Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

41 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

If we're bringing up Guice's pre-injury film, and for good reason, but Nick Chubb's pre-injury film was IMO equally impressive. Thought he was a first round pick before he got hurt but it's been 3 years since that I believe so you wonder if he'll ever be that player again. He didn't lose his incredible balance and that uncanny ability to absorb contact and regather his base in the blink of an eye and he's still very powerful, but I don't think he got that juice back that jumped off the screen his freshman year. 

Fair point, but Chubb's injury was far far worse. IIRC he had multiple ligament tears in his knee, whereas Guice apparently just had a lingering sprain or something that he kept playing through so it didn't completely heal up until the season was almost over. To me the question with Chubb isn't so much is he the same guy...I think he's probably close but might never quite be the same...it's how that injury history could affect his future. How much more vulnerable is his knee now? Another injury like that and he's probably done with football. I know it's been 3 years but it's still a concern IMO, especially for a guy like a RB who's going to be getting hit a lot. 

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fair point, but Chubb's injury was far far worse. IIRC he had multiple ligament tears in his knee, whereas Guice apparently just had a lingering sprain or something that he kept playing through so it didn't completely heal up until the season was almost over. To me the question with Chubb isn't so much is he the same guy...I think he's probably close but might never quite be the same...it's how that injury history could affect his future. How much more vulnerable is his knee now? Another injury like that and he's probably done with football. I know it's been 3 years but it's still a concern IMO, especially for a guy like a RB who's going to be getting hit a lot. 

Chubb looks great, but I want a RB with REAL speed who can finish plays. A play maker. Someone who can be the lightning to Perines thunder. Soney Michel is our man. If he were to drop to us in the 2nd, I'd go ape ****....

1 minute ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Chubb looks great, but I want a RB with REAL speed who can finish plays. A play maker. Someone who can be the lightning to Perines thunder. Soney Michel is our man. If he were to drop to us in the 2nd, I'd go ape ****....

Michel certainly looks fast on tape but ran a 4.54 40 at the combine which I was blown away by (not in a good way). I figured him for close to a 4.4 flat dude. Chubb actually ran a faster 40 than Michel did. Not sure what the deal was but he also didn't run it again at his pro day so I guess he's sticking with those numbers.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I've stated here how high I am on Chubb, and think he'd be remarkable value in the mid second round. I like Guice too, but am hoping the media interest the Skins are showing is smoke. Chubb, pre injury, was a generational talent, he had it all, size, speed, vision, instinct. Yeah, he had a bad injury, and he may never be the back he was, but I believe he's inching closer.

His combine numbers were excellent. SPARQ score just behind Barkley. Not quite up to the insane SPARQ score he put up before his freshman year, but enough to show he's still an athletic freak.

The knee injury was 2 1/2 years ago, and, considering the amount of damage, I would think that about 2 full years would be a recovery time frame for him to begin returning to FULL health. The fact that he came back after a year is pretty amazing. One other note about his injury. He damaged multiple ligaments, but his ACL was not one of those. To me, it looks like he is rounding into form now, and could be a dominant, bell cow type back in the league for the next 5+ years, barring another mishap.

This year I saw a lot of the old Nick Chubb, that amazing balance and change of direction, burst, power, and speed. After watching his pro day tape, and seeing how naturally and effortlessly he caught the ball, added to the quickness and suddenness he showed in his movement, I think Chubb is getting close to that 2014-15 guy everyone was agog about.

I think he is going to make some team and fans very happy, and I hope it's us.

9 hours ago, TK said:

I was tempted to drive off the side of the mountain in Bluefield earlier today when I got a call saying they're talking about bringing back Ladoo-doo at LG. 

Ugh, must be a fallback plan if they can't grab a good interior prospect in the first few rounds. The best chance of that happening will be dropping back in the first and accumulating at least one more day two pick. Hope they can take advantage of this good draft class for late 1-4 round interior offensive guys!

Do people give much credibility to the idea that we are looking to move back into the first round to grab a running back . I think it is unlikely anyone of note is left at 44 so the team might feel it needs to move up - What kind of future capital might we be looking to do that ? 

7 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

If we're bringing up Guice's pre-injury film, and for good reason, but Nick Chubb's pre-injury film was IMO equally impressive. Thought he was a first round pick before he got hurt but it's been 3 years since that I believe so you wonder if he'll ever be that player again. He didn't lose his incredible balance and that uncanny ability to absorb contact and regather his base in the blink of an eye and he's still very powerful, but I don't think he got that juice back that jumped off the screen his freshman year. 

