Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Do we know the actual cap hit for Scandrick yet?. And what cap space have we got left after you take out the $8m or so for draft picks and in season cover?. 

HTTR 

No and its kind of irritating ---  LOL  I wish they would tell us so I could decide if I am pissed or not....

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was saying :

Kirk succeeds in this offense.

So, insert Smith into basically the same offense (plus Richardson).

How could someone of Smith's talent not succeed in the same offense ?

It may sound oversimplifying, but it really is simple - the offenses ('17 Skins & '18 Skins) and the QB's are so close to being similar.

It then becomes irrelevant what Smith had in KC, or to compare KC's offense to WAS offense.

I think Smith will be fine this year but a part of me is concerned that he was an Andy Reid product and won't continue at the same level.  But the discussion here is the argument that Smith had better weapons but Kirk, with inferior help, put up similar numbers.  So you switch Kirk with Smith and it's not automatic that Alex will perform the same as Kirk did.  But we may never know, I assume they will have an upgrade at RB and better health.  That's almost certain.  But Richardson alone won't make that much of a difference to get the O to the KC level.  

13 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

You're forgetting drafting Jonathan Allen in the 1st last year and Matt Ionnidis in the 5th the year before.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jonathan-allen?id=2557844

Allen was an DE. And no I'm not forgetting anything. And I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks that it's okay to rank

32nd in rushing yards allowed per game in 2017 - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

24th in 2016 - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game?date=2017-02-06

26th in 2015 - https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game?date=2016-02-08

And wants to excuse them not fixing this. Your opinion is fine. I don't agree with it at all.

This has to be fixed. Bottom line, no excuses. It has to be fixed and I hope with all my fiber and being that if Bruce Allen once again doesn't address this that he gets fired as soon as another team wrecks the season because the last impression of the rushing Defense was Orleans Darkwa rushing for over 150 ending the season. 

https://www.change.org/p/redskins-need-to-fire-bruce-allen

ZnptyCnG_400x400.jpg

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

No and its kind of irritating ---  LOL  I wish they would tell us so I could decide if I am pissed or not....

No kidding right, just release it already

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I think Smith will be fine this year but a part of me is concerned that he was an Andy Reid product and won't continue at the same level.  But the discussion here is the argument that Smith had better weapons but Kirk, with inferior help, put up similar numbers.  So you switch Kirk with Smith and it's not automatic that Alex will perform the same as Kirk did.  But we may never know, I assume they will have an upgrade at RB and better health.  That's almost certain.  But Richardson alone won't make that much of a difference to get the O to the KC level.  

Alex took over a 2 win Chiefs team in 2013 and went to the playoffs. He also hasn't had a losing record in the past 8 seasons. Last year wasn't a fluke. We are in good hands with Smith

Take the roster we currently have -- assume everyone's healthy.  Add 1 each from:  A) Payne or Vea; B ) any RB demonstrably better than anyone on our roster; C) a LG better than anyone on our roster; and D) 4 developmental projects.  Are the Skins a better team in 2018 if health holds up?  Yes.  So spend wisely in FA. 

The biggest issues on the team going into the season were by all accounts were

DL 

RB

Aint nothing but some lip service been given to either so far. No signings, no one brought in, nothing.

I'm not getting into arguments with people who want to defend this, you can have your opinion but I won't agree with it.

Time for Bruce to prove he is anything other than a joke of a GM and this is coming from the guy who's been called compandweave because I have given him some credit so far and the guy who wanted Alex Smith as the QB replacement before anyone else on the forum. But enough is enough. This team has 20 million now. They need to use it. 

Demarco Murray

Willie Snead

Jonathan Hankins

Junior G. 

They could sign all these dudes and still have money left over and get comp picks. Address the damn needs. If your going for win now mode then go fully into that. Stop playing in the middle. Stop taking all these hungry chumps out dinner and sign someone to a damn contract. These dudes want news headlines. Stop being patsies and feed them once you get ink on paper. 

2 hours ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Hankins / Poston are probably holding out for a contract similar to the one Timmy Jernigan got in November, 4 years, $48 million with $26 million guaranteed.

