Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

More fighting for the status quo from @twa

If it was up to him NASA would still be trying to get to space by jumping off the highest rock.

Green energy development stands to be the biggest investment in our nation and the world and yet they would have literally every one else benefit but us. Small minded thinking in a desperate attempt to save a handful of coal jobs when those same coal industries are already expanding into alternative energies.

Seriously, twa you guys lost the argument. The world already knows better, the industry is speaking against you, and yet you insist on damning us to the horse and buggy.

46 minutes ago, twa said:

Nice chart .....unfortunately it did not even provide 1% of our electricity at utility scale

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Throw in rooftop and such and it is a massive 1.47% 

Dude! You are right! Since solar didn't generate all we need it must suck! No sense going after renewables because right now they don't supply what we use.

REALLY @twa that's your argument? #Facepalm

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Dude! You are right! Since solar didn't generate all we need it must suck! No sense going after renewables because right now they don't supply what we use.

REALLY @twa that's your argument? #Facepalm

OK

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Freaking coal mines are looking to install solar panels on coal fields to generate electricity and create jobs...but yeah coal is our future.

Former coal fields, in other words empty real estate with issues that usually need addressed before solar or anything else can be built on them.

I sell bellybutton lint myself.

Just now, twa said:

Former coal fields, in other words empty real estate with issues that usually need addressed before solar or anything else can be built on them.

I sell bellybutton lint myself.

And if it was a boondoggle then an already cash strapped industry wouldn't be investing in them in the HEART of Kentucky coal country. 

tenor.gif

31 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

solar-price-installation-chart.jpg.662x0

(full disclosure... i just googled for "solar cost graph" images... i cannot testify to the exact veracity of this chart.   i CAN testify that it is approximately correct, and passes the eye-ball test)

When you subsidize adoption of a new technology, it leads to actual use of the technology.  use of a new technology allows it to move more rapidly down the steep portion of the "dynamic cost curve"  (the more the new technology is used, the more rapidly people learn to use it efficiently, and prices drop rapidly.)    On the other hand, in mature industries (like thermal coal power generation, as a random example) the massive cumulative usage of the technology that has already occurred has already moved you from the steep portion of the dynamic-cost-curve (where prices drop rapidly) into the more flat portions of the curve (where costs decline much more slowly with increased usage)

THIS is why you subsidize a new technology with "Positive Externalities"  (a clearly defined economics term...not a poetic adjective).

This ignores the fact that you are NOT charging coal generators for the "negative externalities" associated with coal power production (both particulate polution and carbon generation)

AND... even ignoring the externalities (ACTUAL solar is cheaper than its market price, coal is more expensive than its market price).. solar HAS already caught up with coal in cost per KWH.... (but it still cannot replace coal as baseload power)    Price quotes that show solar as massively more expensive than coal look at the average cost per KWH of existing power sources.    coal remains relatively constant i terms of technological usage (but the price of coal has plummeted lately, with the sustained sluggish global economic growth, and the move AWAY from coal usage)... but the price of solar has plummeted.   the cost of NEW solar is in the same ballpark as the price of NEW coal .... even BEFORE you add in the cost of better scrubbers and tack-on carbon capture technology.

Historical summary of EIA's LCOE projections (2010–2017)
Estimate in $/MWh Coal
convent'l
NG combined cycle Nuclear
advanced
Wind Solar
of year ref for year convent'l advanced onshore offshore PV CSP
2010 [54] 2016 100.4 83.1 79.3 119.0 149.3 191.1 396.1 256.6
2011 [55] 2016 95.1 65.1 62.2 114.0 96.1 243.7 211.0 312.2
2012 [56] 2017 97.7 66.1 63.1 111.4 96.0 N/A 152.4 242.0
2013 [57] 2018 100.1 67.1 65.6 108.4 86.6 221.5 144.3 261.5
2014 [58] 2019 95.6 66.3 64.4 96.1 80.3 204.1 130.0 243.1
2015 [53] 2020 95.1 75.2 72.6 95.2 73.6 196.9 125.3 239.7
2016 [59] 2022 NB 58.1 57.2 102.8 64.5 158.1 84.7 235.9
2017 [60] 2022 NB 58.6 53.8 96.2 55.8 NB 73.7 NB
Nominal change 2010–2017 NB −29% −32% −19% −63% NB −81% NB
Note: Projected LCOE are adjusted for inflation and calculated on constant dollars based on two years prior to the release year of the estimate.
Estimates given without any subsidies. Transmission cost for non-dispatchable sources are on average much higher.

NB = "Not built" (No capacity additions are expected.)

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

the most recent solar power that has been built in the USA (2017) has cost $73 per megawatt hour.... the most recent coal Production in the USA (2015) cost $95.1 per MWH 

There was an article yesterday that while Ivanka was disappointed in the decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement, her real fight is going to be over "women's issues,"   Well....she better come up with some better negotiating skills soon.....

The Affordable Care Act requires nearly all employers to offer health insurance that covers access to a wide array of contraceptive methods. The draft proposal, if finalized, would significantly broaden the type of companies and organizations that can request an exemption. This could lead to many American women who currently receive no-cost contraception having to pay out of pocket for their medication.

I swear it's like he walks out, whips out his little pee-pee and lays it on the podium. 

This move seems UNIVERSALLY disliked. Social media, most news outlets and even known conservative friends are like, "Why?" Steve Bannon must have that hand lodged so far up that it's hitting the rational part of his brain (if it even exists).

Bottom line is: I have never known hate like this for someone I don't know. I "say" I hate Tony Romo, but meh, I'd have a beer with him if he invited me. If Donald Trump offered me a million bucks, no strings attached, I'd tell him to go **** himself.

1 minute ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Bottom line is: I have never known hate like this for someone I don't know. I "say" I hate Tony Romo, but meh, I'd have a beer with him if he invited me. If Donald Trump offered me a million bucks, no strings attached, I'd tell him to go **** himself.

Totally agree! Loathing is my word for how I feel about Trump. 

2 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

in unrelated news... Antarctica is close to launching one of the greatest icebergs in recorded history.... an iceberg the size of Delaware.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/massive-crack-in-antarctica-ice-shelf-grows-11-miles-in-only-6-days/ar-BBBMSAL?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Making Antarctica great again!!!

That's an awesome accomplishment!! Good for them! I never thought they'd be able to acheive this in our lifetime!

Archived