Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

I think part of the "both sides" thing is mental laziness. It takes effort to truly understand an issue, and most issues are more complex than they seem. It takes zero effort to just throw up your hands in disgust and say 'both sides.'

Nah, the both sides thing is a sign of a guilty conscience. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Nah, the both sides thing is a sign of a guilty conscience. 

I think that's a good simplification.  

What I see when I see that game being played, is somebody who

1)  Knows that the person (almost always a Republican, but not always) has done, is wrong

2)  Wants to defend it anyway, because the person is on his side.  

3)  Wants to try to pretend that he's not actually on the side which he defends, 100% of the time, even when he knows they're wrong.  

4)  And so is desperately clinging to a false mental image in which the poster is a neutral moderate who stays out of politics because "they both suck".  

2 hours ago, PF Chang said:

I think part of the "both sides" thing is mental laziness. It takes effort to truly understand an issue, and most issues are more complex than they seem. It takes zero effort to just throw up your hands in disgust and say 'both sides.'

You don't actually have to know anything to assert that, and in my experience the people who consistently cry 'both sides' tend to, well, not know anything. 

While I think this is true, I also think "you're saying both sides are the same" gets thrown around too easily as a means to write off what the person is trying to say.  And I know because it happens to me here all the time.

If the Right kills a bus load of nuns, and I come in here to remind that the Left killed a bus load of puppies, I"m making a point that both sides have issues to address.  But instead it is written off as trying to say they are equal.  No, it's pointing out both sides have issues.  Sure the Right is worse because they killed actual people.  But pointing out the Left did something ****ed up also shouldn't be dismissed.  

I tried a while back to explain a position on free speech comparing white nationalist protesters with NFL players.  I wasn't saying they were the same.  Just drawing a comparison.  And it took me like 3 pages just to get people to realize I wasn't saying they were the same.  A little critical thinking would have told people that.  But it is too easy to just throw out "both sides", "false equivalency", "straw man", or one of the other many dismissive terms used here (and many other places) then to just consider that actual point.

Now I will admit there are posters here that use "both sides" as a way of saying their party is perfect.  But much more often, there is just a point being made.  And it is quickly dismissed because it's easier than looking in a mirror.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Grammar

1 hour ago, visionary said:

****kkkkkkkkkkkkkk that.

They've gerrymandered the House, enjoyed how population distribution lets them get to 51 senators with millions of fewer votes, and colluded with Russia to get the Presidency (and all of this ties into the judiciary too).

So no.  No blind eye to past bad acts, because that's unpatriotic anyway, and also no because we know they'll just do it again, except this time they'll be sure to dismantle justice BEFORE committing the acts so they can't be officially caught.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, twa said:

Care to point out where I was wrong?

Your post certainly didn't.

A big REPUBLICAN donor funded the research that eventually turned into the dossier.

You keep trying to say a Republican wasn't involved in the dossier.  They were, it simply wasn't a dossier YET when they were involved.

But either way, the dossier, while helpful, is small potatoes, and whoever funded it, smaller potatoes still.

An indictment will not be based on the dossier.  It will be based upon testimony and hard evidence presented to a grand jury.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

A big REPUBLICAN donor funded the research that eventually turned into the dossier.

You keep trying to say a Republican wasn't involved in the dossier.  They were, it simply wasn't a dossier YET when they were involved.

But either way, the dossier, while helpful, is small potatoes, and whoever funded it, smaller potatoes still.

An indictment will not be based on the dossier.  It will be based upon testimony and hard evidence presented to a grand jury.

You are wrong, the information in the dossier was collected later from different sources and at anothers direction....and funding of course..

It is small potatoes, but large enough to be used to gain a FISA warrant fwih.

I eagerly await a indictment.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

HRC should have just publicly asked a foreign government to hack Trumpy. That would have won over Trump voters like TWA.

Ya lost me at the first three letters......and obviously many others. :ols:

14 minutes ago, twa said:

You are wrong, the information in the dossier was collected later from different sources and at anothers direction....and funding of course..

It is small potatoes, but large enough to be used to gain a FISA warrant fwih.

I eagerly await a indictment.

You're at odds with reporting.

23 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

You're at odds with reporting.

He’s at odds with himself, thinking, the truth and and many other things. That’s what you have to do in order to maintain his devotion to the GOP and sig in a church pew. But, he’s not unique, apparently 1/3 of the population suffers from the same ailment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If the Right kills a bus load of nuns, and I come in here to remind that the Left killed a bus load of puppies, I"m making a point that both sides have issues to address.  But instead it is written off as trying to say they are equal.  No, it's pointing out both sides have issues.  Sure the Right is worse because they killed actual people.

I'd be way more pissed about the puppies.

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Haha.  Me too.  But I was trying to relate to "normal" people.

I think normal people will be more miss about the puppies. I disagree with th logic, but **** anyone who messes with puppies. 

This needs to be a poll. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

He’s at odds with himself, thinking, the truth and and many other things. That’s what you have to do in order to maintain his devotion to the GOP and sig in a church pew. But, he’s not unique, apparently 1/3 of the population suffers from the same ailment.

You are wrong too, haven't been in a pew for a long time.

I wouldn't mind the GOP going away either.

good thing you don't make a living at this.