That deal is a lot of smoke and mirrors. This year his cap number is $5M. It jumps up to $13M in 2019, but the team gets $7M in cap space if they cut/trade him. Here's the full breakdown per overthecap.com: 

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Total   $39,017,669 $10,376,891 $0 $0 $0 $49,394,560    
2017 25 $1,017,669 $478,903 $2,376,891 $0 $0 $0 $3,394,560 2.0%      
2018 26 $3,000,000 $3,000,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $5,000,000 2.8%  
$11,000,000
($6,000,000)
2019 27 $11,000,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $13,000,000 6.8%  
$6,000,000
$7,000,000
2020 28 $12,000,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $14,000,000 7.0%  
$4,000,000
$10,000,000
2021 29 $12,000,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $14,000,000 --  
$2,000,000
$12,000,000

Essentially it sounded like a big deal, but he's got to play lights out to be around the following season.

At this stage, I want McPhee and Hankins. Get the money upped Bruce.

Next year we have provisional maximum number of comp picks in rounds 3,5,6,and 7. Hopefully someone takes a flyer on Galette, Pryor, or even Breeland, when fit, on medium value short term deals. Would be great to increase the value of those comp picks to say 3,5,5,6. Either way, four picks is good going.

Breeland, well if he doesn't get interest, maybe we consider bringing him back, however once fit I suspect he still gets paid by someone.

Other cheap FA considerations, Boone and Su'a-Filo for LG competition with a drafted rookie, and perhaps Maclin at WR depending on draft strategy at receiver.

So basically we gone from Overspending in FA on 30+ Year Olds to just being outright cheap in FA.... even if they are young and a need.

You are only fooling yourselves if you think FA can never be used to help build the roster.... successfully. Good teams use both the draft and FA and both come down getting the right players.

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

DL 

RB

Aint nothing but some lip service been given to either so far. No signings, no one brought in, nothing.

I'm not getting into arguments with people who want to defend this, you can have your opinion but I won't agree with it.

Time for Bruce to prove he is anything other than a joke of a GM and this is coming from the guy who's been called compandweave because I have given him some credit so far and the guy who wanted Alex Smith as the QB replacement before anyone else on the forum. But enough is enough. This team has 20 million now. They need to use it. 

Demarco Murray

Willie Snead

Jonathan Hankins

Junior G. 

They could sign all these dudes and still have money left over and get comp picks. Address the damn needs. If your going for win now mode then go fully into that. Stop playing in the middle. Stop taking all these hungry chumps out dinner and sign someone to a damn contract. These dudes want news headlines. Stop being patsies and feed them once you get ink on paper. 

You can disagree but some of what you have is wrong. First, what is right - needs are accurate. Need a RB and a NT to be specific. They have not brought in any RBs that I know of. But realistically this really should be handled in the draft. The shelf life of RBs is too short. They keep trying but have not hit on a guy yet. But I would not spend money on a RB unless I had a whole lot of CAP.

What's wrong - I really like overthecap.com as a resource but this time of year they are typically behind. So that $20M they are showing is not accurate. Based on estimates I have seen, when you take out the $6M for the draft they have about 6 to 8M left depending on what the Scandrick contract actually is. That is a lotg different than $20M.

Also, while I agree they have not signed anyone - not sure how you can say they have not brought anyone in. They brought Hankins, Sullivan, Muhammad Wilkerson and Benson Mayowa in. Hankins did not sign last year until April. So just like waiting for the Scandrick contract details to come out before getting pissed, I also plan to wait to see what Hankins does and what is asking price is. Also, I believe all but Sullivan are still out there. So until it's over it's not over.

Free agency is getting much different than before. It used to be without the 2 day legal tampering that teams would sign guys quickly for fear of them signing elsewhere. Players would sign quickly for fear FA money would dry up. I believe the 2 day legal tampering has led both sides to become more patient. Look how much longer top level FAs are going unsigned. We are all used to the old days when all the good FAs were signed in the first 72 hrs. So it makes us all impatient - well that and being fans.

Also, I think you were a bit harsh on @SkinsTillIDie I did not see anywhere that they were OK with the defensive performance last year. They were making the valid point that while it has not worked out and is not what many of us might do - and yes that is sad on so many levels - they did attempt to address the DL. They have drafted several players including the 1st rd pick last year and signed several FAs.

