Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

He's taking a couple of days off for that last one. We can all move on. Back to FA, please. :) 

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm sorry, I was only trying to help.  I didn't mean to derail the discussion.  :(

Hey everybody!  The basement Buc's traded for an old, one handed defensive lineman :rofl89:

4 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm sorry, I was only trying to help.  I didn't mean to derail the discussion.  :(

That's ok, but just for future reference, it is preferable that you use the "Report post" function (top right of any given post) if you take any issue with something a poster is doing. We always see that (we get it emailed directly to our personal emails), so you'll know, whether something comes out of it or not, if we deemed it as violation or not. 

You can always PM that poster, as well, if you'd just rather hash it out between yourselves. It's generally best to avoid derailing as much as possible. :) 

And, with that, let's make this the last post on the topic. You can PM me if you have any further questions or concerns. :) 

54 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

No wonder we've been so good over the past 5 years.....Great job, Bruce.

You obviously need to let is play out to work. Which means consistently drafting and developing players. The team re-signed Moses and let the rest walk from the 2014 class. But it will net the team a bunch of picks in the 2019 draft. It took 4 years from a good draft to even start getting comp picks and then another year to start using them. But if you do it consistently over time, it will add up.

And to be clear, the strategy isn't to just let people walk. The strategy is to figure out who you can afford to keep and who warrants an extension. Identify those players and replace the ones you can't afford. And if you have money, the idea isn't to ignore needs in free agency for the sake of comp picks. But the idea is to develop enough of your own players that you don't need and/or have money for big ticket free agents.

One also has to realize how much turnover there is in the NFL. Even the Patriots can turnover up to 90% of their roster in a 4-5 year period

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

You obviously need to let is play out to work. Which means consistently drafting and developing players. The team re-signed Moses and let the rest walk from the 2014 class. But it will net the team a bunch of picks in the 2019 draft. It took 4 years from a good draft to even start getting comp picks and then another year to start using them. But if you do it consistently over time, it will add up.

And to be clear, the strategy isn't to just let people walk. The strategy is to figure out who you can afford to keep and who warrants an extension. Identify those players and replace the ones you can't afford. And if you have money, the idea isn't to ignore needs in free agency for the sake of comp picks. But the idea is to develop enough of your own players that you don't need and/or have money for big ticket free agents.

One also has to realize how much turnover there is in the NFL. Even the Patriots can turnover up to 90% of their roster in a 4-5 year period

I like this.  Keep our grown at home players as much as we can.  Let the ones who don't warrant a long term deal walk.  We then fill our roster with our original and draft picks.  By staying with that strategy, you'll end up building a roster full of young talent on rookie deals.  That gives depth and versatility.  Once the team is in striking distance, make a splash and sign those few guys that will put your team over the top.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All that sounds nice and all, but I mean - how long has Bruce been employing this strategy, does it take a decade + to come to fruition? :ols:

We haven't had double digit wins in a while, but you have to admit, for our team to go 7-9 with the amount of injuries we had is impressive.  That tells me that we are not that far off.  We went toe to toe with a lot of good teams last year and even won a few of those (Rams, Seahawks).  If we were healthy, I bet a lot of those close losses (Saints) would have been wins.

Edit: forgot to quote his post

Just now, hatchetwound said:

We haven't had double digit wins in a while, but you have to admit, for our team to go 7-9 with the amount of injuries we had is impressive.  That tells me that we are not that far off.  We went toe to toe with a lot of good teams last year and even won a few of those (Rams, Seahawks).  If we were healthy, I bet a lot of those close losses (Saints) would have been wins.

Final answer... This season will pan out one of two ways.... history will repeat itself and we will be pissing into the wind and end up with three to five wins or what I strongly believe is going to happen our offensive line holds up and we have 11 + wins. I think we have the talent to win 11 + games.

29 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

So with the Giants moving the best rusher they had, where are they going to go in the draft? Move down or pass rusher at #2?

I am so tickled pink he is out of our division.

2 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Final answer... This season will pan out one of two ways.... history will repeat itself and we will be pissing into the wind and end up with three to five wins or what I strongly believe is going to happen our offensive line holds up and we have 11 + wins. I think we have the talent to win 11 + games.

