Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

7 minutes ago, illone said:

Vinny has a better winning % than Brucey.  43% vs 39%. 

So you think it was Vinny who decided to hire Gibbs and give us a small blip of respectability?

Given everything else you ever saw him do..   no way. That bug eyed moron just happened to be standing here for that.

~Bang

So thoughts from Bruce's presser:

1. He said virtually nothing of great consequence, which was expected. However, there were a few nuggets.

2. He didn't say "we're close." But he basically doubled-down on it.  He said something like he really thinks the right people are here in the building which can win. (Win what? Who knows.)  So either he REALLY convinced himself of this or he's lying.  For some reason, I think he's convinced himself the team is more talented than they are, and generally better coached than they are.  

3. He brought up the 6-3 start before Alex got hurt.  I think he hangs his hat, and so does Dan, on this a lot.  He REALLY believes if Alex hadn't gotten hurt they would have made the playoffs last year, and things would be much better.  He might not be entirely wrong about that, but they were 6-3 heading to 6-4 with some tough teams on the horizon.  Though it's likely they would have at least gotten to 9-ish wins.  

4.  He kept on talking about how hard people are working, citing Doug, Kyle Smith, the coaches.  I guess that's good to know, but I think a little "work smarter not harder" might be in order.

5. Said they were not planning to trade Trent at this time.  Honestly, this is exactly what he needed to say whether true or not.  I hope it's not true but I fear it is.  

Overall, it was typical blah political crap. 

Side note: I was a club level ticket holder back in 2012, and was invited to some event at 'Skins park to meet Bruce, tour the facility, etc. (There was some name for the series, some folks got to meet Mike, others got to meet Bruce.) This was before the Griffin trade, and there was still some talk about signing Peyton Manning, etc.  What's interesting is Bruce has aged like 20 years since then.  Granted, that was a random Tuesday night in February or something, but he was actually extremely engaging, answered questions with enthusiasm, and had a lot of energy.  He was still a politician (so he didn't say much of anything), but you could absolutely see some of his father's intensity and passion come though.  It definitely seemed as though he was having fun.  And this was coming off of the Grossman/Beck year of 2011.  It wasn't like there was a lot to be happy about right then.  

That's all gone.  Now he's just a power hungry, incompetent ass hat who has had as much of a hand in destroying the team as anybody not named Dan.  

Remember this: In December of 2012, which is just 6.5 years ago, this fan base was JUICED.  Griffin hadn't torn his ACL (again), and FedEx for that clincher against Dallas was absolutely rocking.  You could argue it was the height of the Dan Snyder ownership.

Since that point, with a brief (and I mean brief) interlude in 2015, it's basically been anywhere between "meh" and awful.  And Bruce has presided over all of it. 

It's shocking how far this fan base has fallen in really what turns out to be 3 or 4 short years. And a lot of it is Bruce's fault.  

I'm hoping at some point after the stadium deal is done Bruce just retires because it's not worth it to him any more.  He can't be having any fun.  He's got plenty of money.  There's just no reason for him to stick around if he's not enjoying it, and let's be honest, what is there to enjoy?  Having a lot of power and losing a lot? i just can't imagine that is enjoyable.  Sticking it out to stick it to everybody?  I mean sure, maybe he gets his rocks off just being in charge.  I dunno.  If it were me, I'd go live in my mansion on the west coast and enjoy life.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I've read, Callahan and Jay are very different stylistically.    Callahan personality wise is even more chill than Jay.   But Callahan has the reputation of grinding his players in practice.  Some have said the injuries every year on O line is partly due to being overworked.  Who knows?  Will see. 

Are the non-O line injuries from being under-worked?

Why then hell didn’t anybody at the press conference ask Allen “Since the Redskins are 30 games under .500 during your 10 year tenure and you have obviously no clue how to run an organization, why do you refuse to structure your organization like other winnings franchises by hiring a true General Manager to run the entire football side of the operation?”

