Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You may be forgetting that injuries can cripple a team, not to mention attitudes and ego's can too. The Rams would be putting a lot on a young coaches plate in asking him to manage both Suh and Beckham both on the field and off. 

Well it's a damn good thing for Sean that he doesn't pay any attention to the Defense and handed that duty off to Wade Phillips isn't it.

What a novel concept, a head coach who understands that if he tries to do too much it only hurts him so he delegates. Amazing. Wish the Redskins would have thought of that

Look if we add Payne or Vea and they turn out to be as gifted as many say then we will have a strong, young foundation on the DL that will be fairly cheap for years to come.

Personally, even if we sign Hankins I would still look to get Payne or Vea but it would open up the ability to take Smith or James if they were available.

I'm saying this while assuming Fitzpatrick is long gone before we pick.

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In general I agree with you but there have been exceptions. Ionniadis for one, arguably Jordan Reed.

But I get the skepticism.

I dont really get the skepticism. One thing this staff has done well is develop talent. You mentioned Ionniadis and Reed. Just the FA's we lost this year were developed well. (Murphy, Paul, Grant) Plus we have other starters on the roster that we developed (Moses, Crowder, Smith, )...That is a pretty good hit rate on developing players IMO.

10 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

In related news, during the JP Finlay interview posted here:

https://art19.com/shows/redskin-talk/episodes/7000988b-3f4d-4b97-a10a-bc304b5ef128

Every one can hear Bruce Allen say how since Alex Smith won 50 games the past 5 seasons on the Chiefs that wins and losses is the most important thing when judging a QB in the league.

No not making this up, the opinion of the guy responsible for refusing to fix the DL, fix the RB, not signing the franchise QB, was wins and losses. To him it is the most important thing to talent evaluation of a QB to this guy. 

So if Jay believes the same thing that then of course "without a doubt" they improved

What do you want him to say, we had to go with option 2 because option 1 doesn't want to be here?

The most telling data that I heard in that interview was Bruce admitting he didn't try to trade Kirk because he thought they had a good team that had a chance to win in 2017.

For a guy who never wants to be wrong he basically let everyone know he was wrong, due to the poor season we had we didn't win over Kirk and now he's gone and we end up with 3rd compensation instead of a 1st from San Fran.

I don't mind him making that choice to keep Kirk on the tag in 2017 but you better be damn sure you can sign him long term if you're going that route.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont really get the skepticism. One thing this staff has done well is develop talent. You mentioned Ionniadis and Reed. Just the FA's we lost this year were developed well. (Murphy, Paul, Grant) Plus we have other starters on the roster that we developed (Moses, Crowder, Smith, )...That is a pretty good hit rate on developing players IMO.

What about Dunbar, that's the definition of development.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

You mean like when they signed Haynesworth, or Wilkerson or Stubbifield or Gilbert. Its not like there aren't busts in FA along the DL.

Do you believe that Jonathan Hankins is going to be a bust? If not then so what? There are busts everywhere including the draft. And free agency. Unless you think that Hankins is a bust this doesn't matter.

We went into last year and signed McGee and McClain BECAUSE they had strong reputations as run defenders. They were seen as cheaper options than some of the big names who were signed elsewhere. Its not to say that we saw him as THE answer, but calling them ignoring the position is a fallacy.

No they didn't. These guys were part time players on the Cowboys and Raiders and had no such reputation. They were graded by Cooley in his reviews right after signing as D+/C- players with obvious flaws to there game. No one actually thought they had what you said there "strong reputations as run defenders" lol that's why they were cheap. If they had that reputation they would have cost much more. The Cowboys were as a team strong at stopping the rusher but that was a team reputation. 

Bruce brought this up in the interview yesterday and I can't help but think he's referring partially to Haynesworth because that probably left a stain on free agency. We were in cap hell because of that contract for a guy who didn't want to be here. and quit playing because of that contract. D. Hall's deal was also bad but at least he had some fire.

So because of one FA mistake back in 2009, one that Bruce was not a part of, you believe that is the reason for them trying to fix the rush D leaks with no drafted players and no good FA additions? Teams that fail that are too scared to try again need to get out of the league. That's never going to work.  

The contrary is looking at the draft and developing players. That could mean guys like Ioannidis and Lanier and Allen or it could mean the signing the guys who are backups on another team and giving them more opportunities here. That's exactly what we did at WR with both Garcon and Robinson. We also tried it with Quick, Roberts and some others and it didn't work so well. But also you look at our history there and its not pretty: ARE & Lloyd ring a bell? Even the big success story of last year: Allen. We lucked into him, but had we not the rumors were that we were going to go after a DE/DT/NT in the draft.

