Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

44 minutes ago, twa said:

good point, we need to draft some different ones....know any?

Interestingly the military brass rejects the idea of the draft because the military is too highly trained and specialized. It is too technical to be turned over to draftees.

Why is it that the pacifist has to educate the hawk? Probably because I read.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

And don't get me started on how our police departments are already militarized.  (I think that's more of the connection I was trying to make.)

Eh, pluses and minuses in everything.

That's a relatively minor problem compared to the completely untrained police officers we have out there shooting kids with bb guns in the park. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You all do realize that the vast majority of the military is not combat related in training or experience and they want jobs when they separate also, right?

But I watched a war movie once and they all had guns

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Interestingly the military brass rejects the idea of the draft because the military is too highly trained and specialized. It is too technical to be turned over to draftees.

Why is it that the pacifist has to educate the hawk? Probably because I read.

So you are saying those poor Southerners are the intelligent ones and the problem both?

I'm so confused....could you read some more for me :)

11 hours ago, Mooka said:

Eh, pluses and minuses in everything.

That's a relatively minor problem compared to the completely untrained police officers we have out there shooting kids with bb guns in the park. 

Yep, especially when they roll a tank into, say, Ferguson.  Or anywhere.

@AsburySkinsFan was absolutely SPOT ON earlier.  To kill is ingrained in a Marine.  Or a Seal...you destroy the target, or die trying.   Not saying the whole idea needs to be scrapped, but we can't help the vets enough with handling their issues coming back from war zones as it is...let's not throw them into another one.  Serious vetting, that's all.  (And until we get them on their feet here at home, let's try not to put heroes in more danger of their families losing them.)  

15 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

(Hint: we're running out of poor kids willing to defend us.) 

Is it just the poor kids willing to defend us?  As a 20 year (still on Active Duty) Soldier, I don't see a lot of "poor" kids coming into the Army.  There is a significant number of Soldiers who come in to serve this nation and come from middle class (even some wealthy) families because they feel the need to serve something greater than themselves.  Are there Soldiers from "poor" families, yes, they also come in to serve this great nation and see an opportunity to improve their future with state of the art training and education.  When did service to our country become only for those poor uneducated kids? 

15 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Not to mention that the principles between law enforcement and military are drastic. Military training is meant to become second nature, police training most often requires restraint. The guiding principles between the two are not the same.

Can you explain your reasoning behind this statement?  Are you assuming the Military training doesn't teach restraint?  Is your assumption that we are trained to kill the enemy without regard to collateral damage and/or innocent civilians?  If so, that is surprising to me, I must have missed that part of our training for our combat deployments.  We are trained to follow rules of engagement, these are very strict and require MUCH restraint on our part.  Now, there are MANY different jobs in the Military, not all are combat jobs, most fall under combat support (Military Police, Supply, Medical, Transportation, etc)  which require different levels of training, but ALL have to follow the same rules of engagement.

I would also disagree with you if you are implying Military Service members are unable to adapt their training into civilian law enforcement.  We have some of the most professional individuals today leaving the Military who have ZERO issues transferring into civilian law enforcement.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

To kill is ingrained in a Marine.  Or a Seal...you destroy the target, or die trying.  

As a Former Marine and current Soldier, I disagree with your statement.  Yes, we are trained to fight and win wars, that is our primary mission.  But to assume we are just trained to kill is a misstatement.  There is a lot more than just killing the enemy, we aren't just blind sheep marching into an area killing everything we see.  If that is what you are saying, you are incorrect.  Yes, we have a mission, yes, we want to destroy the enemy, but, the goal is to protect as many innocent civilians and reduce the collateral damage as much as possible.  Often times, that desire to protect innocent civilians is used against us by the enemy, however, we will never go out and just blindly kill everything we see.

Just now, Rskins06 said:

As a Former Marine and current Soldier, I disagree with your statement.  Yes, we are trained to fight and win wars, that is our primary mission.  But to assume we are just trained to kill is a misstatement.  There is a lot more than just killing the enemy, we aren't just blind sheep marching into an area killing everything we see.  If that is what you are saying, you are incorrect.  Yes, we have a mission, yes, we want to destroy the enemy, but, the goal is to protect as many innocent civilians and reduce the collateral damage as much as possible.  Often times, that desire to protect innocent civilians is used against us by the enemy, however, we will never go out and just blindly kill everything we see.

I'm former Navy (out since '86), and I understand your position.  Meanwhile, I'll hold mine on "vetting". 

While I was in during peacetime, I know I cannot possibly grasp what a soldier goes through in wartime.  I just worry that some of our very many returning patriots are having physical or mental issues that haven't been addressed by the VA yet, they're waiting for evals to qualify them for such stressful situations.

By no means was I saying that "they can't handle it", I just think it may need to be case by case. 

And with all sincerity, thanks for everything you do.  Carry on smartly.:D

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm former Navy (out since '86), and I understand your position.  Meanwhile, I'll hold mine on "vetting". 

While I was in during peacetime, I know I cannot possibly grasp what a soldier goes through in wartime.  I just worry that some of our very many returning patriots are having physical or mental issues that haven't been addressed by the VA yet, they're waiting for evals to qualify them for such stressful situations.

By no means was I saying that "they can't handle it", I just think it may need to be case by case. 

And with all sincerity, thanks for everything you do.  Carry on smartly.:D

I can absolutely understand your position on vetting and do not totally disagree.  I can tell you honestly, nothing compares you for what you see and go through in combat, there are things you can't just forget.  I can understand the concern for returning vets, however, please don't put veterans in a box and just assume we are unable to transition into civilian workforce due to prior experiences.  Yes, I could agree on a case by case basis, some are more affected than others.

Also, thank you for your service as well.  Peacetime or wartime, you served and deserve to be recognized.

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

"Kill em all, let god sort em out" is actually a slogan for Orkin.  Marines are way too busy cooking cream chipped beef and doing IT to come up with catchphrases like that.

Yes, that is a pretty interesting quote.  It was actually first stated in the 1200's "Kill them all, GOD will recognize his own", then in Vietman where it became "Kill em all, let God sort em out" to the current version "Kill em all, let Allah sort em out".  You could probably google military slogans and find a whole bunch of cool slogans and mottos.  "Protect and Serve", "This we'll Defend", "Semper Fi", etc.  Doesn't mean they are our battle cry and how we fight wars today.  If that is what your statement was inferring. 

Well, I can tell you, there is gratification when in a combat zone making something out of nothing to eat, all kinds of crazy combinations you can make with MRE's.  You can even go on youtube, find Soldiers, Marines, etc. making pizza, cream chipped beaf, etc.  Crazy what we can come up with to eat in the desert. 

Archived