Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Win To Get In

TK

5 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Name him.  Right now, within two minutes.

It's this kind of "we can always find someone" (because good quarterbacks hit the open market, right?) or "we can just trade down" (forgetting that it requires a team wanting to trade up) talk that just writes people off.

I agree with you that we're not going to find a guy as good as Cousins, for next year, at a blink of an eye. The notion of "we can get someone that will do just as good right now" is just a bit ridiculous.

That said, If you're telling me that we either...

Sign Kirk Cousins to $24 to $25 million a year with guaranteed money that makes the contract near impossible to shed for the next 3 season

OR

Picking up Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Kellen Moore, Landry Jones, Josh Johnson or Colt McCoy for relatively cheap and draft a QB between the 1st and 3rd in the next two years

OR 

Franchise Kirk and go the above draft route next year

I'd be fine with either of those two later situations. Because right now, I'm not confident tying up top 5 money in Cousins and hamstringing this team a bit, while at the same time I'm not thinking we're going to just replace him with someone that's going to be equally as good immedietely. The reality is, if we let him go it's going to be a step back at that position at least initially....but long term wise, depending on what he and his agent are demanding, that step back may allow for a greater step forward in the future.

24 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

This doesn't change how I feel about Cousins.  It is a team game.  I thought the Lions should have dumped Stafford... and look how he played.  

I remember SD had same doubts about Brees when they dumped him.  

Panthers, Cardinals, Giants, Lions were all playoff games and team lost them.  That is it.  I get over it as a fan.  

Cousins is a top 10 QB and capable of being top 5 on a consistent basis.  

Stupid to dump him and throw away next 3 years struggling to find QB... and if he sucks in 3 years than Redskins in same boat.  

Half of me agrees with this. The rational half, that knows guys like Brees, Stafford, Romo, Ryan all had slumps and periods where they didn't seem to "have it" in big games. 

The other half, the maybe emotional/irrational half, gets these feelings of deja vu with Gruden/Cousins where it's more of a relief when things go well than a joy...bc when things don't go well, its "here we go all over again" bc when they fail, it's always the same way they've failed before and feels like there's no progress being made. 

That part of me, the part sick of the deja vu, can't help but wonder after a game like this...setting aside the rationality of it for a moment...would it be more fun for me as a fan to ditch the "same old same old" crew and start from scratch with a new coaching staff, an investment in the D and running game, and an as-yet undetermined grab bag QB in the 3rd round or so from this weak QB class? "How badly could it go?", I wonder. 

Or is that just the battered fan syndrome talking and it's really better and smarter and more satisfying in the end to stay the course? Am I just addicted to the forced hope that comes with new beginnings, or could we be better off going that route? 

I have no idea.

1 minute ago, Cliffmark1 said:

Here is an idea. Let a GM pick the HC. 

I like Jay. I really do, and by all accounts, he and Scot have a great relationship.

That said, since the day he was hired, I've had this feeling like Scot wouldn't ever get complete control of this team until he was able to bring in his HC, and subsequently their QB. This all feels like a forced marriage, doesn't seem natural to me and I keep thinking that we're prolonging the inevitable. I wouldn't want to be Scot for the next few months for all the money in the world.

1 minute ago, s0crates said:

I agree, but you'll have to convince Jay to run the football.

And actually we started to finally wear down their D towards the end of the third and going into the 4th getting positive yardage and we moved away from it again.  It is infuriating.  I totally agree that Cousin's can help win games but he is NO Rodger, Brady or Brees.  And has not earned the paycheck he is seeking.  And because he may have a moronic agent who will try to convince him otherwise we will either have to let him walk or tag him again.  It is a ****ty situation.

4 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

This is a great example of a QB who gets paid a lot of money and puts up tons of yards and it means absolutely nothing in the end, at least for the last 6 years.

It's actually an example of a first ballot HOF QB who is playing on a team with a crap defense.  

Another ERS example would be Dan Marino.  Except Brees has a SB. 

Without Brees, the Saints are the Browns. 

9 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I like Jay.

Skins Passion is the king of hot takes.  I want to see where this takes us.

He's like Hitler in post-World War I Europe right now, trying to collect followers.

Honest to God, today would have been a throwaway if we had a league-average defense. No reason to push, no fuss. 10-6, easy. No one would be jumping off a bridge. I'm not sure how close we are to such lofty aspirations, but the Cowboys pulled off an improvement like that in an offseason or two. Cousins can expedite this process by recognizing what he's actually worth.

That said, I can understand why we would retain Jay. I'm disappointed by how flat we've come out for the past month, but there are smaller fish to fry to less potential negative consequence before throwing out the entire coaching staff. I've lost all hope for McVay in recent weeks and Barry is a joke, but Jay can still retain my respect by making some hard choices.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Ah ok, gotcha. I was just thinking if we franchised him and then a team would have to give up two 1sts to get him. 

In that scenario, I don't see any team giving up two 1st round picks for Kirk.

I like the guy, but I don't see him as elite, and only elites should command that kind of return in a trade.

5 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

This is a great example of a QB who gets paid a lot of money and puts up tons of yards and it means absolutely nothing in the end, at least for the last 6 years.

What's unfortunate about today is we would have had a chance to play the weakest team in the playoffs, Seattle looks terrible the last 5 weeks.

That QB has won them a Super Bowl. The fault of that team is that they have been poor at building a defense. You have to have a defense that can stop people. If anything, this game performance and a few others should lower the contract numbers and give us more space to bring in better defenders.

