Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Watching this stupid ESPN reporter mock draft and just waiting for Keim to say Vita Vea.I don't think the Redskins have not really shown too much interest in him besides a recent visit. Would be very surprised if he's the guy.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So now they announce the Caps will be playing Thursday night.  So torn as to what to do.

Well if you have the chance to go to a playoff game, then go. The draft is always a disappointment, unless you can go to the draft. Unfortunately it's in Dallas this year...

2 minutes ago, JWB said:

Watching this stupid ESPN reporter mock draft and just waiting for Keim to say Vita Vea.I don't think the Redskins have not really shown too much interest in him besides a recent visit. Would be very surprised if he's the guy.

Well if you have the chance to go to a playoff game, then go. The draft is always a disappointment, unless you can go to the draft. Unfortunately it's in Dallas this year...

I don't have a chance to go to either event.  I always like watching the draft though.  But the pomp and circumstance they have added to it in recent years has decreased the enjoyment.  I like watching who takes who, etc though.  But playoff hockey is a big deal to.  My last place I had it set up so I could watch up to 4 TV's at once so it wouldn't be an issue.  Now I only have 1.  :(

I think this whole BPA thing is way overrated.  We HAVE TO fill our massive holes and not draft a player (regardless if they are a stud) at a position that is already strong or fairly strong. We have 3 MUST HAVE needs, Nose Tackle, Running Back and Left Guard. We could probably use a Slot Cornerback but I don't see that being as big a need as the 3 that I mentioned.  I think the smart thing to do is to sign Hankins while he's still available. That way, he and Phil Taylor have the NT position sewn up and we eliminate a need. Take Guice with that 1st round pick. If you don't think he'll last, take him at 13. If you think he will survive a bit longer, trade down a few picks and pick up an extra 2nd. Either way, whether you have to trade down or trade up, I would try to add an extra 2nd this year. Then you go get that left Guard and you still have another 2nd to go in many directions with. Perhaps you add another WR or TE. Maybe you grab that Slot Corner. Maybe a Pass Rushing Defensive End. If we're smart and with a little luck, we could come out of this thing in very good shape. 

10 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I think this whole BPA thing is way overrated.  We HAVE TO fill our massive holes and not draft a player (regardless if they are a stud) at a position that is already strong or fairly strong. We have 3 MUST HAVE needs, Nose Tackle, Running Back and Left Guard. We could probably use a Slot Cornerback but I don't see that being as big a need as the 3 that I mentioned.  I think the smart thing to do is to sign Hankins while he's still available. That way, he and Phil Taylor have the NT position sewn up and we eliminate a need. Take Guice with that 1st round pick. If you don't think he'll last, take him at 13. If you think he will survive a bit longer, trade down a few picks and pick up an extra 2nd. Either way, whether you have to trade down or trade up, I would try to add an extra 2nd this year. Then you go get that left Guard and you still have another 2nd to go in many directions with. Perhaps you add another WR or TE. Maybe you grab that Slot Corner. Maybe a Pass Rushing Defensive End. If we're smart and with a little luck, we could come out of this thing in very good shape. 

This is a joke right?

21 minutes ago, JWB said:

We showed zero interest in Doctson or Sheriff. But I don't want Vea, not at 13. I'd prefer one of the other stud defenders falling to us.

6 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

This is a joke right?

We showed zero interest in Doctson or Sheriff. But I don't want Vea, not at 13. I'd prefer one of the other stud defenders falling to us.

Not a joke at all. WHY do you not like that idea?  

ESPN running a mock draft.  I take that one more seriously because they had the beat reporters of each team making the choices.  I'd presume they are all somewhat plugged in.

Fitzpatrick, James, R. Smith, Vea, gone by 13.  But Keim had a choice of Payne, Edwards, Ward.  He took Edwards.  IMO that is hands down the way to go working the board he had.

I’m not against Vea as some of you seem to be. I know people on here have watched tape on him and are convinced he’s lazy and just a big body ... but if this staff drafts him it’s with the understanding that Manuski thinks he can work with him. I trust that. 

I keep hearing how he’s Haloti Ngata but better. For crying out loud ... our run defense and defense in general last year was really good when Allen and Ion were healthy. We had no NT. Put Vea in there and play him to his ceiling and our Front 3 should be dominant. Makes everyone better.

id love Minkah and Guice but I truly don’t think any player in this draft (that will be available to us) can have more of an overall impact than Vea. 

