Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

4 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Per CNN - The shooter apparently had the police called to his place earlier this year for a disturbance. According to the report, he was acting “irrationally,” but a mental health team cleared him.

—-

This is happening on almost a daily basis. There’s something deeply wrong with certain people in society now, there’s an underlying sickness that wasn’t in this country 20-30 years ago. How do we fix it? We can take away guns, and that will obviously reduce mass shootings, but the mental illness will still be there. What’s the next step?

WTF.  If anyone shows a hint of mental health instability, take their guns.  The fact that a mental health team had to meet with the guy is all you need to know.

• Like 1

I agree mental health is the source of the issue. The problem is that mental health professionals have very little power to confine or restrict individuals from being part of society. More than half of the time their diagnoses are wrong, such as the above example.  How many mass shooters were seeing therapists/psychologists at some point in time? Usually within a close time frame leading up to the event. I can think of a couple. 

The mental health vs. guns angle is always going to be played by pro-gun advocates. The fact remains that purely relying on people to identify possible threats and take action is not going to work.

• Like 2

This makes me so furious.  The NRA telling docs to stay in our lane?  I'm a doc.  Preventing unnecessary and early death is EXACTLY the lane we've chosen.  This is a health crisis.  Tens of thousands of Americans are dying too young because of gun violence.  The articles the NRA are complaining about are scientific and modest (http://annals.org/aim/latest)  and are basically advocating treating this as a public health issue (which it obviously is) and forming multi-disciplinary task forces to come up with ways of reducing unneeded deaths.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

WTF.  If anyone shows a hint of mental health instability, take their guns.  The fact that a mental health team had to meet with the guy is all you need to know.

Pointing out that that proposal will strip guns from millions of people, of whom maybe a dozen would have actually killed somebody. 

(And that's before we get into the fact that such a law will cause a bunch of intentionally false complaints, and cause unstable people to avoid seeking help.)

I'm not saying I'd oppose such a law. Just pointing out the implications. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm inclined to say yes.  That, or there needs to be some new standards/methods on how to screen mental health.  Especially someone that's former military and has seen combat.  

I agree, there has to be something we’re not picking up on that points to people being a danger to the public, and new practices need to be implemented. It seems like we see this same pattern of “had a run in with the law and was evaluated for mental health issues” before these shootings happens.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Pointing out that that proposal will strip guns from millions of people, of whom maybe a dozen would have actually killed somebody. 

(And that's before we get into the fact that such a law will cause a bunch of intentionally false complaints, and cause unstable people to avoid seeking help.)

I'm not saying I'd oppose such a law. Just pointing out the implications. 

and the violence that would likely result from such a action, I know I ain't volunteering to collect them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nah.  We need reasonable people from all backgrounds to come together and work on this.

I mean, Hollywood is deep blue but essentially 50% of all movies made for the last 30+ years are some variation of “white guy and his magic gun save the world”.

And I feel like 100% of broadcast television shows have that theme as a weekly story

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Or is that what you're hoping for?

He’s for profiling

but only a certain type of profiling

do the others and he’ll flip his lid

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Let’s be real hear, this is a problem that is caused by primarily white men in their 20-30’s save a few outliers.

Agreed. 

I don’t have a problem with the idea of profiling. So long as the person(s) controlling the model and appliacatikn are unbiased and know what they’re doing. 

Want to get real about other crimes?

:)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Agreed. 

I don’t have a problem with the idea of profiling. So long as the person(s) controlling the model and appliacatikn are unbiased and know what they’re doing. 

Surprise us 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Agreed. 

Today in tshile’s mental gymnastics class:  How to equivocate mass murder with dealing molly!

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I agree, there has to be something we’re not picking up on that points to people being a danger to the public, and new practices need to be implemented. It seems like we see this same pattern of “had a run in with the law and was evaluated for mental health issues” before these shootings happens.

Millions of people "have a run in with the law". Recently, two people out of those millions have killed people. 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

Agreed. 

Well my criminal use of the word “hear” instead of “here” for one... (I swear it was autocorrect).  Lack of proper punctuation for another.

Yes, we could totally derail the thread about mass shootings by discussing other crimes that are perpetrated by primarily black people or Hispanic people.  Let’s face it, Asians (except for Filipinos) simply don’t commit crimes.  We probably shouldn’t though.

First person he killed was the security guard then killed first cop that showed up.  That feels like an L for good guy with gun argument, may have to treat certain venues with front door locked so if security killed shooter can't get in.

We are way passed disturbing a false equivalencies.  From what I'm reading it coulda been more if people weren't so used to this and focused on how other people survived versus panicking. 

• Like 1