Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

6 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Sure I'd like to trade back and get more picks, but if that isn't an option I think he's the best choice at 13 assuming Fitz and James are gone.

Add Edmunds to that list of players you can't pass on if they fall to the 13th pick overall

My gut is they either trade down, or its one of these three guys. McGinn quoting scouts on these guys.

DERWIN JAMES, “He’s not a master of all trades but he’s pretty damn good at everything,” one scout said. “Everyone used to want one safety to be a hammer. Now everyone wants cover guys. That’s why I think he’s going to move up and be more of a cover guy from the linebacker position or a close-up safety. You can put him out and have him cover a big wide receiver or a tight end whether they can run or not. But he can’t cover those quick, shifty slot guys. He’s a little bit leggy.” Five-star recruit from Haines City, Fla. Started eight games at SS in 2015 before blowing out his knee in Game 2 of ’16. Returned as the FS in ’17, starting 12 games. “He wasn’t playing 100% this year,” a second scout said. “He’s a true interchangeable safety. He can play on the hash and cover ground. Yet he can come down to the slot and cover. He’s what you want. He’s a stud.”  “He was kind of disappointing,” a third scout said. “You’re basing it on what he did as a freshman. An ACL takes a full year to come back.”

MINKAH FITZPATRICK, Possibly coach Nick Saban’s favorite player in his Alabama tenure. Saban told Sports Illustrated that Fitzpatrick was the “prototype” of a modern college defensive back. “Reminds me of Eric Berry from an interview and character standpoint,” one scout said. “He can be a great safety. He’s got better coverage ability than Eric Berry. I don’t see him as good as Ronnie Lott … for all the hype he gets he’s very down to earth. He has played all the DB positions. That hurt him in a sense. If you can concentrate on one position you can be great at it.” Third-year junior immediately learned the defense. Started 38 of 42 games, finishing with 171 tackles (16 for loss), nine picks, four touchdowns and 35 PBUs. “He’s a vocal guy but he’s not leader-like,” said a second scout. “He’s not the juice man, I guess you (could) say. He’ll have some trouble with more sudden guys now and then. 

TREMAINE EDMUNDS “I said he’s Brian Urlacher because of his size, speed and range,” said one scout. “Anthony Barr is a good comparison. He does anything you want. He can run, he can stack, he can use his arms, he’s got eyes and he’s a great person. A slam dunk.” His father, Ferrell, played tight end for the Dolphins and Seahawks from 1988-’94 and went to two Pro Bowls. Has the longest arms (34 ½ inches) at the position. “You like the length and athletic ability and the speed,” a second scout said. “Just kind of raw. Just has to hone his game.” Finished with 226 tackles (35 for loss) and 10 sacks. Played inside in the Hokies’ 4-2 base defense. “He is easily the best athlete,” a third scout said. “He will run and he will hit. But I’ll tell you what. He has marginal instincts. But he’s so fast and so quick that he can recover. He makes a mistake instinctive-wise by taking a false step but he will get off the block and chase the guy down.” 

I don't know why, but my biggest "holy crap" pick right now is IF the Browns stand pat at #4 ... that they take Edmunds.

Check out their roster/depth chart. They're running a 4-3. They've got really solid depth and youth all across the board. They traded Danny Shelton but have Larry Ogunjobi and Caleb Brantley at DT ... 2 guys a lot of people on here were super high on the last 2 years coming out and wanted the Skins to draft. The Browns are similarly positioned across the board except for one position group: LB

They have Jaime Collins, but otherwise have a very weak and unimpressive depth chart at LB. No other positional group or layer on offense or defense is as sparse as LB.

I think they'd be best served trading back with Buffalo or Miami and then moving back up ahead of Chicago to take Edmunds if they really want him. But if no trade presents itself for them at #4, I wouldn't be shocked if they took Edmunds there.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eric Galko, Sporting News, just on 106.7.  He said he heard if Minkah Fitzpatrick drops, that's their guy.  Their back up is Vea. 

Minkah very well could (and should) be their guy if he falls. If you told me back in January when all this draft talk started and everyone had Minkah penciled in at #4 that he'd be there at #13, I'd be ecstatic. But I feel like there's a lot of people saying he's our guy if he's there, which seems to be an odd thing to put out so consistently. I wonder if we're trying to elicit a trade from someone who wants him, like the Chargers, who's #1 need is FS. Or a team in the 20's like the Titans who might be willing to come get him and give us their 2nd.