If you told me last March that we’d spend 17 on Allen and 13 in 2018 on a clone of Haloti Ngata after neglecting the DL for decades ... I’d take it all day long. Let’s not get greedy. 

Vea - Chubb - Teller. Let’s get er done 

Or Vea - Price - Walton

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m not against Vea as some of you seem to be. I know people on here have watched tape on him and are convinced he’s lazy and just a big body ... but if this staff drafts him it’s with the understanding that Manuski thinks he can work with him. I trust that. 

I keep hearing how he’s Haloti Ngata but better. For crying out loud ... our run defense and defense in general last year was really good when Allen and Ion were healthy. We had no NT. Put Vea in there and play him to his ceiling and our Front 3 should be dominant. Makes everyone better.

id love Minkah and Guice but I truly don’t think any player in this draft (that will be available to us) can have more of an overall impact than Vea. 

If you told me last March that we’d spend 17 on Allen and 13 in 2018 on a clone of Haloti Ngata after neglecting the DL for decades ... I’d take it all day long. Let’s not get greedy. 

Or Vea - Price - Walton

I agree. If your getting anything close to Ngata you pull the trigger.

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't have a chance to go to either event.  I always like watching the draft though.  But the pomp and circumstance they have added to it in recent years has decreased the enjoyment.  I like watching who takes who, etc though.  But playoff hockey is a big deal to.  My last place I had it set up so I could watch up to 4 TV's at once so it wouldn't be an issue.  Now I only have 1.  :(

You can get everything you need to know about the draft from checking your phone.  It's not worth skipping a game for.

6 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Watch the draft on your laptop? C'mon man it's 2018.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You can get everything you need to know about the draft from checking your phone.  It's not worth skipping a game for.

I think I am going with @Burgold's idea.  A good reason to go to a bar should never be wasted.

44 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Or Vea - Price - Walton

You're assuming that Manuski has a big say in the draft. Not saying he has zero say but I doubt he's a main contributor when it comes down to who they actually pick. And it isn't just the game tape. Why do I keep having to recount how he essentially was too lazy to do his school work and almost couldn't play in college because of it until the coaching staff basically forced him to do it by staying on his ass all the time? THAT'S A RED FLAG. That's a dude who obviously has serious issues with motivation. In the NFL nobody is going to follow him around all the time making sure he is doing a bunch of studying and practicing technique, or watching film. If he doesn't do those things then he WILL just be a fat body. And given his past I think it's quite possible.

And please...who has said that he's a better prospect than Haloti Ngata? That's one of the most ludicrous things I've heard. I remember watching Ngata in college and in the draft process in 06. He was LIGHT YEARS better than Vea as far as technique, moves, leverage, motor, all sorts of things. It drives me nuts because every time one of these athletic behemoths comes out they get overdrafted because tons of people say "Oh, maybe THIS guy will be the next Ngata!" and it just never happens. The only guy who's actually come close to living up to where he was drafted is Poe and he's very good but isn't Ngata. People were saying the same exact **** about Danny Shelton. "The next Ngata!" Now he's a 1st round bust and just got traded for next to nothing. And there were plenty of people here screaming for us to try and get Shelton that year because like now, they believed that the big behemoth would come in and basically immediately solve our problems on the DL.

5 hours ago, zoony said:

The scenario that i dont think the blogosphere and skins fans are talking about is what if one of the top 4 QBs slides and is there at 13...

Not a lot of discussion of it.  I think most have assumed for the past few months that Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen would go top twelve.

Now there has been a lot of talk about how Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen might take an Aaron Rodgers-like slide in the draft.  If one of those two makes it to 13, we better pick him.  But we won't, because we're a bad franchise who routinely ****s up the QB position.

1 hour ago, JWB said:

If you were really interested in a specific player, do you think it makes sense to let everyone know?

If it were me I would be finding out what the needs of the teams drafting after us are and then I would be leaking info that I'm interested in those players.

I would never leak that I'm interested in a player that I really want, nothing good can come of it.

