Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Win To Get In

TK

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

I know we're all heated here, and I'm mixed on Kirk, but why do people keep regurgitating this?  He has eight fourth-quarter/OT wins.  Our defense lost games way more than our offense (I'm talking final drives).  I think this is a commonly-repeated but inaccurate statement.

Yes he has had 4th quarter comebacks. But he has a history of playing poorly in prime time and must win games. When it's all on the line he tends to be, at best, mediocre.

7 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

Why do you Kirk apologists act like he's gonna get better? Dude is what, 28? I get that he hasn't played a lot of years, but we're not talking about a 23 year old Mariotta. This is as good as it gets, and this offense was LOADED. He was the weak link. 

That loaded offense average like 2 yards per carry today, pimp sauce.

He shouldn't get top 3 or top 5 QB money after that...  because top 3 - top 5 QBs win games like today.  But he should be able to come back.

Cousins flat out isnt worth the money he wants, we can get a more than serviceable qb for a good price and the extra cap room left from not throwing 20 mil at Kirk gets us a couple more pieces worth more than anything Kirk can provide.

2 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

run game? play calling? receivers falling down on a field with a history of being poor? refs?

Kirk sucked today overall. But he's not the only one and was not the sole weak link today. We need a legit threat at RB. Kelley is a good temporary solution but we need someone who can run against tough opponents. That's been lost in all this that in the same games Kirk was bad our run game was abysmal. 

Was Harris open? More open than Crowder? It was a careless gamble on first down. His second int was street football bad. He lost me today... might get me back if he steps to the mic and says, "it is going to be a long offseason for me to live with how badly I let the fans and franchise down today. I hope to be back and to continue to grow as a QB. Our D did enough, I was not enough today and I am sorry."

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You're distracted with the wrong records. I care about the ones that get us into playoffs 

was Kirk on the field when Detroit won?  What about when Hopkins missed his field goal? 

He had alost no rushing help in plenty of games and had a D that couldn't get off the field on third downs meaning he had fewer oppurtunities to get in their and do something

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is the same NFL where the Vikings gave up a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford. We could definitely get at least a 1st and 3rd for Cousins.

And Sam Bradford was the number one pick in the draft with an arm TONS better than what Cousins has. He just cant stay healthy. Which I guess you can say is a positive for Cousins. The guy doesnt get hurt. Either we will pay him or someone else will. He is clearly a starting QB in this league. He just is not an elite QB.

Just now, mistertim said:

Yes he has had 4th quarter comebacks. But he has a history of playing poorly in prime time and must win games. When it's all on the line he tends to be, at best, mediocre.

I mean that literally isn't true.  Again, I'm not a Cousins apologist; I just want to win the Super Bowl with as few rapists/murderers on the team as possible.

He has had a lot of games that have been "everything on the line" that he's won.  He ain't Tom Brady, but he's certainly not a consistent failure or "mediocre" winner.

Just now, mistertim said:

The whole team has been at best, awful, for years.  Like decades, years.....

Mediocre is an improvement.  You can win a Championship with Cousins... I'm pretty convinced, but he needs to realize that he is only A part of it and not THE part of it. 

If he doesn't, tag him and let him find a deal elsewhere and take the picks.  We will get them.

Tom Savage is playing in Houston for those of you who don't think we will.  And the Vikings just gave up a 1st plus for Bradford.

Just now, carex said:

was Kirk on the field when Detroit won?  What about when Hopkins missed his field goal? 

He had alost no rushing help in plenty of games and had a D that couldn't get off the field on third downs meaning he had fewer oppurtunities to get in their and do something

You're right. He's the best QB ever and totally didn't throw two INT today or have terrible numbers in red zone or threw pick in Dallas. He's impervious to criticism. Give him 150 million and hope he stops throwing those INT, which he did in like 5 of last 6. 

1 minute ago, -mando- said:

Cousins flat out isnt worth the money he wants, we can get a more than serviceable qb for a good price and the extra cap room left from not throwing 20 mil at Kirk gets us a couple more pieces worth more than anything Kirk can provide.

Name him.  Right now, within two minutes.

It's this kind of "we can always find someone" (because good quarterbacks hit the open market, right?) or "we can just trade down" (forgetting that it requires a team wanting to trade up) talk that just writes people off.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

He was on the field for the INT that ruined the season.

Just now, -mando- said:

Right now the team relies heavily on Kirk. There's no impending FA QB that could be had for a decent price that could do what the team asks of Kirk. We'd need a strong run game and stout D in order for the "cheap but efficient" QB plan to work (like KC did with Smith).

Kirk is still a top QB, but as we have seen has bad games at times. IT is sound reasoning to believe that with a better run game and D there is less pressure on him and his play continues to improve. $20 mil/yr would be reasonable for him right now. But he likely just played himself out of much more than that.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

And Sam Bradford was the number one pick in the draft with an arm TONS better than what Cousins has. He just cant stay healthy. Which I guess you can say is a positive for Cousins. The guy doesnt get hurt. Either we will pay him or someone else will. He is clearly a starting QB in this league. He just is not an elite QB.

Yeah. I have no problem bringing him back. But not for "best QB in the NFL" money or even top 3. He just isn't in that echelon of QBs. Which is what it is, but I'd rather not pay him between 25-30 million per year at the expense of losing some of the playmakers that he relies on as well as not being able to do much in FA to help shore up the poor defense. 

2 minutes ago, carex said:

He did get another shot in London... we forget. Face it... he hasn't done it more than he has when it matters most.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

You're right. He's the best QB ever and totally didn't throw two INT today or have terrible numbers in red zone or threw pick in Dallas. He's impervious to criticism. Give him 150 million and hope he stops throwing those INT, which he did in like 5 of last 6. 

Dude browns are ^ way

12 minutes ago, DC9 said:

See that's the thing about today... if we scored 14 points, we win.

Today was awful with it all on the line for him.  That game could not have ended more poorly for Cousins.

I believe I saw a stat last week that the Skins rushing 20 or more times had them with an 8-1-1 record.  They rushed like 15 times today, so that kind  of sas something about what the Skins needed to do to win.  And considering they were never down more than 10 points maybe they did need to run more

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The whole thing fell apart down the stretch, losing 4 of 6.

That is the depressing part.. Teams need to improve from year to year and I saw basically the same product I saw last year.. (Ie: Choking very bad when they play good teams or in big pressure games)  You'll never be so good that your team isn't under pressure at some point, and I just don't see this team fixing that aspect with current coaches and QB.. It's a bummer..

We can't blame the defense or lack of running game on the outcome today.  The game was there to be won or at least tied, and Kirk made an awful throw.  Nothing leading up to that point in the game effected Cousins choice to throw it into coverage.   He could tucked the ball and ran for 20 yards.  He had options besides "throw to the not open guy"   He stared right down the middle of the field the entire time, and then threw it right to the same spot.   That is on him.

Archived