Im already sure he’d bring up McCloughan and the fact that it didn’t work out as a reason to say he’s exhausted all measures. What a ****ing bozo.

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

e brought up the 6-3 start before Alex got hurt.  I think he hangs his hat, and so does Dan, on this a lot.  He REALLY believes if Alex hadn't gotten hurt they would have made the playoffs last year, and things would be much better.  He might not be entirely wrong about that

He was and is entirely wrong about that.

The 6-3 alex smith redskins were garbage. They just got lucky and played some teams that found a way to suck worse than we did when we played each other. Did you not watch the games? It was awful. 

He's convinced himself of these things because he has to convince Snyder of these things to keep his job. So he's had lots of practice.

If you find yourself in potential agreement with Allen again, I would recommend you consider revising your opinion. Immediately. Because it's absolutely wrong.

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Why then hell didn’t anybody at the press conference ask Allen “Since the Redskins are 30 games under .500 during your 10 year tenure and you have obviously no clue how to run an organization, why do you refuse to structure your organization like other winnings franchises by hiring a true General Manager to run the entire football side of the operation?”

Because our media is full of phonies looking for a chance at a national gig because so many people with national gigs come through the DC media market.

For whatever reason this team still is able to intimidate people in those rooms. They'll go on radio shows and talk a big game but sit them down with someone that matters and they turn into a bunch of sissies asking softball questions afraid of the person they're interviewing.

I just don't understand how the new stadium deal can be anywhere NEAR close to being done.  

Fedex has seen a STEEP decline  the past 2 years, and it's only going to get worse.

Why would anyone in their right mind put a new stadium in place?

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

For whatever reason this team still is able to intimidate people in those rooms. They'll go on radio shows and talk a big game but sit them down with someone that matters and they turn into a bunch of sissies asking softball questions afraid of the person they're interviewing.

Did you even watch the presser?

The media did not pepper him with softballs.  They were asking questions we all want answers to.  Hell the one basically telling him to apologize the fan base for sucking the past 10 years sounded like he was about to yell at Bruce Allen.  That question had so much passion behind it.

But the media can't make him answer the questions in the way we all want to hear.  He just answered them in the most politician way possible, not taking ANY responsibility.

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

He was and is entirely wrong about that.

The 6-3 alex smith redskins were garbage. They just got lucky and played some teams that found a way to suck worse than we did when we played each other. Did you not watch the games? It was awful. 

He's convinced himself of these things because he has to convince Snyder of these things to keep his job. So he's had lots of practice.

If you find yourself in potential agreement with Allen again, I would recommend you consider revising your opinion. Immediately. Because it's absolutely wrong.

Let me be clear: he might not have been wrong that if Smith hadn't gotten hurt the 'Skins might have made the playoffs. In their final 6 games, they had @Dallas, @Philly, NYG, @Jacksonville, @Tennessee, Philly.  They did beat Jacksonville.  They came within a whisker of beating Tennessee with Josh Johnson. The Giants were TERRIBLE, but the team quit on butt fumble.  What I'm saying is that it's possible that if Smith doesn't get hurt, they find a way to win at least 2 if not 3 of those games.  And they might make the playoffs.  

And with Smith, it's possible that would have happened.  My exact quote was "He might not be entirely wrong about that." Which just due to the math, is an accurate statement. They might have made the playoffs.  

Garbage as you say they were, Smith gave them a chance to win.   Again, at 6-4, you don't have to do too much to get into the playoffs.

Would that mean it was a good team? No.  Would it have meant that it was a well coached team?  No.  Would Bruce still have been delusional about how good the team is?  Yes.  Would it have probably avoided the debacle that has been this year?  Maybe.  Though probably not if the defense regressed like it did.  

I am not agreeing with Bruce's assertion that the culture is good (which is the question he was answering when he brought up the 6-3 start), or that last year's team was a world beater.  But he convinced himself if Alex hadn't gotten hurt, they could probably have gotten to 9 wins and a wild card spot. And that really could have happened.  

