Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

So, you want to retitle this thread the "thoughts and prayers" thread?

I was just trying to give a friendly reminder about proper threads.  I'm bowing out of this part of the discussion.  I'm not a mod so I'll leave it to @PCS since he already made a comment t about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The only way gun laws will change is if/when we start seeing dead bodies. Americans dont take this serious because we don't see the carnage.

Looking at our media, we are desensitized and crave violence.  I want to agree with you, but I dont.

House used to refuse to vote on any gun laws, thats about to change.

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I wouldn't jump to that assumption. 

The NRA doesn't completely own the Dems the way they do the GOP. But there are a noticeable number of Dems who don't want to go on record choosing between Party and NRA. 

• Like 1

Just now, Larry said:

I wouldn't jump to that assumption. 

The NRA doesn't completely own the Dems the way they do the GOP. But there are a noticeable number of Dems who don't want to go on record choosing between Party and NRA. 

I get what you're saying and why you'd say that. There are a lot if progressives coming in, gotta remember they tried to push a bunch if laws after Newton and couldn't even get a vote.  Little stuff like mandatory background checks might make it out the house, not sure where it goes from there, but that's the only way it can start

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Looking at our media, we are desensitized and crave violence.  I want to agree with you, but I dont.

We don't see dead bodies.

I think eventually we will be desensitized, but that immediate horror will shock so many people who are on some Call of Duty fantasy.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:46 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

The shooter is apparently named Ian Long, and is 29

I am going to just guess:

Misogynist, white, probably should have been nowhere near a gun due to past incidents, and probably on the right-wing end of the political spectrum.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Or is that what you're hoping for?

Got three right out of four so far.

20 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We don't see dead bodies.

I think eventually we will be desensitized, but that immediate horror will shock so many people who are on some Call of Duty fantasy.

Of the real stuff, Nah. Looking at the media now, we see it all the time. I don't think it would take long for us to shake that off, not if we've still done nothing since Newtown. 

I'd support trying to show it and see how it goes, but color me pessimistic.  Think we're passed the point of being disgusted by this and need to keep putting people in office that will pass laws for a change.  Want to see how aggressive this house is, there's no guarantee they will just make Pelosi speaker.  From what I'm reading there's a large about of progressive coming into the house right now because of this election.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Of the real stuff, Nah. Looking at the media now, we see it all the time. I don't think it would take long for us to shake that off, not if we've still done nothing since Newtown. 

I'd support trying to show it and see how it goes, but color me pessimistic.  Think we're passed the point of being disgusted by this and need to keep putting people in office that will pass laws for a change.  Want to see how aggressive this house is, there's no guarantee they will just make Pelosi speaker.  From what I'm reading there's a large about of progressive coming into the house right now because of this election.

I mostly agree with @BenningRoadSkinon this. Yes, we are a culture that is obsessed with violence but we also have a view of violence that's informed by movies and TV where we either don't really see it or it is sometimes graphic but even when it is, it's overly cartoonish. As a culture overall we've mostly been sheltered from real world violence (via war, shootings, etc) and it's true face for a long time now. I'm not advocating for forcing people to look at dead bodies from mass shootings but I think that people seeing the images could give the reality of it more impact. It's one thing to talk about an 8 year old being shot and killed; it's entirely another thing to see the body of a 8 year old with half of it's head missing and blood pooled around it from a .223 round and imagining that was your kid, brother/sister, or what have you.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mostly agree with @BenningRoadSkinon this. Yes, we are a culture that is obsessed with violence but we also have a view of violence that's informed by movies and TV where we either don't really see it or it is sometimes graphic but even when it is, it's overly cartoonish. As a culture overall we've mostly been sheltered from real world violence (via war, shootings, etc) and it's true face for a long time now. I'm not advocating for forcing people to look at dead bodies from mass shootings but I think that people seeing the images could give the reality of it more impact. It's one thing to talk about an 8 year old being shot and killed; it's entirely another thing to see the body of a 8 year old with half of it's head missing and blood pooled around it from a .223 round and imagining that was your kid, brother/sister, or what have you.

Sheltered isn't even the word for it, though there are a lot of people say in the inner city I wouldn't put in this category.  

On the kid comment, I'm having trouble confirming if any of the kids at newtown were shot in the head.  I know the mom was multiple times.  I don't think a floor of bodies will do it, we need video of the active shooting with bodies falling, which may help the shooters that want the attention.

I won't get in the way of doing this, we should, just giving my two cents as well.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Sheltered isn't even the word for it, though there are a lot of people say in the inner city I wouldn't put in this category.  

On the kid comment, I'm having trouble confirming if any of the kids at newtown were shot in the head.  I know the mom was multiple times.  I don't think a floor of bodies will do it, we need video of the active shooting with bodies falling, which may help the shooters that want the attention.

I won't get in the way of doing this, we should, just giving my two cents as well.

I don’t think we should show video of an actual shooting. I think it will just make things worse by giving the shooters the added fantasy of becoming the “star” of their own sick “movie.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I don’t think we should show video of an actual shooting. I think it will just make things worse by giving the shooters the added fantasy of becoming the “star” of their own sick “movie.”

Once will be enough to say its worth the backlash.  I would make congress watch one in a closed session or leak onenso they can't avoid it, that's who you gotta convince foe change, a lot of the electorate is already there, do something.

2 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I hear he was posting on social media during the shooting.

sick ****s

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Once will be enough to say its worth the backlash.  I would make congress watch one in a closed session or leak onenso they can't avoid it, that's who you gotta convince foe change, a lot of the electorate is already there, do something.

Ok, I can get behind having Congress watch videos so they feel the gravity of the situation. I think it’s glorification enough that we release the shooter’s name and picture... I would personally rather they be erased from history. It seems the infamous noteriety, the idea that the killer’s name was heard and had an impact on society, is what appeals to some of these mass murderers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Ok, I can get behind having Congress watch videos so they feel the gravity of the situation. I think it’s glorification enough that we release the shooter’s name and picture... I would personally rather they be erased from history. It seems the infamous noteriety, the idea that the killer’s name was heard and had an impact on society, is what appeals to some of these mass murderers.

That's tough, the less info we have on the shooter, the harder it is for general public to have informed opinion about why they might have done it.  If say we stop giving names and mugshots, feel the rest would make it too easy not to figure out who it was.