Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to drop back. There's maybe 10 elite players in this draft and we have a shot at one. We don't have that kind of talent on our team and it shows. 

There's part of me that's with you. The injury plague last year showed that this team has pretty darn good depth. We have a really solid foundation of average to above average players. We are lacking in good players and great players. The question though is what would be the draft haul? If you can go down a peg or two and still get a really good guy because some team is desperate for another player and secure an extra 2nd or 3rd it's probably worth it, but that's only if you think that the guy you can get still has that good-great potential.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

There's part of me that's with you. The injury plague last year showed that this team has pretty darn good depth. We have a really solid foundation of average to above average players. We are lacking in good players and great players. The question though is what would be the draft haul? If you can go down a peg or two and still get a really good guy because some team is desperate for another player and secure an extra 2nd or 3rd it's probably worth it, but that's only if you think that the guy you can get still has that good-great potential.

I was a bit disconnected from the storms for a while, but didn't we look really good on defense until injuries made us look like the same old soft defense? 

Sounds like our depth sucks. When you look at most teams that you worry about on the schedule, you ever say to yourself "that team sure has a lot of mediocre depth?". 

6 hours ago, FrFan said:

NFL Draft Notes - April 25, Part II

"The latest buzz on the day before the draft with the most recent news and chatter we are hearing.

* Several people I’ve spoken with tell me defensive tackle Vita Vea is making a rise up draft boards and could end up in the top 10 on Thursday night. The Tampa Bay Bucs were very hot on Vea early in the process, and the Oakland Raiders have have been poking around recently and showing late interest in the defensive tackle. To make sure proper credit is given, I did catch a glimpse of ESPN's mock draft last night, and their Raiders beat reporter had the team taking Vea."

No Payne no gain, I guess.

Vea is far from my top guy at 13 but I wouldn't hate it at all.   The whole personality drill -- I don't think we could gauge a guy that closely via stuff we read on the Internet especially if the rap is good person but is he a bit lazy?  Bad guy and maybe lazy (like Haynesworth) -- totally different subject IMO.   

It's one thing if we read about teammates not liking him and off field stuff which is part of the reason why I bashed for example Malik McDowell in the pre-draft process last year.  But Vea is known as a good guy.  i listened to a podcast that interviewed a guy who covered Vea in college, said great guy, teammates like him, thinks he will be a star in the NFL.  His defensive coordinator said he matured a lot this last season -- was in the film room a lot, leader in the locker room.

NFL teams interview people around a player to death.  So if Vea is truly a hot commodity maybe a top 10 pick -- I doubt its because teams are missing out on glaring red flags that we can find on the Internet and we are trying to extrapolate meaning from.  I am not saying teams can't get it wrong on Vea or anyone else but they are working with lots more information than we are.  So if the Redskins or whomever else takes Vea early -- I'll trust it.   They are all doing their homework.  As teams delve deeper on some prospects -- seems like some guys are rising and some are falling.  Vea seems to be one of the guys that is rising -- so I'd presume it isn't driven by the more we dig deep, the less we like -- but instead the opposite, the more we dig, the more we like.

I am not saying I got any clue about Vea's work ethic.  Just saying the proof (as for homework on this) will be in the pudding for where he's drafted for better or worse. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/01/vita-vea-draft-combine-size-speed-40-time-washington-first-round

Huskies defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski used Vea everywhere on the line. He played nose. He played on the inside and outside eye of the guard. He lined up at defensive end.

“His stats don’t tell the story of how destructive he is,” says Texas assistant Clay McGuire, who coached Washington State’s offensive line for the past six seasons and faced Vea three times. Indeed, Vea’s 2017 numbers were pedestrian (44 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks), but that didn’t stop Pac-12 head coaches from voting him the league’s Defensive Player of the Year.

Those coaches voted for Vea because he ate up two and sometimes three blockers at a time and allowed linebackers to roam unhindered for a defense that led the conference and finished tied for third in the nation in yards per play allowed (4.42). They also voted for him because they spent game weeks wondering if he’d toss their offensive linemen into a handoff or chase down their tailbacks from behind. “It gets kind weird when you look at that film and you see a 340-pounder running with a 200-pound linebacker and we get to the ball at the same time,” Washington linebacker Keishawn Bierria says. “Something’s wrong here.”

That’s probably what UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen thought this past season when he squirted through the line of scrimmage expecting a much bigger gain only to have Vea trip him up from behind. Shortly after that, UCLA’s left guard tried to pass off a stunting Vea to the left tackle, and Vea blew through both blockers and buried Rosen for a sack.

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really don't want to drop back. There's maybe 10 elite players in this draft and we have a shot at one. We don't have that kind of talent on our team and it shows. 

Ugggh..I'm stuck in-between not wanting to drop back to be able to nab one of these elite players but on the other hand I'd really love to get that third round pick back..plus an extra 2nd rounder if possible...

