Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Win To Get In

TK

1 minute ago, s0crates said:

I'm not happy about this development, but I credit McAdoo for his leadership when everybody was questioning his decision to treat this one like it mattered. 

Seemed like the Redskins didn't believe he meant it.  Cooley who hangs out at Redskins Park and says he talks to players every day -- kept saying all week the Giants don't want this game, it will be a laugher.

2 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Exactly my point..Those QB's are getting paid big money,but aren't being criticized for there teams not making the playoffs...They must suck also

Umm or its the other way around, it's much harder to build a playoff squad and win with those contracts. If the QB is good enough he can put the team on his back and overcome that, but Kirk has shaken any confidence that he might be that guy. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted this in one of the Giants-Redskins threads and that was Casillas made a big motivational speech in practice that the NY reporters heard -- more or less saying, lets shock the Redskins by playing with more intensity than they have -- even though its their playoff neck on the line.   i said back then, it gave me the vibe of lets do to the Redskins what Carolina did.  And yep they pulled it off to a tee.

I didn't see that, but that's EXACTLY what we lack as a team, from the head coach on down. Makes me sick to hear that. I want that kind of attitude on this team so bad and we just don't have it. 

If I wave a magic wand for my (somewhat realistic/hopeful offseason)....

We resign Kirk to around 19 a year with reasonable guarantees

We keep Gruden

We get rid of Berry

We keep Garcon at a good but not stupid contract

We let Desean walk

Get Kenny Stills away from Miami

Draft a RB in the draft somewhat early...I'd love the kid out of Stanford

We find a ILB stud in the early round of the draft

We continue a BPA approach in the draft

We make use of our cap room to get some actual solid defensive FAs (magic wand time...Eric Berry gets away as they have to franchise Poe)

We grab Mike Glennon to compete with Sudfield and Colt for our #2 QB spot

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Kirk sounded like a guy who just had his ass handed to him and was trying to feign some sort of confidence because his agent told him to.

I wouldn't trust a word from any source until it's from the team itself in terms of his future.

Yeah, that presser was not very satisfying. Is it just me or does he rarely, if ever use the word "I" when talking after a loss? It's always "we need to do this better", etc. At some point I'd like him to just man up when he plays bad and say "the bottom line is I didn't get it done today and that's on me"

7 minutes ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Cousins goes where his reads take him after that it gets ugly.Guys were visibly frustrated today & that's not the first time.He doesn't see field great, lacks pocket presence , situational awareness & just seems to wilt in big moments.Terrible way to go into offseason.....WHAT A MESS!!!!!!

I worry that the skill players see that he has no confidence and no real leadership when the chips are done. Very disconcerting to see in the biggest game of the year. And we've seen zip improvement from him in this aspect of his game. I don't know what the answer is. 

And like others have said, and I totally agree: he's a robot out there. Can't make an off script play to save his life. He had about two throws that were on the money today: the rest were low high or behind guys. 

Just now, ZRagone said:

We keep Gruden

We get rid of Berry

We let Desean walk

We make use of our cap room to get some actual solid defensive FAs (magic wand time...Eric Berry gets away as they have to franchise Poe)

I could live with this. Projections are going to be everywhere with McCaffery so it will be hard to predict if he goes round 1 or round 3. We have to go D BPA and we have to hope Doctson recovers and that he can replace DJax. Seeing Desean not in the mix with the game on the line was nuts but he was one of the few guys better in December than he had been in November.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seemed like the Redskins didn't believe he meant it.  Cooley who hangs out at Redskins Park and says he talks to players every day -- kept saying all week the Giants don't want this game, it will be a laugher.

Speaking of Cooley, I started listening to the ESPN980 app this season on mornings after games, and I used to like him a lot more before hearing him on the radio. He comes off as a bit of a choad, and basically downplays the opinions of anyone who disagrees with him.

I think many here are missing the mark on what he's worth. 

He may only be a middle of the pack QB, but the current market will dictate that you have to pay him much more   than that. 

That, and you're also bidding against other QB needy teams. 

You have to overpay. 

I want to add one more thing in this gameday thread before I wrap it up for this season. It was an absolute embarrassment to see all of that blue in the stands today. Your team is basically in a do or die playoff game and you sell your tickets to opposing fans? They are your tickets you can do what you want with them. But if you are a season ticket holder and sold your tickets for this game to a Giants fan. You are weak. 

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I didn't see that, but that's EXACTLY what we lack as a team, from the head coach on down. Makes me sick to hear that. I want that kind of attitude on this team so bad and we just don't have it. 

I actually think that's something we do have. I know it sounds strange after today, but I'm looking back over two years and seeing a team with a good amount of moxie.

Consider our final game of the regular season from last year for example, or the way Garcon and Crowder ran like their lives depended on it today. This team has problems, but I don't think attitude is one of them.

8 minutes ago, s0crates said:

McAdoo played this very well. Two reasons:

1. Now his team will ride high into the playoffs. They've been flat and losing for a couple weeks, but now they've reversed that trend.

