Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

First person he killed was the security guard then killed first cop that showed up.  That feels like an L for good guy with gun argument

Should have been 8 good guys. With AR-15s. Maybe M203s. 

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

The mental health vs. guns angle is always going to be played by pro-gun advocates. The fact remains that purely relying on people to identify possible threats and take action is not going to work.

See, worrying about political angles is part of the problem. If conservatives think any gun restrictions are unconstitutional and liberals think identifying mental health as an issue is code for being pro-gun, we’ll never solve this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

See, worrying about political angles is part of the problem. If conservatives think any gun restrictions are unconstitutional and liberals think identifying mental health as an issue is code for being pro-gun, we’ll never solve this.

Thats why we’ve never solved it

or really taken even the slightest of steps towards bettering the situation. 

We’re locked in a nonsense gridlock politicially. We’ve got two main sides that see things completely differently and refuse to budge. 

Obama came our executive orders after sandy hook about research and funding for gun crime items. 

The right accused him of trying to take away their guns (gun rights expanded under Obama and none of his EO’s directly targeted guns)

the left accused him him of not doing anything. 

Its where we are and so long as each side exists as it current does, the other doesn’t have a reason to budge. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I think this is in a nutshell. The gun control side keeps trying to be reasonable and tries to compromise. The gun rights sight is dogmatic and unbudging.

Besides, every time the gun rights say they think it's about mental health and then simultaneously pushes to repeal Obamacare, defund mental health programs, and block the communication of psychiatric information when it comes to FBI background for those deemed a danger to themselves and others.... Every time they do this, you know that they are full of it.

I really dont like that they got this guy in front of cameras right after he found out his son died. Should be private. 

It kinda adds to the idea that they just want the views/clicks when they cant even let my man mourn his son before they have him go viral. 

• Like 5

Y'all are funny.

Oh it's about constitution this or mental health that.
that's what YOU think it's about. That's the distraction. The round room with the answer in the corner.

it's about a massive lobby selling guns for manufacturers and buying the complicity of your elected officials while using compromised media and politicians to fan the flames of the fear that drives sales..  and coincidentally, mental health problems that cause shootings in many of these cases that drive the fear that makes the sales that fans the flames that causes a crazy person to shoot people which drives the fear that makes the sales that fans the flames... you get the picture..

This is GREAT for business. Mass indiscriminate murder is AWESOME for sales.

cha-CHING.

But yeah, second amendment this and fluffernutter that.

this country is sick, and instead of doing something about the illness, it is distracted to arguing endless points that have never changed or budged an iota in forever, and never will. It's just a merry go round of bull****, a lot of blood, and a LOT of money for people who use us for precisely this exact reason, (and as we've learned, are well funded by an enemy who probably loves nothing better than to see us going crazy and killing each other... and most certainly could not give a **** about our Constitution or what it says other than to use it to their own ends, which they have.)

It's not about anything but ****ing money. Cha CHING.

~Bang!

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, clietas said:

Exactly. Firearms are a 50 billion dollar a year industry. It's not going anywhere. 

And scotus will never allow meaningful gun control

and no one is interested in doing anything else

so yeah, it’s just going to continue. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

307 mass shooting incidents this year so far. Almost one a day, but let's send 15,000 people to the border for a political PR stunt. Let's do nothing about the ACTUAL threats in this country.

What do you propose the government/POTUS do?  I'm not agreeing with the dispatching of all those troops to the boarder, but you mentioned that in your post, so are you suggesting they dispatch troops all over the country in certain cities to patrol?  

2 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

The pro-gun people are also generally against funding and expanding mental health treatment programs so their arguments are silly.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

It kinda adds to the idea that they just want the views/clicks when they cant even let my man mourn his son before they have him go viral. 

“Some children died the other day... you should have seen the ratings that day”

I think they should make owning guns more akin to working a skilled profession... every two years I have to get reassessed for my job to make sure I’m keeping up with the profession.. they should make gun owners sit for evaluations every 6mo to a year. At the gun owners expenss...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think they should make owning guns more akin to working a skilled profession... every two years I have to get reassessed for my job to make sure I’m keeping up with the profession.. they should make gun owners sit for evaluations every 6mo to a year. At the gun owners expenss...

