Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

...and what about Kirk leads you to believe that he would ever say anything remotely negative about stuff like this on the record? 

....and why would the Redskins come out and admit 'Yeah, we messed up'?

I don't expect anything but the status quo on the record from both parties.

Earlier I asked rhetorically how much reality needs to be ignored in order to hang on to some of these stances...I didn't actually expect it to be answered lol...

So ignore what they say, on record, multiple times and in numerous ways....and instead stick to how you imagine they must really feel.

Yeah....I can't do that.

2 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

I'm neither surprised or angry.  The mistake was made last year - everything that has happened this year was entirely predictable.  But tell me this - if you were Kirk, and you were looking at this totally objectively, what would the Skins need to offer that was a better deal than getting $24M guaranteed for 2017 and FA (with no required compensation from the signing team) in 2018?  Keep in mind that this is going to be your one and only big bucks LTD in all likelihood.

I have no idea why Kirk would want to accept a penny less than 125M with 75M guaranteed. The transition tag is 28M so unless the Skins want to let him walk they will need to put the transition tag on him again to even have an opportunity to keep him.  Add the 2017 plus 2018 tags together it is 62M,  so unless they sweeten it to 75 or 80M in guaranteed why even think about the Skins?  Other better run franchises with better rosters and more balanced teams will vie for his services if and when he decides to go FA.  Danny Snyder should put a very fat offer and close they deal now.  All the other choices are worse, much worse for Snyder.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Earlier I asked rhetorically how much reality needs to be ignored in order to hang on to some of these stances...I didn't actually expect it to be answered lol...

So ignore what they say, on record, multiple times and in numerous ways....and instead stick to how you imagine they must really feel.

Yeah....I can't do that.

So you always take what everyone in contract negotiations has to say at face value?  Naive to say the least.

Im sure Kirk is the least concerned in all of this as he stands to make a mint no matter which way it goes.  It doesn't take much imagination to assume he would have preferred the team to roll out the red carpet and pay him what he wanted a long time ago, if only for the certainty and to not go through the song and dance and be constantly asked about it.

As for the Redskins, I can only hope they aren't arrogant enough to really believe they have handled the Cousins situation well up to this point.  It would take quite an imagination to see them actually saying that they screwed up the contract situation from the get go.

So yeah, pardon me if I utilize common sense over PR.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

What? lol :ols:

98% of the argument against drafting Cousins was that fans thought it was a wasted draft pick since the team mortgaged so much on a QB already in the draft...it had ZERO to do with being upset that Cousins was a "potential starter". Fans were bothered that a 4th round pick was used on a guy who, if things panned out, would never see the field. That's why the running rhetoric at the time, both among fans and definitely in the media, was that Shanahan must be thinking of trading Cousins down the road to recoup some picks. It's also why a huge majority of fans here said Cousins flushed his trade value down the toilet with his performance at the end of the 2013 season.

That doesn't mean he wasn't thought of around the league as a potential starter and a steal at the 4th round. 

7 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I have no idea why Kirk would want to accept a penny less than 125M with 75M guaranteed. The transition tag is 28M so unless the Skins want to let him walk they will need to put the transition tag on him again to even have an opportunity to keep him.  Add the 2017 plus 2018 tags together it is 62M,  so unless they sweeten it to 75 or 80M in guaranteed why even think about the Skins?  Other better run franchises with better rosters and more balanced teams will vie for his services if and when he decides to go FA.  Danny Snyder should put a very fat offer and close they deal now.  All the other choices are worse, much worse for Snyder.

As I said earlier, right now the Skins are negotiating against themselves - they need to beat $24M guaranted/1 year/FA in 2018 just to have a seat at the table with Kirk's agent.  The possible contracts we're coming up with on ES are all oversimplified, so there really isn't any point in guessing what Kirk is willing to accept.  But it will be a hell of a contract, for sure.

I'm not all that sure that the teams competing for him are much better organizations, they may be worse.  SF, Cleveland, Rams, Jets are pretty much a mess, although I think SF and LA get a lot of deference because of their HC situations.  Texans could be in the mix, so could the Jags.  The transition tag won't work against SF, Cleveland or Houston - its too easy for them to structure a deal that the Skins can't match, even if the overall money is the same.  The Skins really need to come through here in the next month, or work out a trade.  That's why I don't think it will actually come down to the last day or two.  The Skins have too much to lose if Kirk plays hardball and it will take some time to cut their losses.  My guess is that its all wrapped up by July 7.

4 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Anyone here this rumor that Kirk and Colt don't get along?

I heard this on the Junkies last week. They even mentioned that this came up in negotiations. I hope it's not a big deal (I doubt it is), and wouldn't give pause to Kirk on wanting a LTD.

I can't imagine the Kirk/Colt relationship plays into anything at all and if it does - god help us.

