Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Win To Get In

TK

Forgot to mention my "favorite" moment from today's game.  For those of you who were fortunate enough to not attend in person, at halftime Lou Holder was on the mic and went over the permutations of who the Skins could play in the opening round of the playoffs.

This when the Skins had as many points on the board as Ohio State scored last night.

It was just so out of touch.  And frankly it agitated me at the time.

1 hour ago, StephenDavis said:

Is it just geographics or do we really suck as a fan base? 

Washington's fan base is "meh." I can name a slew of stadiums that would not have had their stadiums filled with the other teams fans with the stakes being so high.

On a side note, as meh as I am, I'm still awake and engaged on this board, moreso than I have been in a while. This board is highly entertaining in the offseason- mainly because of the inherent conflicts between the respected and intelligent posters, and the doomsday-fire everyone-start a new whiny thread a minute people. As much as I love the fact that this board doesn't tolerate much of that behavior, the responses to it from the level headed folk can sure be entertaining. 

That being said, not sure which group I'm with. 

Do we understand the concept of a "quick pass"? I feel like we used to, but recently it's 3rd and 6/7/8 and we always attempt a pass of 30+ yards. Just making it more difficult for ourselves. I understand the surprise element but it's not a surprise when you constantly do it.

Is Josh Norman starting to irritate anyone else? If you're going to yap and become a liability on the field by fighting with other guys, you need to be a consistently outstanding player and he is not. Full disclosure: as a general rule for me personally, I don't like guys who yap. If you're a bad player who yaps about being great, you're delusional and a liar. If you're a great player who yaps about being great, you're being redundant and projecting insecurity. Play the damned game and let everyone else talk about how good you are. Just my opinion.

Lastly: Cousins if fine. We can talk about how much money he does or doesn't deserve but the bottom line is the football numbers don't lie and he is not the issue with this team. By all statistics he is improving and he's still relatively early into his career.

We've got something going on offense. With better blocking and a cohesive defense this team has a lot of potential. That's what I'm going to tell myself, at least.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Half of me agrees with this. The rational half, that knows guys like Brees, Stafford, Romo, Ryan all had slumps and periods where they didn't seem to "have it" in big games. 

The other half, the maybe emotional/irrational half, gets these feelings of deja vu with Gruden/Cousins where it's more of a relief when things go well than a joy...bc when things don't go well, its "here we go all over again" bc when they fail, it's always the same way they've failed before and feels like there's no progress being made. 

Deju Vu?!  What deja vu world did we ever have a QB put up 2 straight 4000 yard seasons?  Cousins did that --against strong teams and scrub teams.  

I have Deju Vu going back to 1999-2000, when the QB I liked (Trent Green) left due to the ownership change.  Since then it has been a carosel of "could be this guy"... Tony Banks, Brad Johnson, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Mcnabb, RG3 (we had big things for him.. too bad he never developed beyond).  

Kirk Cousins has solidified a question mark on this roster.  Sure, we should draft a young QB to develop, and push Cousins --- but dumping him because he has off games is ridiculous.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-giants-found-plenty-to-play-for-in-meaningless-game-against-redskins/2017/01/01/6fde4122-d068-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.961962436791

The New York Giants technically didn’t have anything to play for in their regular season finale. They were already locked in to the NFC’s fifth seed regardless of Sunday’s outcome against the Washington Redskins, needing just to walk away from FedEx Field without a significant injury before their first-round playoff matchup next week.

So they found reasons to make this game meaningful. Facing a division opponent seeking a victory that would all but clinch the sixth seed, the Giants — not the Redskins — were the aggressors. They found enough reasons to play their best, despite the absence of any postseason implications.

New York, not its opponent, looked like the desperate team in its 19-10 victory over Washington. It rested wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. for most of the second half in what Giants Coach Ben McAdoo explained as a “coach’s decision” after the game, yet McAdoo didn’t rest too many other starters at all.