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was a bit disconnected from the storms for a while, but didn't we look really good on defense until injuries made us look like the same old soft defense? 

Sounds like our depth sucks. When you look at most teams that you worry about on the schedule, you ever say to yourself "that team sure has a lot of mediocre depth?". 

So wouldn't this make you want to drop down and pick up extra pics for the depth?

30 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I simply cannot deny the athletic category he is in, coupled with the obvious plus attribute game tape, buttressed by the positional importance. 

That's good company.  One of the things that jumps off the tape about him to me is the way he hits.  He closes hard but he still keeps his head up and uses his hands and he forces a ton of fumbles as a result.  He is an instinctive playmaker at the position.

You're right that he's good value at 13.  If it weren't a year with five first round QBs, he'd probably go high.  But I'm not married to him (or anyone really) because I don't love some of his flaws.  I don't love his height and I don't love his run defense.  I don't think he gives good effort on run downs and he is not aggressive with his hands.  He lets guys latch on to him and then quits.  There's some softness there.

If you're getting Vic Beasley at 13, then you run to the podium.  But I got to watch a lot of Vic Beasley, including in person, and that guy was a lot stronger than people gave him credit for being.  If he's Bruce Irvin instead, then the value is still probably OK but it isn't as nice.

Clear as mud, should be fun!

Sure, for months draft experts have expounded about what will happen, but the truth is, once the Browns are on the clock, nobody actually knows anything. 

With that in mind, let's look at a bunch of options that should not shock Redskins fans. 

• Don't be shocked if Washington takes Minkah Fitzpatrick. They want him.
  • Don't be shocked if the Redskins draft Da'Ron Payne over Vita Vea. Washington loves Payne's potential to be a disruptor in the pass game and his incredible strength. 
  • Then again, don't be shocked if the 'Skins take Vita. Plenty of folks like him too. 
  • Don't be shocked if a team makes a move for Louisville QB Lamar Jackson. That could happen after the Redskins pick at 13, but Washington's pick could also prove important in the race for the former Heisman Trophy winner.
  • Derwin James will be on the 'Skins list, but don't be shocked if he goes off the board before the Redskins pick. 
  • Don't be shocked with a trade back, but remember that isn't the goal. With four QBs expected in the Top 10, an elite talent should make it to Washington at 13. If that happens, the Redskins should tke advantage of adding a blue chip to their squad. 
  • Don't be shocked if Virginia Tech LB Tremaine Edmunds ends up wearing the Redskins draft hat. Also, don't be shocked if he plays some outside linebacker in the Washington 3-4 scheme, not just the inside LB role most project for Edmunds. 

There are some things Redskins fans should be shocked by. 

• Washington should not trade up. 
  • Washington should not draft a running back at 13 unless Saquon Barley is available. He won't be.
  • Washington should not draft a wide receiver at 13. 
  • If one of the top four QBs is available at 13, Washington should vigorously work the phones to move the pick. Move down a few spots and get Payne should be the exact plan in that scenario. Arizona at 15 needs a QB. 

Today is the day and I'm more excited than ever. I have been on this board for a long time and this is the first time I have gotten deep into the weeds like this. I would like to thank all of you guys for peaking my interest. I usually look up the picks post draft and go look at clips..... This has been enlightening.  Let the testicular tingling begin.  

31 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ugggh..I'm stuck in-between not wanting to drop back to be able to nab one of these elite players but on the other hand I'd really love to get that third round pick back..plus an extra 2nd rounder if possible...

So wouldn't this make you want to drop down and pick up extra pics for the depth?

Yeah, same, but we have only had one elite player on the defense in the past 25 years and it's an obvious hole. 

27 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

@Koolblue13 What kind of rum are going with today homeslice? 

Cruzian Single Barrel. Drinks like bourbon only smoother. Good to see ya. 

This is a weird pass rusher class.  Landry is the best pure pass rusher but he's coming off a year where he mailed it in and then got hurt. 

Chubb is the consensus top guy and a lock to go top five but people have seemingly ignored the fact that his first step is just OK and he's stiff and top heavy and can't bend the edge.  He's a Johnny try-hard power rusher.  A Ryan Kerrigan.  I get that he's a safe pick in an uncertain class but guys like him don't live up to their draft slot when they go top five.  See Chris Long.

Arden Key has the best combination of length, get off burst, and agility but he sucks.  Not a football player.

Davenport has a mediocre first step and change of direction skills and his instincts look ordinary.  Meh production against inferior competition who couldn't match up with him physically.

Da'Shawn Hand is a JAG who never lived up to the recruiting hype.

Feels like if we don't get Landry then we should sit this pass rusher class out.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cruzian Single Barrel. Drinks like bourbon only smoother. Good to see ya. 

I like that Cruzan aged rum, and I like the price even better.  I like Mt Gay rum too.

