Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

Five-time Pro Bowl honoree Trent Williams, the left tackle who has protected Cousins these last few years, was unequivocal Wednesday when asked about Cousins’s value.

“It’s a well-known fact that without a quarterback, you’re not winning in this league,” Williams said. “Our success — and the success that we want to have — is a direct reflection of Kirk. Without him, I think it would be very hard to have a successful team. Obviously, he’s the team captain. He’s a great guy; everybody loves him. So as a teammate, I would love to see him around for the remainder of his career or the remainder of my career.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/06/14/kirk-cousins-ever-patient-on-contract-status-aims-for-balance-on-field-and-life/?utm_term=.ebe0a1fd712b

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'm not sure. I don't think Cousins wold have ever settled for market value. I think he always wanted a premium. I don't really begrudge him that, but I think it's true. He's been very good and pretty consistent for a year and a half, but on the other hand, I don't think anyone confuses him with Rogers or Brady. Yet he does seem to think that market value for him is the top of the elite scale. Rather, I think his agent believes he should create a new top.

Ultimately, we won't know what he really wants until he signs. We only know what he has rejected (if the rumors are to be believed).

This is an argument that continues to baffle me.  The "market" consists of QBs that are available or might be available for the right price (these are the "sellers") and teams that need a quarterback.  Rogers and Brady aren't in the market and don't get considered in any calculation of "market value".  At the time that KC was franchised for the second time, this was the market:

Sellers: (due to be FAs) Cousins, Glennon, Hoyer, Barkley, Keenum, Hill, Fitzpatrick, McGloin, Sanchez, G. Smith, Mallet; (available for a price) Garoppolo; (available in draft) Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer.

Buyers: Jets, Browns, Texans, Jags, Broncos, Vikings, Bears, 49ers, Rams

You don't need to go to advanced metrics to see that the available pool of QBs consisted of one quarterback with success in the NFL on the "sell" side.  The draft had a single QB that could start in 2017 - Watson.  Everyone else is a project,  The buy side consists of three teams with aspirations for a deep playoff run with a decent QB (Texans, Broncos, and Vikings), four teams whose last decent QB is a decade or more ago, and two teams with head coaches that previously coached Kirk.

That's the market for Kirk.  Not Brady, Ryan, Luck, Rogers, Brees, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Carr, Newton, Stafford.  Their contracts don't matter.  It's like promising your kid a blueberry pie for his birthday in September, and then wondering why the blueberries cost twice as much as they did in July, even though they don't look nearly as tasty.  Other teams are desperate for a quarterback that their fans will pay $100-1000 per seat, per week to see.  And there are teams that have plenty of cap space to "overspend" on a quarterback - in particular the 49ers and Browns, and they'll likely be in the market next year as well.  

That's not really true. Let's say that the best QB available on the market is Trent Dilfer (yeah, dating myself) and there are five teams that consider themselves in need of a QB. Dilfer is not breaking the record for biggest salary by a QB. It's a sliding scale and not pure supply and demand.

@theTruthTeller

You're looking at it solely from a supply/demand perspective. By your logic, we didn't overspend for Haynesworth, Sanders, etc. because someone was willing to pay that premium for those players.

You must also consider opportunity costs when determining these contracts. Because of that, every franchise QB's contract matters. If we over spend based on the market and how NFL contracts market value is determined, we aren't able to build around him the same way the rest of the league builds their team around franchise QBs.

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That's not really true. Let's say that the best QB available on the market is Trent Dilfer (yeah, dating myself) and there are five teams that consider themselves in need of a QB. Dilfer is not breaking the record for biggest salary by a QB. It's a sliding scale and not pure supply and demand.

Yeah, if you put out moldy blueberries in September, no one's going to buy them at 3x the June price.  Not because of the price increase, but because no one wants moldy blueberries.  Just like no one bid up the remaining QBs when KC was franchised (although Glennon did okay and Tribusky, Mahomes and Kizer went way earlier than their talent level would indicate).  So the moldy blueberries didn't sell, big deal.

Put out some juicy, plump blueberries among the moldy ones in September, however, and they'll fly off the shelves.  At the time of the tag deadline, KC could have made a huge difference in Chicago , NYJ, Jacksonville, Minn, Denver.  He was, at least in some statistics, excellent in 2015 and 2016 and pretty good in all statistics.  Everyone who has coached KC, loves him.  But, most of all, two of those coaches want him, badly, and will drive up the price.  

30 minutes ago, Tay said:

@theTruthTeller

You're looking at it solely from a supply/demand perspective. By your logic, we didn't overspend for Haynesworth, Sanders, etc. because someone was willing to pay that premium for those players.

You must also consider opportunity costs when determining these contracts. Because of that, every franchise QB's contract matters. If we over spend based on the market and how NFL contracts market value is determined, we aren't able to build around him the same way the rest of the league builds their team around franchise QBs.

I never mentioned anything about overspending, so I don't see how my logic justifies the Haynesworth deal (I was against it) or Sanders deal. You can pay market value, or even way below market value, and still overspend.  There aren't guarantees about your player evaluations, or the player evaluations of teams you are competing against..  Maybe Brady is the greatest of all time because Belichek is the greatest of all time.  No guarantees of a Super Bowl if he came to DC. Maybe you'll pick out a box of blueberries that looks fantastic, and they'll be sour.

No one is forcing the Skins to sign Cousins, but if they let him hit the open market someone will pay as much or more than $25M/year.  Because everyone whose tasted that particular box of blueberries has found them to be delicious.

Ability to spend has an affect on market value in the macro sense.  But in the micro sense, what one particular team is willing to spend doesn't affect market value at all.  SF and Cleveland have huge cap space and both need a QB, preferably a proven QB.  If the Skins don't want to pay that price, it doesn't affect Kirk's market value.  That's why it's called "market" value.