The problem is that Bruce doesn't draft NT. He has one guy on his draft resume, 2011 Chris Neild 7th round pick. You can't develop guys that you don't draft. I've been hearing rumors 

I think its an overstatement, a fan statement to say they haven't recognized the problem.

If you believe they have addressed the need for a NT when the last guy they brought was in 2016 free agency who was a league minimum guy and a first round bust who didn't play a game for them and know that they haven't drafted one of these guys since 2011 a seventh rounder and they were dead last in rushing yards given up per game in the entire league last year and have not done anything to change that it's not fan speak to say Houston we got a problem here. It's an apologist that sees this and thinks they have addressed this. They haven't addressed it and no one should believe they are going to address it in the draft. Last year wasn't the first time that they were horrible at stopping the rush. 

49 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think the Haynesworth deal still gives fans the yips on pulling the trigger on FA deals.  But there were plenty of folks that correctly predicted what would happen with him.  He was never thought of as a high character guy that would continue to work hard after landing that paycheck.  You can't go on being cheap at that position because you were snake bitten there forever ago under prior management.  I'm not saying they haven't recognized the problem on the Dline but bringing in the Mc's certainly wasn't going to help solve it.  Jon Allen fell into their laps, as he was never suspected to be there for them.  I keep hearing about MI and JA, and even Lanier.  I like those guys.  But it's not enough in this arms race.  I believe in our coaches, but I do not believe they are capable of turning **** into ice cream.  

Dude did this

Understatement of the century (bolded).

The idiot that signed him is gone, Why would any self respecting person in charge of a sports franchise allow a franchise to be afraid of failing again? Failing is part of this sport. Everyone fails. Even the best of the best fail. The Patriots got curb stomped 81 to 31 in two superbowls before they won one. John Elway lost four Superbowls before winning one. Everyone not named Otto Graham fails in this league at some point. You can't be scared. The past is in the past. People need to leave it there

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The thing is have you seen what FA TE's got on the market this year. You arent getting Eifert for 4 mill. If Reed plays 10 games he is worth his salary this year. If you cut him you are eating 6 mill of cap for nothing. And Davis might be old but the guy has been fantastic for us. I do think we need to add another TE though. Either through FA or the draft.

I was corrected Eifert was resigned to a one year deal. 

About Reed ya your eating 6 million in dead money, and getting 4 more million to use this year. But the point about Reed is enough is enough, he's the third highest paid player at the position still. And when he plays and how much more he has in the tank to continue playing is a real serious problem. 

One hit to the head, one more concussion and his career is over. Anyway 

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018TE.php

There aren't any TE's out there now worth a damn. We are stuck with Reed but honestly I'd gladly cut him if it meant getting Hankins. Our TE situation sucks no two ways about it. 

48 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Living in Alabama I watch a ton of SEC football.  Sprinkles is way better than you are giving him credit for and like a lot of our draft picks in recent years I expect a big leap in year 2. 

Reed was always going to be held out of OTAs so I am not sure why people are acting surprised about this, they are going to treat him with kid gloves until the season starts, as a veteran OTAs are pretty worthless to him anyway.  If he is not ready for training camp then I will worry.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jeremy-sprinkle?id=2557886

I've always heard them speak about him as a blocking not a catching TE. His profile shows that is his strength. Not really sure what he can do as a pass catcher, only had 2 catches last year. 

44 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Every one can hear Bruce Allen say how since Alex Smith won 50 games the past 5 seasons on the Chiefs that wins and losses is the most important thing when judging a QB in the league.

I thought what was amusing about it was he also said the Team President should also be judged by their W-L record.   If so, Bruce is a self-declared loser.  So I wonder how deep he believes in what he was saying there.  By his own definition -- Alex = winner.  Bruce = loser. :)

He is a good blocker and that has been a need for us if we are ever going to get our run game established.  Of course we need a decent running back for our line to block for but that is another issue.  That said, he is very underrated as a pass catcher, not the second coming of Gronk but he should be a lock for the number 2 TE slot on the team as he gets comfortable in the system because he can stay on the field in both passing and running situations.

44 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Murphy was a 2nd round pick who became a rotational starter. Thats what you expect/hope for from a 2nd rounder.

The other guys were mid or late round picks who became valuable role players but not quality starters. Again thats about par.