Taking the emotion out of this, which is not easy right now. I think if we can build a defense that is top 10 or close to it, then Kirk can lead us on a deep playoff run. He needs to overcome moments like today though. But hey, just last season the knock was he couldn't beat winning teams nor good defenses and he's done that this year, so hopefully he overcomes the jitters in big games with more experience and more support around him.

6 minutes ago, bh32 said:

So Andrew Luck is? What about his teams record..everyone makes excuses for him not having a running game.

That doesnt mean we have to make the same mistake Indy and Houston did. I want Cousins and Gruden back. The offense has been excellent the past year and a half. But I dont want to pay Cousins top 5 money and hamstring the rest of the team. His sample size is big enough to prove what he is at this point. A middle of the pack starter in the NFL. I just dont think we will get him on a team friendly deal. He will get paid somewhere else for sure.

Trying to find positives. I think we stick with current regime. Kirk can play and has proven that. He just cannot hold his **** together when he needs to lead. He shouldn't make over 20mil a season after tonight. Jay deserves another season. Let this thing ride. Any decline or steps sideways and heads should roll.

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If he wants to be paid like the best QB in the game, or even a top 3 QB, he damn well better be able to carry a team. That's what true elite QBs do if they have to. He is not elite. 

So Brees,Luck,Rivers,Newton are all elite right? so why are those teams not in the playoffs?

The problem with many fans is that they are comparing the current situation with Vinny, Zorn, Spurrier, etc.....that should not be the standard.

In terms of Kirk...please don't talk about stats....Blake Bortles had great stats too......Kirk is a robot...no playmaking skills whatsoever.....If everthing is good around him, He can play very well......I can't bring him back at 25 million...sorry

12 minutes ago, DC9 said:

No they didn't... the run wasn't getting us anywhere.

What about trying a change of pace with Mack Brown? Same old coaching mistakes that we've seen for three years now. Time for some changes. Barry... out, Gruden one last chance to improve as a Head Coach, Cousins, re-sign at a reduced cost to enable defensive improvements. 

For those of you who don't Twitter, Vernon Davis really wants to come back long-term.

I'd totally welcome this, in part because I feel like Vernon would come back for a really reasonable and realistic contract. I heard him talking earlier this year about how he understood his role, understood this was Jordan's team at TE, understood and enjoyed the idea of basically helping to mentor the guy and to play a role rather than being "the guy" at the TE sport. He was productive, he's good all around (which helps a ton, as it doesn't give away what we're doing on offense), and provides a reliable threat for those times Jordan is a bit banged up.

I wouldn't pay him outrageous money, but based on past statements by him and him weakening his own leverage a bit by saying publicly he wants to be here, I feel like he'll take a reasonable contract.

10 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I still hate the 'Boys more, although I definitely hate the Giants. But I also have to TOTALLY respect them for how they handled this game. They had nothing to play for and they went out and played like they were in OUR position. Sometimes you just have to bow to your opponent, as much as you don't want to. They showed exactly the same toughness and passion that I wish we'd show more of, but seem incapable of when it matters most. 

You respect the way they played? Like Beckham instigating Norman to get personal fouls? **** the Giants! I respect you but I definitely don't respect the ****ing Giants players or their ownership.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

The Giants have surpassed the Cowboys as the most hated team in the division for me.

Why?  We did this to ourselves.  The Giants gave us EVERY chance to win this game.  This was totally self inflicted.  Hell, I thank the Giants for pointing out our weaknesses, yet again, without really trying too hard. WE did this.  The Giants simply played professional football.  Kudos to them, damnit. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Honest to God, today would have been a throwaway if we had a league-average defense. No reason to push, no fuss. 10-6, easy. No one would be jumping off a bridge. I'm not sure how close we are to such lofty aspirations, but the Cowboys pulled it off an improvement like that in an offseason or two. Cousins can expedite this process by recognizing what he's actually worth.

That said, I can understand why we would retain Jay. I'm disappointed by how flat we've come out for the past month, but there are smaller fish to fry to less potential negative consequence before throwing out the entire coaching staff. I've lost all hope for McVay in recent weeks and Barry is a joke, but Jay can still retain my respect by making some hard choices.

If the team fires Joe Barry I'll feel better about staying on the Jay bandwagon. He has learned and improved a lot since season 1. He still has a ways to go but in the end the results are now 2 winning record seasons in a row despite abhorrent defenses. Jay, even with his faults, should get to finish out the current contract.

2 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

I'd totally welcome this, in part because I feel like Vernon would come back for a really reasonable and realistic contract. I heard him talking earlier this year about how he understood his role, understood this was Jordan's team at TE, understood and enjoyed the idea of basically helping to mentor the guy and to play a role rather than being "the guy" at the TE sport. He was productive, he's good all around (which helps a ton, as it doesn't give away what we're doing on offense), and provides a reliable threat for those times Jordan is a bit banged up.

I wouldn't pay him outrageous money, but based on past statements by him and him weakening his own leverage a bit by saying publicly he wants to be here, I feel like he'll take a reasonable contract.

That catch he made today was absurd. 

This game would have been so much better if Cousins had played lights out and we lost because the D gave up 45 points. This was the nightmare scenario. We all question Cousins more than ever now, and there's a spark of hope for Barry that had almost been snuffed out.

This is truly the darkest timeline.

Who's up for getting a defense-minded HC? I feel like, while they may not always win as much as offense-minded guys, but they produce tougher, more disciplined teams. It's been a very long time since we've had a truly tough, intimidating team, or one that is highly disciplined.

When asked if he wanted to stay, Kirk demurred to "the ball is in their [the team's] court."

He went on to say "I had the ball in my court, but I recognized it was coming down to the wire and accidentally threw it away into Scot's hands" ;)

Archived