I kinda think if it had happened, they might still be 0-5 this year.  Because of Manusky and the defense. And Brady in his prime might not be good enough to save this offense with this defense.  

51 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Are the non-O line injuries from being under-worked?

It's not my logic that I am putting forward.  But the narrative that Callahan's extra practices might be a factor in the injuries was a story with some who cover the team especially last year.  We can take or leave it the story -- you are gathering are leaving it.  That's cool. 😀 

NFL Network is slamming the FO, especially Allen about the dysfunction of the Redskins.  They are hitting on it about every 1/2 hour.  Good for those in the public that MIGHT not know what's going on in DC.  Mind you, I don't think Gruden is HC material but the bigger problem lies with SnyderAllen.

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let me be clear: he might not have been wrong that if Smith hadn't gotten hurt the 'Skins might have made the playoffs. In their final 6 games, they had @Dallas, @Philly, NYG, @Jacksonville, @Tennessee, Philly.  They did beat Jacksonville.  They came within a whisker of beating Tennessee with Josh Johnson. The Giants were TERRIBLE, but the team quit on butt fumble.  What I'm saying is that it's possible that if Smith doesn't get hurt, they find a way to win at least 2 if not 3 of those games.  And they might make the playoffs.  

Well Bruce hasn't been paying attention. Our season went south when we lost Scherff and Lauvao last year. Everything starts from here.

And this year again, our OL sucks.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

NFL Network is slamming the FO, especially Allen about the dysfunction of the Redskins.  They are hitting on it about every 1/2 hour.  Good for those in the public that MIGHT not know what's going on in DC.  Mind you, I don't think Gruden is HC material but the bigger problem lies with SnyderAllen.

Excellent. We need this all through the season for it to get through to Snyder

Breer

Their job isn’t very attractive right now, especially for someone who’s got good options.

And the reason why was made clear for the one millionth time on Monday through the in-plain-sight finger-pointing we all witnessed coming from that podium. The bottom line? Chances are, if you sign up for this particular job, you’re probably signing up for the same kind of ending that Gruden got

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/jay-gruden-fired-washington-redskins-bruce-allen?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer

Their job isn’t very attractive right now, especially for someone who’s got good options.

And the reason why was made clear for the one millionth time on Monday through the in-plain-sight finger-pointing we all witnessed coming from that podium. The bottom line? Chances are, if you sign up for this particular job, you’re probably signing up for the same kind of ending that Gruden got

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/jay-gruden-fired-washington-redskins-bruce-allen?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

Breer along with NFL Network nailed it especially Garafolo who has been on every 1/2 or so talking about SnyderAllen.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Excellent. We need this all through the season for it to get through to Snyder

From what I've heard Snyder is somewhat some kind of introvert and Allen is his voice.  Once or rather IF Snyder pulls the plug on Allen and goes with a true GM (Kyle Smith) or someone the ship might get righted.

Bruce Allen and by extension Snyder told fans they can go **** themselves in this presser.  Every year the Redskins throw events for fans to attend besides the games. Why are fans attending these? I'd like to see crickets at the NFL Party the Redskins have annually. Fans should not go to training camp, they already are abandoning the games and those still going should stop.  I just told my family not to purchase Redskins merchandise for me unless it can be proven to be pirated (oh the irony).  I'm also going to stop watching them until they get serious about fixing their problem.  Damn.

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

From what I've heard Snyder is somewhat some kind of introvert and Allen is his voice. 

Snyder isn't an introvert; he's in hiding. When things went well, he's shown brief flashes of being expressive, boisterous, and obnoxious. If this were a winning franchise, he'd be hogging the limelight and urging the media to kiss his *** like he does with Bruce and his other cronies. The guy's a worm.

Imagine having the same meeting every few years, with the same core group of executive leaders, and deciding that the smoldering franchise occupying the floors below is someone else’s fault.

Another coach? Another coach. Yes, this time, things will be different.

