Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek: Alex Jones and Other Conservatives Call For Civil War Against Liberals

Springfield

14 hours ago, No Excuses said:

InfoWars will die off. But Jones is leaving behind an awful creation and idea. 

There is an enormous marketplace for fake news and wild conspiracies on the right

Smarter people are going to come along and do what Jones did without the crazy. 

Its not just the right.  Also, its becoming abundantly clear that AJ had very few actual disciples, and a whole heck of a lot of gawkers.

Youre being a bit of a drama queen.  Charlatans are as old as the country

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zoony said:

Its not just the right.  Also, its becoming abundantly clear that AJ had very few actual disciples, and a whole heck of a lot of gawkers.

Very few actual disciples, but at least one very high-profile one:

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2017/05/03/guide-donald-trump-s-relationship-alex-jones/216263

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, DogofWar1 said:

It just amazes me how with all these techie hotshot millionaires and billionaires out there no one has really pushed a "twitter but we ban white supremecists and keep your info safe" site.

Though I suspect that kind of site would be woefully unprofitable.

So I guess my pondering answers itself.

Selling your info is how they make money.  There's been lots of alternatives to Facebook/Twitter going to back to 2010.  Google+, Diaspora, Friendica, etc.  For some reason they never caught on.

5 hours ago, zoony said:

Alex Jones has the ear of the US President and millions of listeners. 

I know you get off on both sidesism but there is legitimately no equivalent to InfoWars/WND/Gateway Pundit/Prison Planet on the left.

What should be the fringe is the mainstream on the right.

Charlatans have never had a platform like the internet to spread their BS. This is a legitimate problem for open and free societies throughout the world. 

5 hours ago, Llevron said:

Im still expecting that Milo dude to make it back to popularity. It wont be long until people forget they care he likes little boys. 

Getting deplatformed on the big social media sites is the end of your relevance today. 

The space you leave behind in the digital ecosystem gets taken over by someone else very quickly. 

The blueprint is there for every con artist in the world. You can make a ton of money peddling BS to your average GOP voter.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Alex Jones has the ear of the US President and millions of listeners. 

I know you get off on both sidesism but there is legitimately no equivalent to InfoWars/WND/Gateway Pundit/Prison Planet on the left.

What should be the fringe is the mainstream on the right.

I think what Zoony is saying is the fact that his supposed fans didn’t follow him off of those platforms to his own website, is a strong argument that his fan base isn’t as big as people thought. That it was mostly people gawking at the crazy guy, that aren’t interested enough to go out of their way to hear what he has to say.  That’s not an argument without merit.  

Charlatans have never had a platform like the internet to spread their BS. This is a legitimate problem for open and free societies throughout the world. 

Getting deplatformed on the big social media sites is the end of your relevance today. 

Free societies?  It’s a problem for all societies.  The size of these platforms are why authoritarian regimes have cracked down.  The fact that only certain kinds have been banned are why most in free societies are nervously accepting large corporations having this kind of power... for now, anyway.  If they crack down on the wrong “charlatans” all hell will break loose.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I think what Zoony is saying is the fact that his supposed fans didn’t follow him off of those platforms to his own website, is a strong argument that his fan base isn’t as big as people thought. That it was mostly people gawking at the crazy guy, that aren’t interested enough to go out of their way to hear what he has to say.  That’s not an argument without merit. 

I don't know if it was only gawking. Jones business model is based on supplements. He can't stay in business without those. He shouldn't have missed a step if only the true believers were buying those.

9 hours ago, zoony said:

Perhaps the biggest charlatan is our country’s history is sitting in the Oval Office, so I’m not sure ‘drama queen’ is a fair assessment.  

Speaking of “it’s not just the right”, I was asking my wife something along these lines.  Does the Left have a version of Swift Boat?  A version of putting up campaign signs made to look like they’re from a candidate (to make them look bad)?  Has the Left’s candidates tasked their staffers to get an Independent on the ballot?  How about Benghazi?  PizzaGate?

Those aren’t rhetorical questions.  As much as I see the Right constantly/frequently “cheating”, I don’t know if I’m missing the Left doing the same sort of thing.  One obvious factor here, it seems like the Right’s base has been conditioned to eat this stuff up, right?.  The polls showing how Republican voters changed their ideologies/opinions based on who was in office sure suggest this anyway, and it makes sense considering the popularity of the Hannity’s, Limbaugh’s and O’Reilly’s.  They’ve fertilized the ground for those weeds.  

Edited by skinny21

• 4 months later...