Naturally the Eagles beat guy takes Guice.  Geez, yeah it would be wild as someone said the other day if we have Barkley, Elliot, and Guice in our division.  If this defense thinks Darkwa is a handful wait till they have to deal with that group.

Guice to the Eagles is getting as hot as something that is going down as Giants taking Barkley.  if the Redskins don't trade down and take him -- hopefully someone else does before the Eagles pick. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You're assuming that Manuski has a big say in the draft. Not saying he has zero say but I doubt he's a main contributor when it comes down to who they actually pick. And it isn't just the game tape. Why do I keep having to recount how he essentially was too lazy to do his school work and almost couldn't play in college because of it until the coaching staff basically forced him to do it by staying on his ass all the time? THAT'S A RED FLAG. That's a dude who obviously has serious issues with motivation. In the NFL nobody is going to follow him around all the time making sure he is doing a bunch of studying and practicing technique, or watching film. If he doesn't do those things then he WILL just be a fat body. And given his past I think it's quite possible.

And please...who has said that he's a better prospect than Haloti Ngata? That's one of the most ludicrous things I've heard. I remember watching Ngata in college and in the draft process in 06. He was LIGHT YEARS better than Vea as far as technique, moves, leverage, motor, all sorts of things. It drives me nuts because every time one of these athletic behemoths comes out they get overdrafted because tons of people say "Oh, maybe THIS guy will be the next Ngata!" and it just never happens. The only guy who's actually come close to living up to where he was drafted is Poe and he's very good but isn't Ngata. People were saying the same exact **** about Danny Shelton. "The next Ngata!" Now he's a 1st round bust and just got traded for next to nothing. 

daniel jeremiah said it and he was a Ravens scout when Ngata was drafted...Are you some pro scout or work for a NFL team? All you do is put down every player that someone else likes..So for the record who is the player that you think should be drafted at 13?

23 minutes ago, bh32 said:

daniel jeremiah said it and he was a Ravens scout when Ngata was drafted...Are you some pro scout or work for a NFL team? All you do is put down every player that someone else likes..So for the record who is the player that you think should be drafted at 13?

Jeremiah said that there were elements of Vea's game that reminded him of Ngata, not that he's a better prospect than Ngata. And sure there are. But you can say that about pretty much any athletic behemoth that comes out. When I watched Ngata play in college and I watch Vea play now I see two players on completely different levels. No, I'm not a pro scout, but I do know that every time these huge athletic guys come out there are always people who throw Ngata out there. And it just never happens. Outside of Ngata and maybe Poe these guys never live up to their draft place. Add in possible character/motivational issues and Vea is a huge risk. Payne I would stay away from completely.

And I don't put down every player someone else likes. I have guys I like and guys I don't. I agree with people plenty on here about plenty of prospects but Vea and Payne are sticking points for me because I just think they're so overrated and are going to end up way overdrafted. Vea because he's the next huge athletic dude who everyone thinks will be that magical unicorn who will instantly transform their line because....he's big and can move, and Payne because he played for Bama and people decided to jump on his hype train and ride it into the sunset, mostly because of his performance in one bowl game, despite (IMO) his game film overall being mediocre and his stats/production being downright laughably bad. 

As far as at 13, a few options. Hopefully a true blue chipper falls to us like Fitz, Smith (even though I'm not sure he'd fit our scheme as we already have a pure 3-4 Mike ILB), James, or Edmunds (though I have concerns about Edmunds...he's super super raw and has some serious flaws in his game but his athleticism and instincts are off the charts), etc. In that case you take them. I really like Guice and I'd definitely take him at 13 over Vea or Payne but I'd prefer to be able to trade back a little and still snag him. My biggest hope is that Vea is taken before us and that helps to push one of the blue chip guys down. 

Now, I could be completely wrong about Vea. It's a toss up. Will he be motivated now and will he be willing to put in the work to become great? Or will he just figure he can coast by purely on his size and athleticism like he does in college? Will he put in the extra film work to refine his game? How coachable is he? As I've said before a guy being big alone means nothing when he gets to the NFL. If he just tries the same stuff as he did in college he'll get stonewalled by most good NFL G/Cs who have good technique. You can't just take a fat boy, throw him out there, and say "ok run stopping problem solved!" in the pros. High school? Almost always. College? Definitely can work. NFL? No way.

Archived