Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

All this comp pick stuff has to stop IMO. 

Look, we're getting a 3rd for Kurt. After that we're looking at a 5th and 6th rounders at best. In the words of Derrick Coleman, Whopdedamndo. 

Don't get me wrong, more picks are great. But it shouldn't stop us from signing quality guys. Stop with the tea totaling. Bottom line is regardless if we make 1-2 more signings we're ending up with a 3rd and a couple 6th rounders. 

No team is 'one 6th round pick away from a championship', or even a late 5th for that matter. At least they shouldn't be waiting on bated breath about getting it

it's unlikely we'd end up with another third but the right deals can push the fifth or sixth or seventh off the board and get us a fourth or two.  Also these picks are now tradeable so they give us more ammunition in the rounds you do value

8 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Look, we're getting a 3rd for Kurt. After that we're looking at a 5th and 6th rounders at best. In the words of Derrick Coleman, Whopdedamndo. 

Don't get me wrong, more picks are great. But it shouldn't stop us from signing quality guys. Stop with the tea totaling. Bottom line is regardless if we make 1-2 more signings we're ending up with a 3rd and a couple 6th rounders. 

No team is 'one 6th round pick away from a championship', or even a late 5th for that matter. At least they shouldn't be waiting on bated breath about getting it

Who says it's stopping us? I haven't seen anything about the FO not signing a free agent due to the comp picking being on the line. 

I just got an alert that there was a "blockbuster trade" involving the Giants...

Seems like a lot of the defensive players still on the market are asking for more money than any team wants to pay them, so they'll end up getting signed by whoever offers the best incentives or extra peanuts to their offer. Obviously no team is blowing them away with their offers.

Just now, MEANDWARF said:

Another blockbuster trade: Giants trading DE Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.

Don't know if this is true!!!

I wouldn't call it a "blockbuster" like the media portrays it, but I'm happy to see him leave the NFCE... 

10 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I think you're minimizing the impact of having substantial extra picks in the draft, though .... yes, I'll agree that one 6th (or late 5th) round pick is not going to make the difference between paloffs and another year picking in the top 12, BUT having extra 5's and 6's is how good teams move up and get late 3rd / early 4th round picks when trading with the teams that have given away picks (much like WE gave away this year's 3rd in the Alex deal)...

They shouldn't let comp picks be the overriding factor in deciding which players to sign, but as several others here have posted, if you have a choice between two similarly ranked players, and one may cost you a comp pick, logic and good decision-making would dictate taking a harder look at the player who wouldn't.

1 minute ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I think you're minimizing the impact of having substantial extra picks in the draft, though .... yes, I'll agree that one 6th (or late 5th) round pick is not going to make the difference between paloffs and another year picking in the top 12, BUT having extra 5's and 6's is how good teams move up and get late 3rd / early 4th round picks when trading with the teams that have given away picks (much like WE gave away this year's 3rd in the Alex deal)...

They shouldn't let comp picks be the overriding factor in deciding which players to sign, but as several others here have posted, if you have a choice between two similarly ranked players, and one may cost you a comp pick, logic and good decision-making would dictate taking a harder look at the player who wouldn't.

Not devaluing them, just seems like to many people are anchoring on them and has become slightly annoying to me. That's all. 

I hope we max out at 4, but the laser focus needs to be on imprint this team now with available talent out there. Frankly, I love Suh and he's available. Hankins is gonna be expensive to so IMO Suh is a viable target Look, Suh doesn't miss snaps and he's nasty. I get he's older and the team is going away from that. But contracts and cap limits change year to year. We're in a good spot and he's as much a blue chipper as you can get.

Not that I want Suh, but point is, we can make this team much better today with Hankins or Suh. 

5 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

@ct skinsI think this is the rumour that has been floating around forever about the Bills wanting to move up to No.2 for their QB of choice - and they are doing the Eagles slow climb up the order to get there 

I was referring to the actual trade that just happened... But yea, I've seen that rumor also and for the sake of conversation, I'd gladly see the Giants move out of the #2 spot.

16 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I totally disagree.  If year in year out you are obtaining compensatory picks, your chances of obtaining quality young & cheap players skyrockets.  Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Ravens, etc. continually have these extra picks.  It’s the way winning organizations operate.  Nobody says that these organizations don’t sign free agents.  They do.  They just show restraint.  

6 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I wouldn't call it a "blockbuster" like the media portrays it, but I'm happy to see him leave the NFCE... 

lol, I wouldn't either, I copy and paste.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, I guess we know who's drafting Chubb now.

In Eli they trust!

11 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Another blockbuster trade: Giants trading DE Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick, source tells ESPN.

NFL Network now reporting it as well. I am so glad JPP is out of the division!

Just now, -JB- said:

I totally disagree.  If year in year out you are obtaining compensatory picks, your chances of obtaining quality young & cheap players skyrockets.  Teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Ravens, etc. continually have these extra picks.  It’s the way winning organizations operate.  Nobody says that these organizations don’t sign free agents.  They do.  They just show restraint.  

A team really shouldn't be obtaining comp picks year in and year out. It's more of a sign you aren't resigning quality guys and thats a problem. This happens to be a good (and bad because we're losing this talent) year for us. But its not like thats how you build championships. The Comp pick pool should circulate through various teams through the years. Further, its pretty well documented that NE really hasn't nailed their draft picks in these spots

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

Not devaluing them, just seems like to many people are anchoring on them and has become slightly annoying to me. That's all. 

I hope we max out at 4, but the laser focus needs to be on imprint this team now with available talent out there. Frankly, I love Suh and he's available. Hankins is gonna be expensive to so IMO Suh is a viable target Look, Suh doesn't miss snaps and he's nasty. I get he's older and the team is going away from that. But contracts and cap limits change year to year. We're in a good spot and he's as much a blue chipper as you can get.

Not that I want Suh, but point is, we can make this team much better today with Hankins or Suh. 

Hankins and Suh were cuts, so they wouldn't effect comp picks. Win-win.

13 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

A team really shouldn't be obtaining comp picks year in and year out. It's more of a sign you aren't resigning quality guys and thats a problem. This happens to be a good (and bad because we're losing this talent) year for us. But its not like thats how you build championships. The Comp pick pool should circulate through various teams through the years. Further, its pretty well documented that NE really hasn't nailed their draft picks in these spots

Not trying to be a jerk, but re-signing players doesn't affect your comp picks.  Great teams know how to work the comp pick system to their advantage.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you meant.  I still disagree though.

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Dude, it’s a great sign when other teams are signing your backups at starter pay (Trent Murphy/Ryan Grant). That’s how you obtain compensatory picks.  

Just now, MEANDWARF said:

Hi all. Just thinking that the Giants must be near the cap limit and they go and unload a expensive D lineman who did not produce last year like he did in the past. Smart.

Archived