Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

They need to fire Allen. He had years to get a Cousins extension done and instead lets a younger and better QB go for a mid 30's game manager. Everyone knows that the QB in the modern NFL largely drives the success of the team. Imagine Kurt with this defense and running game. 

Secondarily, the offensive injuries were entirely predictable because we game plan around relying on injured players. We drafted CT and he wasn't healthy. Guess what, he's still almost never healthy. He had a fibula fracture? How long did it take to be "almost healed"? Nine months? It's a bone, not an ACL. The guy is like the opposite of Wolverine. Reed is never healthy. Lauvao is NEVER healthy. Not to beat a dead horse, but to give Lauvao some other guys roster spot, and use his presence to justify not upgrading the LG spot is laughable. At this point Trent is always injured, even when he is playing and Moses also always seems to be nursing an injury. Of course the offensive line was going to fall apart. Predictably. 

And we have no game breakers other than Chris Thompson. We took an offense with competent QB'ing and receiving, started tearing it apart two years ago by letting Garcon and Jackson go, and completed the tear down by letting Cousins go. Along with a solid CB and a 3rd round pick. Desean Jackson would be the best receiver on this team by a mile. Two miles. And these moves were made to save money? For Preston Smith? Who has zero sacks? Jesus.

Half of this board would build a better team that Allen has. It's an embarrassment. 

Damn I wish I had written this post.  Very well said from start to finish, totally agree with everything.   

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m sure it has to do with his pedigree as well.  Grew up immersed in pro football.  

I'm hoping he's using the new school methods along with some good things he picked up from his dad.

I don't know what AJ was responsible for before he got to the Chargers but he didn't do a good job as San Diego's GM.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm hoping he's using the new school methods along with some good things he picked up from his dad.

I don't know what AJ was responsible for before he got to the Chargers but he didn't do a good job as San Diego's GM.

If I recall, AJ built the most talented roster in the NFL, then it all fell apart after they hired Norv...

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If I recall, AJ built the most talented roster in the NFL, then it all fell apart after they hired Norv...

He allowed Brees to become a free agent and then fired Marty after a 14-2 season.

Replacing him with Norv makes him even more suspect, also he was known for being an arrogant asshole.

There's definitely some talent in the bloodlines and hopefully, he takes the good and recognizes the mistakes his father made.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:11 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

A little bad news if its true, Chris Russell said he's heard that Jon Gruden isn't enamored with Bruce as an executive these days so he doesn't think the Raiders would try to talk him into going over there but he said don't be surprised if they pursued Kyle Smith to be their new GM next year.  I couldn't tell if the Kyle Smith part was pure speculation. 

It would be so Redskins to keep Bruce and Jay and let Kyle Smith, McVay and Kyle Shannahan all walk...

41 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He allowed Brees to become a free agent and then fired Marty after a 14-2 season.

Replacing him with Norv makes him even more suspect, also he was known for being an arrogant asshole.

There's definitely some talent in the bloodlines and hopefully, he takes the good and recognizes the mistakes his father made.

Yeah, he built a great team, but the word on the street was he was a horses ass, couldn’t get along with anybody, and then it all blew up.

In fairness on the Brees thing, they had drafted Rivers because Brees wasn’t Brees yet, and then tore up his shoulder going into FA. 

They went with the younger and cheaper and healthier option.  And Rivers as your second option isn’t that bad.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We’re supposed to throw a party because we finally drafted some fat boys.  As if that’s a novel concept or groundbreaking strategy.

Congrats Bruce, you've finally gotten to where Fred Mother****ing Smoot was nine years ago: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/fred_smoot_on_drafting_fat_boy.html

On 11/10/2018 at 6:51 PM, Tsailand said:

Congrats Bruce, you've finally gotten to where Fred Mother****ing Smoot was nine years ago: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/fred_smoot_on_drafting_fat_boy.html

Man reading this article and to see Rogers name in it.  To think we had a chance to draft Rodgers instead of this alligator hands CB.

Major mistake by Gibbs when he was there not to pull the trigger.  to this day I wonder if GB didn't pick Rodgers if Gibbs would have switched out of his promise to get JC and got Rodgers, remember he went I believe a spot before we picked JC.  Knowing Gibbs he would not break a promise.

Anyway, I think for the most part we have had great picks the last two seasons.  Getting Payne and Allen where we got them in retrospect we hit the jackpot.  Getting THE GREEK in the 5th round was incredible the dude is leading this team with almost 8 sacks.  Getting Roullier where we got him is also huge because I feel we found our Center for the next 9 years.  I can still see Moses back stage at the draft, getting passed over until we got him with a 3rd round pick.  We lucked out with that also.  But I can't forgive this front office the travesty they did with Cousins and the desperate move they pulled by getting Smith, while giving up a 3rd and Fuller.  The 3rd round pick I get, but to give up Fuller who in my mind was just about to become one of the best slot CBs in the league is nuts.  Then Allen pays him more money that would have cost to sign Cousins in the beginning of 2017.  All that money for a 35 year old game manager.

And if the rumors are to be believed that Allen was pissed when Doug brought AP in then seriously who is running this asylum?  The dude needs to go but Synder is too much of an egomaniac and wants his "yes men" to be around him.

45 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Man reading this article and to see Rogers name in it.  To think we had a chance to draft Rodgers instead of this alligator hands CB.

Major mistake by Gibbs when he was there not to pull the trigger.  to this day I wonder if GB didn't pick Rodgers if Gibbs would have switched out of his promise to get JC and got Rodgers, remember he went I believe a spot before we picked JC.  Knowing Gibbs he would not break a promise.

And if the rumors are to be believed that Allen was pissed when Doug brought AP in then seriously who is running this asylum?  The dude needs to go but Synder is too much of an egomaniac and wants his "yes men" to be around him.

Even if they did draft Rodgers, with the way the FO mismanages things, he would have most likely been traded off after a few years.

Being 6-3 isn't a good ingredient in the recipe to get rid of Bruce; in fact, he's dug in like a tick, in a spot close to center of the gluteus maximus.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:44 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, he built a great team, but the word on the street was he was a horses ass, couldn’t get along with anybody, and then it all blew up.

In fairness on the Brees thing, they had drafted Rivers because Brees wasn’t Brees yet, and then tore up his shoulder going into FA. 

They went with the younger and cheaper and healthier option.  And Rivers as your second option isn’t that bad.

Exactly....

We don't get to complain in this thread that we have too many guys with an injury history and then complain about moves that protected a team from a player with an injury history. 

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guess the thought behind this is Bruce likely won't elevate Kyle to a position above his or Doug or Schaffer get it, instead?

Kevin O'Connell is starting to make a name by himself and was talked a lot during last offseason.

He's kind of guy I would love to see elevated to OC in place of Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh is just a plate holder for Jay so far, give O'Connell a real shot, or Wes Philips as second option. 

Both could be good choices IMO.

Now, how could Bruce elevate Kyle Smith above Team President? :D

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This confirms what some have suggested, Bruce is the challenge guy during the games

Agreed, SIP and disappointed at the same time.  Until Snyder moves on from Allen this team will be average at best.  Kyle Smith is a FO this organization MUST keep.  He has done outstanding the past couple of drafts.  We lose him this team takes a nose dive.

Archived