Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Wasn't sure if this was posted...supposed to be released today.

Over 100 Republicans, including former officials, threaten to split from the G.O.P.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/politics/republicans-third-party-trump.html

More than 100 Republicans, including some former elected officials, are preparing to release a letter this week threatening to form a third party if the Republican Party does not make certain changes, according to an organizer of the effort.

The statement is expected to take aim at former President Donald J. Trump’s stranglehold on Republicans, which signatories to the document have deemed unconscionable.

“When in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice,” reads the preamble to the full statement, which is expected to be released on Thursday.

The effort comes as House Republican leaders are expected on Wednesday to oust Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming from their ranks because of her outspoken criticism of Mr. Trump’s election lies.

“This is a first step,” said Miles Taylor, an organizer of the effort and a former Trump-era Department of Homeland Security official who anonymously wrote a book condemning the Trump administration. In October, Mr. Taylor acknowledged he was the author of both the book and a 2018 New York Times Op-Ed article.

“This is us saying that a group of more than 100 prominent Republicans think that the situation has gotten so dire with the Republican Party that it is now time to seriously consider whether an alternative might be the only option,” he said.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think that new party will get much traction. It's almost too late at this point. Most of the GOP base is 100% on the Trump Train now. 

Would they even be able to garner enough support to get on the ballot for a general election?

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Unfortunately I don't think that new party will get much traction. It's almost too late at this point. Most of the GOP base is 100% on the Trump Train now. 

Would they even be able to garner enough support to get on the ballot for a general election?

yeah if it was going to happen it needed to be Trump forming a 3rd party to gather enough of the crazies away. Most republicans will stick with the party regardless 

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Do they have a problem with Trump?  Or with the GOP becoming transparently evil?  

For example, how do they feel about voter suppression?  Gerrymandering?  Vaccine mythology?  

I think they have a problem with the vaccine/mask/stolen election/Capitol insurrection/ etc

im fully expecting them to otherwise adopt standard gop stances on other things. 

though it would be wild if they abandon the whole “government = bad” mantra and adopted policies aimed at being alternatives to the democrats. 

not holding my breath. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think there are a lot of people that would like another option. Both in general, and in response to the trumper thing. And I think there are moderates and people who recently voted Democrat that would like that. 

i am surely one of those people. 

but I think it’s success depends on two things: 

- what I responded to Larry with above. Is this strictly an anti-trumper thing? Or is this a top to bottom overhaul of the platform? I would look seriously at it if it’s an overhaul. But if it’s just an anti-trumper thing, and otherwise keeping some of the clearly bad agenda items, then I’m not interested. And at that point I’m not sure how many people would be. I think strictly anti-trumper severely cuts the number of people you can appeal to. 

- what’s the funding and what’s the plan? I’m not smart enough to know what the plan should be, but I am smart enough to know that launching a viable third party requires some intense and well thought out planning. And lots of money. 

either way if it succeeds in cutting into the Republican Party’s election chances at the federal level and in many states, that’s a win for us. 

and in terms of what support really looks like - I’ll point out the Virginia gop decided to hold a convention so they could pick a moderate candidate to try to compete better. Because with primaries they wind up with insane people that can’t win. So I think there may be more support for this than is realized 

• Like 2

I get the whole, republicans will vote republican, no matter what argument.

But this can only help democrats no matter how you chop it up.  While Trump invigorated the party, he's also causing it problems.  The line of divide in the country isn't that wide for them to afford to lose any votes, as we saw a few months back.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

AOC is a 31 year old who grew up in the Bronx. MTG is a 46 year old from bum**** GA. AOC would probably have gone HAM on her ass.

That being said, while it would have been insanely satisfying to see AOC knock MTG into next week, it would have only given the right wingers ammo (along with possible criminal charges against AOC).

"SEE??? WE TOLD YOU!!! LEFTISTS ARE VIOLENT THUGS!!! ANTIFA! BLM! TERRORISTS! WHERE IS THE CIVILITY???"

They just make **** up anyways.  If you're gonna be accused of something, may as well take the benefits of it (like seeing MTG's bloody face on the news).

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

It seems like MTG was just doing the usual "let's distract from the headlines about the GOP trying to re-write history about January 6th....by randomly bringing up BLM & Antifa as the reaaaaal terrorsts" tactic.   Trying to draw AOC into a conversation that would go nowhere even if she stopped to chat.  AOC didn't take the bait.

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

One thing that their platform could address is being anti-voter suppression. That would really mark them as different. 

Yep, because they may not want to admit it, but those policies are going to help a lot of them have easier paths to victory in the future as well, so I fully expect them to dodge or stay quiet as much as possible on those sorts of issues even though they are directly related to Trumpism and the results of the 2020 election.

