Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

On 11/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, Califan007 said:

Um...Allen was announced as the challenge consultant back in 2014, Gruden's first year here. I'm surprised this guy didn't know that. It's not exactly a secret lol...

But it does beg the question, why is that? Has Bruce ever coached before? What makes him qualified to serve as a "challenge consultant"?

@JSSkinz I was going to post about that too.  The extent to which Bruce has failed repeatedly at QB might be unprecedented.  Teams like the Browns fail simply by repeatedly drafting QB busts in the first round.  Bad, but it's hard to draft a franchise QB, and at least it just costs one pick each time. 

With Bruce, he's also brought in bad free agent QBs, had good QB options in the building that he ignored, and the one time he drafted a "franchise" QB he spent so many picks that it crippled the rest of the team.

26 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Has Bruce ever coached before? What makes him qualified to serve as a "challenge consultant"?

You think that is bad.  What if I told you that Snyder was making some of those challenges, relaying them through Bruce?

4 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

You think that is bad.  What if I told you that Snyder was making some of those challenges, relaying them through Bruce?

Snyder needs to sell. 

I was at the game this weekend and everything about it was depressing. He has just ruined everything about this team. 

And it just never seems to end.

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Snyder needs to sell. 

I was at the game this weekend and everything about it was depressing. He has just ruined everything about this team. 

And it just never seems to end.

That's never going to happen.  But, Bruce Allen could be fired and Kyle Smith could be promoted to GM.  That could definitely help.

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Considering the succes we had I would be disposed to believe that John Mara hacked Dan Snyder's cellular and is passing info regarding challenges to Bruce Allen.

51 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

That's never going to happen.  But, Bruce Allen could be fired and Kyle Smith could be promoted to GM.  That could definitely help.

Definately.

Either Smith or Schaeffer.

Have to find a way to keep both in the building. Whatever it costs.

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

But it does beg the question, why is that? Has Bruce ever coached before? What makes him qualified to serve as a "challenge consultant"?

I seem to remember we were all asking that back in 2014 lol...

To he and Gruden's credit, though, Gruden is now listed among the most successful coaches in terms of successful challenges. That 0-8 start was bad, though.

Reminder, the contract Bruce signed was this: We pay either $55M for one year, or $71M for three years.  We get to decide which after the first year, unless he gets a serious injury, in which case we are locked into $71M for three years.  And we give up a third round pick and the last two years of Kendall Fuller's rookie contract..

Even if Alex Smith was 100% healthy, we would be screwed right now.  Because both those options are far too much to pay for Alex Smith's poor play.

Would someone please give Bruce Allen a garden salad filled with the bad lettuce?

This is the core of the problem right here, and he has been the core of the problem since he came here. The Alex Smith contract should be reason enough to fire him, being now the team is screwed by the huge contract that has to be paid to Alex, who didn't do much while he was healthy, but now he gets to sit on his couch and toss popcorn into his mouth while raking in the cash.

Does anyone on ES trust Allen to do the right thing or trust him to continue doing what he is doing? I don't. The man has been a failure everywhere he has been, but for some reason he's got Dan swooned over. Someone needs to get to Dan and convince him to fire Bruce Allen, because this team will not go anywhere while he is still with this organization.

8 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Would someone please give Bruce Allen a garden salad filled with the bad lettuce?

This is the core of the problem right here, and he has been the core of the problem since he came here. The Alex Smith contract should be reason enough to fire him, being now the team is screwed by the huge contract that has to be paid to Alex, who didn't do much while he was healthy, but now he gets to sit on his couch and toss popcorn into his mouth while raking in the cash.

Does anyone on ES trust Allen to do the right thing or trust him to continue doing what he is doing? I don't. The man has been a failure everywhere he has been, but for some reason he's got Dan swooned over. Someone needs to get to Dan and convince him to fire Bruce Allen, because this team will not go anywhere while he is still with this organization.

We probably won't with Dan either, but I agree, we will never do anything with Bruce Allen here.

As for why Dan brought him in originally, it was likely the old Redskin connect. I know that for me, that part made me positive about the move originally. Boy, was I wrong.

It’s funny to me that this is the final straw. He traded for McNabb, he cost us 36 mil in cap penalties. He let a good QB walk, he not only traded for Smith, but doubled down and extended him. He’s technically hired 2 head coaches and traded for 2 starting QBs while drafting 2 others (one for a ton of draft capital). Meanwhile we’ve been to the playoffs twice with no real chance to win anything meaningful. He’s Vinnie 2.0 and most of us saw it 5 years ago. Things will never change because Snyder is a coward. He's afraid of doing a full ground up rebuild. He’ll sell the team first. And that will never happen.

