Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Media Projection Thread: Redskins W-L Predictions from the "experts," USA Today: Redskins projected to finish 5-11 and last in NFC East

Boss_Hogg

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Reed and Crowder cannot be underestimated when discussing the loss of Garçon and Jackson. 

I would add Vernon Davis too. He is like a huge WR too and his numbers last year were impressive for a "backup TE". I think he is very underestimated.

In the infamous words of the ROCK, I say "JUST BRING IT". 

I love these predictions, before training camp even stars, or just started.  

I mean you never know what can happen between now and tommorow morning.  I mean, Zeke Elliot could beat up at least 2 to 3 more women.  Easy. 

Kirk will allow for the Skins to be in most games, hopefully team around can pull through.

The defense did just enough not to be solely responsible for losing games, but the didn't really go out win any games. If they can pick up 1 or 2 wins this season, that'd go a long ways as well.

Buuut... If Kirk makes another step, it takes a lot of pressure off all these other units as well. 

Come on red zone, Jay better have made this his mission with play design in the offseason. 

I have faith in Kirk and the passing game.  But we can't have them single handily carry the games where every game rises and falls on the passing game. 

Dallas is hard to beat because they are multi dimensional and their running game eats clock and rests their defense in the process.  The running game IMO is the be all and end all in terms of making a leap this year.  And I think that's doable.

Last season, the defense was historically bad.  Geez anytime an opponent has almost a 50-50 shot to convert 3rd and 10 -- is beyond pathetic.   I figure that has to improve this season.  Swearinger, Allen, Anderson, Zach Brown have to bring some major improvement.

To say the off season has been strange though doesn't even capture it.  Does that effect the season?  I don't know. I assume and hope not.  My prediction 10-6.  And I love all the naysayer predictions, it could be motivation.  Jay and D. Hall said in 2015 they'd post these type of clippings in their locker room.

11 hours ago, skins2victory said:

I'm fine being the underdog, but i'm definitely not buying the 5-11 season prediction.  I am very optimistic about this year. In fact, I believe this could easily be the best roster the Redskins have had in the last 20 years. Barring catastrophic injuries I would be very very disappointed if we are not at least in the wild card picture, because in my opinion that would mean we severely underachieved. 

This is kind of how I feel.  Granted the bar for "best roster in 20 years" is pretty low, and I'm not convinced it's true.  But I just don't see 5-11 even with this schedule which includes 6 difficult division games.  Their offense gained a legit RB, even with the #2 WR suspect it's still a very good offense.  The defense has added several potentially (dangerous word) impact players and it just has to be better.  How can it not be better than the embarrassment of the last few years?

Off-season predictions ..... Everyone has one!

From my perspective, the early things to look at, for clues to well the Redskins season turns out are: (1) how well Doctson, Crowder, Reed hold up health-wise (Still not reassured about Doctson); and (2) how well the offensive line and RBs can generate a reliable running game -- especially on 3-&-1, and breakaway threats.  

As for the defense.... It may be better, but the Skins 3-4 has never been something to write home about.  (I suspect they'll have major problems vs. Dallas.)

But it to be candid, by "early clues" I mean what you see during the first half of 3rd preseason game, on who emerges healthy out of preseason, and the first 2-3 games of the regular season.  Predictions in July are click-bait.

The silver lining here - If they are right Bruce Allen will be gone and maybe this "win the deal" approach can be done.

Don't get me wrong, much of Bruce's frugality is not only done well but needed. But you can't piss around with the most important position on the field.

I think the Redskins baseline is 8-8 with a 2 point standard deviation which means anywhere between 6-10 wins should be expected. I could see it being worse because of so many new parts (entirely new DL, two new starting receivers, a new DC, a transition back to the old OC, etc.). I am also enough of a homer to imagine it being better, but honest enough to admit that I have a hard time thinking in terms of  an 11, 12, or 14 win season.

I don't really have a problem with national mags reporting a backslide. It could happen. Besides, we have a better record of beating expectations then living up to them.

