Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

If you are George Allen this is his thinking- Desperate times means desperate measures because he knows if this season goes South and if he is not let go by Snyder in the off-season then next season will be his last opportunity to survive getting fired.  He knows our linebackers are slow in pass coverage and he is hoping the criminal justice system does not put Foster in jail for a long time.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even if Doug has more autonomy in the FO than we originally anticipated, we all knew the real reason he was put there, which was to be the guy signing all the statements from the team.

Doug was the one responsible for bringing in an admitted child abuser though.  He ain't squeaky clean either.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Doug was the one responsible for bringing in an admitted child abuser though.  He ain't squeaky clean either.

My point was more that he was promoted to be the face of the franchise, to deliver their messages, and put his name on these press releases.

Because anything they do is easier to digest coming from a Super Bowl champ QB rather than Bruce Allen.

Let me play devil's advocate here...even as someone who dislikes Allen. 

PR backlash aside, this could be a shrewd long-term move. It could be that they realize there's no chance Foster will play this year and they are looking ahead to having a first-round player on a rookie contract for another 2 full seasons. 

Foster seems like a bad dude, but what harm is there to have his rights and make him earn the right to play? He'll either turn things around and you have a steal or he won't and you release him. It's the type of move that if New England makes people applaud. 

As for what Foster did (or allegedly did), yes it's despicable. But, unless you are going to only sign or draft or trade for choir boys I don't really see how it's any different than someone who was arrested for assault or drug charges or a DUI. I don't know why suddenly this specific type of violence is the only place the NFL and its fans have a moral compass. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

PR backlash aside, this could be a shrewd long-term move. It could be that they realize there's no chance Foster will play this year and they are looking ahead to having a first-round player on a rookie contract for another 2 full seasons. 

Foster seems like a bad dude, but what harm is there to have his rights and make him earn the right to play? He'll either turn things around and you have a steal or he won't and you release him. It's the type of move that if New England makes people applaud. 

As for what Foster did (or allegedly did), yes it's despicable. But, unless you are going to only sign or draft or trade for choir boys I don't really see how it's any different than someone who was arrested for assault or drug charges or a DUI. I don't know why suddenly this specific type of violence is the only place the NFL and its fans have a moral compass. 

Really? If you can't figure out why beating on a person (especially a woman) is worse than smoking a joint, you likely have issues of your own.

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Thank you for bringing this up. Although I have never been associated with anyone that has inflicted or been a victim of domestic abuse I do have very strong feelings towards DUI's as my brother was killed at age 21 by a drunk driver. 

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's the type of move that if New England makes people applaud. 

But they didn’t even try, and they are the Pats and we’re the Redskins.

I totally get that on its face it seems like a ‘hey, why not?’ kind of move, given his talent.  But it’s a bad look when literally nobody else had the desire to sign him as quickly as we did.  The last thing this already sputtering team on its last legs for a playoff push needs is to be answering questions about domestic violence.  And if I’m Brian LaFemina tasked with repairing this team’s image, I’m pissed off about this.  

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Really? If you can't figure out why beating on a person (especially a woman) is worse than smoking a joint, you likely have issues of your own.

Easy tiger...

I was very clear that I don't condone any of the behavior. But are you ready to turn your nose up at players who have any violent crime in their past? What about illegally having guns? It gets extremely tricky when we try to hold these guys to the same standard we'd hold someone we know or care about. 

What he did is disgusting (as I've already stated). But I'm sure the family of a man who was assaulted and beaten up by a different NFL player doesn't differentiate too much between that crime and what happened to this woman. But I've never seen anyone want to play judge and jury with those players. Maybe I've missed it. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But they didn’t even try, and they are the Pats and we’re the Redskins.

I totally get that on its face it seems like a ‘hey, why not?’ kind of move, given his talent.  But it’s a bad look when literally nobody else had the desire to sign him as quickly as we did.  The last thing this already sputtering team on its last legs for a playoff push needs is to be answering questions about domestic violence.  And if I’m Brian LaFemina tasked with repairing this team’s image, I’m pissed off about this.  

I really don't think it's that out of left field...other than the fact that it was the Redskins this time. And, speaking of our Redskins, no one seems to care too much about the child abuse allegations against AP...probably because the guy was helping to a 5-2 and 6-3 start to the season. 

I just really think NFL fans as a whole are pretty hypocritical with this stuff. And this isn't me saying "eh, domestic violence isn't a big deal" and more me saying "why isn't all the other stuff a big deal?"

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Easy tiger...

I was very clear that I don't condone any of the behavior. But are you ready to turn your nose up at players who have any violent crime in their past? What about illegally having guns? It gets extremely tricky when we try to hold these guys to the same standard we'd hold someone we know or care about. 

What he did is disgusting (as I've already stated). But I'm sure the family of a man who was assaulted and beaten up by a different NFL player doesn't differentiate too much between that crime and what happened to this woman. But I've never seen anyone want to play judge and jury with those players. Maybe I've missed it. 

Are you asking me to turn up my nose at a NFL player that has a past of violent crime?

Well, I already do. And considering my stance on guns, I'm not going to be really happy for a guy that has a illegal arsenal of guns, either.

And guess what? I don't consider ANY assault good. And would be against it, unless he was defending himself. If he's the aggressor? **** him.

And yeah, I think you've missed that. Literally NO ONE want's a guy that is violent off the field. Now, they might convince themselves the ends justify the means, but I really don't. I'm one of those people that would prefer a bunch of choir boys, as opposed to a team of Joe Mixons. I like to be actually proud of the team.

1 hour ago, wunderhill said:

Thank you for bringing this up. Although I have never been associated with anyone that has inflicted or been a victim of domestic abuse I do have very strong feelings towards DUI's as my brother was killed at age 21 by a drunk driver. 

I'm sorry man

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Are you asking me to turn up my nose at a NFL player that has a past of violent crime?

Well, I already do. And considering my stance on guns, I'm not going to be really happy for a guy that has a illegal arsenal of guns, either.

And guess what? I don't consider ANY assault good. And would be against it, unless he was defending himself. If he's the aggressor? **** him.

And yeah, I think you've missed that. Literally NO ONE want's a guy that is violent off the field. Now, they might convince themselves the ends justify the means, but I really don't. I'm one of those people that would prefer a bunch of choir boys, as opposed to a team of Joe Mixons. I like to be actually proud of the team.

OK, then I'm not talking about you. But there are PLENTY of people who are treating this violent act differently than others. And my primary point here is that seems hypocritical to me. As a fan, you should either completely divide the on-the-field stuff from the on-the-field stuff or you should be consistent in what you judge or don't accept (like you seem to be). 

I guess I'd love to ask many Redskins fans why they are a hard no on Foster but have no issues with Peterson here? Or Floyd with his DUI convictions? 

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

And, speaking of our Redskins, no one seems to care too much about the child abuse allegations against AP...probably because the guy was helping to a 5-2 and 6-3 start to the season. 

I just really think NFL fans as a whole are pretty hypocritical with this stuff. And this isn't me saying "eh, domestic violence isn't a big deal" and more me saying "why isn't all the other stuff a big deal?"

AP was charged with child abuse, that the public is near split on whether it was actually child abuse or not.  Otherwise his resume is that of a hall of fame player, with no other blemishes on his long record. 

Foster has 2 separate charges of domestic violence and documented problems just in the last few years.  He has no resume to fall back on in a short period of time.

Not even close to the same.

Archived