I realize the result is the same but it's not like they have just ignored it. Their approach has not worked. There is a difference. As I said somewhere else - they are treating the position as a nice to have but not critical position where to most it's a must have high talent at a critical position. 

I do agree they need to address it but I am willing to wait to see how it actually turns out.

46 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Alex took over a 2 win Chiefs team in 2013 and went to the playoffs. He also hasn't had a losing record in the past 8 seasons. Last year wasn't a fluke. We are in good hands with Smith

The same can be said about Andy Reid.

As I said I think Smith will be fine but there is still a part of me that thinks once away from Andy Reid and those weapons he may not be the same player.  Just sayin'

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Sure, you do.  You let them leave the building if they are demanding to make the kind of money that you don’t want to spend.  When you act out of desperation you get hosed, man.  

But do we even know that offer on the table is?  Allen is notorious for low balling as we know and Hankins agent is notorious for over inflating perceived value of the players he represents.    I think you have to pay this guy upwards of 8 to 8.5 per to get him.   

36 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

DL 

RB

No one brought in? We've brought in Hankins and Sylvester Williams just this week both of whom are potential 1 and 3 tech run stoppers. No signings yet for sure but you cant argue they are not at least aware of the issues and trying to do something about it. Of course they don't give out Lombardi trophies for trying.

Keim just now on 980.

A. They know the D line needs to be upgraded and are determined to do it.

B.  Signing Hankins would free them up in the draft and upgrade outside the D line

C.  If they don't sign Hankins he thinks they likely are going to pursue Payne or Vea in the draft

D.  Hankins wants a lot of money now, he did last year too -- he eventually backed off then, thinks he likewise might back off this year too.

E. There were a couple of RB FA's they like but prefer to save the money and deal with it in the draft

F. Ideally they'd like to sign Hankins and a DE like Parnell

G. He joked about how he's bombarded by fans about Hankins, he gets their skepticism about their inaction and agrees with that stance since they haven't proven yet they have the formula to build a major winner

35 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

At this stage, I want McPhee and Hankins. Get the money upped Bruce.

Next year we have provisional maximum number of comp picks in rounds 3,5,6,and 7. Hopefully someone takes a flyer on Galette, Pryor, or even Breeland, when fit, on medium value short term deals. Would be great to increase the value of those comp picks to say 3,5,5,6. Either way, four picks is good going.

Breeland, well if he doesn't get interest, maybe we consider bringing him back, however once fit I suspect he still gets paid by someone.

Other cheap FA considerations, Boone and Su'a-Filo for LG competition with a drafted rookie, and perhaps Maclin at WR depending on draft strategy at receiver.

I think the Scandrick signing closed the door on Breeland.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just now on 980.

A. They know the D line needs to be upgraded and are determined to do it.

B.  Signing Hankins would free them up in the draft and upgrade outside the D line

C.  If they don't sign Hankins he thinks its likely going to be Payne or Vea in the draft

D.  Hankins wants a lot of money now, he did last year too -- he eventually backed off then, thinks he likewise backs off this year too.

E. There were a couple of RB FA's they like but prefer to save the money and deal with it in the draft

F. Ideally they'd like to sign Hankins and a DE like Parnell

G. He joked about how he's bombarded by fans about Hankins, he gets their skepticism and agree with that stance since they haven't proven yet they have the formula to build a major winner

Normally I'm fine finding a RB  later in the draft.  But this scouting staff has not proven to be able to do that.  Without a 3rd, for now anyway, that means either the first or second or taking another 4th round flyer that has not worked out well in the past.

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Probably true although there is a good chance of an injury or two in OTAs, seems to happen every year.  Bash will probably wait to rehab now before signing somewhere after the draft and if the pickings are slim he may be a fit on a 1 year deal due to scheme familiarity and then he can try his luck again next year.

15 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Ooooo no! ? What will happen to the harvest fest then?! Can we still hire him as a consultant for that...?

LOL

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You can disagree but some of what you have is wrong. First, what is right - needs are accurate. Need a RB and a NT to be specific. They have not brought in any RBs that I know of. But realistically this really should be handled in the draft. The shelf life of RBs is too short. They keep trying but have not hit on a guy yet. But I would not spend money on a RB unless I had a whole lot of CAP.