2. The Redskins have been faring better against them lately after they had owned us for so long, and he's really stoked the rivalry for next year. He's instilled a sense of urgency and pride when they play us.

I'm not happy about this development, but I credit McAdoo for his leadership when everybody was questioning his decision to treat this one like it mattered. 

Agree 100%. How many times this year were we out Coached? Time for a shakeup in DC. I reluctantly would give Gruden another year for the sake of continuity, but Barry must go! Bring in an aggressive DC and if Gruden can't improve the game day team management, time to make a move there too... too passive for my liking, football is an aggressive sport!!!

45 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Dude browns are ^ way

I'm a redskins fan, not a Kirk fan. If you want to keep boasting about having a QB that throws a lot of yards then have fun. His numbers are mediocre. The only reason he's talked about like he's a HOF is because we've had trash before him. 

9 minutes ago, grego said:

He may only be a middle of the pack QB, but the current market will dictate that you have to pay him much more   than that. 

That, and you're also bidding against other QB needy teams. 

You have to overpay. 

Yup. Look at the QB market. It's simple supply and demand. You can't win without a decent QB, and there aren't enough decent QBs to go around.

Kirk is not Tom Brady, but he is a top 10 QB (top 15 if you're being stingy), and nowadays you have to pay those guys like they're Tom Brady. The fact that Kirk **** the bed today doesn't really change any of that.

6 minutes ago, THEHEREAFTER said:

What are you willing to bet?  Prescott is a stud.

I would bet. He's like Alex Smith in the right place right time. I'd rather we build a team and then worry about the QB position. No point in wasting 25 mil a year on a QB that's no guarantee. We'lol be wasting 50 million of that because we're building up.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I want to add one more thing in this gameday thread before I wrap it up for this season. It was an absolute embarrassment to see all of that blue in the stands today. Your team is basically in a do or die playoff game and you sell your tickets to opposing fans? They are your tickets you can do what you want with them. But if you are a season ticket holder and sold your tickets for this game to a Giants fan. You are weak. 

Absolutely. I'd say the lower bowl was easily 60% Giants fans. We desperately need a smaller stadium.

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm a redskins fan, not a Kirk fan. If you want to keep boasting about having a QB that throws a lot of yards then have fun. His numbers are mediocre. The only reason he's talked about like he's a HOF is because we've had trash before him. 

man ive been here for years. Ive read your posts. Everyone knows you

Kirk isn't hof, but hes a guy you don't want walking away without a fight to keep him

1 minute ago, Gibbit said:

man ive been here for years. Ive read your posts. Everyone knows you

Kirk isn't hof, but hes a guy you don't want walking away without a fight

I'll put up a fight. I don't trust him but I agree it would be dumb to let him walk so long as he's not unrealistic about what he thinks his worth is. He took a chance, he literally had an opportunity tonight to lead the team down on the final drive and take us to the playoffs. Never mind everyone or anything else, the ball was in his hands and this was the opportunity he wanted and he needed to prove who he was. He couldn't handle it. End of story. The entire season could have boiled down to one drive because that's what it was. He couldn't handle it. He has to accept it and be reasonable about his demands. That was the risk he took and for a while he looked like he made the right decision. 

11 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

We keep Gruden

We get rid of Berry

We let Desean walk

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Sure, why not?

I like the idea of getting a top tier RB. I think they are going to come back into fashion, as their aren't enough great QB prospects for every team to have juggernaut passing games. The run game will have to return.

I've been saying for 2 seasons that we need a physical specimen of an ILB who can also QB the defense. Compton is smart, but he's not tough enough.

BPA - as long as they are on defense. We really need to focus there, and we need upgrades at every position.

Berry would be awesome, but overall, I don't think it's a great FA class for defensive players this offseason.

I think Glennon will opt for a team that wants him as a starter. He already has a #2 spot.

5 hours ago, grego said:

What he's worth and what he'll cost are two different things.

What you're talking about is what he will (potentially) cost. That is definite than what he's worth in my mind. 

I think you can win with an Above Average to Good QB in this league, but you have to be able to put a very good team team around them. To do that, you can't be handicapped by paying your Good QB like an Elite QB, limiting your ability to hold onto or stock up on other positions to put together said very good team.

So basically it comes down to what you feel is easier to do:

1. Find an Above Average to Good QB

2. Put together a Good to Very good team when you're paying an Above Average to Good QB an Elite QB contract

7 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Absolutely. I'd say the lower bowl was easily 60% Giants fans. We desperately need a smaller stadium.

The visiting side lower bowl is always full of opposing fans.  I think a lot of those seats are corporately owned.

And really, people want to complain about how bad the stadium has been due to location and whatever, but the single worst thing was greedy Snyder installing the dream seats.  Single handedly lowered the desirability of pretty much the whole 100 section along the sidelines. I know this gets into the "who's a real fan" debate, but who the hell wants to pay $150 and stand all game?

Archived