There are not many recent examples of mid/low or un-drafted players going onto be quality starters. Moses and Crowder fall into that bracket along with Reed and Ionnidas. Smith was a 2nd round pick and he's a cut above Murphy but still not significantly outplaying his draft status IMO.

I like the sounds of what we got in McPhee after hearing Rich Campbell on Grant and Danny. Sounds like a solid rotational guy that shouldn't be your premier pass-rusher or on the field more than 65% of the time, but a physical edge-setter that can give you versatility on defense and is stout against the run.

Basically, sounds like he's replacing what Murphy SHOULD have been last year. Anderson will replace Galette.

Also, Craig Hoffman was on and said two players that the team is really high on that fans might not be are Montae Nicholson and Ryan Anderson. Said Anderson has slimmed down, added speed, and is now mentally and physically ready for an NFL season and the team thinks the sky's the limit.

As for Nicholson, interestingly enough, he said the staff believes that they struck gold, and if this guy can stay healthy he won't only be a quality FS but one of the best in the league.

MUSIC TO MY EARS.

I do like how the defense is starting to shape up. And I can now understand why we might pass on James or Fitzpatrick for a plug and play beast on the DL. I wouldn't love it, and think you can never have enough studs in the secondary, especially versatile like James/Fitz could be at CB and Safety ... but I think the defense is really shaping up. I'm excited.

Also, I'm going on record saying that Josh Doctson is going to blow up with Alex Smith. There was a film breakdown of some plays he made on terrible throws from Kirk.

40 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

There aren't any TE's out there now worth a damn. We are stuck with Reed but honestly I'd gladly cut him if it meant getting Hankins. Our TE situation sucks no two ways about it. 

There are some older guys we could bring in cheap on a one year deal.  I know its not ideal, but they could help while we draft and groom our next TE stud

1) Marcedes Lewis - not only can catch, but is a great blocker

2) Ben Watson - Still showed flashes in NO

3) Antonio Gates - May break a hip.  But could still be a great red zone threat

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wasn't taking anything away from McVay, or his talents, I'm just sayin it may not be enough to make Goff a championship QB.

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring. He doesn't have to make Goff into a Tom Brady clone to win. If the rest of the team is nasty, then "good enough" is enough to win some jewelry. Look at how far the Vikings got last year with Case Keenum.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

About Reed ya your eating 6 million in dead money, and getting 4 more million to use this year. But the point about Reed is enough is enough, he's the third highest paid player at the position still. And when he plays and how much more he has in the tank to continue playing is a real serious problem. 

IMHO Reed is done. He's missed time due to injuries in all of his 5 NFL seasons and also was hurt plenty at Florida. I think this past season was a good indication of who he'll be for the remainder of his career. He'll start the season nursing an injury, which limits his playing time. He won't be as large of the game plan because the game preparation needed each week is too strenuous on his body during the season. Finally, he'll just not be able to suit up some games. 

One can argue that he's young (turning 28 this season), but you have to wonder if there's any tread left on the tires. This is just opinion, but there's not way he makes it to playing at the age of 30. 

Then there's the elephant in the corner. His cap number for 2018 is $10,143,750. He is currently the 3rd highest paid TE in the league. He's only had one season, being 2015, where he was worth being paid like that and I feel he'll never be remotely close to replicating the 87 catch, 952 yard and 11 TD stat line. 

For the future, just draft one. We have Vernon Davis, who was just better than Reed last year. He's the stop gap. From there draft a TE in the second day of this year (Mike Gesicki/Dalton Schultz/Dallas Goedert/Durham Smythe/Troy Fumagalli) then develop him at a fraction of what Reed is. If anything whomever we draft would be an upgrade as a blocker. 

33 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Murphy was a 2nd round pick who became a rotational starter. Thats what you expect/hope for from a 2nd rounder.

The other guys were mid or late round picks who became valuable role players but not quality starters. Again thats about par.

There are not many recent examples of mid/low or un-drafted players going onto be quality starters. Moses and Crowder fall into that bracket along with Reed and Ionnidas. Smith was a 2nd round pick and he's a cut above Murphy but still not significantly outplaying his draft status IMO.

I think he has a point. We also drafted Fuller in the third who became one of the top (slot) cornerbacks last season, Kyshoen Jarrett in the 5th who played really well before he got that career ending injury, Breeland in the 4th, Spencer Long was a third and just got paid, plus last year we seem to have drafted pretty well with Nicholson in the 4th and Roullier in the 6th who became decent starters (also regarding their experience). Chris Thompson was also a 5th and was probably our best offensive player last year.

