Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: The N.F.L. and the Business of Ripping Out the Heart of Oakland

No Excuses

“I was not surprised, but I was entirely disappointed,” Schaaf told me afterward. “I do not regret that we stood firm on no public funding for stadium constructions.”

In the N.F.L.’s world, displays of principle and common economic sense are for chumps. Las Vegas and Nevada adopted the league’s preferred stance: They rolled belly up. Politicians raised taxes to provide a historic $750 million public subsidy.

This led to unremarked-upon cognitive dissonance in Las Vegas. Even as politicians increased taxes for stadiums, Clark County school officials voted last spring to increase public class sizes and to close a school for at-risk students. There was simply no money. “This is the last thing we ever want to do,” Linda Young, president of the school board, said at that time.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/sports/football/raiders-move-oakland-las-vegas.html?referer=

Kinda makes me respect Jack Kent Cooke even more. When he tried to build a stadium in DC, all he asked was for a Metro station to be built to the stadium. Then mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly then started making demands like a percentage of parking revenue and quotas for the number of DC residents to be employed. Her demands were even more ridiculous given that she had offered all kinds of concessions to lure a baseball team.

Stadium funding is the worst kind of corporate welfare. Free money to billionaires who employ millionaires.

21 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It still baffles my mind that the public doesn't make a bigger deal out of this. I get that we love sports, but to some extent, it seems like the relationship of the NFL (especially) with the public has crossed into a fairly toxic zone. 

Just look at all the **** talking done about the team in the Stadium, then when it comes to put up or shut up time, the fans have a Heavens Gate like mindset. These filthy rich dudes will exploit that all day

The NFL is not alone in getting special treatment.  States and municipalities do this all time to ply businesses away from other states  *cough* Texas *cough*

You also have to also consider how much the Raiders are going to add to the Las Vegas/Nevada tax base during the length of the lease.

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

You also have to also consider how much the Raiders are going to add to the Las Vegas/Nevada tax base during the length of the lease.

You absolutely should. Can you find a study that shows Vegas will get their $750 million back?

32 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The NFL is not alone in getting special treatment.  States and municipalities do this all time to ply businesses away from other states  *cough* Texas *cough*

Maybe the Raiders can do for Las Vegas what the Bengals have done for Hamilton County, Ohio. Which is to say, it may bankrupt it.

Every study ever published on this subject shows that sports are simply entertainment dollars. If those dollars weren't spent on football games, they would be spent at the movies or at a restaurant or at a play. The difference is that multi-plexes don't see t-shirts and don't tend to extract billions in taxpayer dollars from municipalities.

42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Check out how much money Jerry Jones could make in all of these west coast moves. 

He's a lunatic who has probably cost his team around 3 more Super Bowls over the years (and for that I remain thankful), but Jones is also an absolute business genius.

How this is not self-dealing is a question that I would like to see answered, of course.

On March 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Corcaigh said:

You absolutely should. Can you find a study that shows Vegas will get their $750 million back?

When the Milwaukee Bucks made their big push for a public ally funded new arena, it was talked about how it would revitalize the entire state. I am in one of the 5 counties paying for Miller Park (Brewers) via tax that was supposed to end a few years back. Haven't seen any revitalization from that project yet. 

From article:

As it happened, I was on the telephone with Mayor Libby Schaaf of Oakland on Monday when the N.F.L.’s chief pirate called to say that his fellow corsairs would steal away her city’s beloved Raiders.

Oh just freaking stop it! 

The Raiders were dead last in revenue generated in 2015

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193553/revenue-of-national-football-league-teams-in-2010/

They were 2nd to last in home game attendance averaging just 85% capacity...the ONLY team worse was the St Louis Rams who moved too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures

You cannot tell me that a team like the Raiders is the heart of your city if you don't attend, you don't buy merchandise and you don't support the franchise! 

Not to mention that Oakland didn't seem to mind ripping the heart out of Los Angeles in 1994, so at best the Raiders in Oakland were a heart transplant that was financially rejected by its host.

We can argue all day about the soundness of taxes for stadiums, but that just ignores the facts that Oakland didn't support the team in any other way either.

So...as an owner you're faced with a decision; you can stay were there is no committed and supporting fanbase, you can stay were you lose 15% of occupancy revenue every home game, and you can stay where there is no civic support for the franchise.

...or....you can go where you have #3 and a shot at building 1 & 2.

Oakland will probably move in 20 years. The Chargers are definitely going to fail in L.A..

Dan Snyder is going to play the stadium game probably in another 5 to 10 years.

I think any business that ask for taxpayer dollars/taxbreaks should be audited. Why do they need that break or taxpayer funding things?

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Oakland will probably move in 20 years. The Chargers are definitely going to fail in L.A..

Dan Snyder is going to play the stadium game probably in another 5 to 10 years.

I think any business that ask for taxpayer dollars/taxbreaks should be audited. Why do they need that break or taxpayer funding things?

Snyder is already playing the stadium game, he's evidently been in talks with representatives in NoVa and Terry McAulife.  Luckily, but not surprisingly, the residents are strongly opposed to it because of the financial outlay and traffic concerns.

It's not like Snyder can threaten to move the team, because no new city would have the incredible memories from the 80s that have kept its fans loyal through the annual trainwrecks. The franchise would lose a billion dollars in value overnight. All he can do is play MD, DC, and NoVA  against each other.

There was a need when JKC aka FedEx Field was built - people were stuck on waiting lists for years for season tickets.  Now they have to run promos to sell tickets and have torn down sections of the stadium to reduce seating in order to preserve the myth of sellout crowds...and avoid TV blackouts.

JKC added 30k seats of extra capacity, but I bet whatever stadium design Danny goes with will REDUCE seating capacity, so he can hide the drop in demand for the lousy product that has plagued our gridiron for the last two decades. No need to subsidize a new Skins stadium...hell, there's no real need for a new Stadium; just take some of that money you were gonna blow on the next Haynesworth and upgrade the turf.

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Snyder is already playing the stadium game, he's evidently been in talks with representatives in NoVa and Terry McAulife.  Luckily, but not surprisingly, the residents are strongly opposed to it because of the financial outlay and traffic concerns.

Skins will be looking at moving next. Watch. The fans already hate him and he clearly doesn't give a **** about them either. 

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

It's not like Snyder can threaten to move the team, because no new city would have the incredible memories from the 80s that has kept its fans loyal through the annual trainwrecks. The franchise would lose a billion dollars in value overnight. All he can do is play MD, DC, and NoVA against each other.

You say that. But let the fans actually get it together and get mad. His only recourse will be to move. 

Honestly see him waiting 5 years and moving to Oakland once they have learned their lesson. And then 5 years later they will cycle another team in here. Rinse and repeat. 

Archived