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sounds like minkah Fitzpatrick could be our guy..

Derwin James won't make it past the Buccaneers something about them and the Panthers excuse me Jaguars going with local kids with first pics

This is what I've seen as well.

Derwin is their pick unless Barkley/Chubb/Nelson falls.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eric Galko, Sporting News, just on 106.7.  He said he heard if Minkah Fitzpatrick drops, that's their guy.  Their back up is Vea. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  If both are gone, then guessing they'll try and trade down.  IF they get either Fitz or Vea, then got to think Chubb/Penny as their 2nd round pick.

Wonder how much it will hold true that this will be a draft where people trading down do so at the expense of losing "value" on the pick because of the perceived quality of the mid-round talents.

So if the Redskins are the ones working the phones to make a trade, where in the past they'd hold out for a 2nd rounder ... maybe they'll take a 3rd and 4th this year to make the move.

34 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

Add Edmunds to that list of players you can't pass on if they fall to the 13th pick overall

I love how versatile and athletic Edmunds is and what a playmaker he is but the number of times he seems to take false steps and gets really fooled badly by play action worries me a bit. But that's stuff that can be coached up. He needs to learn to read and react better to keys and to what's going on in the OL, etc. because, while he makes lots of big plays, there are also lots of plays he completely takes himself out of by being fooled or taking false steps and not being able to fully recover. I don't think it's a huge deal though because from everything I've read he's a high character kid and a hard worker so he can be coached up.

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't know why, but my biggest "holy crap" pick right now is IF the Browns stand pat at #4 ... that they take Edmunds.

Judging by scuttle butt.  Tampa. SF.  And the Dolphins could have the most influence on our night.  If the goal is one of these guys: James, Fitzpatrick, Edmonds, R. Smith.

Tampa as its been said here supposedly like Derwin James.  But if Nelson falls to their pick they'd take him.

SF supposedly wants R. Smith but if he's not there Edmonds.

Dolphins supposedly like Rosen, Vea, D. James, M. Fitzpatrick.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dolphins supposedly like Rosen, Vea, D. James, M. Fitzpatrick.

Also heard last week that the Dolphins would take Smith if he falls to them.

I've also heard Smith could be a sleeper to go higher than expected, possibly to Indy at 6.

Wonder what the true odds are of a Nelson fall. Can't imagine it happening, but every year there's someone. Last year we lucked out with Allen being exactly what we needed and falling.

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Also heard last week that the Dolphins would take Smith if he falls to them.

I've also heard Smith could be a sleeper to go higher than expected, possibly to Indy at 6.

Wonder what the true odds are of a Nelson fall. Can't imagine it happening, but every year there's someone. Last year we lucked out with Allen being exactly what we needed and falling.

The key is for McGlinchey to enter the top 12, which seems to be staying as a hot possibility.

Derwin James to Tampa is hot.

R. Jones going high is hot

Bills trading up remains hot

Q. Nelson = Bears if he falls

Denver trading down remains hot

Some talk now that the Giants-Barkley stuff is a smoke screen.

Just heard Browns down to Mayfield-Allen -- if so Giants take Darnold or Bills trade the farm to move up there?

Raiders-Dolphins flirting with Vea

Scot MccloughanVerified account @MccloughanScot
FollowingFollowing @MccloughanSco
More

Merry Draftmas Eve, we're going to do some damage. #DawgPound

Newy Scruggs Retweeted JP Finlay

Washington gotta trade up for James and Fitzpatrick.

Newy Scruggs added,

JP FinlayVerified account @JPFinlayNBCS
Good read, should help fans understand the critique that Vita can only be on the field about 40 percent of game, value of MInkah and Derwin https://buff.ly/2HYz8fr 

Not sure. 4 QBs. Saquon, Chubb and Nelson makes 7. If an OT or Landry sneaks in Top 10, Minkah or Derwin def make it to 13.

LOL I forgot Scot was in Cleveland.. I'm sure he'd rather burn in hell than be any sort of trade down partner for the skins.