15 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

So, what do we offer Captain Kirk?

Would he go for 22m/yr if we guaranteed 60m?

For the record, I think a high guaranteed number is the way to go.  Mostly because the negotiations have been so ****ed up.  The whole "let's see if he is for real" philosophy failed not because of concept of "proving it" is a bad one, but because the Skins put themselves in a position where there was no realistic alternative to Kirk whether he proved it or not.  And they've continued to go down this path.  The Skins have a single choice for 2018: pay Kirk too much now, pay Kirk way too much next year, or take a flyer on an unproven QB.

My best guess on an extension is 5 years, $120M, $60M fully guaranteed, $96M guaranteed for injury.

That would give him 3.5 years fully guaranteed (incl the franchise tag year) and AAV right around market value.

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Also, not sure where you get that Oakland played a "significantly more difficult" schedule that the Redskins. In terms of strength of schedule Oakland was 14th and the Redskins were 11th.

No time to respond to all but I will say that you are basing that off SOS coming into the season and not the end result. Redskins' opponent combined record for 2016 is 138-116-2 where as the raiders was 144-111-1. And you can call it cherry picking but if you remove dallas' combined 20 games above 500 the redskins really faced a mediocre schedule (removing the top two for raiders would still have their opponents record at about 25 over 500). But you are correct that handpicking isn't the soundest of arguments.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

No time to respond to all but I will say that you are basing that off SOS coming into the season and not the end result. Redskins' opponent combined record for 2016 is 138-116-2 where as the raiders was 144-111-1. And you can call it cherry picking but if you remove dallas' combined 20 games above 500 the redskins really faced a mediocre schedule (removing the top two for raiders would still have their opponents record at about 25 over 500). But you are correct that handpicking isn't the soundest of arguments.

Sorry, but I believe you are incorrect - again. The preseason SOS was Redskins 17th - Oakland 15th. The final was Redskins 11th - Oakland 14th. I used the final and quite frankly even gave you the chart to show where the data come from. Can you please show me where your data is coming from? I believe it to be incorrect. If the chart I found is wrong - then I would really like to know. I try to be as factual as possible.

As soon as you start removing parts of the data you are skewing it to make a point. The data speaks for itself. But since you insist, the final SOS for each team:

Redskins 131-123-2 or 0.516: Remove dallas it goes to 105-117-2 or 0.469

Oakland  129-127 or 0.504: remove their tow opponents with the highest win/loss (KC twice at 12-4) you get 105-119 or 0.469

So please show me where the Raiders opponents were 25 games over 0.500 after removing the top 2 W/L records. Which honestly would be a really tough trick since before removing them their opponents were only 2 gms over 0.500. Even using your numbers - which I think are wrong: the resulting opponents records are: 112-110-1 for Washington and 120-103-1 for Oakland. Who did they play that had a tie? Anyway - that's still just a 17 gm difference - only 15 from Washington. Where do you get 25 from?

More importantly, you made the statement that the Oakland SOS was significantly harder than the Redskins. Not seeing that in the data. Where did you come to that conclusion?

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

So, what do we offer Captain Kirk?

Would he go for 22m/yr if we guaranteed 60m?

I doubt it.  He offered a team-friendly deal last year, which we rejected. Even a nice guy like Kirk isn't  dumb enough to make that mistake twice.

If I were his agent, I'd tell Bruce and Dan, "My client's plan is to take your $24M this year, your $29M next year, and hit the open market in 2019 to sign a record breaking contract with a team that is ready to make a deep playoff run.  If you want a deal, you need to make an offer that's better than that."

4 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I doubt it.  He offered a team-friendly deal last year, which we rejected. Even a nice guy like Kirk isn't  dumb enough to make that mistake twice.

Fact, you have no clue if this above statement is true. 

The numbers reported continue to be all over the place. No one definitively knows. Unless you have some insider information or something. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Sorry, but I believe you are incorrect - again. The preseason SOS was Redskins 17th - Oakland 15th. The final was Redskins 11th - Oakland 14th. I used the final and quite frankly even gave you the chart to show where the data come from. Can you please show me where your data is coming from? I believe it to be incorrect. If the chart I found is wrong - then I would really like to know. I try to be as factual as possible.

You are correct. I was looking at records of 2017 opponents.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

If I were his agent, I'd tell Bruce and Dan, "My client's plan is to take your $24M this year, your $29M next year, and hit the open market in 2019 to sign a record breaking contract with a team that is ready to make a deep playoff run.  If you want a deal, you need to make an offer that's better than that."

IF this were the case then let him walk.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Fact, you have no clue if this above statement is true. 

The numbers reported continue to be all over the place. No one definitively knows. Unless you have some insider information or something. 

I have the same information everyone except you has: Multiple insiders familiar with last year's negotiations leaked that Kirk was willing to sign a three year deal worth $19.5M/year, but Bruce Allen was not.  This leak must have come from Kirk's agent, because it makes their side look good.  The Redskins have not leaked a competing narrative, because the initial leak was true.

If you're waiting for a signed statement from Kirk and Bruce about what happened last year, you'll be waiting forever. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

IF this were the case then let him walk.

Walk now?  Or after this season? Or after the $29M 2018 season?

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Walk now?  Or after this season? Or after the $29M 2018 season?

After the season. I think the team will transition tag him but won't match the absurd contract he'll end up getting.

also, he doesn't have to sign the transition tag if he doesn't want to.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

also, he doesn't have to sign the transition tag if he doesn't want to.

Yeah, but we'd still have the right of first refusal on any contract he signs elsewhere.

Also, why wouldn't he sign the transition offer sheet?  One year $28.7M, and he can still negotiate with other teams.

Archived