Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Sorry guys, but I don't want Bloomberg anywhere near this race at all! Those of you that are supporting him or are considering supporting him, do you think he will just go away? If he doesn't get the nomination (I doubt he will), will he endorse another Dem candidate or is he going to Hilary everyone? Is he going to run on the Indy ticket and split the vote like Nader? It would be nice to have the ability to reign him in after we have the nominee.

9 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Sorry guys, but I don't want Bloomberg anywhere near this race at all! Those of you that are supporting him or are considering supporting him, do you think he will just go away? If he doesn't get the nomination (I doubt he will), will he endorse another Dem candidate or is he going to Hilary everyone? Is he going to run on the Indy ticket and split the vote like Nader? It would be nice to have the ability to reign him in after we have the nominee.

Well you are going to be disappointed then. Bloomberg has gambled that Biden is going to fade and he will be seen as a viable alternative. He has spent $300 million already in Super Tuesday states; where he’s making his stand. If it works and Bloomberg wins delegates, then he’s going nowhere.

Even if he doesn’t get nomination, he plans to spend his money to stop Trump.

Biden is doing his part by fading. 

Why are they any Democrat supporting Gabbard? She’s not really a Democrat.

I don’t think I know enough about Bloomberg to make a decision yet.  I’ll wait until he’s actually a viable candidate before I concern myself with him.  Let’s at least see him on a debate stage first.

Still on team Pete, glad to see he’s coming around to people and I hope he doesn’t flame out.

23 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well you are going to be disappointed then. Bloomberg has gambled that Biden is going to fade and he will be seen as a viable alternative. He has spent $300 million already in Super Tuesday states; where he’s making his stand. If it works and Bloomberg wins delegates, then he’s going nowhere.

Even if he doesn’t get nomination, he plans to spend his money to stop Trump.

Biden is doing his part by fading. 

Why are they any Democrat supporting Gabbard? She’s not really a Democrat.

what if Bloomberg and Tulsi teamed up and ran independent?

who do you think it would harm most?

Bloomberg isn’t running as an independent. 

With Biden fading and Pete not getting minority support; Bloomberg has an opening. 

Yes, he is trying to buy the nomination and it might work.

Everyone else is focused on the 4 February contests; while Bloomberg is flooding the country with adds for Super Tuesday.

It’s going to be tough for other candidates who don’t have much money or a base of support like Bernie.

When the DNC is over...if all the major losing candidates don't fully and enthusiastically support the nominee...then we should really know who and what those losers are. Especially in light of what they are running against. 

I would hope Mayor Pete backs  Bernie or vice versa if one of them gets the nod. I'd hope they show it through daily support to get their most rabid backers to still effectively vote against Trump. Imo, that will be the most glaring failure of the Democratic party if it doesn't happen.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

With Biden fading and Pete not getting minority support; Bloomberg has an opening. 

Everyone else is focused on the 4 February contests; while Bloomberg is flooding the country with adds for Super Tuesday.

It’s going to be tough for other candidates who don’t have much money or a base of support like Bernie.

I don't want to confuse anyone with my cynicism, if Bloomberg gets the nomination, he gets my vote. Whoever gets the nomination will get my vote. Out of all of the viable candidates (as of right now) Bloomberg is my least favorite. It would be nice to vote for a candidate that I actually believe in and not the lesser of two evils.

Heard an NPR report from NH last night.  Reporter described (for the radio audience) herself opening her jacket to show another panelist her t shirt, which read "Didn't I interview you four years ago?".  Said she'd been wearing it around town all day.  

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

When the DNC is over...if all the major losing candidates don't fully and enthusiastically support the nominee...then we should really know who and what those losers are. Especially in light of what they are running against. 

I would hope Mayor Pete backs  Bernie or vice versa if one of them gets the nod. I'd hope they show it through daily support to get their most rabid backers to still effectively vote against Trump. Imo, that will be the most glaring failure of the Democratic party if it doesn't happen.

I am sure the candidates themselves will but their rabid supporters though; probably won’t listen.

BernieBros aren’t likely to support anyone other than Bernie.

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I don't want to confuse anyone with my cynicism, if Bloomberg gets the nomination, he gets my vote. Whoever gets the nomination will get my vote. Out of all of the viable candidates (as of right now) Bloomberg is my least favorite. It would be nice to vote for a candidate that I actually believe in and not the lesser of two evils.

You don’t get what you always want.

If Trump wasn’t the President and some other GOP person was; the Dem race would’ve gone differently.

The Dems have a diverse future. It’s just this time, the opponent is Satan himself.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Minor bit of anecdotal for y'all this morning- polling places seemed pretty busy. 

That’s a good sign after Iowa was flat.

It should be an interesting evening.

Bernie should win.

How close does Pete get to Bernie or does he pull the upset and win?

If Amy finishes 3rd, her campaign goes on for another week. Otherwise it’s over for her.

Warren is in trouble if she can’t finish 3rd or higher.

How low does Joe finish tonight?

While Bloomberg isn’t on the ballot, he can be written in. What if he gets more write-in votes than Biden and/or Warren?

Should be fun tonight.

Tomorrow the field should shrink some. Still have 11 people in.

If there is one candidate to run third party, we all know that will be Tulsi Gabbard.

Also, supposedly IA did a recount because both Bernie and Pete campaigns asked them to?  

Seriously?  The two guys who won, wanted a recount?  

Kinda expected that from the Bernie camp.  But my opinion of Pete (or his campaign) is lower now.  One thing I liked about him is the feeling I get of . . . calmness?  Realism?  Adulthood?  