Every backup QB has to tote the company line about supporting everyone in the QB room and making sure they are ready to play when called upon, yadda yadda.  But realistically, the starting QB is the backup QB's enemy.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can't imagine the Kirk/Colt relationship plays into anything at all and if it does - god help us.

Every backup QB has to tote the company line about supporting everyone in the QB room and making sure they are ready to play when called upon, yadda yadda.  But realistically, the starting QB is the backup QB's enemy.

If Colt McCoy being around was holding this up, he'd have been cut by now. 

26 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

That doesn't mean he wasn't thought of around the league as a potential starter and a steal at the 4th round. 

No one thought that and, to be blunt, you're misremembering if you think it was any different. We thought Kirk was a wasted 4th round pick. Sure, maybe an analyst or two thought Kirk could be decent, but you're massively overrating Kirk's projection coming into the league. 

53 minutes ago, CTskin said:

No one thought that and, to be blunt, you're misremembering if you think it was any different. We thought Kirk was a wasted 4th round pick. Sure, maybe an analyst or two thought Kirk could be decent, but you're massively overrating Kirk's projection coming into the league. 

You didn't think that it doesn't mean others didn't. I would look up the analysts on draft day and the national media, they will echo what I said verbatim. He slid and could be a starter.  For example:

kirk cousins is a 2nd or 3rd round pick on this. 

they go over his intangibles and quick release project him as a top 50 pick. 

Scouts Inc/Espn projects 57th overall if I read this correctly. http://m.espn.com/nfl/draftcard?playerId=28010&src=desktop

2 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

You didn't think that.  look up the analysts on draft day and the national media, they will echo what I said verbatim. He slid and could be a starter. 

It was certainly an opinion that was out there. In fact, I think because of the RGIII euphoria, the move was received more level-headed outside of the DMV than inside. I do remember that Cousins was considered a great value draft pick in the 4th round. 

Again, among Redskin fans the move was almost instantly hated and Cousins was mocked as a career backup. We had just made the move to draft Griffin and many fans thought we were set with Steve Young 2.0 for the next decade. 

29 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It was certainly an opinion that was out there. In fact, I think because of the RGIII euphoria, the move was received more level-headed outside of the DMV than inside. I do remember that Cousins was considered a great value draft pick in the 4th round. 

Again, among Redskin fans the move was almost instantly hated and Cousins was mocked as a career backup. We had just made the move to draft Griffin and many fans thought we were set with Steve Young 2.0 for the next decade. 

Had we not done the RG3 thing, Cousins and Wilson were said to be the two we were considering in round 2 if we didn't go for a QB with our natural  first round pick.

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I told myself I'm not going to get a Cousins jersey until he signs a long term deal. 

The only active player's jersey I have ever bought was Sean Taylor.  Actually bought 2.  I had his rookie 36, then the 21.  That didn't end well.  I have sworn off all jersey's of active players since.  

(This is not exactly true, my wonderful wife got me a "Pot Roast" (literally says Pot Roast on the back) as a gag birthday present.  I don't count that one...)

14 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Had we not done the RG3 thing, Cousins and Wilson were said to be the two we were considering in round 2 if we didn't go for a QB with our natural  first round pick.

Yeah, wasn't there also a chance that they would have gotten Tannehill in the 1st? I don't remember where the 'Skins were picking originally, but I thought that I heard that absent a trade for Griffin, Tannehill was an option in the first, and then Wilson was the backup.  

Hindsight being 20-20, instead of wasting their 3rd rounder on Ribbs, they should have snagged Wilson. :P

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i read about that Dolphins players agent setting a deadline for extension talks...you think kirks agent should do that? Might give the front office a bit of an incentive to get a deal done? 

Did the Dolphins franchise anyone this year? If not, that's why the agent is pushing a deadline.

The Redskins and Kirk have a deadline 7/17 established by the league.

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i read about that Dolphins players agent setting a deadline for extension talks...you think kirks agent should do that? Might give the front office a bit of an incentive to get a deal done? 

There is already a deadline, it's July 17th.  No need for an arbitrary deadline.  

17 minutes ago, Tay said:

Did the Dolphins franchise anyone this year? If not, that's why the agent is pushing a deadline.

The Redskins and Kirk have a deadline 7/17 established by the league.

Apparently not. I saw the link on NFL.com about Jarvis Landrys agent setting a deadline on extension talks with the Dolphins and I figured that meant he set a deadline for extension talks before the July 17th deadline. 

Appears thats not the case. 

Man, Lombardi didn't mince his words in the least lol.

I just can't get myself to be radical for one side, due to understanding how unique this situation was, in regards to the timing and small sample of player doing big things.

There's literally no other situation in the history of the league that compares to what the Skins organization is going through. 

Archived