He kept quarterback Eli Manning in the game. He kept defensive end Olivier Vernon in the game. He kept safety Landon Collins in the game. And he got the result he wanted from a Giants team that has suffered four of its five losses this season on the road.

“Physical, hard-nosed win on the road,” McAdoo called it afterward. “That’s exactly what we needed coming in here. Zero turnovers, two takeaways, ran the football, stopped the run. We used all 46 [players] on special teams, and now we move on.”

21 minutes ago, PotomacGator said:

Is Josh Norman starting to irritate anyone else? If you're going to yap and become a liability on the field by fighting with other guys, you need to be a consistently outstanding player and he is not.

Agreed without question.  IMO, when Norman does get beat, he makes up for it by getting under the skin of the #1 WR.  It may have worked with Beckham the first time, but it failed today.  The personal foul was STUPID, uncalled for, and really helped the Vagiants get their TD.  IMO, he makes his living talking, but rarely backs it up.

I probably couldn't disagree more about Norman not delivering. He is far and away the best defensive player on the Redskins and considering Breeland, Whitner, Nacho and practially every other player in the secondary have had games where they were beat more often than Norman has been all season, I think any comments outside some of his dumb penalties sounds silly.

IF Cousins is back with the team next year, I hope that INT haunts him all summer long, the same way the Russell Wilson never forgot about the INT vs New England.  Grant it, two completely different situations.  Cousins needs to improve by leaps and bounds next year if he truly is a franchise QB.  These types of mistakes cannot happen anymore.  

8 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

No they didn't.

The only reason the Giants score was so low was because their offense has been so anemic lately. A good offense would've put 30+ on this defense today.

The Giants have struggled mightily to rush the football the last few weeks. So much so, that they basically benched Jennings.

Today, the Giants rushed for almost ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY YARDS, and made it look easy.

The Redskins' offense played poorly today, but the defense doesn't get a break. It is the same ****ty defense we've seen most of the second half of the year.

Bottome line is they gave up 13 points. Yes you played good enough to win when u give up 13 points. Our offense should have been able to score 14 at home. I'm not some "our defense is fine" guy, but today they played ok. Our O forgot to get off the buss in the first half and put up a 0 burger. 

In the end we didn't deserve a playoff appearance because the team as a whole was not good enough & crapped the bed the final 6 weeks after being 6-3-1..

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sheehan opens up the show this morning telling us that Cooley approached him after the pregame show and said "there's some stuff going on, they're going to lose today. They might not be dialed in" 

eluded to distractions. ?

Yeah heard the same thing, it got my attention considering Cooley with most of the guys covering the team were big time overconfident all week leading up to the game.  He said there are some players on the Redskins who didn't care if they won or lost.   

So frustrating. Hopefully those guys are weeded out. 

I agree with him regarding the fact that there is no fire or leadership on the team. These guys are just so ho-hum on the sideline as the wheels are falling off. 

Nobody rallies the troops. Cousins doesn't, Gruden doesn't, Kerrigan doesn't etc. they just sit there and take it 

Gutless. Have some pride 

45 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sheehan opens up the show this morning telling us that Cooley approached him after the pregame show and said "there's some stuff going on, they're going to lose today. They might not be dialed in" 

Hmmm. Really curious to hear the details on this

i must be masochisist- last thing I did when I went to bed and first thing when I woke up was to hang out in here. Glutton for pain

46 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Interesting being as I distinctly remember yelling out in the 3rd quarter "Somebody show some heart!"  The lady sitting beside me nodded in agreement. 

If this is true, my question is: Why should I care if some of the players don't?

Very disheartening to hear. 

I didn't know this but Cooley said that players only get like $25k a game for the playoffs. So it's a lot of extra work and effort simply because you want to win and want to be in the playoffs rather than any monetary or contractual gain 

He opened up about how on the flight back from Seattle after the 05 loss he was on the plane and thought "yeah we could have done something but now I don't have to wake up early on Wednesday." 

Said he didn't learn to love football or develop a "win or die" fight and claw for the postseason mentality until later in his career. 

Archived