No, they shouldn't.  But even if they wanted to, they would not be able to enforce anything like that.  There are a gazillion guns owned that they don't know about, much less who owns them.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I really dont like that they got this guy in front of cameras right after he found out his son died. Should be private. 

There was a scene in a book. Hero is investigating a plane crash. He sees a group of T.V. waiting outside the room where people are trying to identify body parts, to interview the family members. 

He states "I hope there is a hell. And when those people get there, Satan sticks a camera in their face and asks if they can describe what they're feeling."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m on board with increasing the regulation part of well regulated militia.

But can you imagine being the person actually tasked with going into some parts of this country and “making” gun owners submit to evaluations?  Yikes.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a simple governmental fix to the gun death problem in this country.  Small incremental changes to gun laws might help slightly (and may be worth doing), but we are going to continue to see massive amounts of unnecessary and tragic gun deaths as long as a large portion of the population continues to believe that gun rights are more important than gun deaths.  Government can't change that.  It will take massive cultural change.  I hope it happens.  I don't think it will.  I see no almost willingness to really evaluate our gun culture and its contribution to the carnage.  Our country is unique in how wanton and common gun deaths are here.  We ought to be terribly ashamed and doing everything we can to change it.  All I see is a bunch of thoughts and prayers and shoulder shrugs.  

I am desperate to see some hope, but I'm really having a hard time finding any.  Of course, when nothing changed after a bunch of first graders were massacred, I don't know why we'd expect anything to change now... 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

But can you imagine being the person actually tasked with going into some parts of this country and “making” gun owners submit to evaluations?  Yikes.

Requiring me to do the long form census nearly sends me postal.

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The problem with this is that it will not work because the human element that is involved. The human as a specie can just get up one day (maybe something has pissed them off the night before or even few minutes before) and say **** it I am going out and I am going to take whole bunch of people with me. Goodbye cruel world.  

Banning guns out right is the only solutions. The human mind is weak. Rage and emotional breakdown within oneself will happen. It is in our genes. 

39 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

What do you propose the government/POTUS do?  I'm not agreeing with the dispatching of all those troops to the boarder, but you mentioned that in your post, so are you suggesting they dispatch troops all over the country in certain cities to patrol?  

What should the government/POTUS do?

Off the top of my head--

Empower the CDC and NIH to research the problem of gun violence

Fully fund the ACA and stop using it as a political football

Expand medicare and VA funding for mental health services

Create an electronic medical database that improves the sharing and efficiency of background checks especially when it comes to those with proven violent psychiatric issues.

Actually man and fund the government groups/agencies that are designed to watchdog these things. Many of them are horribly undermanned and underfunded and we find out all too often in hindsight that there is a huge trail of social media breadcrumbs that could have led agents to discover and prevent these tragedies.

Disallow the NRA from making any political contributions. Since we know they are taking large international donations and foreign monies can not be used for political donations... let's get the NRA out of politics.

That's a starter I put together even without thinking or stopping to look anything up.

Edited by Burgold

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

It will never happen, too many changes in laws/regulations would have to be put into effect.  And would also require the cooperation of every state to participate, which won't happen as I'm sure there are plenty of states that would fight something like that.  

To even get it something like that started and work it would need to be at a national level, which I personally think all gun laws/regulations should be the same across all states anyhow, but that's another discussion for another day.  Then they would need to implement gun registration for all firearms (both rifles/handguns) and start tracking sales and registrations so they know who owns what.  But that would only work with sales/registrations moving forward, they wouldn't be any way to accurately track all the gun sales from the past.

They wouldn't have the man power to go door to door asking/checking and plenty of people would just lie anyhow, why wouldn't they?  There will always be the gun show loop-hole even if they did get a hold of previous purchase records.  Sure it will work for some gun owners, hell, if they can track your car inspections now, they would be able to track gun-reregistration/evaluations and give them say 90 days to comply or have the option to pay heavy fines or turn them over to local law enforcement until completed.  

Point being, there will still be a **** load of guns unaccounted for and whereabouts unknown.  As a gun owner, I'm actually for stricter gun laws/regulations, etc.  I also have no issues with requiring a permit to purchase all firearms, no problem registering my guns either if it comes to that.  I do not believe it should be every 6 months like @CousinsCowgirl84 stated, that's just silly.  Plus that would require a lot of man power to enforce.  Something like every 3 years or every 5 years perhaps.