Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My only concern about it is Doug is the one guy I've noticed being willing to talk about plan B if Kirk isn't resigned.  So I hope this doesn't reflect any pessimism within the FO. 

Williams may have good reason to be pessimistic maybe he believes that Snyder isn't willing to pay Cousins or that Cousins isn't interested in signing a LTD with the Skins.  

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, I haven't heard though any of the beat reporters say the same

Playing like a first or second round QB this year, interesting.  Would that be playing like a guy the Redskins would draft in the first or second round or what a good team would draft? The Skins would draft a guy who could run and throw it and not think fast enough to succeed.

That aside, I was impressed with Sudfeld at Indiana and I think the Skins have a prospect in him.  If Cousins bolts in 2018 the Skins give Sudfeld a shot before they draft someone.  The Skins would blow the draft pick.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Williams may have good reason to be pessimistic maybe he believes that Snyder isn't willing to pay Cousins or that Cousins isn't interested in signing a LTD with the Skins.  

Your disdain for Dan Snyder is well documented here and all, but we've been provided nothing to so much as hint that Snyder won't pay Cousins.  While it's all rumors at this point, all the hearsay points to Bruce not wanting to pay the market value that putting the tag on him set.  The latest item about Snyder getting involved points more to his own personal desire to sign Cousins.

I've never been one to defend Dan's honor, but in this scenario - to me, this is all on Bruce.

I personally cringed when I heard Doug's comments about a Cousins contract because it sounded like he was setting the stage to point the finger at Cousins should a deal not occur.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Your disdain for Dan Snyder is well documented here and all, but we've been provided nothing to so much as hint that Snyder won't pay Cousins.  While it's all rumors at this point, all the hearsay points to Bruce not wanting to pay the market value that putting the tag on him set.  The latest item about Snyder getting involved points more to his own personal desire to sign Cousins.

I've never been one to defend Dan's honor, but in this scenario - to me, this is all on Bruce.

I personally cringed when I heard Doug's comments about a Cousins contract because it sounded like he was setting the stage to point the finger at Cousins should a deal not occur.

If you chose to believe Bruce is running Snyder's team go ahead that is your decision.  As for evidence that Snyder won't pay Cousins I point to  the absence of a LTD. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My only concern about it is Doug is the one guy I've noticed being willing to talk about plan B if Kirk isn't resigned.  So I hope this doesn't reflect any pessimism within the FO. 

I don't think it's pessimism - more likely posturing.

If they can put the narrative out there that they have options beyond Cousins that helps their negotiation.

Really doubt it works however.

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

If you chose to believe Bruce is running Snyder's team go ahead that is your decision.  As for evidence that Snyder won't pay Cousins I point to  the absence of a LTD. 

Considering the local media and their alleged desire to paint a negative picture of this team and more importantly - Dan Snyder, I'd find it hard to believe that nothing has come out in regards to Dan meddling and making Bruce do everything as he pleases.

I'd imagine getting Kirk signed to a LTD is #1 on Bruce's to-do list for Dan and that he's reassured him a deal will get done.  Based on what we've heard about Bruce, he's going to hold out as long as he can in hopes that he 'wins' the deal.

3 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

That's not evidence. Evidence is for a couple of decades, we paid EVERYONE. Until Bruce got here. And then we're nickle and diming people. Bruce was cheap in Tampa as well. The evidence points to Bruce not wanting to pay Cousins.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

We use Nate his amazing two days of practise to leverage Kirk!!!!! Sign this deal now or see how Nate develops. He is such a talent. We could see him beeing something special. So Kirk. Take it oe leave it.

"OK, you have fun with Nate, I'm going to the 49ers."

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, I haven't heard though any of the beat reporters say the same

And my mom still says I'm the best basketball player on the team.  While I averaged 0.2 points per game.  That is not a typo.

Like you said later on in the thread, DW seems to be showing some pessimism.  I don't know if he's just trying some gamesmanship, but it doesn't look great from the public side of things when you praise both your backups and hope that the guy you're negotiating with "sees the big picture", whatever that means.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We don't sign KC to a LTD this year, we draft a QB in a QB heavy draft in 2018 in the 1st or 2nd round.  JMO. 

