Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, illone said:

The question is, how do we unify bernie voters?

my bro-in-law is a bernie voter and he told me the other day that he’d vote for trump if bernie doesn’t win the nomination... 

w t f ?!

I'm sure there are Biden voters that will vote for Trump or other if Bernie get's it.

herding cats

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What the graph doesn’t tell you is that the DNC is still extremely inclusive of centrists/moderates, while the GOP is in a continual effort to ostracize the party of any centrism.  And that is an obvious fact that anyone can easily acknowledge.

I don't disagree about inclusiveness, at least historically, although maybe tolerance for traditional conservative positions is changing. The Obama example above alludes to that. But that may be true of the right as well. It seems to me there are less conservative dems and less liberal repubs than there used to be. 

Clietes' point was that republicans have moved to the right. I think that may be more perception than reality as a result of the left moving further left, if Pew is accurate. The right hasn't changed much over the last couple of decades. 

extremes.jpg

2 hours ago, illone said:

The question is, how do we unify bernie voters?

my bro-in-law is a bernie voter and he told me the other day that he’d vote for trump if bernie doesn’t win the nomination... 

w t f ?!

Easy, pledge your support to Bernie.

;)

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Easy, pledge your support to Bernie.

;)

Bernie's supporters are going to be the big issue either way. They have grown so obstinate, arrogant and strident, that it's reasonable to wonder how many of them would let Trump beat any other Dem candidate just out of spite and the desire to say "I told you so".

On the other hand, they have pissed off so many other Democratic voters, and will probably turn off so many independents with their "If you don't support Bernie you're a moron" routine that they might just sink their own candidate (and the country with it).

I've been such an admirer of Bernie for so long, but he's become the worst thing for Democratic unity in a long time. The best thing that could've happened is another heart attack that forced him to drop out. 

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Bernie's supporters are going to be the big issue either way. They have grown so obstinate, arrogant and strident, that it's reasonable to wonder how many of them would let Trump beat any other Dem candidate just out of spite and the desire to say "I told you so".

I'm kind of a we shape our own reality kind of person,

Meaning I agree with your statement in part, but because that is more what people want to believe vs reality. (reinforced by the media coverage)

LIke that tweet above...not 100% accurate. The Sanders section was going after Buttigieg because Pete was directly engaging Bernie, not the other candidates:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/08/new-hampshire-primary-raucous-night-112569

That could be a problem for Buttigieg, who was the only candidate to get boos, heckles and chants, including “Wall Street Pete” and “Medicare-for-All” from Sanders’ supporters.

Klobuchar turned around on stage as she entered the arena to give a nod to the Sanders crew — “Hi, Bernie People,” she said — a nod they seemed to appreciate.

Now, I could easily run through that twitter thread and start trashing Klochubar supporters.

Not saying I'm right and you're wrong either, just throwing it out there that it took me like 10 seconds to find an example.

9 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Meaning I agree with your statement in part, but because that is more what people want to believe vs reality. (reinforced by the media coverage)

The attitude displayed by a few Bernie Bros in this thread might be a factor for us folks in here, too.  

Again, I've been a fan of Bernie for many years. Supported him last time, including with a good deal of money (for me). Decided to go with Liz this time, but Bernie was as strong second. 

So, it's not like I have a vested interest in spreading bad word about Bernie or his supporters. 

But fi you're seeing what's going on in Democratic circles, especially online, then you see what the Bernie bros are doing. They were bad enough in 2016, they've gotten worse since. And Bernie did nothing to discourage it, which is a major disappointment to me. 

Yeah, there are bad supporters of every candidate, and there are its who feed the disunity. But the toxicity of the Bernie bros is on a level that's unique. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, there are bad supporters of every candidate, and there are its who feed the disunity. But the toxicity of the Bernie bros is on a level that's unique. 

Not at all unique.  There is another, well-known political base that is extremely similar to Bernie’s.

Theyre known to favor red hats.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I've been such an admirer of Bernie for so long, but he's become the worst thing for Democratic unity in a long time. The best thing that could've happened is another heart attack that forced him to drop out. 

I think he's due for another heart attack this election season and I only hope it's before the convention and that he strongly supports the nominee and urges his supporters do the same.

27 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is what the Sanders camp is putting out there right now...the implication is clear, and this is the mild stuff.  And it’s solely because Pete outperformed Sanders in Iowa.  No other reason.

How do you know it came from Sanders camp and not a Russian bot?

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think he's due for another heart attack this election season and I only hope it's before the convention and that he strongly supports the nominee and urges his supporters do the same.

I won't predict a heart attack, but it is astounding to me that he's gotten away with promising to release his health records, and then changing his mind, as a 79 year old who's coming off a major health issue. 

I think the left has moved further left on social issues, but that has mostly been driven by society itself.  Marriage equality is a good example.  You can make the case that the Democrats, while privately may have been fine with marriage equality for a long time, didn't really start talking about possibly legislative remedies until society itself had changed on the issue.  Sometimes issue that poll one way nationally, poll much different on local levels.  The GOP is traditionally good at going after social wedge issues and bleeding the last life blood out of them on the eve of society simply not caring about it anymore.  Could you imagine a GOP candidate for President in 2020 or beyond coming out in favor of stripping marriage equality? 

Fiscal policy is an entire different beast, one in which modern Democrats as a collective body seem to be to the right of traditional Democrats/liberals.  They lost the messaging war during the Reagan era and have done little to reverse that course of privatizing everything. 

Did Bernie win the popular vote in Iowa but still lost the caucus? How can Dems claim to be saving democracy when they dont practice it?

Am I wrong to say if it was the other way around between Pete and Bernie wed hear more comparisons to electoral college so many dems want to get rid of?

Archived