Out of every horrid, bottoming-out situation in the NFL this year (and there are plenty) Washington stands out as especially hopeless. They are the worst home on the block, a weed-infested landscape with a caved-in roof, chipping paint and outdated appliances. The homeowner gazes at this tumbling structure and is content to blame the gardener. They are the kind of project only a blindly optimistic soul might take, against the warning of all of their peers.

In the Daniel Snyder era, Washington has successfully courted coaching candidates by default. They are one of 32 of these jobs in the world and so at some point, no matter how hard you try, circumstances may drive the desperate together. Inside the building, they seem to specialize in the kind of toxicity that lingers. They spend excessive draft capital on franchise quarterbacks and then place them in the middle of painful administrative wrestling matches. They assemble a team of disjointed parts. They uproot personnel. They meddle, and then deny meddling.

This may be the hiring cycle when it becomes truly evident what people in NFL circles think of this once-revered franchise. It’s not getting any easier to hire in this league, thanks to decades of mishandling the coaching pipeline. The competition for capable coaches who are truly ready is only becoming more serious. And what candidate on earth would risk perhaps his one and only shot here?

...The one positive in firing Gruden now is that Washington will get the longest head start on the 2020 coaching carousel. Based on their previous history, they will need every last second to convince a rising star in the profession to risk it all in the nation’s capital.

Someone will try and fix up the house because they always do. Coaches are a naturally adventurous—and confident—lot. Someone will believe that all the other guys just couldn’t handle a strong personality on the floor above. But at some point they’ll realize the same thing every other person who tried and failed here has realized: There’s only so much you can do to the place without evicting the owners.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/nfl-washington-next-coach-dan-snyder-jay-gruden-fired?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

22 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Snyder isn't an introvert; he's in hiding. When things went well, he's shown brief flashes of being expressive, boisterous, and obnoxious. If this were a winning franchise, he'd be hogging the limelight and urging the media to kiss his *** like he does with Bruce and his other cronies. The guy's a worm.

What? Not Daniel, no way!!

SNY.0.gif

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Imagine having the same meeting every few years, with the same core group of executive leaders, and deciding that the smoldering franchise occupying the floors below is someone else’s fault.

Another coach? Another coach. Yes, this time, things will be different.

Out of every horrid, bottoming-out situation in the NFL this year (and there are plenty) Washington stands out as especially hopeless. They are the worst home on the block, a weed-infested landscape with a caved-in roof, chipping paint and outdated appliances. The homeowner gazes at this tumbling structure and is content to blame the gardener. They are the kind of project only a blindly optimistic soul might take, against the warning of all of their peers.

In the Daniel Snyder era, Washington has successfully courted coaching candidates by default. They are one of 32 of these jobs in the world and so at some point, no matter how hard you try, circumstances may drive the desperate together. Inside the building, they seem to specialize in the kind of toxicity that lingers. They spend excessive draft capital on franchise quarterbacks and then place them in the middle of painful administrative wrestling matches. They assemble a team of disjointed parts. They uproot personnel. They meddle, and then deny meddling.

This may be the hiring cycle when it becomes truly evident what people in NFL circles think of this once-revered franchise. It’s not getting any easier to hire in this league, thanks to decades of mishandling the coaching pipeline. The competition for capable coaches who are truly ready is only becoming more serious. And what candidate on earth would risk perhaps his one and only shot here?

...The one positive in firing Gruden now is that Washington will get the longest head start on the 2020 coaching carousel. Based on their previous history, they will need every last second to convince a rising star in the profession to risk it all in the nation’s capital.

Someone will try and fix up the house because they always do. Coaches are a naturally adventurous—and confident—lot. Someone will believe that all the other guys just couldn’t handle a strong personality on the floor above. But at some point they’ll realize the same thing every other person who tried and failed here has realized: There’s only so much you can do to the place without evicting the owners.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/07/nfl-washington-next-coach-dan-snyder-jay-gruden-fired?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

Yes! Moar of this!

Archived