Which is your way to do it. Thing is the highest bust rate in the draft is at RB for first round picks and that only goes from 58% to less the lower the rounds. To me if your going all in on a win it now season then you sign a RB like Murray for cheap and open up that first and second round pick for someone else. 

What's wrong - I really like overthecap.com as a resource but this time of year they are typically behind. So that $20M they are showing is not accurate. Based on estimates I have seen, when you take out the $6M for the draft they have about 6 to 8M left depending on what the Scandrick contract actually is. That is a lotg different than $20M.

Sorry but with no 3rd round pick they don't need 6 million for draft picks lol. Tandler has the number between 2-3 million. But whatever you want to say, use your numbers. Your the only person I've seen try and say they only have 6-8 million left. 

Also, while I agree they have not signed anyone - not sure how you can say they have not brought anyone in. They brought Hankins, Sullivan, Muhammad Wilkerson and Benson Mayowa in. Hankins did not sign last year until April.

Sorry Sir they brought in some guys and gave them a meal. The guys were hungry. I'm sure those clients liked the press they got from the visits but not one of them helped the team. 

So just like waiting for the Scandrick contract details to come out before getting pissed, I also plan to wait to see what Hankins does and what is asking price is. Also, I believe all but Sullivan are still out there. So until it's over it's not over.

I guess but no reason to believe it will change, how many teams still got millions more than the Redskins that have to spend it? Too many to type out. 

Also, I think you were a bit harsh on @SkinsTillIDie I did not see anywhere that they were OK with the defensive performance last year. They were making the valid point that while it has not worked out and is not what many of us might do - and yes that is sad on so many levels - they did attempt to address the DL. They have drafted several players including the 1st rd pick last year and signed several FAs.

Sorry if I came across harsh. I said I won't argue with apologists of this front office and that includes you. I won't argue. Sorry to everyone for posting what I thought about the job Bruce Allen has been doing to help this team. To me in my opinion it's crap. But if people like it that's cool. I won't share anymore Sir you can continue to support them but the longer it goes with them not addressing the similist needs this team has the less likely I am going to be thinking they are doing anything right. 

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The same can be said about Andy Reid.

As I said I think Smith will be fine but there is still a part of me that thinks once away from Andy Reid and those weapons he may not be the same player.  Just sayin'

Smiths last few years in SF were pretty good. His last year he only started 9 games. Went 6-2-1 and completed over 70% of his passes. He's not just a product of Andy Reid - but he had strong supporting casts at both SF and Kansas so he MIGHT be a product of that.

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No one brought in? We've brought in Hankins and Sylvester Williams just this week both of whom are potential 1 and 3 tech run stoppers. No signings yet for sure but you cant argue they are not at least aware of the issues and trying to do something about it. Of course they don't give out Lombardi trophies for trying.

Brought in I meant that they didn't sign anyone. They sure have taken a bunch of guys to Morton's Steak House whatever its worth

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Normally I'm fine finding a RB  later in the draft.  But this scouting staff has not proven to be able to do that.  Without a 3rd, for now anyway, that means either the first or second or taking another 4th round flyer that has not worked out well in the past.

If they don't sign a run stuffing NT in FA.  And some of these beat guys are on the money -- then its the most telegraphed need based draft I could ever recall with Vea or Payne in round 1 and the best available RB in round 2.  That is, again if they are right.  But who knows.

Hopefully we get our guys in FA as for the D line.

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure if it ever was a discussion. 

We have faith in Moreau to take over Breeland his spot but the FO wanted to bring in a vet to help the in general young group and a corner who can play inside and outside. Somebody that just works hard and they can cut if necessary. 

Breeland would probably want a multi year deal and would hold up Moreau. They can not play the same position with Norman beeing on the other side. 

I think Orlando brings more flexibility and veteran presence then Breeland. Probably also cheaper because the deal is a lot about playing well = earning well. 

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

Brought in I meant that they didn't sign anyone. They sure have taken a bunch of guys to Morton's Steak House whatever its worth

how else is it supposed to work bud?  we can't force people to stay here, and we seem to have gotten past the idea of blasting money to 'not let a guy leave.'  

Archived