa takes over his contract. Only 5 million was prorated. It saves the Giants 12.5 million in cap space.

You are wrong.

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

6a00d83451af1569e201538fb45eb6970b-pi

Below is the breakdown of Garcon’s deal.
2017 cap hit: $6.425 million

Base Salary: $3.625 million
Prorated Signing Bonus: $2.4 million
Per Game Roster Bonus: $250,000
Workout Bonus: $100,000

Dude, I meant that the Redskins weren’t gonna give him a contract that was gonna pay him 16 million in the first year.  You know what the hell I was saying lol

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You have to trust the process.  You can’t be out there in free agency slinging contracts to every single FA.  No thanks to Suh.  That last sentence of your post scares me.  That’s Damn Snyders MO since he got here.

I don't even think the Redskins have had more than 1-2 comp picks since Snyder's been here, so not sure how thats 'scary'. The house money is referring to the comp picks we are getting this year for NEXT YEARS draft (a rarity in the Snyder era). But, that is next year and we can't control that for the most part (Meaning we can't control the contracts these players will sign). 

The process is to build a winner. We need to get better at stopping the run and there is a blue chipper out there (with a motor, guy can run marathons literally) and a top 5 NT. The cap can be manipulated to sign either and we have some early draft picks. That's the process I trust. Can't let past mistakes effect decisions in the present.Hankins and Suh are high value targets

3 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

You are right.

You are wrong.

I could be. Wouldnt be the first time. But please explain. Tampa takes over the prorated roster bonuses starting next league year correct? 

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Total   $37,000,000 $20,000,000 $4,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $61,750,000
2017 28 $1,250,000 $1,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $7,250,000 4.3%      
2018 29 $11,250,000 $7,750,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $17,500,000 9.9%  
$22,750,000
($5,250,000)
2019 30 $13,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $19,500,000 10.3%  
$10,000,000
$9,500,000
2020 31 $11,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $17,500,000 8.8%  
$5,000,000
$12,500,000

Edit: Nevermind. I apologize I WAS wrong. Here are the cap numbers with a pre June 1 trade. My fault:

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Total   $37,000,000 $20,000,000 $4,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $61,750,000
2017 28 $1,250,000 $1,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $7,250,000 4.3%      
2018 29 $11,250,000 $7,750,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $17,500,000 9.9%  
$15,000,000
$2,500,000
2019 30 $13,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $19,500,000 10.3%  
$10,000,000
$9,500,000
2020 31 $11,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,000,000 $250,000 $0 $17,500,000 8.8%  
$5,000,000
$12,500,000

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

I don't even think the Redskins have hade more than 1-2 comp picks since Snyder's been here, so not sure how thats 'scary'. The house money is referring to the comp picks we are getting this year (a rarity in the Snyder era). But, that is next year and we can't control that for the most part (Meaning we can't control the contracts these players will sign). 

The process is to build a winner. We need to get better at stopping the run and there is a blue chipper out there (with a motor, guy can run marathons literally) and a top 5 NT. The cap can be manipulated to sign either and we have some early draft picks. That's the process I trust. Can't let past mistakes effect decisions in the present.Hankins and Suh are high value targets

I think that your strategy is wrong.  It has been the strategy of the Redskins front office since Dan Snyder took over.  It does not work.  

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Both of these quotes are distressing.

I also question just how good Niles Paul and Ryan Grant were at special teams. Our teams have been mostly terrible for their entire tenure. Now, maybe they were great and everyone else sucked, but really how wonderful could they have been given what we've seen on Kotwica's teams.

As for starters or vets rejecting ST duty that's just ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I think that your strategy is wrong.  It has been the strategy of the Redskins front office since Dan Snyder took over.  It does not work.  

Sounds like those fans that like to cite the Hayneswrth or Deion signings. Forgetting that the past 5 years we were far from aggressive in FA.

It hasn't been the 'strategy of Snyder' every year to sign the biggest FA. Fact is, our cap has been managed as good as any teams, if not some of the best in the league. But, you have to focus on now and the need for the team. Can't be scared to sign a big FA if its the right move just because we made mistakes in the past. 

44 minutes ago, Jericho said:

No wonder we've been so good over the past 5 years.....Great job, Bruce.

Archived