Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s morning in America.

This sucks.  Only the Dems can save us.

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

13 people are dead in a mass shooting and it’s not the constant story on every news channel. 

I don't have my TV on, but it's screaming across the top of Cnn.com (And foxnews.com if anyone gives a ****).

Sad.  The Sgt. Sheriff that was going to retire next year was killed, was one of the first through the door.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This sucks.  Only the Dems can save us.

Nah.  We need reasonable people from all backgrounds to come together and work on this.

I mean, Hollywood is deep blue but essentially 50% of all movies made for the last 30+ years are some variation of “white guy and his magic gun save the world”.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nah.  We need reasonable people from all backgrounds to come together and work on this.

I mean, Hollywood is deep blue but essentially 50% of all movies made for the last 30+ years are some variation of “white guy and his magic gun save the world”.

Spoiler

(That was sarcasm)

So you're saying...Hollywood = NRA wet dream?  I wonder how each other feels about this.

I agree on reasonable people coming together, unfortunately reasonable people aren't heard in society today.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

GREAT POINT. 

40 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Reveal hidden contents

(That was sarcasm)

So you're saying...Hollywood = NRA wet dream?  I wonder how each other feels about this.

I agree on reasonable people coming together, unfortunately reasonable people aren't heard in society today.  

They can be though. The problem is we have to find a way to get ourselves out there. **** maybe it could start with a message board and then find a way to make the voice louder.....

Saw this thread bumped... didn't want to open it... where was the shooting... Borderlines as in the place some if my younger colleagues, friends and coworkers visit?

It was only a matter of time until one of these was close to me.

Hope no one I knew was in there....

Not that anything will change... the new Season of South Park got mass shootings right... they are just a part of life.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

The shooter is apparently named Ian Long, and is 29

I am going to just guess:

Misogynist, white, probably should have been nowhere near a gun due to past incidents, and probably on the right-wing end of the political spectrum.

Or is that what you're hoping for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thousand Oaks is a pretty upscale neighborhood, not that it matters. I'm in Torrance on the other side of town. Still...I just got home on Tuesday night. Scary.

It's never going to stop ? So sad we live in a country where this happens regularly, and our government doesn't do anything to stop it.

• Like 1

The 2nd Amendment Paradox: a tiny amount of bad guys can get guns because so many good guys want guns.

I am all for trading gun mag and other restrictions to the 2A folks for restricting guns out of public spaces.

If you are waiting for Civil War II or American Revolution II -- go ahead and horde all the guns you want in your home, even military grade. Have at it.

Go ahead and zone public spaces where you are allowed to carry like recognized hunting grounds, shooting ranges, etc. But if you carry at a street, school, mall, bar and arent a peace officer and gun is detected -- you get locked up.

2 minutes ago, twa said:

Isn't it already illegal to carry a gun into a bar in Cali, much less shoot innocents?

And that's exactly the problem.  We do make it illegal to commit mass murder.  We also systematically and intentionally make it extremely easy to commit mass murder.  If we really want to acknowledge this as a problem and address it, we need to work to make it harder to do, not just pass laws saying we don't like it.  

• Thanks 3

Per CNN - The shooter apparently had the police called to his place earlier this year for a disturbance. According to the report, he was acting “irrationally,” but a mental health team cleared him.

—-

This is happening on almost a daily basis. There’s something deeply wrong with certain people in society now, there’s an underlying sickness that wasn’t in this country 20-30 years ago. How do we fix it? We can take away guns, and that will obviously reduce mass shootings, but the mental illness will still be there. What’s the next step?

3 minutes ago, twa said:

The exact problem is folk wanting to kill others

I don't know.  I think people have transient murderous impulses all over the world.  In most countries, the difficulty in actually committing mass murder is such that those impulses are only very rarely acted upon.  In our country, we have mass murder happening so regularly that it is never really surprising.  I don't think our people are significantly more disturbed than other countries (though there are certainly places that take care of mental illness better - there are also places that do worse), but we absolutely kill more of our own than almost anywhere else.  By miles.  

• Thanks 2