For me the difference is that Guice regained his form by the end of the season where Chubb looked good but not who he was pre-injury. Also, there is a huge difference between a badly sprained ankle and tearing your PCL, LCL, and MCL. 

I like Chubb, don't get me wrong. But between the two, I like Guice a lot more. For me Chubb would be a fall back where Guice is someone to target. 

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

For me the difference is that Guice regained his form by the end of the season where Chubb looked good but not who he was pre-injury. Also, there is a huge difference between a badly sprained ankle and tearing your PCL, LCL, and MCL. 

I like Chubb, don't get me wrong. But between the two, I like Guice a lot more. For me Chubb would be a fall back where Guice is someone to target. 

I guess it all depends on your point of view.

Guice and Chubb's injuries were far different, Chubb's being WAY more devestating and taking far longer to return to 100% from. When I look at this past season's tape, I see two very similar backs, but when I look at their tapes pre-injury, Chubb is at another level. 

Now, Chubb may not ever regain that level again, but looking at his combine and pro day stats, he is at least coming close. Chubb, right now, has dramatically higher SPARQ scores than Guice. Also, the fact that he's remained healthy for two seasons would lead me to believe the strength in that knee is intact. 

1 Vea or Payne

2 Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
4 Holton Hill, CB, Texas
5 Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan

5 Quinn Blanding, S, VA
6 Javon Wims, WR, Georgia
7 Dejon Allen, C/G, Hawaii
7 KURT Benkert, QB, VA

Cooley is high on OSU wr James Washington. Thinks he is a Pierre Garcon type. 5'11", 213 lbs and his game speed is supposed to be faster than his combine 4.5 40 yd. 

Mocks have him going in the 2nd-3rd round. Ive read a couple articles on him and it seems like Cooley isnt the only one. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/30/17145766/2018-nfl-draft-james-washington-scouting-report-breakdown-wide-receiver

We definitely need that run the slant/cross/inside route, move the chains receiver.

But there will be a lot of talented players at positions of need in the 2nd.  

----------------------------------------------------

edit - wouldnt be mad at taking Harold Landry over Vea or Payne if ward, fitz, james, edmunds, r smith, nelson are all gone. Ideally, we madden it up, trade back 5 spots and still get Landry. 

54 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Vea is a bit of a softy.  A lot softer than Payne.  He does not play the game with the same anger and intensity that Payne does.  Payne's got that Alabama toughness in him and Vea is another soft Pac-12 player coasting on freakish talent.

I agree with that after watching all of both of their cutups, but I don't really want either of them.

I wish the browns could be talked into trading 13 for the 1st and 3rd picks in the second round. They'd still have the 32nd pick in the second, but would have #1 overall, #4 and #13. They could take a qb, Barkley/Chubb then a Fitzpatrick or James if available at 13.. that is nuts. However it would benefit us big time..

I've run several mocks doing that and can get a top tier rb, a guard, and a DL with 3 early second round picks. There are multiple choices for each that early in round 2, and they're good players.. we could end up with something like this:

Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE):  Guice, Derrius, RB, LSU (A-)             (if he's not available, insert Chubb/Michael)
Round 2 Pick 3 (CLE):  Price, Billy, C/OG, Ohio State (A)       (Likely Price, Corbett, Ragnow available)
Round 2 Pick 12:  Phillips, Harrison, DT, Stanford (A-)            (Likely Phillips, Settle, Hill and I think everyone's favorite, Payne)
Round 4 Pick 9:  Settle, Tim, DT, Virginia Tech (A+)                (won't be available here, but sub with someone else)
Round 5 Pick 5:  Hill, Holton, CB, Texas (A+)                           (from here on out I think these are somewhat accurate available picks)
Round 5 Pick 26:  Coutee, Keke, WR, Texas Tech (A-)
Round 6 Pick 14:  Bozeman, Bradley, C, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13:  Bellamy, Davin, OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 23:  Wims, Javon, WR, Georgia (A+)

With something like this you could shore up all 3 positions of need quite nicely, or even double down on a position if the opportunity presents itself. RB, OL and DL would be effectively fixed by trading down for both of cleveland's 2's... and this doesn't even take into account the possibility of trading one of those two early second rounders for more picks later/next year

The more I think about it, the best possible outcome of this draft would be for Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen to fall to us at 13 and we pick him.