3 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

It’s funny to me that this is the final straw. He traded for McNabb, he cost us 36 mil in cap penalties. He let a good QB walk, he not only traded for Smith, but doubled down and extended him. He’s technically hired 2 head coaches and traded for 2 starting QBs while drafting 2 others (one for a ton of draft capital). Meanwhile we’ve been to the playoffs twice with no real chance to win anything meaningful. He’s Vinnie 2.0 and most of us saw it 5 years ago. Things will never change because Snyder is a coward. He's afraid of doing a full ground up rebuild. He’ll sell the team first. And that will never happen.

The worst that you didnt even mention.  Trading 3 picks for RG3.  I can pretty much pinpoint that as the reason why we have 0 offensive talent.  The years we had picks we needed to address the defense since we used stop gaps on offense like Garcon and Jackson

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

We probably won't with Dan either, but I agree, we will never do anything with Bruce Allen here.

As for why Dan brought him in originally, it was likely the old Redskin connect. I know that for me, that part made me positive about the move originally. Boy, was I wrong.

Yea, but Danny boy isn't dumb, he's a smart businessman, so at some point he HAS to realize that after going through 3 coaches, a bunch of assistants, quite a few busts  [ players ] and a stadium that can't be filled unless its with opposing fans, the problem has to be somewhere else.

I can see bad luck in getting a coach who couldn't get the job done, but the people that have left this team over the years and went on to other teams and performed better, the long list of failures at draft day, the yearly problems with injuries, its gotta be a wake-up call to him.

The problem is Bruce is Dan's right-hand man, the yes-man is a perfect description of Bruce, and god knows what he has filled Dan's head with.

There has to be a huge outcry to get rid of Bruce; I'm talking banners, bumper stickers, billboards, talk shows, hell even go up to him at a restaurant and give him the business to his face.

Chances are Bruce would be under the damn table.

Someone should make up a bunch of signs saying 'Fire Bruce Now' and pass them out to fans in the stadium; get that on camera and Bruce can't hide that.

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

The worst that you didnt even mention.  Trading 3 picks for RG3.  I can pretty much pinpoint that as the reason why we have 0 offensive talent.  The years we had picks we needed to address the defense since we used stop gaps on offense like Garcon and Jackson

Actually did. Check the parentheses. As an aside, I never understood why Griffin didn’t wear #3. If it were me I would’ve worn Griffin and had the 3 as my number instead of 10 and forcing the Griffin III name badge. Much cooler.

33 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

He’ll sell the team first. And that will never happen.

If he sold 16% of the Redskins Capital, that would be enough...

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Is he really though?

Hasnt everything he’s touched since he bought the Skins went to ****?

Well he bought the Redskins for 800M

Now they're worth 3.1Billion.

If he sold 16% of it... That would be 496M or something...

Now he can sell 32% of it and he'd got his cash back and still remain owner of the Redskins with 33% of it. Not bad.

I just commented on this on another thread -- digesting this from Dan's point of view -- he's about to go on one wild ride that's either despair or ecstasy.

They had a 2 game lead over Dallas that they lose within 5 days with Dallas beating us on national TV to take the division lead (albeit via current tie breakers) with Dallas crowned now around the league and the Redskins back to the usual national narrative of being pretenders.  Does that stuff effect more casual fans going to games?  Yeah I'd think so.

But they are about to go on round 2 of it.  If Dallas loses to the Saints.  Then the MNF game on a national stage will give the Eagles the opportunity to right their ship at the Redskins expense and leapfrog over the Redskins too in a three way tie but with the Redskins behind on tie breakers in third.

Imagine that?  And imagine it holds?  I think Dan would go apoplectic.  I can't recall another season with two back to back showdowns this late in the season with different NFC East teams that are high stakes like this let alone both games being on national stage and if they end up loses they likely provide a momentum springboard for their division rivals.

I can't think of a more juicy emotional showdown than all of that.   Conversely if they Dallas loses to NO and the Redskins beat the Eagles then they can right the wrong of the Thanksgiving game and be the team with the momentum.

This MNF game really could be a watershed game as for what Dan thinks about the organization going forward.  But if they lose to the Eagles and don't make the playoffs, I think these loses are likely too emotional and high profile for Dan to just shrug it off without making changes at the end of the season.  Will see.

26 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Well he bought the Redskins for 800M

Now they're worth 3.1Billion.

If he sold 16% of it... That would be 496M or something...

Now he can sell 32% of it and he'd got his cash back and still remain owner of the Redskins with 33% of it. Not bad.

I was talking about his other ventures outside of the Redskins going to crap.  But I won’t argue against him selling.

Archived