Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

16 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't give a rat's ass what any of these candidates plan to do if given a utopian filibuster proof Congress.  I'm sure they will all be vast improvement over the current system.  You'll be lucky to end up with Dem majority in the Senate and that majority will include people like Jones and Manchin.  If every debate question from here to end of the primary season doesn't focus on that reality, moderators should all GTFO and look for new jobs.  MFA?  Wealth tax?  Free college tuition?  What kind of magical liberal fantasy lands are these candidates living in?  You'll be blocked by do nothing Congress and will have to engage in further expansion of the executive presidency.  Tell me what you plan to do under that reality.

It's the biggest gap in our political debate. I honestly don't care what policies anyone is promoting at this point. They won't be working with a legislative body that is in 100% agreement with them so purity tests at this point are totally meaningless. They'll have some authority with executive orders but none of the big ticket policies can be done through them.

For me, it ultimately is a personality contest at this point sadly. I dislike Bernie's cult of personality and Biden is a gaffe machine who is ill equipped to traverse the 24 hour news cycle that will blow his gaffe's out of proportion. Really hoping someone besides these two can win the nomination.

To add: i think it hurts the candidate... there's a lot of people who walk away only seeing all the money these people want to spend, and by association from whom they will be taking it...

You can say all day long that Sanders and Warren won't get to implement these incredibly expensive programs that will require some combination of drastic tax hikes and budget cuts.... that this shouldn't scare you from them... but if the message both candidates are delivering, when the camera is on them, is that they want to do such things, then that's what people are going to associate with them.

How many people know Warren will sign bills that don't meet her campaign promises so long as they improve the lives of the average american?

How many people know Warren wants to implement incredibly expensive programs?

I bet you get very, very different numbers on those two questions...

--

also, the whining from the Warren campaign about air/talking time is really off putting.

She's dominated air time for months. Her campaign screwed up. Quit your whining. It's making things worse.

seemed to me Warren, Biden, and Sanders dominated air time for the majority of the primary up until now (with oddballs surging at different times for different reasons). I imagine it's because they are the most well known, and they have things that easy for the media to spend lots time on their ideas (The drastic changes Warren and Sanders want play well to headlines and sound bites, and Biden with his connection to the Obama legacy and for a while he was the only one going after Trump)

I could be wrong.

A quick google search got me these three articles:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/leads-speaking-time-presidential-debate-2019/story?id=67837364

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/who-spoke-most-at-democratic-debate-october/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/who-spoke-most-at-democratic-debate-june/

She certainly got a lot of attention in those debates. The two people that spoke more than her in the June debate aren't even in the race anymore, and the difference was 1 minut and 1.6 minutes.

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

seemed to me Warren, Biden, and Sanders dominated air time for the majority of the primary up until now (with oddballs surging at different times for different reasons). I imagine it's because they are the most well known, and they have things that easy for the media to spend lots time on their ideas (The drastic changes Warren and Sanders want play well to headlines and sound bites, and Biden with his connection to the Obama legacy and for a while he was the only one going after Trump)

I could be wrong.

A quick google search got me these three articles:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/leads-speaking-time-presidential-debate-2019/story?id=67837364

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/who-spoke-most-at-democratic-debate-october/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/who-spoke-most-at-democratic-debate-june/

She certainly got a lot of attention in those debates. The two people that spoke more than her in the June debate aren't even in the race anymore, and the difference was 1 minut and 1.6 minutes.

Who talked the most at a debate in June does not equate to “dominated air time for months” in any meaningful fashion whatsoever.

Swing and a miss.

To expand on that, Liz doesn’t get a tremendous amount of coverage because, frankly...she’s kinda boring.  She’s a high-data policy wonk.

But, that’s why I like her.  Polar opposite of 45 and most of her Dem competition, which is refreshing to me.

Might be a fatal flaw in our hyperbolic times, tho.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Who talked the most at a debate in June does not equate to “dominated air time for months” in any meaningful fashion whatsoever.

Swing and a miss.

Her complaint was that she didn’t get enough time in the debates

shes had plenty of time 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Her complaint was that she didn’t get enough time in the debates

shes had plenty of time 

Ehhhh...if you say so.  I know how rare it is for you to be wrong.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kristenorthman/status/1226004582859517953?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.boston.com%2fnews%2fpolitics%2f2020%2f02%2f10%2felizabeth-warren-speaking-time-debate-hampshire

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

your rebuttal to the argument that:

she’s complaining about her lack of time in the most recent debate, but she’s been dominating time up until now and is falling behind for other reasons

was to post a tweet that she was complaining about her lack of time in the most recent debate?

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

your rebuttal to the argument that:

she’s complaining about her lack of time in the most recent debate, but she’s been dominating time up until now and is falling behind for other reasons

was to post a tweet that she was complaining about her lack of time in the most recent debate?

She didn’t complain in the tweet.  Some of her supporters complained...and she was given an opportunity to complain when asked by ABC news, but did not complain.  Furthermore, when she was getting the most time in the debates, there were many complaints that she was “pushy”.

C857A9E5-83EE-47F6-B8D2-443569B55A34.png

And theres no argument here, you know I think quite highly of you.  Just trying to clear up some misconceptions you’re holding.  It’s challenging work but worth it, I think.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

She didn’t complain in the tweet.  Some of her supporters complained...and she was given an opportunity to complain when asked by ABC news, but did not complain.  Furthermore, when she was getting the most time in the debates, there were many complaints that she was “pushy”.

Right. I didn't say she compalined in a tweet.

I said she complained. Because she did. On MSNBC, in interviews after the debate.

The tweet is about followup stuff. But it's clearly all connected, she used the same 'I had my hand up' response in the MSNBC interview. If you're following it all, it's all connected...

I'm not arguing the criticism of her early on, when she was getting all the air/speaking time, that she was pushy (among other things), was correct or appropriate. That criticism seems more like typical sexism. She wasn't anymore pushy than anyone else, and honestly she actually has smart things to say while the other ones are just spewing boilerplate comapaign bull****. I'd rather listen to her talk than almost any of the others, cause she actually talks substance (even if I disagree with her solution.)

I think you're making this whole thing into something it's not, because you jumped at an opportunity to try to take a shot at me instead of actually understanding what I said, what Warren said, and what's gone on over the last year.

As NoExcuses said, she's losing time because she's losing support because her campaign ****ed up. As some others have put it - she occupies a lane that doesn't have a clear path to victory. She alienated moderates in her move to court sanders supporters, and also didn't pick up any sanders supporters.

The fact that her social media followers are making it all about sexism, when up until now she's been in the top tier of air time in majority (if not all) of the debates, is a funny an typical side story to it all.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I said she complained. Because she did. On MSNBC, in interviews after the debate.

Hit me with a link on that, @tshile.  Should be easy to find...but I can’t find it.

I’ll see if I can find it later. 
Gotta go get a treadmill for someone. 

I watched it live but I imagine there’s a link. 

I also think you might be reading complained more strongly than I’m meaning. It’s not like she was in a tirade about it

Archived