I would really, really, really hate for our front office to look that gift horse in the mouth simply because they panic traded for a 34 year old journeyman stop gap and gave him a big contract.

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Washington-Redskins-2018-Mock-Madness-/ef067c7e-b9da-43f9-b2ec-6abfbcb95d1b

^^ list of all the "experts" picks on who they think the Skins take at 13. The CBS guy has changed his pick 13 times now to generate the 13+ mocks. (I apologize for beating this cbs mock draft thing into the ground).  

Good, well put together list. 

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The more I think about it, the best possible outcome of this draft would be for Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen to fall to us at 13 and we pick him.

I would really, really, really hate for our front office to look that gift horse in the mouth simply because they panic traded for a 34 year old journeyman stop gap and gave him a big contract.

I agree with this.

Alex Smith is good but not great. Like most QB's, if he is going to win a SB, he needs a roster around him. The roster as a whole however is average and some of the best pieces, Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, aren't spring chickens. Our best offensive players are also extremely fragile, Chris Thompson, and Jordan Reed. We also don't seem to be giving any indication that we think we are aware that there is a window to win with our current best players. We seem to be low balling in FA and are not adding any apparent impact FA's. We seem focused on letting people go and obtaining comp picks. 

If we are committed to building through the draft, letting players go for comp picks, and not investing heavily in FA, then we'd be better off swinging for the fences on an elite QB prospect. At least that would give us a much longer window than we have with the soon to be 34yo Alex Smith. 

To be clear, I like Alex Smith and think he can win in the right circumstance. I just have no confidence that the FO is going to surround him with enough talent in the next 2-3 years. 

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Michel certainly looks fast on tape but ran a 4.54 40 at the combine which I was blown away by (not in a good way). I figured him for close to a 4.4 flat dude. Chubb actually ran a faster 40 than Michel did. Not sure what the deal was but he also didn't run it again at his pro day so I guess he's sticking with those numbers.

Chubb did literally EVERYTHING better than Michel at the combine, which if he's healed up, makes sense considering he was an absolutely spectacular prospect in 2014-2015 pre injury. 

Can't find the #'s from their pro day, still digging but pro day #'s need to be discounted compared to the combine, 

Chubb vs Michel:

40 Size Adjusted:

Chubb: 89th Percentile 

Michel: 66th Percentile

Burst Score:

Chubb: 91st Percentile

Michel: No attempt

Agility Score (3 cone):

Chubb: 54th Percentile

Michel: No attempt

Bench Press:

Chubb: 96th Percentile

Michel: 67th Percentile

SPARQ-x:

Chubb: 98th Percentile

Michel: No record due to skipping

Players skip drills typically due to injury or due to the knowledge that their score won't assist them in the process, as such, one can resasonably suspect that Chubb probably was better than Michel at every test Michel didn't take. I was hoping for Pro Day #'s to compare to see if Chubb still topped him. No such luck so far. 

Doesn't match what you see in games, but it also could be that Chubb hadn't gained 100% confidence back in his knee on the field through last fall, but at least had it now, as of the combine off the field. Not sure.

In Barfield's Model, Michel ended up the 2nd best RB prospect behind just Barkley, and also ended up tied first 1st in Pass Pro. So there's that.

Just saw a tweet on the medical red flags in reference to Michel:

2011: Torn ACL

2014: Broken Shoulder Blade and Sprained ankle

2016: Fractured Left Foreman in ATV accident

2017: Sprained Ankle and Knee

@The ConsigliereI was looking around for their Pro Day numbers as well but from what I read all they did were position drills.

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Washington-Redskins-2018-Mock-Madness-/ef067c7e-b9da-43f9-b2ec-6abfbcb95d1b

^^ list of all the "experts" picks on who they think the Skins take at 13. The CBS guy has changed his pick 13 times now to generate the 13+ mocks. (I apologize for beating this cbs mock draft thing into the ground).  

Good, well put together list. 

Haha. That J.P. Finlay quote on Payne. "He's an Alabama D lineman. Those guys are so good for a reason."

So basically "He's from Bama so he's worth a first round pick regardless of what the stats or film says".  *facepalm*

Archived