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Don't get me wrong, much of Bruce's frugality is not only done well but needed. But you can't piss around with the most important position on the field.

The problem is one of extremes. Vinny spent too wildly. Bruce is too cheap (although he certainly has opened up the pocketbook at times for Norman, Jackson, Kerrigan, etc.) Cheap with outliers isn't the best approach.

I think the thing that sticks in my craw about this is the reasons given for the fall back to really what is in effect the 5th worst team in the league. 

BS

Just looking at the NFCE the Cowboys have an issue in the fact chunks of their team is suspended and secondly, those in the defense that are not suspended aren't great - 5 new players in the secondary - The Giants still haven't really addressed the offensive line and overall the team to me looks thin - Do they have a running back yet - and the Eagles have a running back but none on which you would feed the ball too ... and again their secondary is suspect 

All in all though i see the NFCE is a melting point of 8-8 teams - and when an 8-8 team gets hot then they can go all the way (see Giants (NY)) but when things go  wrong then 6-10 becomes a reality and questions are asked. AND depth plays a huge role in that. 

Everyone wants the Skins (everyone on here who are Redskins fans - not so much the fans of other teams) to be that perpetual 10-6, 11-5 division champion in waiting but we are not - but we are not - but equally we are not the 5-11 pond scum some are painting us (IMO) but time will tell... 

39 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The silver lining here - If they are right Bruce Allen will be gone and maybe this "win the deal" approach can be done.

I just can't see that happening.  Even if in the small chance it did, I can't trust that Dan will make the right hire as his replacement.  Not sure how we can win here.

The cowboys are going to run the ball constantly and nobody will stop them. I dont think Dak is great, but Witten and Bryant are perfect for him. Cowboys are going to win a lot of games.

The Giants have a great defense against pass and run and as much as we keep knocking their oline and running game, their high power pass game will win them enough.

I have no idea why the eagles are getting love. They're going to suck again.

if this is not a bunch of trash predictions I don't know what is.  And I am not even looking at what they have us at, which to me is laughable to begin with.  I am looking at the Lions having the same 5-11 record as the Bears.  Seriously?

All in all nothing to see here, the Redskins will always be picked last or next to last until we show consistent winning.  Now the football world is way to much in love with Dak and Zeke for us to even be in the conversation for being a winning team.

wow, bunch of negative nancys in here.. 6-10? swept by the cowgirls? c'mon man.

Let's examine some things here:

The skins have improved all 3 levels of the defense, and jettisoned Joe Barry. (Jon Allen was the best DL in the draft, Anderson is a wrecking ball)

The pieces at linebacker and safety are greatly improved

Losing Garcon and Jackson hurt, but them being gone just means more targets/touches for Reed/Crowder/Pryor/Davis (with Doctson being the wildcard, anything he contributes is gravy)

that's not counting more touches for Kelley, Perine and Thompson.. which should help rz scoring a ton.

I look for the run game to be better this year because the Jackson run/pass indicator is now in tampa, so they can disguise run or pass formations a little better, no more giant tipoffs that Grant is in the game, it's a run play 99% of the time.

Gruden calling plays again, which means no more pass happy McVay. Kirk should be a bit down statistically, but Gruden was always in the top 10 in rushing attempts while serving as the playcaller in cincy iirc.

As for this nonsense about getting swept by dalass again, those guys got some serious issues.

tons of suspensions/arrests/distractions/investigations

they tossed aside 4 starting db's, and will be counting on Scandrick and philthy reject Carroll along with a bunch of rookies..

lost 2/5 of that vaunted 0-line.. and on top of that the book is out on elliot and prescott.. who will both be hard pressed to duplicate or top their rookie performances, with pressure and expectations being higher, along with a tougher schedule.

I like us sweeping dalass this year, and I think this team legit wins 11 games.

I see dalass at 7-9,( or 8-8 but I think they go 1-4 to start the season)  giants 9 to 10 wins, and eagles around 8-8.

Archived