Indy may be a good trade partner, they have 3 second round picks, they could land one stud at 6 and another at 13 if they so chose, as well as still have a second round pick. They have picks #36, #37 and #49 in the 2nd.. however them trading 36 and 37 will still short the redskins about 100 pts.. Maybe they'd be willing to do it by throwing in a pick next year, if someone was there they really really liked

Guess it goes something like this

1. Cleveland Browns - QB 
2. New York Giants - Chubb
3. New York Jets - QB
4. Cleveland Browns - Edmunds
5. Denver Broncos - Trade down to 12. Bills take QB
6. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Derwin James
8. Chicago Bears - Roquon Smith
9. San Francisco 49ers trade down, cowboys trade up for Calvin Ridley
10. Oakland Raiders - DJ Clark 
11. Miami Dolphins - Vita Vea
12. Buffalo Bills trade up, Denver picks Saquon Barkley

Leaves best on the board

Daron Payne
Denzel Ward
Minkah Fitzpatrick

lol

21 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Guess it goes something like this

1. Cleveland Browns - QB 
2. New York Giants - Chubb
3. New York Jets - QB
4. Cleveland Browns - Edmunds
5. Denver Broncos - Trade down to 12. Bills take QB
6. Indianapolis Colts - Quenton Nelson
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Derwin James
8. Chicago Bears - Roquon Smith
9. San Francisco 49ers trade down, cowboys trade up for Calvin Ridley
10. Oakland Raiders - DJ Clark 
11. Miami Dolphins - Vita Vea
12. Buffalo Bills trade up, Denver picks Saquon Barkley

Leaves best on the board

Daron Payne
Denzel Ward
Minkah Fitzpatrick

lol

If Barkley falls all the way to 12, don't you HAVE to try and trade up one spot and get him ??   Is this even a remote possibility?

I think the best players in the draft are Chubb, Nelson and Fitzpatrick. If there was a sniff at any of them I would be ecstatic. If I was Cleveland I would seriously go Chubb and Nelson at 1 & 4

I think we will trade down and go for a RB if Fitzpatrick isn't there.

4 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

Say Barkley does fall to pick 7 or 8 -- would you trade this year's 1+2 and maybe a 3 next year to move up for him? 

Not a chance. Build the team.

4 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Here is the problem with it. I'm not directing this at you but many including myself do not think Payne even sniffs being one of the best NT's in the draft. There are many other quality NT out there that don't have Alabama on their jersey and very many people on this board only see the crimson tide as the only way to get a good lineman. It's like no one thinks that any NT's exist after Vea and Payne and its maddening.

It might have to do with him being the best nose on a historically best run defense and checking every physical and mental box possible, as well as playing his best during the most important games. 

Here is two opinions about why taking Barkley at number two makes little sense for the Giants 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23297367/2018-nfl-draft-new-york-giants-really-take-saquon-barkley-second-overall-pick

now I’m just guessing posting that draft list but ask yourself do you think it’s wise to take a guy at number two who suddenly is gonna get paid the most guarenteed money in the league without ever playing a down at his position?

No but that’s what it means with Barkley going second overall. That’s what the rookie wage scale was trying to stop. Two of the top five paid RBs were drafted the past two years. Why not trade out of two to a QB needy team and avoid a bad financial situation

Not sure I buy the Vea to Redskins hype. I will take a risk and go on record saying it's a bluff. My bet is we'd love a high impact DB at 13, clearly assuming a stud like Nelson doesn't drop. Also, prior to his 'average' combine showing, Josh Jackson was touted as being high on our list.

I think we are into Payne but he is only an option via trade back from 13 or a trade back up from 44. If the cupboard is 'empty' at 13 of those high impact DBs, trade back, end up with Payne, Josh Jackson and Jones at RB....

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Not sure I buy the Vea to Redskins hype. I will take a risk and go on record saying it's a bluff. My bet is we'd love a high impact DB at 13, clearly assuming a stud like Nelson doesn't drop. Also, prior to his 'average' combine showing, Josh Jackson was touted as being high on our list.

I think we are into Payne but he is only an option via trade back from 13 or a trade back up from 44. If the cupboard is 'empty' at 13 of those high impact DBs, trade back, end up with Payne, Josh Jackson and Jones at RB....

I could see this... forcing a team ahead of us to take Vea who may have originally planned on trading back.  Produce a bit of hype in the hope of having a top tier DB fall to 13. 

Archived