I think that's a solid number of players that developed just fine. Sure, there might be no perennial pro bowlers except for Brandon Scherff but still. If you compare that to the years before, it's a pretty good improvement.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

That's what I was thinking, not a starter, but maybe a 4th or 5th guy.  No one is biting so he could really come on the cheap.

How's Decker's health?...any major injuries?..surgeries?

10 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring. He doesn't have to make Goff into a Tom Brady clone to win. If the rest of the team is nasty, then "good enough" is enough to win some jewelry. Look at how far the Vikings got last year with Case Keenum.

Mcvay nor will anyone have that kind of defense dilfer had..

46 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I wouldn’t say it sucks, but I do feel it’s perhaps an underrated area of need.  I’ve been banging the drum for a well rounded TE to develop (Smythe in the 4th/5th, for example), but I’m afraid the FO will see more of a need for a corner/safety in that range.

Reed is a huge injury concern, Davis is older - a solid receiver, but not much of a blocker - Sprinkle offers upside as a blocker, but not much as a receiver.  Basically, we have 3 one dimensional TEs.  That’s not good IMO.  

I don’t agree with getting rid of Reed, at least not just ye - give him 1 more season to see if we can sell high (whether that’s getting a comp pick after cutting him, or trading him).   I’d keep Reed because 1) he can play more as a receiver for us (upping our talent out there), and if he stays mostly healthy, 1) he can help Smith and the passing game, and 2) he becomes tradeable.  

As I said though, the team should draft a guy for the future.

Back to my first point, I don’t think it’s a bad group, but it’s got the potential to go downhill in a hurry.  

41 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jeremy-sprinkle?id=2557886

I've always heard them speak about him as a blocking not a catching TE. His profile shows that is his strength. Not really sure what he can do as a pass catcher, only had 2 catches last year. 

Yep.  The problem with one dimensional TEs is the hit to our offensive flexibility.  

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This was my thought as well.  We have/had a lot of guys that have developed nicely, but not many of them would I consider starting material.  I don’t want to knock the FO/coaches too much though - they’ve done an admirable job with guys like Fuller, Breeland, Ioannidas, Dunbar, Smith, Moses, and so on.  On the other hand, I don’t think we can assume we’ll develop a NT or 3rd DT.  A guy that unexpectedly develops (Ioannidas, maybe Lanier) should be a bonus, not something you depend on happening.  

This is why I’m such an advocate of the last guy (or 2) on a unit’s depth chart being a high upside guy.  Robert Davis at receiver is a good example, IMO.  

I'm sure the Skins will be looking for a couple of other lesser expensive WR's to bring in either via FA or draft.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/1/5/16839906/the-5-oclock-club

In 2017, the Redskins put all of their draft picks on the 53-man roster except for Robert Davis, a big-bodied wide receiver out of Georgia State who was taken in the 6th round of last year’s draft. Davis went to the practice squad at the end of preseason.

Davis spent the first 13 weeks of the season on the Redskins practice squad, but was elevated in Week 14. He was inactive for every game except for the Broncos game, where he played three snaps on Special Teams, suffering a concussion on the third play that effectively put an end to his rookie season.

Davis seems to fit the mold of what the Redskins are looking for in their receiving corps. With a year of training, and a full off-season of work still ahead of him, can Robert Davis find his way onto the Redskins 53-man roster in 2018?

The receiving group looks something like this at the moment:

• Josh Doctson
  • Jamison Crowder
  • Maurice Harris
  • Robert Davis

Paul Richardson was added after this article was written.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

In general I agree with you but there have been exceptions. Ionniadis for one, arguably Jordan Reed.

But I get the skepticism.

I was mainly only referring to DL.  

And Ionniadis had a nice half year, but I need to see him repeat it before I call it a success.  But he's headed in the right direction, that's what you want to see from a young player.  

17 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Then there's the elephant in the corner. His cap number for 2018 is $10,143,750. He is currently the 3rd highest paid TE in the league. He's only had one season, being 2015, where he was worth being paid like that and I feel he'll never be remotely close to replicating the 87 catch, 952 yard and 11 TD stat line. 

Sadly, he was still on his rookie deal in 2015.  Ever since the extension he's been mostly MIA.  I can understand why they extended him when they did on the heels of that 2015 season where he was dominant but his injury issues were also well known at that time too.

Archived