Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Media Projection Thread: Redskins W-L Predictions from the "experts," USA Today: Redskins projected to finish 5-11 and last in NFC East

Boss_Hogg

USA Today

DFgTviRXgAIFrZ3.jpg:large

Reason: Washington Redskins (5-11):The questions about Kirk Cousins' future will be on constant loop. And he may not enjoy the present all that much after losing two 1,000-yard receivers. 

Sports Illustrated

PROJECTED RECORD: 6–10

After the clown show Washington put on around the combine, I am running far away from this team. The shame of it is they have likeable players and a roster coming off two consecutive winning seasons. But that team isn’t better without Scot McCloughan as GM, and it’s going to show this season.

Pivotal game: Week 6 vs. 49ers. Washington plays Oakland and Kansas City heading into its early bye week and seems to have a gimme against San Francisco coming out of it, but new 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan knows more about Kirk Cousins than anyone else in football. His insight into Cousins’s game could tip the scales and send Washington into a funk.

Bonus: The pic used is Cousins fumbling the ball. Yet the other teams show images of players celebrating

Bleacher Report

The important thing here is to recognize that their projected record has a lot to do with their division and not so much the drama involving Cousins. Their schedule is tough, and they have holes. Plain and simple.   

2017 record prediction6-10

ESPN

2017 NFC East Projections
TEAM WINS LOSSES WIN DIVISION
Cowboys 9.4 6.6 46.4%
Giants 8.2 7.7 22.6%
Eagles 8.0 7.9 19.3%
Redskins 7.3 8.6 11.7%

The Cowboys are looking to become the first repeat champion in the NFC East since the Eagles won four consecutive titles between 2001 and 2004, and FPI gives Dallas a 46.4 percent chance to do so. "The field" of the Giants (22.6 percent chance), Eagles (19.3) and Redskins (11.7) collectively has a higher probability than the Cowboys (53.6), so don't bet against the title changing hands yet again.

I agree there is potential for this thing to go off the rails with a new OC, Jay calling the plays, new primary receivers, and a defense with a new DC and some new toys that could lead to growing pains.  Add to that contract drama if things don't go swell from the jump.

I still believe that the bad projections and predictions for our team stem mainly from the drama filled offseason and not so much the actual team that will hit the field in September.

So, I don't THINK we'll go 5-11 either, but it's not outlandish given our schedule. The AFC West is GOOD. There are a couple teams in the NFC West that we struggle with as well (Seattle and Arizona). On top of that, both New Orleans and Minnesota (our wild card games) won't be easy. 

It wouldn't be shocking at all to see us go 1-3 against the AFC West (beating the Chargers - which isn't a layup either), 1-3 against the NFC West (beating the 49ers), 2-4 in the division (Philly is due), and 0-2 in our other two games. I don't EXPECT it, but it's possible. 

Odd to see someone predict 16-0 though...

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, I don't THINK we'll go 5-11 either, but it's not outlandish given our schedule. The AFC West is GOOD. There are a couple teams in the NFC West that we struggle with as well (Seattle and Arizona). On top of that, both New Orleans and Minnesota (our wild card games) won't be easy. 

It wouldn't be shocking at all to see us go 1-3 against the AFC West (beating the Chargers - which isn't a layup either), 1-3 against the NFC West (beating the 49ers), 2-4 in the division (Philly is due), and 0-2 in our other two games. I don't EXPECT it, but it's possible. 

Odd to see someone predict 16-0 though...

It's funny how the AFC west is strong top to bottom yet these rankings have only one team really being good and the only other team above 500 is the worst team in that division. KC is gonna hit 10 wins easy.

these rankings are awful. Suddenly Detroit and Houston are subpar teams?

Things can always go poorly. However, we should be an improved team from last year.  Defense should be better, and I, for one, am not worried one bit about our wr situation.  As long as Doctson is healthy, I think this unit will surprise people this year. 

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I still believe that the bad projections and predictions for our team stem mainly from the drama filled offseason and not so much the actual team that will hit the field in September.

Totally agree.  Many of these "experts" seem to know only what they read in the headlines. 

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree there is potential for this thing to go off the rails with a new OC, Jay calling the plays, new primary receivers, and a defense with a new DC and some new toys that could lead to growing pains.  

This is a better evaluation of the potential problems than the two-line BS written in the article.  It sounded like someone who only knew about the Redskins' situation from listening to Mike and Mike.

Add to it the questions of an underwhelming DL (on paper) and a challenging schedule.

:229:The Rook

It could happen, but it's not like we didn't replace the receivers.  Pryor has a lot to prove but there's certainly reason to think that he can go for over 1000 since he did last year in Cleveland with crappy QB play.  Crowder gets more opportunities now.  Reed is still here.  

Any type of football prediction doesn't even bother me anymore.  Making football predictions are 100% pointless and have no bearing on what happens.  

An "experts" prediction and my 2 year old son's predictions both have the exact chance of happening since they are both completely made up.

Talent-wise, we've improved, Eagles improved, Giants stayed about the same, and the Cowboys got much worse. 

The issue for us will be if all of the new pieces mesh together quick... and if will compton touches the field.

No way we're a sub-500 team with the offense we have assembled. We were over 500 with one of the worst defenses in the NFL at 8-7-1, how we don't get credit for adding Allen and Zack Brown are just beyond me. Honestly, I'd rather be the underdog, we don't do well with expectations lately.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Honestly, I'd rather be the underdog, we don't do well with expectations lately.

If by lately, you mean the last 25 years.  Not like we've had many upcoming seasons with high expectations outside of the fanbase.

I do agree with the overall premise.  Being a favorite serves no purpose whatsoever.

Archived