59 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Not even if Bernie wins the nomination?

has he said he would support Bernie if he wins?

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Bloomberg has said he wouldn't run Independent because it only split Dem votes and help Trump win 

Did he say that based on the assumption Bernie would not be the nominee though?

Of course the DNC will probably ensure that

15 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Always appreciate your insights. Why do you feel this way?

The tl;dr is that I'm only considering a Bloomberg vote in a disastrous scenario where Bernie hasn't locked up the election by the time we have the "Acela Primary" but every other center-left candidate has fallen off the face of the Earth. Bernie is going to get crushed in Maryland and I intend to vote for the center-left candidate most likely to pick up votes here.

The long version: My politics is mostly free market, social liberalism so I tend to gravitate towards candidates who are speaking to market-focused economic policies.

I liked Elizabeth Warren the most of out everyone in this field because her diagnosis of what is wrong with our market economy has been spot on for decades. I think it's a shame that she got in the "Medicare for All" mud trying to win over some Bernie voters who were never going to consider her. A combination of confused messaging on healthcare and a media that really over-scrutinized her doomed her campaign. I wish she had kept her campaign focused on public and private sector corruption. That's been her defining career issue and she was surging because she focused on it. She lost center-left voters after the Medicare for All confusion and she never gained progressive voters in the Bernie camp. So it seems right now, she's occupying a lane that isn't going to carry her to the nomination.

So the other options with a legitimate chance of winning who are center-left are Biden, Buttigieg, maybe Klobuchar and it seems like Bloomberg has a distant but credible path to winning as well. I'm not fond of any of them tbh but if I had to pick, I would vote for Pete over Bloomberg and Biden I would not vote for in any circumstance for the primaries. I would vote for Klobuchar over Bloomberg. So why even consider Bloomberg? I like Bloomberg's messaging against Trump and I think fundamentally this election is not a referendum on any wonky left wing policies, but against Trump and what an absolutely garbage person with no good ideas he is. Bloomberg is the only person so far who has shown that he can hammer Trump relentlessly and get under his skin. To some extent, if the goal is just destroying Trumpism, Bloomberg has everyone beat on the messaging end. I also like Bloomberg's gun control policies and he's already demonstrated that he can put his money into elections and produce results on this issue. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Also, supposedly IA did a recount because both Bernie and Pete campaigns asked them to?  

Seriously?  The two guys who won, wanted a recount?  

Kinda expected that from the Bernie camp.  But my opinion of Pete (or his campaign) is lower now.  One thing I liked about him is the feeling I get of . . . calmness?  Realism?  Adulthood?  

Ya, didnt you wish they would both come out and say this is good enough?  That's polar opposite of that : /

so i'm the opposite of thrilled with any candidate who falls into the uber-wealthy old white male category, but it's not a deal-breaker and i also have felt some pulls to bloomberg cuz of competence/gravitas and the idea that his issues with acceptance by black voters are not insurmountable nor are his positions on racial issues so obviously and extensively onerous that he needs to be outright rejected because of it

i really can see him being a dominant adversary for trump and trump surrogates

now an idea of what i think would be cool, is if bloomberg gathered enough support to be a real contender and then picked/announced  harris or my fave choice, stacey abrams, for veep

i know harris has value as a sitting senator and the dmes need that but i found her replacement would be any less dem given her district, and stacey may prefer a governor or senator role if she sees one available, but i like the idea of stacey being veep with just about any dem nominee

Stacey Abrams has said she will accept a vp invite. I think she is the clear choice for any white Male candidate. 

I am going to likely vote Bernie in the primary but I think Bloomberg and Abrams would be a winning ticket. Bloomberg is hitting Trump like I wish Biden would have. 

18 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I liked Elizabeth Warren the most of out everyone in this field because her diagnosis of what is wrong with our market economy has been spot on for decades. I think it's a shame that she got in the "Medicare for All" mud trying to win over some Bernie voters who were never going to consider her. A combination of confused messaging on healthcare and a media that really over-scrutinized her doomed her campaign. I wish she had kept her campaign focused on public and private sector corruption. That's been her defining career issue and she was surging because she focused on it. She lost center-left voters after the Medicare for All confusion and she never gained progressive voters in the Bernie camp. So it seems right now, she's occupying a lane that isn't going to carry her to the nomination.

I agree with this and am annoyed that Warren got torpedoed for drawing a roadmap to MFA and Sanders doesn't get harped on the implementation part (I blame you bernie bros.  Now get off my lawn).

Warren and Klobuchar were asked a question on Lawrence O'Donnel's show last night.  Basically the gist was if Congress' power doesn't shift and you get sent a compromise bill that falls short of your legislative agenda (I believe it was tax for Warren), will you veto.  Both said no.  Warren specifically said any law that improves the lives of average Americans she will sign and then she will start on improving it the next day.  That should be the approach of any responsible politician.  

I don't give a rat's ass what any of these candidates plan to do if given a utopian filibuster proof Congress.  I'm sure they will all be vast improvement over the current system.  You'll be lucky to end up with Dem majority in the Senate and that majority will include people like Jones and Manchin.  If every debate question from here to end of the primary season doesn't focus on that reality, moderators should all GTFO and look for new jobs.  MFA?  Wealth tax?  Free college tuition?  What kind of magical liberal fantasy lands are these candidates living in?  You'll be blocked by do nothing Congress and will have to engage in further expansion of the executive presidency.  Tell me what you plan to do under that reality.

Archived