• Like 1

‘A call for American renewal’: A manifesto from over 150 Republican Party reformers

Editor’s note: In the wake of Rep. Liz Cheney’s (R-WY) ouster from GOP House leadership, this statement of principles, organized by Evan McMullin and Miles Taylor and signed by more than 150 prominent conservatives, announces a new political movement dedicated “to our founding ideals” and “a rebirth of the American cause.” Among the signers are four former governors, including Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld and South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford; 27 former members of the U.S. House of Representatives, including Barbara Comstock, Charlie Dent and Paul Mitchell; and one former Senator David Durenberger. Other prominent names include attorney George Conway, husband of senior Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway; White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci; former Department of Homeland Security official Elizabeth Neumann; and former DHS general counsel John Mitnick.

These United States, born of noble convictions and aspiring to high purpose, have been an exemplar of self-government to humankind. Thus, when in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice. We, therefore, declare our intent to catalyze an American renewal, and to either reimagine a party dedicated to our founding ideals or else hasten the creation of such an alternative. We call for a rebirth of the American cause and do so in partnership and loyal competition with others committed to the preservation of our Union. With abiding belief in the value and potential of every soul and with goodwill for all, we hereby dedicate ourselves to these principles and make common cause in the flourishing of this great nation and its diverse states, communities, and citizens.

Click on the link for the full manifesto

I'm not worried about any of this garbage, if they want to be the party of Trump, let them. This isn't going to last, it never lasts. This is just another gimmick, everything is a gimmick with the GOP because they don't have anything worthwhile to run on. If they want to double down on Trump, the guy who gave them some of the worst political losses in American history, let them. They'll either lose and dump him or lose, keep him and keep on losing.

Yeah because in 2024 when Trump runs again and he goes up against either Biden or Harris watch about 50% of those 150 GOPers vote for Trump again anyway.

Sorry but being anti-democracy is not something you can continue to be "same tent, but....the good side of the tent" on.

Part of me thinks they are just trying to form a "maybe we can rally enough people to vote against Trump" the way the Dems did in 2020, so I suppose their slogan can be "90% of the horrible policy Trump wants.....but with a smile!"

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, China said:

‘A call for American renewal’: A manifesto from over 150 Republican Party reformers

Editor’s note: In the wake of Rep. Liz Cheney’s (R-WY) ouster from GOP House leadership, this statement of principles, organized by Evan McMullin and Miles Taylor and signed by more than 150 prominent conservatives, announces a new political movement dedicated “to our founding ideals” and “a rebirth of the American cause.” Among the signers are four former governors, including Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld and South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford; 27 former members of the U.S. House of Representatives, including Barbara Comstock, Charlie Dent and Paul Mitchell; and one former Senator David Durenberger. Other prominent names include attorney George Conway, husband of senior Trump advisor Kellyanne Conway; White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci; former Department of Homeland Security official Elizabeth Neumann; and former DHS general counsel John Mitnick.

These United States, born of noble convictions and aspiring to high purpose, have been an exemplar of self-government to humankind. Thus, when in our democratic republic, forces of conspiracy, division, and despotism arise, it is the patriotic duty of citizens to act collectively in defense of liberty and justice. We, therefore, declare our intent to catalyze an American renewal, and to either reimagine a party dedicated to our founding ideals or else hasten the creation of such an alternative. We call for a rebirth of the American cause and do so in partnership and loyal competition with others committed to the preservation of our Union. With abiding belief in the value and potential of every soul and with goodwill for all, we hereby dedicate ourselves to these principles and make common cause in the flourishing of this great nation and its diverse states, communities, and citizens.

Click on the link for the full manifesto

Bill Weld ran as Gary Johnson's VP running mate for the Libertarian Party, and Evan McMullin ran as the Presidential candidate for the Constitution party.  If folks like them can help drive the platform while the ring-kissers stick with the not-so-Grand Old Party, it may yet become something other than "Pre-Trump Republican Party".

This is all golden for Greene. She'll raise money off being a piece of ****. In the end, she doesn't want to be an elected official. She wants to be on TV and the Radio with her own shows. Charging MAGA groups speaker fees to get up and go after every minor group for being unamerican. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is all golden for Greene. She'll raise money off being a piece of ****. In the end, she doesn't want to be an elected official. She wants to be on TV and the Radio with her own shows. Charging MAGA groups speaker fees to get up and go after every minor group for being unamerican. 

This is a good point. It's likely that pretty much none of these new MAGA asshats who have been recently elected to office have any interest whatsoever in being elected officials, let alone writing laws. They're grifters, just like their golden idol. They want the money and fame that comes from being a famous MAGA mouthpiece.

I remember reading about how one recent freshman MAGA House member admitted proudly that he didn't spend a cent of his allotted money for staffers on experts in crafting/reviewing legislation...he spent the whole lot on "communications" people, meaning all he cares about is making lots of noise and nothing else.