I agree, the Skins are not going to close Cousins.  Danny and sycophants will manage to pick one of the QBs the 2018 draft that don't work out while a smart franchise signs Cousins who goes on to win a SB or 2 and ends up in the HOF

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

I agree, the Skins are not going to close Cousins.  Danny and sycophants will manage to pick one of the QBs the 2018 draft that don't work out while a smart franchise signs Cousins who goes on to win a SB or 2 and ends up in the HOF

I should have started the sentence with "If".  :) 

I found some of Doug expanding on this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/06/19/doug-williams-has-high-high-praise-for-redskins-third-string-qb-nate-sudfeld/?utm_term=.f265ced67ff2

“Sudfield’s one of my favorites,” Williams told ESPN 980’s Doc Walker. “You know, he was one of the guys, when we drafted him, when we sat in the room [and] we talked about drafting a quarterback, I was a Sudfeld guy. You know, none of [the prospects] took snaps up under the center; they all stood back in the shotgun. He was at Indiana, but when you watched him and the guys at a couple more schools, there was something about him that you liked. And I think he’s learned how to take the snap from under center; he gets the ball out of his hands.

“The first couple weeks here, I think [Coach Jay Gruden] wanted to run him off,” Williams joked. “He looked so bad Jay wanted to run him off.”

I have followed the Redskins since  1984, really getting into them in the late 90's, been over to the states twice to see the Skins (2 wins), but if we don't sign Cousin's to a LTD my passion for the Redskins, which is very high might start to go on a downward spiral. I have seen Snyder pay ridiculous amounts to very old, very overated and very bad players since he bought the team. We finally get a chance to sign one of our players who could take us all the way to the promised land and we are still in 2 minds as to whether we will sign Cousin's.  Just do it Snyder NOW.

HTTR 

In fairness Sudfeld played very well in the preseason last year. Not saying he is Kirk Cousins. But saying good things about Sudfeld can only help. It can apply some pressure on Kirk. But even if that doesnt work it also could help Sudfelds trade value as well. There is nothing wrong with having more than one good QB on your team.

I like this optimism from JLC.  to his credit he's been optimistic most of the way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deal-or-no-deal-the-odds-for-kirk-cousins-leveon-bell-and-trumaine-johnson/

Odds: 80 percent 

The sides have come too far and been through too much not to see this through. For as much was made about faux trade demands and how Cousins allegedly only wanted to play for the 49ers or whatever, the odds have always been strongest that he re-signed with the Redskins. Cousins was certainly not thrilled about being tagged again, but that's the business, and he's nothing if not pragmatic.

A year ago these sides were playing footsie, with no chance of a deal really getting done and owner Dan Snyder and team president Bruce Allen wanting to see Cousins prove it on the field for another season. He's done that now, and they aren't going to be picking high enough to land a top QB next year and they can't try to make another RG3-type trade to get one and franchising Cousins for a third straight year is silly and shortsighted as well.

This is the time to make something happen and Allen knows that and he is motivated to make the quarterback a known and fixed cost for the owner. Letting Pierre Garconand DeSean Jackson walk was a nod to that, and the Redskins believe Cousins can help further develop young receivers. He's become a leader and a fixture at a position of perpetual angst for Snyder, and this team knows what it's like not to have a function, winning passer.  

And they can't go back to the abyss. For as much as Cousins can reasonably talk about $25M a year, he and his representatives are smart, savvy people, and if it ends up being $23M a year and four seasons are in essence guaranteed by the salary structure, that's a major win for the former fourth round pick. I don't see this falling apart. There's just too much at stake for both sides.

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

As odd as it sounds, I'd be more optimistic if the backup plan is Sudfeld. We know McCoy's ceiling and I think most of us realize he can't match (or even really approach) KC's output. It's not that I think Sudfeld could...but we at least haven't seen that he can't yet. Does that make sense?

Not odd at all to me.

I'm in the minority but I believe Sudfeld is the most talented QB on the roster.

Not the best QB on the roster (yet), just the most talented from a physical standpoint.

Archived