That would be great!

And Alex Smith's mobility and pocket presence should only help the line out further.  I'm really getting excited for the season!  The draft can't come soon enough!

55 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

So with the Giants moving the best rusher they had, where are they going to go in the draft? Move down or pass rusher at #2?

Move down and take a pass rusher. They might not move that far back...

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All that sounds nice and all, but I mean - how long has Bruce been employing this strategy, does it take a decade + to come to fruition? :ols:

To be fair we havent exactly been a trainwreck record wise the past 3 seasons. The team has talent on the roster. Now that doesnt mean will ever win it all with Bruce in charge. 

37 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

I am so tickled pink he is out of our division.

We do not have the talent to win 11+ games.  We do not have a stud defense to help keep us in games.  We have no running game.  We have a new WR coming in along with a new QB, both should do fine, but Doctson is the new 50/50 until proven otherwise.  We have a TE that was made out of glass with a really good vet back-up in VD, but is aging and while he put up decent numbers, his catch percentage went down almost 13% last year from the previous season.

We have yet to address a NT in this fantastic base 3-4 defense they have been building since 2010.  Our DL is average, even without injuries, imo.  Our linebackers are average with the exception of Kerrigan, imo.  And we now let Breeland walk and traded Fuller.  We addressed that with Orlando, which I'm fine with bringing him in, but he's average.  Norman is great when healthy, DJ is fine.  

Nothing we have done thus far in FA indicates that this team is still nothing more than a 7-9 win team, with 9 coming with a couple of breaks (like the losses to Detroit and NO last minutes due to implosion by the defense - we hold, we are a 9 win team instead of 7).  We are who we thought we are........

57 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I like this.  Keep our grown at home players as much as we can.  Let the ones who don't warrant a long term deal walk.  We then fill our roster with our original and draft picks.  By staying with that strategy, you'll end up building a roster full of young talent on rookie deals.  That gives depth and versatility.  Once the team is in striking distance, make a splash and sign those few guys that will put your team over the top.

Except we haven't done that at all.  Not even a little bit.

1. 1)  Cousins
  2. 2)  Paul
  3. 3)  Breeland
  4. 4)  Long
  5. 5)  Fuller
  6. 6)  Grant

That's just off the top of my head and just this year.  We trade Fuller, literally the top slot corner in the league in his second year, and a third for a QB.  Granted Smith is good, but that's not letting your players grow for the future.

Paul, as far as I know, wasn't asking for Reed-type money.  Excellent on teams, excellent in the locker room.

Bree's a bit of a nut, but he didn't sign an unreasonable contract.  Pair that with Fuller and it's worse.

Cousins has been talked about enough, but another draft pick gone.

What you wrote is what good teams do.  We're not one of those teams.

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Except we haven't done that at all.  Not even a little bit.

1. 1)  Cousins
  2. 2)  Paul
  3. 3)  Breeland
  4. 4)  Long
  5. 5)  Fuller
  6. 6)  Grant

That's just off the top of my head and just this year.  We trade Fuller, literally the top slot corner in the league in his second year, and a third for a QB.  Granted Smith is good, but that's not letting your players grow for the future.

Paul, as far as I know, wasn't asking for Reed-type money.  Excellent on teams, excellent in the locker room.

Bree's a bit of a nut, but he didn't sign an unreasonable contract.  Pair that with Fuller and it's worse.

Cousins has been talked about enough, but another draft pick gone.

What you wrote is what good teams do.  We're not one of those teams.

There are counter arguments for each of those guys though:

1) Cousins wasnt signing here. And he came up with his 3 year fully guaranteed contract idea YEARS ago.

2) Paul. I agree great special teamer. But FOURTH on our depth chart.

3) Long just signed a monster contract. We like what we have in a young center. And Long isnt really a guard.He was signed as a Center plus hes coming off of surgery

4) Breeland stunk. He was burned constantly. I really dont get the love for the guy.

5) Fuller. HUGE loss. But please see number 1 as to why he was dealt.

6) Grant. Probably the one I am most surprised we didnt keep. But it appeared he was signing a contract similar to Richardsons before he got screwed.

Archived