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hate uncertainty. I’d be in favor of trading up to draft Minkah and signing Hankins. That’s a legit defense and we could spend our 2nd and 4th round pics on the O.

You think we'd be able to keep our 2nd and 4th round picks on a trade up?  No way.

I'm not for trading up at all in this draft.  If Fitz, Ward, or James aren't there at 13, trade back if at all possible.

I hope we get a defensive lineman.  But if a quarterback is available at pick 13 then Skins need to consider it because I do not see Alex being around for more than two years.   If it is a quarterback they like, then we could be in for a surprise tonight.  If they think there are no Carson Wentz type quarterbacks in the draft then they should go with a defense pick.

Intellectually, I know that’s a good option. Sometimes it doesn’t pan out though. Trading back and passing on JJ Watt for instance. 

Im not sure how I feel about James. I’m not as confident in his ability as a coverage safety. 

I like Reid much better in the second round, tape supposedly graded highly as a single high safety. Crazy good combine numbers. I don’t get the feeling that we are that interested in safety however. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Feels like if we don't get Landry then we should sit this pass rusher class out.

Turay can bend. Has awesome Gumby lean, flexibility. Also looks a lot like Galette. And has hand technique, can work combo moves. And he's got burst. Instinctive flatten out ability to QB. 

I found myself cheering for him when watching film. Knew then he was a greelight for me. 

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hate uncertainty. I’d be in favor of trading up to draft Minkah and signing Hankins. That’s a legit defense and we could spend our 2nd and 4th round pics on the O.

??? What 2d round pick? Or do you expect teams to accept our 1st and a ham sandwich. Trading up for anyone not named Barkley or Nelson would be astronomically stupid.

10 minutes ago, nonniey said:

??? What 2d round pick? Or do you expect teams to accept our 1st and a ham sandwich. Trading up for anyone not named Barkley or Nelson would be astronomically stupid.

Well, there’s always next year’s draft.  Maybe a 2nd or 3rd would be enough to jump a couple spots or so... not that I would choose to go that route.  

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

the 2nd round pick that we have. dont we have one in the 2nd round this year?

Hate to state the obvious, but he was talking about having to give up the 2nd to move up for Fitzpatrick.  

Man, it kills me that don’t have our 3rd rounder this year.  I wonder if a trade back could net us a 1st or 2nd next year plus a 3rd or 4th this year.  Having 2 1st rounders would really up our chances at a top flight qb next year.

Just now, skinny21 said:

Hate to state the obvious, but he was talking about having to give up the 2nd to move up for Fitzpatrick.  

i get that, and couldn't we just swap 1st rounders with someone who's in the top 10? i wouldn't think it would require having to give up our 2nd round pick.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i get that, and couldn't we just swap 1st rounders with someone who's in the top 10? i wouldn't think it would require having to give up our 2nd round pick.

Well, the scenario he was responding to was to move up in the 1st (for Fitzpatrick), and then drafting O with our 2nd and 4th rounders... so what are we trading away to move up?  My guess is that our 2nd rounder is fairly close (or the closest we have) to the draft value.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's always more elite talent in the draft than what we think there is the morning of the first round. There's 10 "elite" players according to the media but somehow elite players pop up rounds 2-7 on a yearly basis. I wouldn't pay too much attention to all the hyperbole. 

Keim on this morning:

Derwin James and Fitzpatrick are their man crushes.  If they aren't at 13 he thinks they go D line -- Vea or Payne.   

He said he started hearing yesterday L. Jackson might crash into the top 12 of picks.

He says the FO knows they are in a win or else mode this year (implication is jobs are on the line) but they are also confident that they have a really good roster.  So Keim wasn't sure how they approach the draft.  In one sense, he thinks they might be willing to trade 2019 picks to help the 2018 roster -- but in another sense they are primary satisfied with the roster so maybe they don't. 

Keim didn't say this directly but listening to multiple beat guys talk about the subject -- to me things almost piece together this way.  Dan is upset about last year.   Bruce, etc blamed it on injuries. If they walk into this season with much of the same roster and they win then it proves their point.  Granted, I am jaded about this FO so I am not into giving them the benefit of the doubt.  But after hearing Keim pushed to talk about this before and based on what he said today -- this draft should be interesting as to how they go about it.  It sounds there might be a backstory cooking in the FO that we might learn about later. 

Brugler just on 106.7 (who is becoming a regular on Grant-Danny) Grant ran players by him and asked if he thought they'd be there at 13.

Derwin James no

R. Smith definitely no

T. Edmonds. no

M. Fitzpatrick. probably no

D. Ward: definitely no.

V. Vea:  yes.  He thinks he's the favorite for the Redskins to pick at 13

He said if Vea is gone, he thinks D. Payne is the guy.  Maybe Fitzpatrick could fall if the Raiders let him slip by them at 10.  If the Notre Dame LT goes top 12 it should help get another guy to drop their way.

Archived