Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

Just now, ejay183 said:

The overthrows are going to happen in games. I am not excusing them, but those are missed chances to help your team. That endzone INT directly hurts the teams chance to win and was 100% avoidable. That play worries me more than overthrowing WRs.

Those over throws were with great protection. An NFL QB MUST hit those passes

13 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

He has zero confidence.  I am sorry, but if we stink, we need to draft another QB next year.  This QB is not trustworthy.

If we're in the market for a QB, I want that Louisville kid.  That guy is really something!

But realistically, Cousins needs a sports psychologist - or a hypnotist.

It is very distressing to watch our Starting Quarterback operating with the mental toughness of an institutionalized lunatic.

2 minutes ago, ejay183 said:

The overthrows are going to happen in games. I am not excusing them, but those are missed chances to help your team. That endzone INT directly hurts the teams chance to win and was 100% avoidable. That play worries me more than overthrowing WRs.

His overthrows were cancelled out by underthrowing Doctson.

Those overthrows are costing touchdowns which would have made the pick irrelevant.  The opportunity cost is getting overshadowed by the stat line.

I am sorry, but this is the NFL, he has to make those throws. He makes them, the game is over by halftime.

16 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

I don't see it getting better.  It's admirable that Kirk bet on himself, but if he couldn't handle the pressure going into the Regular Season, how in the hell is he going to perform well in New York in a Must Win Division Game?

It's hard to see a good outcome next week already.

And does he ever play well there?

Gonna move this here where it fits better...

The issue is Kirk's ball placement has always been iffy. His completion percentage is high because he is usually smart about finding the open guy, but our hot streak last year featured a LOT of great plays on the ball by our weapons on meh throws that were close enough to catch but not "great" throws. Unfortunately those are the same balls he's not giving our guys a chance to win right now, seems afraid to throw up the contested balls. Which is ironic because all of his INT's are coming on awful decisions straight to defenders and not on contested balls that he tosses up there for our receivers. 

Now don't get me wrong, he does throw some dimes, like the TD to Crowder today and plenty of nice throws last year. But his high completion percentage isn't totally a representation of how accurate he is on a play to play basis.

Basically Kirk is capable of putting up elite level numbers but isn't actually a special passer, if that makes sense. This may be why we were hesitant to pay him like one--its clearly a system thing, he can succeed in this system but doesn't elevate it. 

I mean his best attributes last year were his decision making, and his high completion percentage. If I can explain away, to a degree, how important the completion percentage is because he's not actually extremely accurate, and he's throwing dumb INT's he should never throw again...what's left? 

I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying this is probably why we didn't give him a huge contract when everyone said we probably should.

Cousins has looked terrible but it isn't all him. The defense still is the issue. Ryan Kerrigan crashes down inside and takes himself out of plays that go for first downs and big plays but no one says anything about that. The first play of the game Dak Prescott did a bootleg and Kerrigan was crashing inside. Lavao gets pushed back into the backfield every time. They rush 3 and cousin has to run hurry a throw. Penalties and poor tackling. This team will not have a winning record this year because they haven't fixed anything. If you look at at the history over the last 10 to 15 years this team always loses to Rookie QB's and returning players they released or let go. You can say that it is only two games but every team sees the blood in the water and they will continue to take advantage of this team. 

5 minutes ago, ejay183 said:

I agree, and that INT he threw was with protection. What i am saying is that a dumb endzone INT is way worst than overthrowing your WRs

If he doesn't overhthrow his WRs (and underthrow Doctson) that's very realistically 21 extra points...meaning, Cousins has no reason to throw a pass that late in the game in the red zone, which means there's no chance of him throwing an INT. They just run the ball three times, run off time, and add on 3 points as the cherry on top. The ONLY reason he threw that INT is because he blew three very real TD throws earlier in the game.

34 minutes ago, FS#21 said:

So do we really want to start over on offense? That's what we are facing by letting Cousins walk at the end of the season. He won't take less than going rate because QBs are few and far in the league. 

He will have no choice but to take a low ball deal since he proves over and over he Can't handle big game pressure especially in a contract year.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You know, I'm not even that upset about that throw. You got a guy that open, you have to make sure you complete the pass. I'd rather he under throw it a bit and get the big gain than try to be too fine with it and risk an overthrow.

I don't disagree, but with a decent pass there is no end zone interception.  All these games are tight now, you can't blow opportunities.  Especially if you get paid $50K per completion.

39 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Cousins has been terrible for the first two weeks of the season. I kinda felt like this was going to happen when I kept hearing reports from camp about inaccurate passes. About how a receiver would've had a great play if the ball was there. And here we are, his passes are all over the place. He has no balls. He's more emotional in the pocket than a 14 year old girl. 

I didn't hear that but if that's the case, why was he treated with kid gloves all offseason like the coaches just knew he would not the ground running and pick up where he left off. 

Oh, let's throw in all his offseason traveling to London and press tours and all the other bull**** he was doing this season. 

The guy thought he had arrived. Then the sesson rolls around he can't handle the pressure of his contract or the team success expectations on him. 

Looking back on the game I have this to add. Cousins had multiple open running lanes to pick up 10-20 yards without taking any type of hits. You can literally see it in his eyes, his 1st read isin't there so he gets jumpy and anxious. All while Dak Rookie Prescot is looking calm and cool like the other side of the pillow. (RIP Stu) 

Archived